PrivateVPN is one of our top-rated VPN services thanks to its very fast server speeds, consistent unblocking of popular streaming services, strong privacy protection, and quality customer support. However, it might not be the VPN that best fits your needs. For example, it has a smaller network of servers than those listed in this post. Also, unlike some rival VPNs, PrivateVPN’s live chat support isn’t available 24 hours per day.
As with PrivateVPN, you can use the best PrivateVPN alternatives to connect to a server in another location and change your IP address. This provides a number of benefits including bypassing geo-blocking and being able to browse more securely and privately. After all, a VPN encrypts your data as it routes your internet traffic to its own server. Below, we’ll go over each of the best PrivateVPN alternatives so you can better see if they’re a match for you.
Don’t have enough time to read the full post? Here’s a short summary of the best PrivateVPN alternatives:
- NordVPN: The best PrivateVPN alternative. Over 5,000 servers and very fast speeds. Powerful unblocking and specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
- Surfshark: Best value alternative to PrivateVPN. Servers in 100 countries. High-speed connections and works with 30+ Netflix libraries. Unlimited connections and MultiHop servers available.
- ExpressVPN: Unlimited bandwidth and servers in 94 countries. User-friendly apps and quality customer support, 24/7. Strong security and doesn’t keep any identifying logs.
- CyberGhost: Large server network (9,000+ servers in 90+ countries. Fast connections and works with Netflix US. Connect seven devices at once. Antivirus for Windows.
- IPVanish: Connect as many devices as you like at the same time. Offers over 2,000 servers and has high-speed connections. Security includes encryption and a kill switch.
- Atlas VPN: Unblock Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more. Fast with an unlimited simultaneous connection allowance. Extras include MultiHop servers and an ad blocker.
- Private Internet Access: Servers located in 80+ countries. No bandwidth throttling so you can stream Netflix lag-free. Includes 24/7 support and doesn’t keep any logs.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP PRIVATEVPN ALTERNATIVE RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated as the #1 PrivateVPN alternative with no restrictions for a month—great if you’re looking to fully test out all of its features before potentially committing.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
PrivateVPN boasts numerous advantages and we’ve strived to find VPNs that provide the same benefits (and more in some cases). Here’s what the best PrivateVPN alternatives have to offer:
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Reliable bypassing of content restrictions
- Secures your data with encryption
- No-logs policy that protects your privacy
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
Best PrivateVPN alternatives
Here’s our list of the best PrivateVPN alternatives:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top recommendation. It’s strong in all areas from server network to speed to security. With it, you have access to more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries. Some 2,000 of these servers are located in the US which makes it easy to access streaming services including Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu. NordVPN consistently ranks among the fastest VPNs and has unlimited bandwidth which is not only suitable for streaming but for torrenting and playing games online.
Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks and a kill switch. Furthermore, NordVPN operates a no-logs policy that has been independently audited by Deloitte. As such, you can be confident that your data is for your eyes only. What’s particularly impressive is that NordVPN offers multiple specialty server options including P2P and Onion Over VPN. Support is available whenever you need it via live chat as well as email.
NordVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections and offers apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Another option is NordVPN’s browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Use with wifi routers requires manual configuration.
- High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth (ideal for streaming)
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video, and more
- Over 5,000 servers available across 60 countries
- Specialty server options including P2P and Onion Over VPN
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Relatively expensive monthly subscription plan
BEST PRIVATEVPN ALTERNATIVE:NordVPN is our top choice. It has a large and global server network with fast, unthrottled connections. Works with Netflix, Prime Video, and more. Verified no-logs policy, specialty P2P servers, and 24/7 support. Thanks to NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee, you can even try it out risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is just as suitable for streaming as PrivateVPN. This is down to its very fast server speeds coupled with its expansive server network covering an impressive 100 countries. We found that this VPN service is able to securely access more than 30 Netflix libraries — far more than most VPNs manage. Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for those with many devices to secure because it allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
If you have no (or limited) experience using a VPN, you’ll particularly appreciate Surfshark’s beginner-friendly apps. It’s hard to go wrong, particularly when live chat and email support is contactable 24 hours a day. Security-wise, Surfshark ticks every box. You can expect 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. This is a no-logs service and it even offers a number of free extras including MultiHop servers and an ad blocker.
You can download and install Surfshark apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available. To use Surfshark with a compatible router, you’ll need to set this up manually.
- Servers in 100 countries — more than any other VPN listed
- Very good server speeds allows for lag-free streaming
- Access more than 30 Netflix libraries
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices at once
- MultiHop servers available for extra security
- Switching servers is sometimes slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark has servers in 100 countries and is fast enough that you can stream in 4K lag-free. Works with over 30 Netflix libraries. No-logs service with MultiHop servers and an ad blocker included. Unlimited connections. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN stands out for offering more than 3,000 servers which are available in 94 countries. Server locations include the US, Canada, UK, and Australia. Its unblocking ability rivals PrivateVPN as it’s able to access the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Stan from anywhere. You can expect fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth. This allows you to stream lag and buffer-free and get low ping while online gaming. ExpressVPN allows unrestricted torrenting too.
This is a VPN that offers live chat and email support which is available 24 hours a day. We’ve tested its response times to enquiries and found it replies to emails particularly fast compared to some rival VPNs. It’s important to note that ExpressVPN doesn’t keep identifying logs and secures data with 256-bit AES encryption. DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection and a kill are also included. With a single ExpressVPN account, you can secure five devices at once.
You’ll be able to use ExpressVPN via its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Alternatively, there’s a browser extension for Chrome. ExpressVPN even makes custom firmware for compatible wireless routers.
- Generous server network (3,000+ servers in 94 countries)
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming, torrenting, and gaming
- Consistently unblocks streaming services such as Disney+
- High-quality customer support available 24/7
- Strong security and doesn’t keep identifying logs
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
QUALITY CUSTOMER SUPPORT:ExpressVPN offer servers covering 94 countries and won’t throttle your bandwidth. Works with Netflix and has excellent support 24 hours a day. Secures your data with encryption and doesn’t keep identifying logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is one of the fastest VPNs you can use. A high level of performance can be expected whether you’re streaming, playing games online, or torrenting. Better still, CyberGhost has one of the largest server networks of any VPN. This exceeds 9,000 servers and 90 countries. The VPN is therefore well suited to unblocking a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services. For example, it works particularly well with the US version of Netflix.
If you sign up with CyberGhost, you’ll be able to connect up to seven of your devices at the same time. Live chat and email support can be contacted 24 hours a day if you have any questions. Data is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel and further security features include an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection. Windows users can even benefit from a security suite that includes an antivirus. Last but not least, CyberGhost has a no-logs policy.
Connect to CyberGhost apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. There’s also Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. CyberGhost provides manual setup instructions should you wish to use it with your wifi router.
- Some of the fastest server speeds we’ve tested
- More servers than any other VPN listed (over 9,000 available)
- Works well with Netflix US
- Can be used on up to seven devices at the same time
- Includes a Windows security suite with antivirus
- Doesn’t work in China
- No app for routers
HUGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a vast network of servers (approximately 9,000+ in 90+ countries). Very fast for streaming Netflix US lag and buffer-free. Lots of security features including a Windows antivirus. Operates a no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish averaged over 250 Mbps in our most recent speed tests. Needless to say, this is more than fast enough for 4K streaming. With this VPN, you’ll be able to access Netflix and stream without performance issues. IPVanish has a network that exceeds 2,000 servers which are available in 75+ locations. There’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect at once which makes IPVanish more suitable than PrivateVPN if you’d like to share with family.
This is a US-based provider (the US is a Five Eyes member) but it has a comprehensive no-logs policy. Indeed, this VPN doesn’t even keep connection logs. This plus security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch ensures the safeguarding of your data. IPVanish is quick and easy to set up thanks to an automatic setup wizard and step-by-step setup guides complete with screenshots. 24/7 support is also included.
IPVanish provides apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). There’s also an Amazon Fire TV app although manual setup is necessary to use this VPN with Linux or a compatible wireless router.
- Growing network of more than 2,000 servers
- Faster speeds than ever before — stream lag and buffer-free
- No limit to the number of devices you can connect at once
- Privacy protection with a strict no-logs policy
- Headquartered in a Five Eyes member country (the US)
- No browser extensions available
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish doesn’t limit the number of devices you can connect at once. It’s also one of the fastest VPNs — ideal for streaming. 2,000+ servers available. Connections are secured with encryption and there’s 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a relatively newer VPN provider (it launched in 2019) that has established itself as a highly reliable option for accessing geo-blocked content. We’ve tested it against a variety of streaming services and found that it works well with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ to name but a few. AtlasVPN provides speeds that are comparable with other top-rated VPNs, allowing for stress-free streaming and torrenting. Servers can be found in dozens of countries.
This is a VPN that’s packed with features. For example, it offers MultiHop servers for several layers of encryption. An ad and malware blocker is also included. Security comes from 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. All of your devices can benefit from this protection because there’s no device connection limit. Atlas VPN is a no-logs service and if you have any issues, you can always get in touch with 24/7 customer support.
AtlasVPN is accessible via apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Unfortunately, Atlas VPN doesn’t support routers.
- Strong unblocker of streaming services
- More than capable of streaming content in 4K
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Extra security features including MultiHop servers
- Small network of servers
- No support for routers
FREE EXTRAS:Atlas VPN provides strong unblocking of streaming platforms as well as high-speed connections for 4K streaming. Unlimited simultaneous connections, MultiHop servers, and an ad and malware blocker included. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has no shortage of server location options. Overall, its network covers more than 80 countries globally including the US, Canada, and Japan — ideal if you regularly travel overseas and need to access a variety of geo-restricted content. We’ve tested it with Netflix and found it works with multiple libraries including Netflix US. Its connection speeds exceeded those of PrivateVPN in our most recent tests so you shouldn’t suffer a dip in performance.
This VPN provides a high level of security with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Not only does it not keep any identifying logs, it doesn’t even keep connection logs. It’s possible to secure an unlimited number of devices at once with a single PIA subscription. Live chat and email support are included and you can get assistance 24 hours a day.
Private Internet Access apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browser extensions are also included. PIA supports various routers, but manual setup is necessary.
- Provides servers in 80 countries including the US and UK
- Works with multiple Netflix libraries
- Secure an unlimited number of devices at once
- 24-hour support via live chat and email
- Struggles to bypass restrictions in China
- Apps aren’t quite as eye-catching as some rivals
SERVERS IN 80+ COUNTRIES:Private Internet Access offers unlimited bandwidth and servers in 80 countries worldwide. It works well with Netflix and supports unlimited connections. Data is kept secure through high-end encryption. Strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
How to use a PrivateVPN alternative VPN
Here’s how you can use the best PrivateVPN alternatives:
- Sign up with one of the best PrivateVPN alternatives. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your device. The VPNs listed let you connect multiple devices simultaneously.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in your preferred location. This may be a server in the US for a US IP address, for example.
- You should now be able to bypass geographic restrictions while enjoying the security benefits offered by a quality VPN service.
- If you have any trouble unblocking a website or service, clear your cookies. Failing this, connect to a different server or contact your VPN’s support.
Methodology: How we found the best PrivateVPN alternatives
While there are a lot of VPNs, many fall short of expectations. It was only by testing a variety of VPNs hands-on that we found those that met specific requirements (such as speed and security). Below is an overview of our methodology for finding the best PrivateVPN alternatives:
- Servers worldwide: Like PrivateVPN, all of the servers in this post have servers in dozens of countries. There should always be a server close to your physical location which provides a faster, more consistent connection. Another advantage of having access to a global network of servers is that you can unblock more content.
- Speed: Our speed tests identify the fastest VPNs on the market. Some of the VPNs listed are even faster than PrivateVPN. As such, they’re highly suitable for streaming, torrenting, and online gaming. There’s no limit to what you can do online because all of the VPNs covered provide unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: You can use PrivateVPN and the best PrivateVPN alternatives to unblock your usual websites and services while traveling abroad. Strong unblocking is particularly useful for bypassing censorship which can affect news sites and social media platforms. All of the above VPNs work with streaming services such as Prime Video.
- Security: A VPN should encrypt your data so that the information can’t be ready by anyone with nefarious intentions. We also look for a VPN to provide protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch. If you’d like extra security, you may wish to choose a VPN that offers Double VPN servers, an ad blocker, or antivirus.
- Privacy: We have studied some 140 VPN logging policies in an effort to find VPNs that, like PrivateVPN, protect your privacy. A VPN shouldn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. Unfortunately, some VPNs (particularly free services) log user data in order to sell it to third parties, preventing users from maintaining anonymity.
- Ease of use: It’s unlikely you want to spend significant time trying to figure out how to set up and use a VPN. A beginner-friendly service should provide easy-to-follow setup guides with step-by-step instructions as well as screenshots. Better still, the VPNs listed in this post even have 24/7 support via live chat and email.
- Value for money: You’ll find VPN discount coupons for each VPN listed in this post. This allows you to obtain a subscription at a more competitive rate than with other VPNs which may not include some of the key features covered. What’s more, you can try them all risk-free because they come with money-back guarantees of at least 30 days.
We further explain our methodology for testing and analyzing VPNs on a variety of criteria in our VPN testing methodology post.
Best PrivateVPN alternatives: FAQs
Are there any free PrivateVPN alternatives?
PrivateVPN is a premium (paid) VPN service known for its strong unblocking and fast speeds. It’s difficult to find a free VPN that comes close to this. The average free VPN service offers very few servers in even fewer locations. As a result, it’s a struggle to unblock content, particularly that of streaming services. Free VPNs also tend to throttle the bandwidth of users and are therefore far from ideal when it comes to streaming and torrenting.
Security and privacy are also areas of concern with free VPN services. PrivateVPN employs military-grade encryption and operates a strict no-logs policy. The same can’t be said for free VPNs which may fail to properly secure your data. Indeed, many log and sell user data. Based on all of the above, your best bet is to avoid free VPNs. There are a number of quality PrivateVPN alternatives, all of which include risk-free money-back guarantees.
Is it legal to use a VPN?
Fortunately, VPNs are legal in the vast majority of countries. While many VPNs have been banned due to censorship in countries such as China and Russia, they’re still not outright illegal to use. Regardless, it’s always worth consulting your current country’s laws. It’s also important to avoid engaging in any illegal activities such as torrenting copyrighted material without permission. Providing you use a VPN that encrypts your data, you should be safe to use a VPN.