You’re likely already aware, but many of the services you use every day are region-locked. Netflix, for instance, changes its content depending on where you are in the world, but some platforms (like BBC iPlayer or Kenya’s KTN) simply won’t work if you’re outside a specific country. Don’t give up just yet, though; with the right VPN, you can access all of your usual services while traveling in Kenya.
VPNs keep your activities hidden by encrypting your traffic and sending it through a server somewhere else in the world (thereby changing your IP address). One major advantage of this is that you can use them to spoof your location. For instance, by using a Kenyan server, you can access geo-blocked Kenyan websites abroad.
We’ll be reviewing each of our recommended VPNs in greater detail later but if you’re in a rush, you’ll find a brief overview of the best VPNs for Kenya below:
Best VPNs for Kenya
- NordVPN: Our top choice for Kenya. Impressive speeds and above-average unblocking capabilities. Plenty of customizable security features, a no-logs policy, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. With solid speeds, a great record on privacy, and several advanced security options, this VPN lets you browse in Kenya without worrying about who might be watching.
- ExpressVPN: A security-conscious VPN boasting high speeds, a no-logs policy, and the ability to unblock all kinds of services abroad.
- CyberGhost: Great for beginners. This service offers comprehensive security, reliable speeds, and strong unblocking potential at a very reasonable price point.
- Hotspot Shield: Unlimited bandwidth, user-friendly apps, and great unblocking ability make this ideal for streaming. It includes a wide range of security and privacy features.
- IPVanish: A fast and lightweight service that puts your privacy first. Strong on security and keeps no logs. Unblocks a decent number of popular streaming platforms.
- PrivateVPN: This zero-logs provider lets users stream, browse, or torrent securely from anywhere, even Kenya. What’s more, it provides higher speeds than many of its rivals.
Every VPN is different, with some prioritizing security and others focusing solely on speed. Generally, though, it’s best to choose a well-balanced service that can handle all of the most commonly-encountered tasks like unblocking streaming sites or letting you torrent safely. This is why all of the VPNs we’re recommending share the following characteristics:
- Has a large network of servers, preferably with some in Kenya
- Provides consistently high speeds
- Can unblock some of the most popular region-locked services abroad
- Keeps you safe with cutting-edge security features
- Refuses to log any data that could personally identify you
- Offers apps for the most common operating systems
Best VPN for Kenya
Let’s take a closer look at the best VPNs for Kenya:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers one of the largest networks of any provider, with more than 5,000 servers in 59 countries (although not Kenya, unfortunately). This service has gained quite a following for its solid speeds and fantastic unblocking capabilities, but it also offers unlimited bandwidth, making it a strong choice for torrenting too. NordVPN allows you to connect up to six devices at once.
This VPN has plenty of advanced security features built-in. For instance, there’s IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, and an app-specific kill switch. That’s not all: it also offers automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, and access to special obfuscated servers that are designed to give you even greater privacy. Further, NordVPN keeps no logs and accepts cryptocurrency payments. Support staff are on-hand 24/7 via live chat.
NordVPN has apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux. Certain routers are supported via manual configuration.
- Speeds are faster than any other VPN on the market
- Unblocks all but the most stubborn services
- Large network
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Zero logs kept
- Closest servers are in South Africa
BEST VPN FOR KENYA:NordVPN is our top choice. It puts your privacy above all else and boasts a wealth of security features, a large network, and speedy servers that can handle whatever you throw at them. There’s also a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has 3,200+ servers in more than 60 countries (although none in Kenya). It’s capable of reliably unblocking popular geo-restricted services like Netflix and Sling TV, and provides reliable low-latency connections, which makes for flawless streaming. While many other VPNs restrict the number of devices you can connect, Surfshark lets you secure every device you own simultaneously.
This VPN comes packed with advanced security features. To begin with, there’s WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and 256-bit AES encryption. Users can also enable automatic malware-scanning and a NoBorders mode that lets you get around strict country-wide internet blocking. Surfshark is a zero-logs provider, and as such can’t reveal details of your activities under any circumstances. Need help? Contact support via 24/7 live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. Manual configuration is required for use with supported internet routers.
- Steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Great at unblocking stubborn services abroad
- Keeps no logs
- Spotless privacy record
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Doesn’t have any Kenyan servers
- Some servers are much slower than others
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is fast, and affordable, with unlimited bandwidth, no connection limit, and fantastic unblocking ability. Needless to say, this makes it a strong choice for Kenya, whether you’re looking to stream or just browse safely. It even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN gives you the freedom to safely access all of your usual services in Kenya. In fact, it unblocks huge international platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, so there are very few services you won’t be able to use. Further, with 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, high speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a five-connection limit, you can browse and stream safely, even when you’re away from home.
This service has an impressive range of features designed to keep you safe online. User traffic is hidden using WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, and a kill switch. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, a country with no mandatory data retention laws, and accordingly, doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. Support staff can be reached (via email or live chat) around the clock if you have any issues.
ExpressVPN has apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. If you’d prefer, you can also install its custom router firmware to automatically secure any device on your network. In our view ExpressVPN is the best VPN currently available.
- Fast and reliable Kenyan servers
- Perfect for streaming TV abroad
- Leading security and privacy features turned on by default
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher price than some others
- Could provide more control over advanced features
SPEEDY KENYAN SERVERS:ExpressVPN offers high-speed servers, excellent unblocking ability, and an impressive range of security features, as well as a 30-day money-back guarantee that lets you try it risk-free.
Read the complete ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost provides access to 10 Kenyan servers, and over 6,400 in total across 89 countries. This expansive network, coupled with consistently high speeds and strong unblocking ability make CyberGhost invaluable for anyone looking to browse freely in Kenya. What’s more, it has a generous connection limit, allowing users to secure up to seven devices at once.
As all of its security features are enabled by default, this service offers one-click protection from the get-go. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, an always-on kill switch, protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, an ad-blocker, and a malware-scanner. Equally important, CyberGhost refuses to log any data that could be traced back to you. Help is never more than a few minutes away since this VPN offers a 24/7 live chat support service.
CyberGhost offers novice-friendly apps for Android, iOS, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. It can also be manually configured for supported network routers.
- Has the most Kenyan servers of any major provider
- Consistently high speeds
- Very good and unblocking geo-restricted sites and content
- Comprehensive security in one click
- May be less suitable for power users
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
GOOD FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost is an affordable service that nevertheless boasts an impressive combination of speed, security, and versatility. In fact, it even works with stubborn services like Netflix US. This VPN comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
For more details, check out our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to more than 3,200 servers in over 80 countries, including Kenya. This makes it an invaluable tool for unblocking region-locked platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or BBC iPlayer when traveling abroad. What’s more, this service boasts consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth so you’ll be able to watch free from lag and buffering.
Of course, VPNs are privacy tools first and foremost. Hotspot Shield offers an impressive array of security features like 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, automatic wifi protection, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. What’s more, this service doesn’t keep any personally identifiable data after your session is over, meaning you can browse without worrying about snoopers. Should you need any help, live chat-based support is available around the clock.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Android. Additionally, this VPN can be manually installed on Linux systems and some wireless routers.
- High-speed, low-latency connections
- 24/7 support
- Has no problems unblocking Netflix, ITV Hub, and more
- Takes user security seriously
- Working to repair reputation after past privacy issues
WATCH TV ABROAD:Hotspot Shield makes it easy to watch your favorite shows abroad. It also provides reliable, secure connections and is fast enough for uninterrupted live streaming and torrenting. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Interested? Take a look at the full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish users can connect to over 1,400 servers in 60+ countries. While there aren’t any Kenyan servers to choose from, this high-speed VPN does allow you to unblock popular services like Netflix US and YouTube TV from anywhere in the world. Better still, it permits any number of simultaneous connections, which is far more generous than many of its rivals.
This service comes packed with a surprising number of security features given how lightweight its apps are. There’s 256-bit encryption, for instance, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, a local traffic blocker, and the option to scramble your OpenVPN traffic, making it harder to detect that you’re using a VPN. IPVanish follows a strict no-logs policy. Additionally, users can contact support staff over live chat, day or night.
IPVanish offers easy-to-use Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows apps. Further, with a little manual configuration, it can secure your home router and Linux system too.
- Plenty of fast, low latency servers to choose from
- Can unblock Netflix US, Sling TV, and similar services
- Offers a no-logs policy and a wide range of powerful security features
- No Kenyan servers
- Has difficulty unblocking larger streaming services
POWERFUL YET USER-FRIENDLY:IPVanish provides very fast speeds without compromising on security. What’s more, this no-logs VPN can reliably unblock services like Netflix US from abroad. Still not convinced? A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Why not check out the full review of IPVanish?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is faster than many other providers, which helps make up for the fact that it only has around 150 servers. These are spread throughout 60 countries, and as PrivateVPN can bypass all but the most stringent geo-blocking, it’s ideal for watching your favorite shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video while in Kenya. Users can connect up to five devices at any given time.
When it comes to security, this service has you covered. It uses 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection to keep you safe online. Further, PrivateVPN’s no-logs policy ensures that your activities remain private even after your session ends. This VPN’s support team is available most hours of the day, and staff can even remotely connect to your device if you need them to.
PrivateVPN subscribers can download apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. It can also be manually installed on supported routers.
- Among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested
- Exceptional unblocking capabilities
- Powerful security features and a true zero-logs policy
- Small network with no servers in Kenya
- Live chat support not 24/7
EXTREMELY HIGH SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is exceptionally fast, and is known for its fantastic unblocking abilities. However, it’s also a highly secure service and one that doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever. As if this wasn’t enough, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
We go into even more detail in the complete PrivateVPN review.
How to browse the web safely in Kenya using a VPN
Not sure how to get started with VPNs? They’re actually very easy to use. Follow the steps below to browse safely wherever you are in the world.
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Kenya:
- Start by signing up for a suitable VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on whichever devices you use the most. For context, most services let you connect five or so devices at the same time.
- Log in and connect to a server in your desired location (you’ll need a US server to watch HBO, for instance or a British one for BBC iPlayer).
- If you’re looking to access Kenyan websites from abroad, however, you’ll need to choose a Kenyan server to get an IP address from Kenya.
- You’re now protected from snoopers and should be able to access region-locked services from the country your chosen server is in. If not, clear your cookies and reload the page, or contact your VPN’s support staff for further assistance.
TRY IT FREE: If you only need a VPN for a short time, you might want to take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. Although this does require an upfront payment, you’ll be able to try the service risk-free and can simply cancel for a full refund if you’re unimpressed.
Kenya VPN FAQs
Can I use a free VPN service in Kenya?
It’s technically possible to use a free VPN in Kenya but we strongly advise against it. To begin with, these services, with their small networks and huge numbers of users, tend to be far slower than paid VPNs. This makes them unsuitable for browsing, and makes streaming and torrenting all but impossible.
More importantly, free VPNs rarely have the security features required to keep you and your personal information safe. In fact, many don’t even encrypt user traffic, meaning they offer no more protection than browsing normally. To stay as safe as possible online, we recommend using a zero-logs VPN with a strong record on privacy.
Can I watch Kenyan TV online?
Watching Kenyan TV online is really quite simple since many of the country’s most popular channels offer free live streams. However, some of these are geo-restricted and cannot be accessed when you’re traveling abroad. Some channels you can access using a VPN include:
- Citizen TV
- Switch TV
- Kass TV
What can I do with a VPN in Kenya?
Kenya’s government doesn’t block much at the moment, but when it comes to online censorship, things can change very quickly. On the plus side, bypassing country-wide restrictions is very simple; you just have to connect to a VPN server somewhere else in the world. You can also use this method to access your favorite streaming services, regardless of whether they’re actually available in Kenya or not.
If you try logging in to your Chase, Wells Fargo, or Bank of America online banking service in Kenya, you may well find your account access limited. Unfortunately, while these automated systems were designed with good intentions, they’re unable to distinguish between someone on vacation and an international fraudster. By connecting to a VPN server in your home country first, though, you can reduce the likelihood that your bank even realizes you’re abroad.
Note: we don’t encourage or condone using a VPN to access content that’s illegal in your location. If you’re in any doubt, we strongly recommend reading up on your country’s relevant legislation.