Chances are you’ve already tried to watch Optus Sport online from abroad (outside Australia) and found the content to be blocked. If so, you likely came across the following error message:
“Optus Sport is unavailable in your location. We noticed that you’re attempting to view Optus Sport content. Access is restricted to viewers within Australia only.”
Geo-restricted content isn’t uncommon and for this reason, many people choose to use a VPN to access the likes of Optus Sport, Stan, and Fox. In case you’re unfamiliar with the term, a VPN is a Virtual Private Network. Not only does a VPN serve to hide your IP address and location, but it also lets you unblock Optus Sport abroad. This means you can access restricted content while surfing the web more safely than ever before.
How to stream Optus Sport abroad with a VPN
Streaming Optus Sport outside Australia is easy with a quality VPN. Here’s how to stream Optus Sport abroad:
- Choose and sign up for one of the best VPNs for Optus Sport – we recommend NordVPN but Surfshark and ExpressVPN are good, affordable alternatives.
- Download and install the VPN software. Be sure to choose the right version for your operating system.
- Select one of the VPN’s Australian servers (this is the only country that Optus Sport is available in) to obtain an Australian IP address.
- Access Optus Sport via your new VPN (set to an Australia-based server). The content should now be unblocked.
- If it still doesn’t work, note that you may need to clear your browser’s cookies or connect to another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Optus Sport with no restrictions for a month - perfect if you happen to be going on vacation!
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
So how are you supposed to choose between the many different VPNs available on the market today? We came up with our list of the best VPNs for Optus Sport based on the following criteria:
- Servers in Australia (and dozens of countries worldwide)
- High speed connections for lag-free streaming
- Strong security features including encryption
- A strict no-logs policy when it comes to your data
- Customer support that is available 24 hours a day
Don’t have time to read the full post? Here’s a quick summary of each of the best VPNs for Optus Sport to save you some time:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Optus Sport. Nearly 200 servers in Australia. Fast, unthrottled connections. Includes 24/7 support, specialty servers, and a strict no-logs policy.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Works with popular streaming services including Optus Sport and Netflix. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Double VPN servers.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries including Australia. Stream Optus Sport lag-free. Strong security with encryption. 24/7 live chat and email support.
- CyberGhost: Over 7,000 servers worldwide (nearly 240 in Australia for streaming Optus Sport). Unlimited bandwidth. Use on up to seven devices.
- IPVanish: Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Servers in five Australian cities for accessing Optus Sport. Security includes encryption.
- PrivateVPN: High-speed connections and reliable unblocking of Optus Sport. User-friendly apps and strong privacy protection with a strict no-logs policy.
Here is our list of the best VPNs for Optus Sport:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for watching Optus Sport online from abroad. It operates a huge network which includes nearly 200 servers in Australia. The sheer number available means you should have no problem streaming Optus Sport abroad. You can find servers located in five Australian cities: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. Indeed, there are over 5,000 servers across 60 countries around the globe. Needless to say, this makes NordVPN an excellent VPN for unblocking Optus Sport as well as accessing the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Not only is it possible to use NordVPN on up to 6 devices simultaneously, you also have the option of specialty servers (Double VPN, P2P, Onion Over VPN and Dedicated IP). However, NordVPN also has all of the security features expected including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. A strict no-logs policy means you can surf the web with peace of mind.
NordVPN apps are available for Windows, Android, Linux, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. There are also browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox while use with routers requires manual configuration.
- Operates approximately 200 servers in Australia
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for HD streaming
- Includes specialty servers such as P2P and Double VPN
- Highly secure thanks to encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support are available 24 hours a day
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR OPTUS SPORT:NordVPN is our top choice. Very fast speeds and works well with Optus Sport while abroad. Strong security features and allows 6 devices to be used simultaneously. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee so you can try it our risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that has over 3,000 servers in 65 countries including Australia. It’s capable of unblocking not just Optus Sport, but also services like 7plus and 9Now, meaning you’re free to watch whatever you like. Plus with high speeds and no connection limit, you can stream live sports in the highest possible quality, whether you’re at home or on the go.
This service’s security features include a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, an ad-blocker, and automatic malware-scanning. Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, so your privacy is guaranteed. If you’d prefer, you can pay anonymously using cryptocurrency. Need help? You can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
Surfshark has apps for Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Linux. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. However, it must be manually installed on network routers.
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested — ideal for live sports streaming
- Almost 100 servers in multiple cities in Australia
- Works with a wide range of streaming services
- No connection limit — secure all of your devices at once
- Powerful security features including MultiHop servers
- Switching servers can be slow
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark can help you circumvent restrictions while providing you with a secure, private connection. Secure all of your devices simultaneously. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is another solid VPN for watching Optus Sport outside Australia. It has high-speed servers in Australia located in the cities of Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. ExpressVPN has over 3,000 VPN servers across 94 countries, allowing you to access content around the world including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
ExpressVPN offers plenty of security features. You can expect 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS leak protection. A kill switch stops your IP address from being leaked should the VPN server connection drop. Crucially, ExpressVPN is a private VPN service that keeps no identifying logs of your connection or activity.
ExpressVPN is available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll also find browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge as well as custom firmware for routers.
- Operates high-speed servers in multiple cities across Australia
- Network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries worldwide
- Consistently unblocks the likes of Optus Sport and Stam
- Strong encryption makes for solid security and privacy
- Live chat and email support available 24/7
- Slightly more expensive than the other VPNs listed
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is a fast, reliable VPN that is great for streaming. It works with a whole host of streaming services and offers top-notch security. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a reliable VPN that we’ve found to be particularly easy to use. It has well over 200 servers in Australia which are located in Melbourne and Sydney. Overall, this service has an impressive network of more than 3,000 servers – more than most VPNs on the market. When you’re not streaming Optus Sport with CyberGhost, you can let it automatically choose the best country and server, optimising your VPN experience.
We found CyberGhost to provide fast and consistent streaming speeds and appreciate that there’s unlimited bandwidth and traffic. This high quality performance can be experienced on up to 7 devices simultaneously — more than most VPNs allow. CyberGhost is also a very safe VPN with a strict no logs policy as well as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IP leak protection and a kill switch. If you have any doubts about choosing CyberGhost, there’s excellent 24/7 live chat support.
CyberGhost is available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. You’ll need to follow manual setup instructions in order to use it with your wifi router.
- 200+ servers in Australia for easy unblocking of Optus Sport
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- Can be used on up to seven devices at the same time
- Provides 24/7 live chat and email support
- Strict no-logs policy ensures your privacy is protected
- Doesn’t work in China or UAE
200+ SERVERS IN AUSTRALIA:CyberGhost is great for beginners. It’s fast, consistent, and very secure. Over 200 servers in Australia. 45-day money-back guarantee
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a US-based VPN provider with dozens of servers located in Australia alone. In total, IPVanish has over 1,900 servers worldwide. This means that you can not only use IPVanish to watch Optus Sport outside Australia but also the likes of Netflix US. This is a VPN that offers particularly fast speeds for uninterrupted streaming. What’s more, you can use IPVanish on as many devices as you like simultaneously, making this an excellent VPN for families.
Aside from being very fast, IPVanish is user-friendly and makes switching servers nice and simple. Security is also extremely important in a VPN and IPVanish does offer 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. A strict zero-logs policy means that you can use IPVanish with your personal information intact.
IPVanish is available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual setup is needed for Linux and routers.
- Dozens of servers in Australia for streaming Optus Sport
- Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth for little to no lag
- Strong encryption and privacy protection
- Use it on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Headquartered in the US which is a Five Eyes member
- No browser extensions available
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish has a decent network of servers and lets you secure all of your devices at once. Security includes encryption while there’s strong privacy protection with its zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a small Swedish VPN provider with around 200 servers in over 60 countries. It offers higher speeds than most paid VPNs and, aside from Optus Sport can also help you access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Our experience with PrivateVPN has been positive with consistent streaming and no buffering or lag. This is thanks to the unlimited bandwidth and speed offered.
Your activities are kept private with 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS and lPv6 leaks. A kill switch is enabled by default so that internet traffic is cut off should the VPN connection drop. It’s also important to know that PrivateVPN has a strict no-logs policy. We found Private VPN’s customer support to be quick and responsive in our enquiries, which is not always the case even with some paid VPNs.
PrivateVPN is available for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll need to configure it manually if you want to use it with your wireless router.
- Unblocks Optus Sports and other popular streaming sites
- High-speed connections coupled with unlimited bandwidth
- Privacy and security features are solid
- Connect up to six devices at the same time
- Limited server network
- Live chat support isn’t 24/7
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:Privacy unblocks a plethora of streaming sites It focuses on quality as opposed to quantity in order to get the job done. Includes 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Our methodology for finding the best VPNs for Optus Sport
There’s a lot of research and testing that goes into finding the best VPNs. After all, there are multiple boxes that need to be ticked. For starters, a VPN must offer servers in Australia and unblock Optus Sport. Not to mention the importance of server speed and security! Read on to find out a little more about our methodology:
- Servers in Australia: Optus Sport content is region-locked and only available to stream in Australia. This means that you must use a VPN that offers servers in Australia in order to access Optus Sport from abroad. You can then connect and get an Australian IP address.
- Speed: Live sports streaming requires fast server speeds as well as unthrottled bandwidth. This allows you to watch Optus Sport online from abroad without suffering lag and buffering. We’ve found the fastest VPNs to allow you to do this, many of which also support WireGuard for even faster connections.
- Network size: The more servers in Australia, the better your chances of finding a high-speed server for streaming Optus Sport. However, you may also want access to servers in other countries such as the US and UK for streaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Security: A VPN should allow you to browse and stream with significantly reduced risk. That’s because your data is encrypted and secured from hackers. If you want even greater protection, look to Surfshark and NordVPN, both of which offer Double VPN servers for twice the level of encryption.
- Privacy: It’s important to know that some VPNs don’t properly protect your privacy. Indeed, some may keep logs an sell them to third parties or share them with authorities upon request. We’ve only selected VPNs that don’t keep identifying logs. To find them, we’ve analysed some 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: Some VPNs make connecting to a server overly complicated. The best VPNs for watching Optus Sport online have user-friendly apps. Better still, they all offer live chat and email support as well as various setup guides to make the whole process even easier!
- Value for money: You can find VPNs to suit all budgets. Indeed, there are even free VPNs (we don’t recommend them). The VPNs in this post offer all of the above features while remaining value for money. Our VPN discount coupons can also help you save even further.
We look for all of the above in a VPN and then test it in areas including speed and security. This is all part of our VPN testing methodology which helps us find the best VPNs and provide you with the most informative and factually accurate reviews.
How to watch Optus Sport online from abroad: FAQ
Can I watch Optus Sport with a free VPN?
Yes, some free VPNs will also allow you to watch Optus Sport. However, we don’t recommend free VPNs for a number of reasons. Generally speaking, free VPNs offer poor performance. You’ll find that servers can be slow while video buffering and lag tend to be excessive. This is expected since so many people are choosing to use the same free VPN. If there are too many users and too few servers, as well as caps on data and bandwidth, you’re going encounter a lot of limitations.
We’ve found that free VPNs are not as safe as paid VPNs. With fewer security features on offer, a free VPN may help you unblock a particular streaming service but it may not have a kill switch, for example. This means that your IP address and location could be exposed should the connection to the VPN server drop even for a second. What’s more, many free VPNs keep logs of user activity. If you’re not paying for the product, you probably are the product. Some free VPNs make money from selling your data to third parties and by targeting you with ads.
What can I watch on Optus Sport?
Optus Sport focuses almost entirely on football (or “soccer” depending on where you’re from!). Here’s what you can watch on Optus Sport:
- Premier League
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Europa League
The above content is broken down into live streams, replays, highlights, and more. Optus Sport channels consist of the following:
- Optus Sport 1 (24/7 football channel)
- Optus Sport 2 (overflow channel)
- Optus Sport 3-11 (remaining overflow channels)
Can I use Optus Sport on Fire TV Stick?
Yes, you can use Optus Sport on your Amazon Fire TV Stick. In order to do so, you'll need to download the Optus Sport app onto your Fire Stick device. Remember, Optus Sport is only available in Australia. If you're traveling abroad, you'll need to first connect to a VPN (most of the VPNs in this post offer apps for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick), connect to a server in Australia, and you should be all set!