It’s easy to forget that some of our favorite services aren’t available elsewhere in the world. The problem is that plenty of people only remember this upon arrival in another country. For instance, you can’t use BBC iPlayer outside of the UK, and similarly, won’t be able to stream Qazsport or Balapan TV from outside of Kazakhstan. Of course, with the right VPN, it’s easy to unblock geo-restricted services from abroad.
This works because most region-locked platforms check your IP address to find out where you are. Connecting to a VPN changes your IP address by routing your data through a server in another country. Better still, your VPN traffic is encrypted, meaning it can’t be read by the government, your employer, or your ISP. These features mean a VPN can help you access geo-blocked streaming services and circumvent country-wide internet censorship.
Want to keep things brief? Look below for a short description of the best VPNs for Kazakhstan. Alternatively, keep reading for a more detailed review of each.
Best VPNs for Kazakhstan:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for Kazakhstan. Highly versatile with fast connections and a wide range of security features. Works great with Netflix and Kazakh TV. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark: Our favorite low-cost VPN for Kazakhstan. A security-first service boasting solid speeds, a true no-logs policy, and fantastic unblocking ability.
- CyberGhost: This user-friendly VPN is speedy, secure, and ideal for streaming TV in Kazakhstan or abroad. Has a huge network and doesn’t log any data that could identify you.
- Hotspot Shield: A quick, reliable VPN that works just as well for streaming as it does for torrenting or bypassing censorship. Also comes with an impressive set of security features.
- ZenMate: This VPN is great for streaming, torrenting, or just general browsing thanks to its speedy servers and strong security features. Keeps no logs and allows unlimited connections.
When purchasing a VPN, it’s important not to get swept up by the marketing. For instance, instead of choosing the service that claims to be the fastest, we recommend opting for one that’s more balanced, with an equal focus on security, speed, functionality, and unblocking ability. This way, you’ll know for sure that your VPN will be able to deal with just about anything. With this in mind, here are the criteria we used to find the best VPNs for Kazakhstan:
- Offers access to at least one server in Kazakhstan
- Is fast enough for HD live streaming
- Lets you access some of the most popular geo-blocked services from abroad
- Provides powerful security tools designed to keep your activities private
- Doesn’t store any logs that could be used to identify you
- Has apps for a wide range of operating systems and devices
Best VPN for Kazakhstan
Below, we’ll go into more detail on each of best VPNs for Kazakhstan:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has a network of more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, Kazakhstan included. With consistent, high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth, it’s as comfortable with streaming as it is torrenting. In fact, it’s even able to unblock tricky services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video from outside their respective countries. There’s no limit to the number of devices you can install the app on but only five devices can be connected at once.
From a security perspective, this service is exceptional. It keeps you safe using DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch that stops you from accidentally browsing unprotected. Additionally, as ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data, it can’t reveal details of your activities even if asked to by the government. Finally, this service runs a 24/7 help desk that can be reached over email or live chat, should you need it.
ExpressVPN users can install iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. Alternatively, you can use this service’s custom firmware to easily install it on supported home routers.
- Thousands of high-speed servers
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Fantastic security offering
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- A little more expensive than some rivals
BEST VPN FOR KAZAKHSTAN:ExpressVPN is our first choice for Kazakhstan. It offers high speeds, takes your security seriously, and can reliably unblock all kinds of region-locked services. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it risk-free.
Interested? Why not take a look at our complete ExpressVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark offers access to over 1,700 servers in 63 countries, not just Kazakhstan. It’s particularly well-suited to streaming thanks to its fantastic unblocking ability and steady speeds. In other words, you shouldn’t have any issues, whether you’re trying to watch Netflix or Astana TV. Best of all, this VPN lets you connect any number of devices simultaneously, making it an excellent choice for families.
This VPN clearly takes user security seriously. To begin with, it uses effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption. There’s also a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a feature that blocks ads and malware automatically. Notably, Surfshark has a NoBorders mode specifically designed for bypassing censorship (and it even works in China). This service doesn’t keep any logs and accepts cryptocurrency payments. Need help? You can contact support 24/7 via live chat or email.
Surfshark offers apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux devices. If you’d prefer, it can be manually configured for select internet routers.
- Fast enough for most purposes
- Unblocks many major streaming platforms
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- No limit on number of devices connected
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is an exceptional low-cost VPN that works great in Kazakhstan. What’s more, it provides solid speeds, a wide range of advanced security features, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out the full Surfshark review for more details.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 6,300 servers in 88 countries worldwide, and 24 in Kazakhstan alone. This means you’ll never struggle to find a fast, low-load server even during busy times like evenings and weekends. What’s more, there’s very little this VPN can’t do: it’s speedy enough for live streaming, torrenting, or gaming, plus it allows up to seven connections at once.
This service was designed to be as easy to use as possible, and as such, all of its security features are enabled by default. These include leak protection, an always-on kill switch, military-grade encryption, and a hybrid ad-blocker/malware-scanner. What’s more, CyberGhost does not log any data by which its users could be identified. If you run into problems, you can speak with support staff day or night over live chat.
CyberGhost comes with easy-to-use apps for Windows, Android, iOS, MacOS, and Linux. It can also be installed manually on select internet routers.
- Designed with beginners in mind
- Fast speeds and great unblocking ability
- Scores highly in terms of security and privacy
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
SPEED AND PRIVACY:CyberGhost offers the best of both worlds: high speeds and a strong security focus. It’s great at unblocking geo-restricted services too, meaning it’s a strong choice for watching Kazakh TV abroad. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has about 1,800 servers in 80+ countries including Kazakhstan. This service enables access to especially stubborn services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, meaning there are very few limits to what you can watch. It even makes it easy to stream Kazakh TV abroad since it boasts excellent unblocking abilities, stable connections, and unlimited bandwidth.
Of course, this VPN is no slouch when it comes to security either. It uses effectively uncrackable encryption as well as IPv6 and DNS leak protection to prevent snoopers from monitoring your traffic. There’s also a kill switch and automatic wifi protection, both of which ensure your activities are hidden at all times. Equally important, Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any logs beyond the duration of your session. 24/7 support is available via email or live chat.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. You can also follow manual setup instructions to use this VPN on Linux systems or network routers.
- Solid speeds
- Very fast speeds for streaming HD content
- Strong security and privacy protections
- No anonymous payment options
- Has had privacy issues in the past
WATCH TV ANYWHERE:Hotspot Shield is a well-balanced provider with excellent unblocking abilities, decent speeds, and a great range of security features. Further, it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Still have questions? You’ll find answers in the full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 days
ZenMate has 3,400 servers in over 73 countries. Notably, it offers almost 50 in Kazakhstan, which is more than any other provider in this list. Thanks to its impressive unblocking potential and high speeds, this VPN is a strong choice for anyone who wants to access the free internet. Of course, these features also make it ideal for using services like Netflix, Showtime, and Crunchyroll while traveling abroad.
ZenMate has iOS, Windows, Android, and MacOS apps. Additionally, it can be manually installed on Linux systems and supported wireless routers.
- Almost 50 high-speed Kazakh servers
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Doesn’t work in China
BROWSE WITHOUT LIMITS:ZenMate has plenty of fast servers to choose from, powerful security features, and no connection limits. These features, combined with a 30-day money-back guarantee make it perfect for anyone looking to watch TV from Kazakhstan online.
Read our comprehensive review of ZenMate.
How to stay safe online with a VPN
VPNs might seem complicated at first but they’re really quite simple to use. Here’s how to browse safely in Kazakhstan (or anywhere else) using a VPN:
- The first step is to choose a suitable provider from the list above (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Next, download your provider’s app. Since most VPNs allow multiple simultaneous connections, you might as well install it on any device you use often.
- Log in and connect to the VPN. Remember: if your goal is to bypass country-wide internet censorship, you can’t use a server in your current location.
- Once connected, your data will be encrypted and you’ll be able to browse safely. You should also be able to access geo-blocked services from whichever country your chosen server is in. If not, clear your cookies or ask your VPN’s support team for further assistance.
TRY IT FREE: Only looking for short-term coverage? Perhaps you just want to watch one show or event on Kazakh TV? In cases like these, you might want to make use of ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. You will have to pay upfront but you can cancel at any time (and for any reason) to receive a full refund.
Kazakhstan VPN FAQs
⭐Are free VPNs safe to use?
Technically, there’s no reason a free VPN couldn’t be as safe as a paid one. However, the reality is that many free services fail to include basic security features like encryption, which means they’re pretty useless from a security standpoint. This is to say nothing of the hundreds of malware-carrying apps that simply pretend to be VPNs in order to infect your devices.
It’s far safer to choose a reputable VPN with a proven track record on privacy than to use a service just because it’s free. What’s more, paid VPNs usually have larger networks and fewer users, so you won’t be competing for resources like you would on a free VPN. Ultimately, this means you’ll notice faster speeds, less buffering, and smoother browsing.
⭐Can I watch Kazakh TV online?
You can stream all kinds of Kazakh TV online. In fact, some of the country’s most popular channels even let you watch for free. In most cases, you don’t even have to create an account before doing so. Here are a few of the most popular Kazakh networks with a live stream:
- Kazakh TV
- Astana TV
- Gakku TV
- Channel 31
- Khabar 24
⭐Why should I use a VPN in Kazakhstan?
The Kazakh government has a history of intentionally throttling internet speeds, censoring a huge range of online content, and prosecuting those with dissenting opinions using restrictive defamation laws.
It has previously blocked access to news websites, social media, and messaging apps during times of protest. This not only makes it difficult to coordinate, but also prevents citizens from reporting what happens at protests, or even confirming whether they’re safe or not.
For these reasons, it is a good idea to use a VPN to stay anonymous while in Kazakhstan. This is especially true if you’re a journalist or activist, since jail time is a very real possibility if you say the wrong thing in the wrong way.
Comparitech does not encourage or condone using a VPN to access content or carry out activities that are illegal in your location. If there’s any doubt, we strongly recommend reading up on your country’s relevant legislation.