With UKTV Play, you can catch up on Dave, Drama, and Yesterday content for free. This means you’ll be able to stream TV shows such as The Bill, Abandoned Engineering, and Late Night Mash. The trouble is that due to copyright restrictions, UKTV Play content is region-locked outside the UK. In order to watch it online while traveling abroad, you’ll need to connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN establishes a secure and private connection between your devices and the internet. Your data is encrypted while you’re assigned a temporary IP address. This lets you trick websites and services into thinking you’re accessing them from within a country in which they’re available. As such, VPNs are a popular choice not only for enjoying improved online security but for bypassing geographic restrictions such as those you’ll find with UKTV Play.
UKTV Play is region-locked, so if you want to watch your home TV content while traveling abroad, you’ll need the help of a VPN.
How to watch UKTV Play online from anywhere with a VPN
Not sure how to go about using a VPN? You might be surprised by how easy it is, particularly with the beginner-friendly services we’ve chosen. By following the step-by-step instructions below, you’ll be ready to watch UKTV Play in a matter of minutes!
Here’s how to watch UKTV Play online from anywhere using a VPN:
- Start by signing up with a VPN provider that offers servers in the UK. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, you should download and install the VPN app on the device or devices on which you’d like to use it.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the UK to get a UK IP address. This lets you access UKTV Play from abroad.
- Go to UKTV Play and sign in. You should now be able to watch all content without restriction, regardless of your location.
- Still doesn’t work? Clear your browser’s cache and cookies or try connecting to another server to change your IP address. Otherwise, contact your VPN’s support.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for UKTV Play with no restrictions for a month. This is ideal if you’re going on vacation and want to continue streaming UKTV Play from abroad.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
While there are a lot of VPNs competing for your attention, not all VPNs are worth your time and money. We found the best VPNs for UKTV Play by ensuring that they meet all of the following requirements:
- UK-based servers that work with UKTV Play
- Fast, unthrottled connections for streaming
- Secure with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Allows at least five simultaneous connections
- Money-back guarantee so you can try risk-free
We go into more detail on our criteria and testing process below.
Just want to watch UKTV Play already? Here’s a short summary of each of the best VPNs for UKTV Play. You can always come back and check out the full reviews if you need more information.
Best VPNs for UKTV Play:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for UKTV Play. Over 400 UK servers and can also be used with BBC iPlayer. Fast speeds and secure with Double VPN servers and a strict no-logs policy.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Fastest speeds tested for lag-free streaming of UKTV Play. Includes Double VPN servers and 24/7 support.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries including the UK. Works with UKTV Play, Netflix, and more. High-speed servers and secure with encryption and a kill switch.
- CyberGhost: 7,000+ servers in 90 countries (over 600 in the UK). Unlimited bandwidth and up to seven simultaneous connections allowed. Strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Connect all of your devices at once. Servers in multiple UK cities for accessing UKTV Play. Also works with Netflix US. No-logs service with 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: Fast server speeds and no bandwidth throttling. Highly reliable — stream UKTV Play, ITV Hub, and more. Easy to use and has a strict no-logs policy.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries. Works with UKTV Play and Amazon Prime. Includes 24/7 support and offers a password manager. Doesn’t keep identifying logs.
Best VPNs to watch UKTV Play online from anywhere
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for UKTV Play:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick for UKTV Play. This is in part thanks to its large network of servers but it’s also made a name for itself with above-average unblocking ability. With more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries (some 400+ of which are located in the UK), this VPN service is ideal for UK streaming services such as UKTV Play, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub. Better still, it provides fast server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth so you can stream as much as you like.
With a NordVPN subscription, you have access to 24/7 live chat and email support. Where it sets itself apart from most VPNs is with its specialty servers which include P2P and Double VPN. Headquartered in Panama, NordVPN isn’t subject to mandatory data retention laws. Besides, it operates a strict no-logs policy. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection, NordVPN even offers a password manager and file encryption with cloud storage.
You’ll find NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. While this VPN can be used with compatible routers, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Large network of 5,000+ servers (over 400 in the UK)
- Unblock and stream UKTV Play, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and more
- Fast server speeds and no bandwidth throttling
- Specialty servers such as P2P and Double VPN
- Includes live chat and email support (available 24/7)
- Operates a strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy
- Victim of a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR UKTV PLAY:NordVPN is our top recommendation for watching UKTV Play online. Highly reliable with very fast speeds. Use it with BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub. No-logs service with P2P and Double VPN servers. 24/7 support. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our budget pick. It has servers in the UK cities of London, Manchester, and Glasgow. This allows you to stream UKTV Play (as well as the likes of BBC iPlayer and TVPlayer) from abroad. Indeed, with its 3,000+ servers in 65 countries (and growing!), you can now securely access over 30 Netflix libraries. This also happens to be the fastest VPN we’ve tested, averaging impressive 207 Mbps speeds. On top of this, you’ll benefit from unthrottled bandwidth.
Planning on sharing your VPN with family members? It’s certainly worth knowing that Surfshark lets you connect as many devices as you like simultaneously. Once connected, all data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption while there’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. A no-logs service, Surfshark offers an extra layer of protection with its MultiHop (Double VPN) servers. If you need help, there’s 24/7 support via live chat email.
With Surfshark, you have access to desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) apps as well as those for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available to download. Manual setup is required for wifi routers.
- Fastest server speeds for streaming UKTV Play lag-free
- Also works with over 30 different Netflix libraries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- MultiHop (Double VPN) servers for a extra layer of security
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Occasionally slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers the fastest speeds for streaming UKTV Play. It also works with 30+ Netflix libraries. Secure all of your devices simultaneously. No-logs VPN with Double VPN servers and live chat and email support, 24/7. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN sets itself apart from most VPNs with a network of over 3,000 servers which cover 94 countries worldwide. Among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, it’s ideal for streaming UKTV Play abroad (or indeed Netflix) and is also P2P-friendly. With unlimited bandwidth, this VPN allows you to stream in the highest quality without having to contend with lag or buffering. You can use ExpressVPN on up to five of your devices simultaneously.
Perhaps one of the easiest VPNs to use, ExpressVPN not only offers beginner-friendly apps but also 24/7 live chat and email support. It ticks all of the boxes when it comes to security too, providing 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. Just as important, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. There’s even the option to pay for this service anonymously in Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV, as are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN is very router-friendly with custom firmware, a new router dashboard interface, and setup guide.
- Servers in 94 countries including the UK for accessing UKTV Play
- High-speed connections as well as unlimited bandwidth
- Works well with many popular streaming services such as Netflix
- Customer support available 24/7 via live chat and email
- Doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users
- A little more expensive than the other VPNs listed
RELIABLE STREAMING:ExpressVPN works well with many popular streaming services including UKTV Play. Servers in 94 countries and fast, unthrottled speeds. Strong security with encryption and no-logs policy. 24/7 support included. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is perfect for traveling abroad because it offers as many as 7,000 servers in 90 countries. If you’d like to watch UKTV Play overseas, keep in mind that this VPN service has more than 600 servers in the UK. These are located in London, Manchester, and Berkshire. When it comes to streaming, you’ll find that the high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth allow you to stream in 1080p HD and even 4K, all without excessive lag.
This VPN has a particularly generous device connection limit — you can use it to secure up to seven devices at once. With its strict no-logs policy, CyberGhost ensures your privacy is protected. Security is further bolstered through 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection. This VPN also offers 24/7 support and, more recently, has introduced its password manager, which is currently in beta testing.
Once signed up, you’ll be able to download CyberGhost apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. You can even manually set it up with your router (if compatible).
- Over 7,000 servers in 90 countries (600+ in the UK)
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming UKTV Play without lag
- Lets you secure up to seven devices at the same time
- Contact live chat and email support around the clock
- High level of security with encryption and strict no-logs policy
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
600+ UK SERVERS:CyberGhost offers more UK servers than any other VPN listed. Some 7,000+ servers worldwide. Secure up to seven devices simultaneously and enjoy unthrottled speeds. Strict no-logs VPN service with 24/7 support. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections — ideal if you have a lot of devices you’d like to secure. With steady speeds, WireGuard support now in beta, and no bandwidth throttling, you’ll have no trouble securely streaming UKTV Play or even Netflix US. In total, this VPN’s network consists of nearly 2,000 servers, more than 500 of which are in the cities of London, Manchester, and Birmingham.
When you connect to an IPVanish server, your data is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. You don’t need to worry about this becoming exposed thanks to further security features including a kill switch and DNS leak protection. Best of all, IPVanish follows a true no-logging policy. There’s even a one-click button that’ll connect you to the fastest available server. 24/7 live chat and email support is available should you encounter any difficulties.
IPVanish apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. While you’ll also find an app for Amazon Fire TV, you’ll need to follow the manual setup instructions provided by IPVanish to use it with Linux or your wireless router.
- Connect all of your device at the same time
- Hundreds of servers across multiple UK cities
- Security features include encryption and zero-logs policy
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Operates out of the US which is a Five Eyes member
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish lets you connect all of your devices simultaneously. Good, consistent speeds for streaming UKTV Play. Servers in several UK cities. Secure thanks to encryption and a zero-logs policy. 24/7 support included. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a streaming-friendly option boasting fast server speeds combined with unlimited bandwidth. You’ll find servers in over 60 countries including London and Manchester. Once you have a UK IP address, you’ll not only be able to watch UKTV Play online from abroad, but also BBC iPlayer and Sky Go. Aside from offering impressive speeds and reliable content unblocking, this VPN allows up to six simultaneous connections per account.
With the PrivateVPN apps, it only takes a few seconds to connect to a server. To save time in future, there’s also the option to favorite servers. While simple to use, this VPN provides live chat and email support as well as free remote help and installation. 256-bit AES encryption is used to keep your data safe from hackers. Aside from DNS leak protection and a kill switch, PrivateVPN operates a strict no-logs policy, ensuring your online anonymity.
The apps PrivateVPN offers are for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. With manual configuration, you can use PrivateVPN with Linux and even your wifi router.
- Fast, unthrottled connections so you can stream in high quality
- Reliable unblocking of UKTV Play, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, and more
- Strict no-logs policy ensures your personal information stays private
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Smaller network of just 100 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
USER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is fast and works with the likes of UKTV Play, BBC iPlayer, and Sky Go. Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms. Live chat and email support. Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield makes it quick and easy to get a UK IP address for accessing and streaming UKTV Play overseas. With over 1,800 servers in 80 countries including the UK, it’s a useful VPN for when you’re traveling abroad and need to bypass geographic restrictions. The connections are consistent, there are specific servers for streaming, and better still, Hotspot Shield doesn’t engage in bandwidth throttling. As such, your TV viewing should be free from interruptions.
Live chat and email support are available 24 hours a day with a Hotspot Shield subscription. There’s also an impressive array of security features. For starters, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a proprietary VPN protocol (though IKEv2 connections are now supported as well), DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. However, this VPN goes above and beyond many others with its offer of a password manager and spam call blocker. This security can cover five devices at the same time.
A Hotspot Shield subscription includes apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. A Chrome browser extension is also offered. If you’d like to use this VPN with your router, you’ll need to set this up manually.
- Server network covers 80 countries including the UK
- Absolutely no bandwidth throttling
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Extras including a password manager and auto wifi protection
- Some past privacy concerns
- No Firefox browser extension
EXTRA FEATURES:Hotspot Shield has servers in 80 countries including the UK for accessing UKTV Play. Also lets you watch Amazon Prime and Hulu. 24/7 support. Doesn’t keep identifying logs and includes a password manager. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Traveling abroad comes with some difficulties when it comes to browsing and streaming. For starters, you may be suffering from slow speeds due to bandwidth throttling. Then there’s the issue that many streaming services are geo-blocked. We kept this in mind (and more) as part of our methodology for finding the best VPNs for watching UKTV Play.
- Servers in the UK: At the very minimum, a VPN must offer servers in the UK if you want to be able to use it to stream UKTV Play while traveling abroad. Indeed, getting a UK IP address via a VPN will also mean that you’ll be able to access the likes of BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub which are also region-locked.
- Speed: The fact that you’re here reading about how to watch UKTV Play tells us you plan on using your VPN for streaming, at least occasionally. This requires high-speed connections and, better still, unlimited bandwidth. The benefit of this is that you can then stream without interruptions such as lag and buffering.
- Network size: The bigger a VPN’s server network, the more content you can access. We’ve selected VPNs that offer thousands of servers across dozens of countries including the UK, US, Australia, and more. Note that more servers should also mean less server load, resulting in better quality connections.
- Security: One of the main advantages of using a VPN is that it encrypts your data, protecting you from various security threats. However, we look for VPNs that offer plenty of extra security measures including protection from DNS leaks and a kill switch. In some cases, Double VPN servers are available.
- Privacy: Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to browse and stream anonymously, particularly if your ISP is keeping logs. The VPNs in this post operate strict no-logs policies. This means that only you have access to your data. In fact, we analysed 140 VPN logging policies to find those that offer the strongest privacy protection.
- Ease of use: A VPN may sound a little bit complicated but the apps should actually be very easy to interact with. Connecting to a server shouldn’t take more than a few seconds if you choose one of the beginner-friendly VPNs listed. What’s more, you’ll have the added advantage of access to 24/7 support.
- Value for money: Many VPNs claim to be the best and charge an exorbitant sum as a result. We don’t believe a VPN should break the bank, particularly with so many services competing for your attention. We look for those that offer a money-back guarantee. You can even use our VPN discount coupons to save a little extra.
Our VPN testing methodology involves the extensive testing of each VPN to find out what’s what. These tests cover areas such as speed, security, and unblocking ability.
Streaming UKTV Play abroad: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to watch UKTV Play abroad?
While there are many free VPNs on the market, it’s important you’re aware of some of the risks of using them. For starters, many are unreliable when it comes to accessing content and will struggle with UKTV Play. Furthermore, the slow server speeds means you’ll be watching in lower resolution and with excessive lag and buffering interrupting your experience. As such, free VPNs aren’t a good choice for streaming while traveling abroad.
However, it’s not just performance issues that free VPNs suffer from. Generally speaking, you’ll be far less secure than if you use a quality paid VPN. A 2020 investigation into the security and privacy of iOS applications found that 22 of 57 free VPNs leaked personally identifiable information. Indeed, many free VPNs fail to properly encrypt data. That’s why it’s so important to stick with the VPNs listed, all of which we’ve tested for ourselves.
What can I watch on UKTV Play?
On UKTV Play, you can watch your favorite content from Dave, Drama, and Yesterday on-demand. Better still, you’ll be able to stream it for free. This includes the following TV shows:
- Late Night Mash
- Abandoned Engineering
- The Bill
- A Place to Call Home
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? USA
- Birds of a Feather
- Great British Railway Journeys
- Storage Hunters UK
- Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled