Like most popular TV streaming services, YouTube TV geo-blocks its content. This simply means that you can only watch from a specific country, in this case, the US. As a result, if you try to access your favorite channels from outside of the US, you’ll see a message saying “Sorry, but YouTube TV is not available in your area just yet.” However, you can watch YouTube TV from other locations using a Virtual Private Network.
When you connect to a VPN, you’re given a temporary, region-specific local IP address. This enables you to spoof your location and trick websites into believing you’re located somewhere else. VPNs have other advantages too: they reduce the risk of triggering automated fraud prevention measures when accessing your online banking service from a different country. Further, because VPNs encrypt your traffic, they stop third parties like hackers or your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from monitoring your activities.
We cover many details on each of the VPN providers below, but if you are just looking for a quick summary, here is our list of the best VPNs for streaming YouTube from anywhere:
- ExpressVPN Our Top Choice for YouTube! A large network of superfast servers that are capable of HD speeds. Secure and private connections. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- NordVPN Best budget provider. A good all-rounder with plenty of servers that can handle HD streaming. No logs kept and top-notch privacy.
- Surfshark Unblocks pretty much anything we throw at it and protects user privacy.
- CyberGhost Has easy to install apps and is friendly to beginners. Some fast servers too.
- IPVanish Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections on the one account. Good speeds for streaming media.
- PrivateVPN Fast servers and unblocks most streaming services, but needs more servers.
How to stream YouTube TV abroad with a VPN
Getting started is simple, even if you’ve never used a VPN before. You can trick YouTube TV servers into thinking you are located in the US and start streaming media from any international location. Here’s how.
Just follow these steps to watch YouTube TV with a VPN:
- Start by signing up to a suitable VPN service provider (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Next, install the VPN software. Most services offer apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android, so make sure to get the right version.
- Log in to the VPN app.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s US servers.
- If you haven’t already, create a YouTube TV account. Note that this will require a payment method linked to a US address.
- Try loading video on YouTube TV. It should start playing almost immediately, but if not, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
If you’d like to watch a specific show live, we recommend performing the steps above before it actually airs. This gives you time to contact customer support if anything doesn’t work as intended and means you may not have to miss part of your favorite shows.
HOW TO GET A PREMIUM VPN FREE: If you only need a VPN for a short time, for instance, if you’re going on vacation or want to watch one geo-restricted event, you can use ExpressVPN’s, 30-day money-back guarantee. You will have to pay upfront but can cancel at any point to receive a full refund, effectively making it a 30 day free trial.
The “youtube tv vpn proxy server detected” error
If you see the message “youtube tv vpn proxy detected”, YouTube TV has detected and blocked your VPN. At the time of testing, VPNs listed in this article are working. However, it’s a cat and mouse situation with YouTube blocking VPNs and VPNs implementing workarounds.
While all VPNs are susceptible to blocks we recommend ExpressVPN as it has proved to be the most reliable at evading VPN blocks from a whole host of local TV streaming services. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee should you find it is blocked.
How to choose the right VPN for YouTube TV
With so many different VPN services available, it can be difficult to choose just one. Some offer expansive server networks, while others might prioritize speed, internet security, or the ability to unblock a greater range of services. To find the best VPNs for YouTube TV, we looked for services meeting the criteria below:
- Capable of unblocking local channels from YouTube TV and similar services from abroad.
- It has a vast network, with several US servers to choose from.
- Uses powerful encryption and offers additional security options.
- Does not log any personally identifiable information.
- Has both mobile device and desktop apps, with minimal differences between each version.
Best VPNs for YouTube TV
Below, you’ll find our list of recommended VPN providers for YouTube TV:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 20 different US cities (and more than 2,000 globally), which means that you can not only use it to access YouTube TV, but you’ll also be able to watch various city- or state-specific local channels. This VPN is ideal for streaming: it’s fast enough to watch live high-definition streams without any noticeable buffering, and even enables you to unblock platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Sling TV from abroad.
256-bit encryption is enabled by default, and ExpressVPN keeps your activities private using DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch (desktop apps only), and perfect forward secrecy. No personally identifiable information is logged, so if you pay with Bitcoin and use a throwaway email address when signing up, you’ll be effectively untraceable. If you have any problems, customer support is available via 24/7 live chat.
This service offers apps for Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. Manual installation is required for supported network routers but this can be done quickly and easily with ExpressVPN’s custom firmware.
- Superfast servers a great for streaming in HD quality
- Most reliable VPN for TV streaming services
- Industry-leading security features
- Well-designed mobile and desktop apps
- No traffic logs
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Slightly more expensive than some of its competitors
BEST VPN FOR YOUTUBE:ExpressVPN is our Top Choice. Leads the way for unblocking streaming platforms. Exceptional speeds for buffer-free HD viewing and total security and privacy. Plays well with the YouTube TV App. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN boasts a network of more than 5,000 servers worldwide, with clusters in 20 different US cities. With specialized servers catering to users who want to share files, access Tor, or game without fear of DDoS attacks, it’s a robust general-purpose VPN. However, it’s also excellent for streaming thanks to its high speeds and excellent unblocking capabilities. NordVPN can unblock platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and of course, YouTube TV, from anywhere in the world.
This service uses 256-bit encryption and includes a wide range of additional security options. There’s an application-specific kill switch, a dual-VPN feature, an automatic ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. This VPN has a strict no-logs policy, so you can rest assured that your activities will remain private at all times.
NordVPN has apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Linux supported devices. It has to be manually configured on wireless routers, however.
- Fast enough for High definition streams and unblocks popular restricted content
- Strong encryption and no logs make for top security and privacy
- Allows 6 simultaneous connections on one account
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux and Android
- Can’t connect to a specific server, you need to select a location instead
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:NordVPN is a good value choice. A good all-rounder that works well with streaming platforms like YouTube. Solid security and privacy features and accommodates up to 6 devices. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has around 1700 servers in 60+ countries (and 26 US cities). This makes it an excellent choice for anyone looking to watch YouTube TV from outside of the US, and especially so if you’d like to stream smaller, regional TV stations. That’s not all Surfshark can do, though: it also unblocks services like Netflix US, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video abroad. With no connection limit, you’re free to browse and stream safely across every one of your devices.
This VPN protects your privacy using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and traffic scrambling, as well as IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leak protection. As Surfshark doesn’t log any information that could identify you, you’ll be effectively untraceable online. If you’d prefer even greater anonymity, you can sign up using a throwaway email address and pay via cryptocurrency. 24/7 support is available over live chat in case of any problems.
Surfshark offers apps for Linux, MacOS, Android, Windows, and iOS. It can be manually installed on supported wireless routers.
- Unblocks many popular streaming services including YouTube TV
- Fast enough for lag-free live streaming
- Strong focus on security and privacy
- No connection limit
- Some servers are faster than others
- Fairly small (but expanding) network
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:Surfshark reliably unblocks most platforms with little to no configuration required. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost works slightly differently from most VPNs in that you can choose a server yourself or specify a task (such as unblocking streaming sites or browsing anonymously) and have a suitable server assigned to you. It offers over 5,000 high-speed servers worldwide, with more than 1,000 of them in the US. With the ability to connect up to seven devices at once, CyberGhost makes it easy to access whatever you want, wherever you want.
This service uses 256-bit encryption as well as DNS, IPv6, port forwarding, and WebRTC leak protection to keep your traffic secure. It includes a kill switch in every version of the software, an ad-blocker, and an anti-malware scanner.
CyberGhost does not log any personally identifiable information, and accepts Bitcoin for maximum anonymity. This VPN comes with user-friendly Android, Windows, MacOS, and iOS apps. Manual installation is required for selected internet routers.
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- Good security and they don’t store user activity logs
- No issues unblocking US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Great for YouTube TV app use
- Less suitable for power users that need more sophisticated setups
VALUE & PERFORMANCE:CyberGhost is fast and affordable. It has a simple set up with strong on privacy credentials. Streams HD video reliably from all streaming platforms. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has long been a favorite for streaming thanks to its expansive server network and strong multi-platform support. It currently has more than 1,300 servers across 60+ countries, including 520 in the US. IPVanish is fast enough to watch high-definition live streams with no interruptions and can reliably unblock YouTube services. Further, this service permits up to ten simultaneous connections, making it a strong choice for those looking to protect all of their devices at once.
On the security front, there’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in both the mobile and desktop versions), and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. IPVanish also includes several features most other VPNs don’t. You can block local traffic, for instance, or obfuscate OpenVPN traffic. As IPVanish doesn’t log any information that could identify you and allows users to switch IP addresses regularly, it makes users very difficult to track online. Support is available over live chat, 24/7, in case of any issues.
IPVanish has lightweight apps for Windows, MacOS, Amazon Fire, Android, and iOS. Linux devices and select wireless routers are supported but must be configured manually.
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Allows you to connect 10 devices at once
- Works with YouTube, but struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish is great for families and multiple internet connections. Unblocks YouTube, but can’t unblock as many streaming services as rivals higher on this list. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is ideal for live streaming thanks to its excellent unblocking capabilities and high speeds. It has around 80 servers globally, and 10 of these are in the US (in 10 different states). This service has no problems streaming HD content on platforms like YouTube TV, Netflix, and Hulu, even from abroad. With six simultaneous connections allowed, PrivateVPN lets you protect all of your most commonly used devices with a single account.
This VPN has a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin, meaning you can register anonymously as long as you use a disposable email address. It uses 256-bit encryption by default, includes a kill switch that stops traffic when your internet connection is lost, and protects against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat, and with your permission, the staff can even remotely install the software for you.
This service includes dedicated Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS apps. PrivateVPN also works on Linux-based systems and routers but requires manual configuration first.
- Speeds are good enough for high-quality streaming
- Gaining a solid reputation for the growing list of sites they unblock
- Can connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
- New network with smaller number of servers to choose from
GOOD STREAMING SPEED:PrivateVPN is consistently reliable. Good for general purpose use and HD Streaming. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Can I unblock YouTube TV servers with a free VPN?
Free VPNs often claim to provide the same level of service as their premium rivals, but this is far from reality. These VPNs usually have much larger user bases yet fewer servers to spread the load. As a result, you can expect extremely slow browsing speeds and digital videos that stutter, have low resolution, and frequently pause to buffer. Further, as YouTube is one of the largest TV streaming services in the world, it’s unlikely that a free VPN will be able to bypass its geo-restriction measures in the first place.
Maintaining an international server network is expensive, so how can free VPNs afford to operate? The truth is that they’ve found various ways to profit from their users, whether it’s by placing ads onto the sites you visit, or using tracking cookies to amass a detailed dossier of your online activities. VPNs are designed to increase your online privacy, but by selling your data to unknown third parties without your knowledge, free services can actually reduce it instead.
It’s always difficult to choose which VPN to use, but it’s even harder with a free service. According to a 2015 study, the Google Play Store hosts dozens of supposed VPN apps that actually install malware on your device. Even if you find a seemingly legitimate service, there’s a good chance it doesn’t encrypt your internet traffic or protect against IPv6 leaks. Well-known services don’t guarantee your safety either, as we found when Hola was caught selling user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
Can I sign up for YouTube TV from abroad?
Although YouTube TV is technically only available in the US, it’s actually possible to sign up from anywhere as long as you have a PayPal account. When using a credit or debit card to pay, YouTube TV requires it to be registered to a US address, but unlike many similar services, YouTube TV doesn’t check to see if you have an American PayPal account.
Don’t want payments to be taken via PayPal? There’s a third payment option, one that’s not presented to the user during registration: Google Play gift cards. Just log in to the same Google Play account you signed up to YouTube TV with, redeem a gift card, and if you have enough credit, you’ll find that this service deducts the subscription fee from your balance instead of charging your card or PayPal account.
What can I watch on YouTube TV?
YouTube TV currently offers 73 available channels as part of its standard subscription and there are an additional eight that can be added for a small additional payment. Below, we’ve listed some of this service’s most popular networks:
YouTube TV FAQs
How much is YouTube TV monthly?
At the moment, YouTube TV costs $49.99 USD per month. It also comes with a two-week trial period, allowing you to try it out risk-free.
Do you need a smart TV for YouTube TV?
No -- YouTube TV apps are also available for Android, iOS, Roku, Amazon Fire TV/ Firestick, Chromecast, PlayStation, and Xbox devices. Of course, you can also watch using your preferred web browser.
How to watch American TV shows in the UK?
As most US streaming services are region-locked, you’ll need a VPN to watch American TV shows abroad. Just connect to a server in the US and you should be able to use all kinds of previously inaccessible platforms, not just YouTube TV.
- 1 How to stream YouTube TV abroad with a VPN
- 2 The “youtube tv vpn proxy server detected” error
- 3 How to choose the right VPN for YouTube TV
- 4 Best VPNs for YouTube TV
- 5 1. ExpressVPN
- 6 2. NordVPN
- 7 3. Surfshark
- 8 4. CyberGhost
- 9 5. IPVanish
- 10 6. PrivateVPN
- 11 Can I unblock YouTube TV servers with a free VPN?
- 12 Can I sign up for YouTube TV from abroad?
- 13 What can I watch on YouTube TV?
- 14 YouTube TV FAQs
- 15 How much is YouTube TV monthly?
- 16 Do you need a smart TV for YouTube TV?
- 17 How to watch American TV shows in the UK?