Black Desert Online’s geo-restrictions are a little complicated. North American and European users can easily play on each other’s servers. However, a different publisher runs the servers for the rest of the world, and has effectively made it impossible to play with people from other countries. This is where a VPN comes in: these allow you to spoof your location and access the same servers as your international friends.
Of course, that’s not all a VPN can help with. They also encrypt your internet traffic, which prevents snoopers like your Internet Service Provider (ISP), employer, or government from seeing what you do online. Further, as your real location is hidden, hackers have no real way of knowing where you are. This is especially helpful if you use Twitch or similar platforms since unfortunately, streamers are frequently doxxed, swatted, and otherwise harassed out in the real world.
In a hurry? No problem: take a look below for a short description of the best VPNs for BDO. If you see one that interests you, just scroll down for a more detailed review.
Best VPNs for Black Desert Online:
- ExpressVPN: Our top pick for Black Desert Online. A fast, versatile VPN with top-notch security and privacy features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN: The best low-cost VPN for playing Black Desert Online. Boasts a wide range of security features, a no-logs policy, and thousands of speedy servers.
- Surfshark: Steady speeds, strong security, and unlimited bandwidth make this a great choice for just about any purpose, gaming and streaming included. Has no connection limit.
- CyberGhost: Veteran provider that’s both extremely secure and easy to use. Has a huge network of fast servers, impressive unblocking ability, and a generous connection limit.
- IPVanish: A security-first service that’s ideal for Black Desert Online. Offers consistently high speeds, a true no-logging policy, and the ability to secure all of your devices at once.
- PrivateVPN: Higher-than-average speeds and a solid set of security features make this an excellent VPN for gamers. Also boasts a no-logs policy and fantastic unblocking ability.
- Hotspot Shield: This VPN’s large network makes it easy to get a fast, low-latency connection from anywhere. It’s also very security-focused, so you can game with near-total anonymity.
Although there are hundreds of services to choose from, not all of them are suitable for Black Desert Online. Good gaming VPNs have to be exceptionally versatile and capable of dealing with just about anything, from tricky geo-restricted login systems to slow, distant data centers. That’s why, when choosing the best VPNs for Black Desert Online, we first made sure our picks met the following criteria:
- Provides access to servers all over the world
- Has consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Works with Black Desert Online and similar geo-blocked services
- Keeps your activities private with cutting-edge security and privacy features
- Doesn’t log any data that could be used to identify you
- Offers access to apps for a wide range of devices
Best VPN for Black Desert Online
Read on for a more in-depth look at each of the best VPNs for Black Desert Online:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, so wherever you are in the world, you should be able to get a high-speed, low-latency connection. There are no bandwidth limits, meaning you can play as much BDO as you like. If you feel like taking a break, ExpressVPN also unblocks popular region-locked services like Netflix and Disney+. Up to five devices can be connected simultaneously per account.
This VPN includes a wide range of security tools. First, there’s 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, both of which keep your activities hidden from snoopers. There’s also a kill switch to prevent you from accidentally browsing unprotected. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data. Users can pay in Bitcoin for another layer of privacy. Need help? Support is available 24/7 over live chat and email.
You can install simple yet powerful apps for iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Alternatively, there’s custom firmware for select wireless routers.
- Consistent, speedy connections
- Highly versatile
- Solid privacy and security
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher price than some others
BEST VPN FOR BLACK DESERT ONLINE:ExpressVPN is our #1 pick. This VPN offers steady speeds, strong security, and thousands of servers to choose from, all of which make it great for Black Desert Online. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee which means you can try it risk-free.
Check out our ExpressVPN review for more details.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers access to 5,200+ servers in 59 countries. With fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and great unblocking ability, it’s become popular with people looking to access geo-blocked streaming platforms abroad. That said, these features also make it perfect for playing Black Desert Online from anywhere. Best of all, users can secure up to six devices at once.
When it comes to security, NordVPN is one of the best. It boasts effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, and IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection. The kill switch can even be customized to only close certain apps when your connection drops. NordVPN is a zero-logs provider that accepts three different cryptocurrencies. If you’re having problems, you can reach support 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN provides Android, Windows, Linux, MacOS, and iOS apps. It can also be manually configured to work with supported home routers, letting you secure every device on your network.
- Fast enough for uninterrupted gaming and streaming
- Very affordable
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Zero-logs policy
- Desktop app takes some getting used to
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN isn’t just one of the most secure services out there, it’s one of the most cost-effective too. With solid speeds, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a strict no-logs policy, you’ll be able to play BDO without wondering who might be watching.
Find out more in the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has over 1,700 servers in 63 countries, which means you shouldn’t have any issues finding a low-load server even at peak times. Speeds are generally fast enough for lag-free gaming and streaming, plus there are no hidden bandwidth limits, so you can stay secure whatever you’re doing. In fact, as Surfshark lets you secure any number of devices simultaneously, there’s no reason to browse unprotected ever again.
This service comes packed with powerful security and privacy protections, so it’s a great way to stay safe while gaming. There’s 256-bit encryption, for instance, plus a kill switch, WebRTC, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic ad-blocking. Most importantly, Surfshark doesn’t store any data that could identify you. Customer support staff provide 24/7 assistance via email or live chat.
Surfshark users have access to Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, you can manually install this VPN on select internet routers.
- Steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Puts your security and privacy first
- Allows unlimited devices
- Some servers are much slower than others
SECURE AND RELIABLE:Surfshark is a security-first provider that allows you to play Black Desert Online safely from anywhere in the world. Among other things, it offers stable connections, a no-logs policy, and the ability to connect every device you own at once.
Interested? Why not take a look at the full Surfshark review?
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 6,400+ servers in 90 countries, giving it the largest network of any provider in this list. Its connections are fast and reliable, letting you play Black Desert Online in the highest quality with minimal lag. Additionally, there are specific, clearly-marked servers for unblocking major streaming platforms, just in case you feel like watching some TV. CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections per account.
All of this VPN’s security features come pre-configured, so there’s very little setup required. These include a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, and DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection. What’s more, CyberGhost refuses to log any personally identifiable data, so your privacy is in good hands. It also operates a 24/7 live chat-based help desk just in case you have any problems.
CyberGhost comes with user-friendly apps for MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and Windows. Users looking to secure all of their devices can manually install this VPN on supported routers.
- Speedy servers all over the world
- Very easy to use
- Fantastic set of security and privacy features
- May not be customizable enough for advanced users
NO STRESS SECURITY:CyberGhost takes the stress out of online security. This user-friendly service puts your privacy first, offers high speeds, and works great with Black Desert Online. Best of all, it comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our complete review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has around 1,500 servers in 60+ countries. This VPN is more than capable of getting you a fast enough connection for Black Desert Online; in fact, it’s even speedy enough for HD live streaming. One of the best things about IPVanish is that it allows you to connect as many devices as you like. As such, you’ll never have to leave one device unprotected to use another.
This service’s security features include a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. Additionally, users can block traffic from other devices on the network, or scramble their traffic to help hide the telltale signs of VPN usage. IPVanish is a no-logs provider, which means it can’t provide details of your activities to anyone. With 24/7 support available over live chat, help is only ever minutes away.
This VPN offers Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS apps. Additionally, Linux systems and select home routers are supported via manual configuration.
- Fast enough for lag-free gaming
- Has no connection or bandwidth limits
- Secures your traffic and keeps no logs
- Can’t pay with cryptocurrency
SPEEDY, VERSATILE VPN:IPVanish is a fantastic choice whether you want to game, stream, or torrent securely thanks to its high speeds and lack of a connection limit. What’s more, this zero-log VPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out our in-depth review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than others in our list (roughly 150 servers in 60 countries) but it helps make up for it by providing excellent speeds. Further, it’s able to unblock notoriously tricky platforms like Netflix from anywhere. Whether you’re looking to stream, game, or torrent, this service would be an excellent choice. Up to six devices can be connected at once.
You might have guessed from the service’s name, but it prioritizes user privacy. Your data is kept secure with 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There’s also a stealth mode for bypassing particularly strict geo-blocking. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever, so even it doesn’t know what you get up to once connected. Live chat-based support is on-hand 22 hours per day, just in case.
PrivateVPN has Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Linux apps. It can also be manually configured for use with some internet routers.
- Faster than many other providers
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Able to unblock plenty of region-locked streaming services
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small but growing network of servers
LAG-FREE GAMING:PrivateVPN is among the fastest VPNs available, making it perfect for online gaming. It’s packed with security features too, and keeps no logs so you can game with confidence in your privacy. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read the full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has 1,800 servers in over 80 countries. That’s not all: it’s also very fast, with unlimited bandwidth and strong unblocking ability. In other words, it’s a strong everyday VPN that’s especially well-suited for gaming and streaming. Further, with a five-connection limit, you can protect all of your favorite devices at the same time.
This VPN uses a wide range of security features to keep your activities hidden at all times. There’s 256-bit encryption for starters, plus a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic wifi protection. You can even choose to let certain apps bypass the VPN entirely if you’d like. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any identifiable data once your session is over. If you need help, support staff can be reached 24/7 over email or live chat.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. This service also works with Linux systems and select routers but you’ll have to install it manually.
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Very easy to use
- Good range of security settings
- Working to repair reputation after past privacy issues
- No anonymous payment options
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER:Hotspot Shield is a fantastic general-purpose VPN. It’s fast, offers plenty of powerful security features, and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee. In other words, it’s just as suitable for gaming as it is for streaming, torrenting, or general browsing.
Still not sure? Why not read the full Hotspot Shield review?
How to change region on Black Desert Online with a VPN
VPNs allow you to greatly improve your online privacy in just a few clicks. Don’t worry if you’ve never used one before, just follow our simple guide below.
Here’s how to play Black Desert Online with a VPN:
- Start by choosing one of the VPNs from the list above (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Next, download your chosen service’s app. Most allow you around five connections at once, so you may as well install it on all of the devices you use most often.
- Log into the VPN app and connect to a server in your chosen country. This will change your IP address and encrypt your data, leaving no clues as to your real location.
- Now just log into Black Desert Online like you normally would. You should now be able to visit the same channels as your friends in other countries.
TRY A PAID VPN FOR FREE: Only looking for short-term coverage, or just not sure whether you need a VPN? ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee, letting you try it completely risk-free. If you’re unimpressed, you can cancel at any time for a full refund.
- Best VPNs for Gaming online
- Best VPNs for PUBG
- Top VPNs for playing Overwatch
- How to set up a VPN on Xbox One
- Best VPNs for PS3 & PS4
Black Desert Online: Frequently Asked Questions
⭐Will I get banned for using a VPN with Black Desert Online?
It’s rare for a game to specifically address the issue of VPN usage, but thankfully, Black Desert Online removes all ambiguity by doing just that. In short, the developers have no problem with VPN users unless you’re trying to access the service from a location where the game is unavailable or otherwise break the terms of service. If you’re in a supported country, there’s no reason your account would be banned unless you’re specifically trying to outsmart the system (for instance, by switching region to pay less for items).
⭐Can I play Black Desert Online with a free VPN?
We advise against using a free VPN to play Black Desert Online. Even if these can bypass the game’s region-locking (which is already pretty unlikely), they’re likely too slow to provide a good experience. This is because they have far more users than paid VPNs, despite having fewer servers to spread the load. In practical terms, you’ll notice more lag and may even be disconnected from the game periodically.
It’s important to consider the security implications too. After all, app stores are flooded with malware pretending to be free VPN apps. Worse still, plenty of seemingly legitimate services actually fail to provide any security at all. In fact, since you don’t know who has access to your data when you use them, they’re actually less private than browsing normally. To keep yourself and your data safe while gaming, it’s best to use a secure VPN service.
⭐What kind of internet speeds do I need for Black Desert Online?
The official system requirements are pretty vague when it comes to internet speeds, simply stating that you need a broadband connection. However, the official Twitter account has previously stated that around a 10Mbps download speed is a good starting point.
Remember: any VPN will slow your connection down, usually by about a third (although there is a lot of variation). This means that you’d need at least a base download speed of around 13Mbps to play Black Desert Online while connected.
- Best VPN for Black Desert Online
- 1. ExpressVPN
- 2. NordVPN
- 3. Surfshark
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- How to change region on Black Desert Online with a VPN
- Black Desert Online: Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I get banned for using a VPN with Black Desert Online?
- Can I play Black Desert Online with a free VPN?
- What kind of internet speeds do I need for Black Desert Online?