Traveling abroad leads to some websites and services from India becoming region-locked. This may prevent you from accessing your favorite streaming platform, news site, or online banking account. A specific example of geographic restrictions is Hotstar, whose streaming content is geo-restricted to India. This is where the best Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) with Indian servers come in.
You can use a VPN service to connect to a server in another country such as India. Doing so ensures you’re temporarily assigned a new IP address. This makes it appear as if you’re browsing from a different location, bypassing the geo blocking of content and allowing you to access the content as normal. However, this isn’t the only benefit of using the best VPNs with Indian servers. A VPN encrypts your data, shielding it from hackers and snoopers alike.
Don’t have time to read the full reviews just yet? Here’s a quick rundown of the best VPNs with Indian servers to save you some time:
- Surfshark: The best VPN with Indian servers. 3,000+ servers in 100 countries including 50 virtual servers in India. Unlimited connections and MultiHop servers.
- ExpressVPN: Best value VPN. Virtual Indian server locations in Singapore and the UK. Unlimited bandwidth and servers in 94 countries. 24/7 live chat and email support.
- CyberGhost: Over two dozen virtual servers in Mumbai, India. Some 9,000+ servers worldwide. No-logs VPN with very fast speeds and an antivirus for Windows.
- IPVanish: Several virtual servers in India. Some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested. Strong security with military-grade encryption. No-logs service with 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: Offers virtual servers in Bangalore and Mumbai. User-friendly apps and excellent live chat and email support. Strong unblocking ability and a true no-logs policy.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in 80 countries, India included (virtual). Unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Privacy protection with its strict no-logs policy.
TRY THE TOP VPN WITH INDIAN SERVERS RISK-FREE?
Surfshark is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Indian servers with no restrictions for a month – ideal if you’re traveling outside India for several weeks.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide Surfshark isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your Surfshark trial here.
The VPNs recommended in this post provide virtual servers in India. This means that although they’ll provide you with an IP address for India, the server is physically located elsewhere. This is due to India’s law that requires VPNs to log and potentially share customer data with the government. By providing virtual servers, VPNs don’t have to comply with this.
Here’s what else the best VPNs with Indian servers have to offer:
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide
- Fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Reliable unblocking of geo-restricted content
- Secures data with a high level of encryption
- Protects privacy with a no-logs policy
- Allows at least five simultaneous connections
- Live chat and email support around the clock
Best VPNs with Indian servers
Here’s our list of the best VPNs with Indian servers:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has a generous server network spanning 100 countries. This makes it a highly suitable choice if you regularly travel abroad. You’ll find approximately 50 virtual servers in India — more than the vast majority of VPNs on the market. Surfshark is also one of the fastest VPNs you can use. Its speeds are more than fast enough for streaming even in 4K resolution. Aside from over 30 Netflix libraries, Surfshark works well with the likes of Hotstar and Eros Now.
There’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect simultaneously with Surfshark. A subscription includes access to its MultiHop servers for an extra layer of security. This VPN offers all of the security essentials expected from a VPN service such as 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Surfshark is a no-logs service with 24/7 support (via live chat and email) as well as an ad, tracker, and malware blocker.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Furthermore, it offers browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. To use it with a compatible wifi router, you’ll need to follow the manual setup instructions provided by Surfshark.
- Roughly 50 virtual servers in India (and servers in 100 countries)
- One of the fastest VPNs on the market — ideal for streaming
- Works with more than 30 Netflix libraries
- Can be used on an unlimited number of devices
- Extra security features such as MultiHop servers
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Sometimes slow to connect when switching servers
BEST VPN WITH INDIAN SERVERS:Surfshark has some 50 virtual servers in India (and servers in 100 countries globally). Fast server speeds and strong unblocking of geo-restricted streaming services. Unlimited connections and MultiHop servers. Try Surfshark risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN allows you to connect to virtual Indian server locations in Singapore as well as the UK. In fact, it has more than 3,000 servers available in 94 countries. With this server network, it’s possible to stream Bollywood TV and cricket regardless of your physical location outside India. Streaming issues such as lag and buffering become a thing of the past with ExpressVPN because it provides speed-optimized servers and unlimited bandwidth.
While it’s quick and easy to get set up and connected to an Indian server with ExpressVPN, live chat and email support is available 24/7. This is a highly secure service thanks to its use of 256-bit AES encryption. ExpressVPN also has a kill switch feature and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Just as important as this, it doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. With your account, you’ll be able to secure up to five devices simultaneously.
To use ExpressVPN, simply download and install an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, or Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, it offers a Chrome browser extension as well as custom router firmware.
- Generous server network in 94 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- Securely access the likes of Netflix and Hotstar
- Quality customer support around the clock
- Keeps you safe online with its high level of encryption
- Slightly more expensive than most rival VPNs
BEST VALUE VPN:ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries. You can connect to virtual Indian servers for bypassing content restrictions from abroad. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming and 24/7 live chat and email support. Doesn’t keep identifying logs. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost lets you choose from more than 9,000 servers in 90+ countries. In fact, it has well over two dozen virtual servers in Mumbai, India. This makes it very easy to get an Indian IP address and access all of your favorite online content as normal. CyberGhost’s high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth let you stream and torrent without restriction. Note that you can secure up to seven of your devices at the same time with just a single account.
This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy which has been independently audited by Deloitte. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPV6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. In fact, it even offers a security suite for Windows. This consists of an antivirus and anti-malware. Needless to say, it’s a highly secure service — particularly important if you’re connecting to public wifi while on vacation. Need help? 24/7 support is available.
CyberGhost has desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) apps. You can also find Amazon Fire TV and Android TV apps as well as Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. It’s also possible to manually configure a connection with wifi routers.
- Huge number of servers available (9,000+ worldwide)
- Very good server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth
- Connect up to seven of your devices at once
- Security suite for Windows (includes antivirus)
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
LOTS OF INDIAN SERVERS:CyberGhost has no shortage of servers (9,000+ worldwide) and offers very fast server speeds for seamless streaming. Use it to connect up to seven devices at once. Independently audited no-logs policy and a Windows security suite. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish provides multiple virtual servers in India (although these servers aren’t listed on its VPN server locations page). Overall, there are more than 2,000 servers available worldwide in countries including the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Aside from Hotstar, IPVanish can be used to securely access the likes of Netflix US from anywhere. This VPN makes our list of the fastest VPNs. Its speeds let you stream content in 4K resolution without interruption.
This is a great choice for sharing with family thanks to its unlimited simultaneous connection allowance. IPVanish provides a high level of security consisting of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It states that its no-logs policy has been independently verified. It won’t log your IP address, traffic destination, or even connection time stamps. The IPVanish apps are easy to use but you can find 24/7 support via live chat and email should you need it.
IPVanish has apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You can also find an app for Amazon Fire TV. While Linux is supported, you’ll need to manually configure a connection.
- Virtual servers in India for bypassing content restrictions
- No limit on the number of devices you can connect simultaneously
- Some of the fastest speeds of any VPN we’ve tested
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Headquartered in a Five Eyes member country (the US)
- No browser extensions available
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:IPVanish provides virtual servers in India and has over 40,000 IP addresses available globally. Very fast connection speeds and unlimited bandwidth — ideal for streaming. Unlimited simultaneous connections and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the strongest unblockers of content and, as such, it’s ideal for use while traveling outside India. Not only will you be able to unblock and live stream Indian TV from anywhere, you’ll also be able to access the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. PrivateVPN’s server network covers just over 60 countries and it has virtual servers in the Indian cities of Bangalore and Mumbai. This VPN also offers unlimited bandwidth.
With PrivateVPN, you can now connect up to 10 devices simultaneously (the previous limit was six). A subscription includes access to the VPN’s all-important security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. Unlike many VPNs, PrivateVPN doesn’t even keep connection logs. The strict no-logs service is beginner-friendly and provides plenty of support (via live chat and email) with free remote help and installation.
Download and install PrivateVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. PrivateVPN is compatible with Linux and select routers, although manual setup is required.
- Very strong unblocker of streaming services, Hotstar included
- Provides virtual servers in Bangalore and Mumbai
- Secure up to 10 of your devices at the same time
- True no-logs policy with no connection logs
- Smaller network of servers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
STRONG UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN consistently bypasses geo-blocking and even works with multiple Netflix libraries. Unlimited bandwidth and lets you secure up to 10 devices at once. Very good customer support and a comprehensive no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has servers in more countries than most VPNs (80+ in all). Like many other VPNs, it has removed its physical servers in India in favor of virtual ones. Speeds are highly consistent thanks to unlimited bandwidth so you shouldn’t have any issues streaming or torrenting. Aside from being compatible with Hotstar, it also works well with Netflix. PIA even lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Upon connecting to a Private Internet Access server, you’ll benefit from its strong security offering of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. What’s more, it even blocks ads, trackers, and malware. PIA operates a no-logs policy and doesn’t even keep connection logs. Should you need help, live chat and email support is available to you around the clock. Optional extras include a Windows antivirus and a dedicated IP address.
PIA apps can be found for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Furthermore, browser extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. You can use PIA on select routers but manual configuration is required.
- Servers in 80 countries (includes virtual servers in India)
- Compatible with American Netflix
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Comprehensive no-logs policy — doesn’t keep connection logs
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- App UI could be easier to navigate
SERVERS IN 80+ COUNTRIES:Private Internet Access works well with Netflix, Hotstar, and more. Servers available in over 80 countries and this includes virtual servers in India. Unlimited devices per account. Ad, tracker, and malware blocker. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
How to connect to a VPN’s Indian server
Regardless of which of the best VPNs with Indian servers you choose, the process of getting signed up and set up is much the same. Indeed, by following the step-by-step instructions detailed below, you should be connected to a VPN’s Indian server within a matter of minutes.
Here’s how you can connect to a VPN server in India:
- Sign up with one of the VPNs listed in this post. We particularly recommend Surfshark.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your device. All major VPNs offer desktop and mobile apps at a minimum.
- Open the VPN app before connecting to a server in India. Note that this is likely to be a virtual server and thus physically located outside India.
- You should now have an Indian IP address, allowing you to access your favorite Indian websites and services from abroad.
- Content blocked? Clear your cookies. If you’re suffering from a slow connection, we recommend you connect to a server closer to your physical location.
Finding the best VPNs with Indian servers: our methodology
We analyze each VPN in order to find out if it’s of sufficient quality and worth recommending as a result. For example, we measure server speeds and test for DNS leaks. Below, we explain just some of what we’re looking for in a VPN:
- Servers worldwide: Of course, the first thing we look for is that a VPN offers Indian servers. In most cases, these are virtual servers. So while they provide you with an Indian IP address, they’re actually located outside India. We look for VPNs that offer servers in many countries so you’re not limited as to the content you can access.
- Speed: While many other VPNs offer Indian servers, some proved too slow to be included in this post. We test each VPN’s server speeds in an effort to identify the fastest VPNs on the market. They all have a couple of things in common: they support fast VPN protocols such as WireGuard and offer unlimited bandwidth — ideal for streaming.
- Unblocking: If you’re looking for a VPN with Indian servers, it may be that you’ve traveled abroad and wish to unblock geo-restricted content. Some VPNs are better at this than others. We’ve selected those VPNs that we found to be most consistent, particularly when it comes to unblocking Indian TV and streaming services such as Hulu.
- Security: A VPN should encrypt your data, securing it from prying eyes. At the very least, the VPNs we recommend offer this encryption as well as protection from DNS leaks. However, you can find extra should you need it. Some VPNs such as Surfshark even have MultiHop (Double VPN) servers and a malware and tracker blocker.
- Privacy: Not every VPN protects the privacy of its users. Aside from encrypting your data, a VPN should operate a no-logs policy. As such, it shouldn’t store any data by which you can be identified as a user. In order to find the VPNs that allow you to maintain online anonymity, we studied some 140 VPN logging policies in all.
- Ease of use: It shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to sign up for a VPN and download and install its app. Once set up, you can connect to a server in just a click or two. It should also be easy to find and adjust the VPN’s various settings. We recommend VPNs that offer customer support via live chat and email to help you resolve any issues.
- Value for money: Last but not least, the best VPNs with Indian servers offer good value for money with both long and short-term subscription options as well as a risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days. You can get an even better deal in this post if you take advantage of the VPN discount coupons listed further above.
Our VPN testing methodology post further explains our process when it comes to analyzing VPNs.
Best VPNs with Indian servers: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with Indian servers?
Many free VPNs don’t offer Indian servers. Even if you find one that does, there are too many other issues that contribute to what’s likely to be a negative experience. For example, a lot of free VPNs throttle the bandwidth of users. This leads to poor performance which is particularly noticeable if you attempt to stream, torrent, or play games online. Free VPNs also tend to be poor unblockers of content — far from ideal if you’re on vacation and trying to bypass blocks.
Free VPNs have some security issues. A 2020 investigation into iOS VPN applications found that almost 40 percent leaked some form of personally identifiable information. Indeed, some free VPNs willingly share such information in order to make money. A quality paid VPN service will secure your data through encryption and operate a no-logs policy, serving to protect your privacy and allow you to browse the web anonymously.
Why do these VPNs have virtual Indian servers?
All of the best VPNs with Indian servers share something in common: they all offer virtual Indian servers. In April 2022, the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) introduced new rules that resulted in the vast majority of major VPN providers from shutting down their servers in the country. The new law required VPNs to retain customer data for a minimum of five years and share it with the government upon request.
Needless to say, no privacy-respecting VPN will agree with the above. Having removed their servers in India, the best VPNs instead offered virtual Indian servers as an alternative. Connecting to such a server provides you with an Indian IP address. This is despite the fact that the virtual server is located outside India and thus doesn’t have to comply with India’s mandatory data collection laws.