As an Indian expat living abroad or on vacation, it’s possible that you’re unable to access Indian TV shows and channels from platforms like Hotstar, Eros Now, Sony Liv, and Jio Cinema. While all these sites require prior registration to work, they also need to validate that you’re logging in from the right location. If you want to bypass regional blocking and make it appear that you’re in India, we recommend that you use a VPN for Indian TV.
Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs, keep you safe and protected on the internet by encrypting all the network traffic flowing to and from your device. This means that even your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can’t figure out what you’re up to online, as well as any would-be hackers, snoopers, or surveillance agencies. Plus, if you connect to an Indian server, geo-restricted websites won’t be able to see that you’re actually located elsewhere.
The problem is that since the government began requiring VPN providers to keep identifying logs of their users, most major services have removed their Indian servers. However, there are a few VPNs that still offer virtual servers, allowing you to remain anonymous while streaming your favorite shows.
In a hurry? Here are the best VPNs to watch Indian TV shows and channels online from outside India:
- CyberGhost: Great speeds and well-designed apps make this VPN suitable for streaming and unblocking.
- IPVanish: Robust location-evading technology means your internet activity will stay private.
- Hotspot Shield: A fast and user-friendly VPN that’s ideal for streaming Indian services securely.
- PrivateVPN: Popular service that punches above its weight. Good for streaming but having physical Indian servers mean it’s unsuitable for remaining anonymous while doing so.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Indian TV with no restrictions for a month—great if you're planning to binge your favorite show or are taking a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Of course, there are lots of VPN options out there but not all of them make the cut. The best VPNs to watch Indian TV shows and channels abroad are based on the following qualities:
- Capable of unblocking platforms like Hotstar and Eros Now
- Fast speeds and servers in India
- Strong encryption and security standards
- No logging of personal information
- Consistent customer support
Best VPNs to stream Indian TV shows and channels
Don’t miss out on your favorite Indian TV shows and channels while traveling abroad. Here’s our list of the best VPNs you can use to watch Indian TV shows from anywhere:
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is very easy for beginner users to get acquainted with as it offers a simple user interface and allows you to select servers optimized for a specific purpose. It offers exceptionally high speeds and has virtual Indian servers that allow you to stream Hotstar, Netflix, and more securely.
This VPN is packed with security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, an internet kill switch, anti-malware defense, and an ad-blocker. It doesn’t store logs of any nature.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. A single account allows for seven devices to connect concurrently and customer support is available 24/7.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Operates a network of more than 8,000 servers in 90+ countries
- Top-tier speeds
- Apps are great for beginners
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
BEST VPN FOR INDIAN TV SHOWS:CyberGhost offers very fast speeds, a well-designed user interface, and virtual servers in India that won’t compromise your privacy. Try it with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has around 2,000 servers globally, with a few virtual servers in India for anyone who’s like to get an Indian IP address or watch their favorite shows from abroad. Notably, all of these servers are owned outright, so there’s next to no chance of outside interference. This VPN even lets you connect as many devices as you like, meaning it’s ideal for sharing with family.
This service uses 256-bit encryption along with perfect forward secrecy and DNS leak protection. It doesn’t log any user data and recently added WireGuard support, though users can also choose to scramble OpenVPN traffic if they’d prefer.
You can make use of dedicated apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Customer support is available around the clock via live chat.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Customer support can be a little slow
GOOD FOR STREAMING:IPVanish is a popular choice for those who want to keep their internet connection private. Fast speeds and strong unblocking capabilities give it further value. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee on annual plans .
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is an extremely versatile VPN that offers access to around 1,800 servers in 80+ countries around the world. It even has virtual servers in India, making it a strong choice for anyone looking to stream Disney+ Hotstar while traveling abroad. With consistently high speeds, no bandwidth throttling, and a five-device limit, this service is a great option for almost any task.
What’s more, it takes your security seriously. Users are protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks, and their connections are secured with uncrackable encryption, tracker-blocking, and a kill switch. This VPN doesn’t keep any logs either, so there’s no need to worry about privacy. If you need help, just reach out using the free, 24/7 live chat service.
Hotspot Shield has its own Linux, Android, iOS, MacOS, and Android apps. It can also be manually installed on supported routers.
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Good range of security settings
- Strong unblocking potential
- Doesn’t accept cryptocurrency payments
Check out our full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has around 200 servers globally, two of which are physically located in India. While these are perfect for accessing services like Netflix , Amazon Prime Video, and Hotstar abroad, they are subject to India’s new data-logging requirements. In other words, we wouldn’t use these servers for anything you’d want the government to know about.
The good news is that all of the servers outside of India can be relied upon for privacy. These keep you safe with 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, leak protection, and a stealth mode capable of beating even the toughest online restrictions. Also, PrivateVPN follows a zero-logs policy, so as long as you choose servers in privacy-friendly countries, there’s no need to worry about having your activities traced back to you.
You can use PrivateVPN on Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS. A single account allows for up to 10 devices to connect at the same time while customer support is available during European business hours.
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Works with Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar
- Very fast speeds
- Still uses physical Indian servers instead of virtual
- Live chat is not around the clock
QUICK SPEEDS:PrivateVPN delivers express speeds and is a reliable performer with several streaming platforms. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
VPN for Indian TV testing methodology
Choosing a VPN to watch Indian TV shows abroad requires it to have specific features. Unfortunately, not all VPNs have fast Indian servers that work with TV streaming platforms like Hotstar.
In this guide, we used our VPN testing methodology to pinpoint the best VPNs for watching Indian TV channels abroad. Here are some of the most important features we look for:
- Fast Indian servers. Slow servers cannot provide HD video without buffering and diminishing quality. Unfortunately, most VPNs do not invest in fast servers capable of streaming Indian TV shows abroad. We tested our recommendations to ensure they are fast enough to let you play games, torrent, make video calls and watch TV streams.
- Apps for all devices. For a VPN to be useful and versatile, you should be able to install and use it on any of the devices you own. We have recommended VPNs that will let you watch Indian TV abroad on a laptop, tablet, or smartphone device. Plus, our recommendations let you use the VPN on multiple devices simultaneously, so that you and the kids can access different channels or shows.
- Ease of use. Despite providing a wealth of online protection and security features, we have only recommended VPNs that are easy to use. The apps have been designed to be straightforward, and each provider has setup guides to help you in setting up and using the VPN
- Outstanding support. Besides having useful guides for their apps, we have recommended VPNs that have email and live chat support. So, if you experience confusion when trying to watch Indian TV abroad, simply head over to the website to ask for help.
- Robust privacy measures. A VPN is primarily designed to give you online privacy. With this in mind, we have only recommended VPNs that provide advanced security features like AES encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill-switch, and obfuscation. Ideally, they’d use virtual Indian servers too, to protect you against the government’s new data-logging requirements.
- Excellent accessibility. A useful VPN will not only provide access to Indian TV from abroad but also to international services from India or elsewhere. We thoroughly test our recommendations to check they work to bypass online restrictions and censorship – no matter where you are in the world – or what you want to access. This includes Netflix, for example.
How do I stream Indian TV shows and channels with a VPN?
There are lots of streaming platforms that host Indian content. Some of these are Hotstar, Jio Cinema, Sony Liv, Eros Now, and Zee 5. You will need to sign up for these providers before trying to log in from anywhere. Most of them require an Indian payment method, but it’s recommended that you check with the individual service before any attempts.
Once you have access to an Indian streaming service, follow these simple steps to access it anywhere in the world:
How to use a VPN to stream Indian tv shows and channels
- Settle on one of the VPNs we’ve recommended in this list.
- Proceed to download and install the native VPN app directly from your chosen provider’s site or an official app store.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in India. Wait for the connection to be established.
- Navigate to your provider’s website — so if you’re trying to log in to Hotstar, go to its site and log in with your account credentials.
- Congratulations. Now you should be able to stream all the TV shows you want.
Should I use a free VPN to stream Indian TV shows and channels online?
Free VPNs are a tempting option as they offer a frictionless sign up process without any upfront payments. But we advise that you refrain from going down this route. Lots of streaming services, such as Hotstar have invested in rigorous internal security to prevent VPN usage. This means only the best providers are able to overcome restrictions, and free services don’t make the cut.
In our research, we noticed that free VPNs don’t usually offer servers in India. Since you need an Indian IP address to stream TV shows and channels online, we don’t think that you’ll be able to obtain a stable one through a free provider.
What’s more, free VPNs are known to shortchange users. They rely on invasive tactics to earn money, such as bombarding their users with advertisements, injecting tracking cookies to investigate browsing habits, or even bundling together idle user bandwidth for use in botnets.
To protect your digital footprint, we maintain that you should invest in a VPN provider that’s known for its high standards of security and privacy such as the ones we’ve recommended in this article.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Indian TV Channels Outside of India?
Online streaming platforms in India use geo-restrictions to prevent people from accessing their content abroad. They do this to comply with the licensing agreements they have made with content producers and copyright holders.
These legal obligations compel online streaming platforms to track each user’s IP address. If a user is discovered attempting to stream content from an IP address outside of India, the TV streaming platform will automatically serve them an error message.
Due to these regional locks, the only way to stream Indian TV abroad is to use a VPN. VPNs let you conceal your IP address from websites. By connecting to an IP address in India, users can digitally appear to be back home to watch Indian platforms like Hotstar, Zee5, Viu, and Voot outside of India.
Why do so few VPNs have Indian servers?
In April of 2022, the Indian government released new regulations that force companies to store logs for servers located in India. The new regulations, which were published by the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), require detailed logs to be stored for 180 days, with other identifying data needing to be stored for 5 years. The rules came into effect on June 27.
Due to these new regulations, the vast majority of no logs VPNs have had to withdraw their servers from the country. This is because, under the new regulations, it is impossible for VPN providers to provide a no logs service while also complying with the surveillance law.
As it is has become impossible for VPNs to maintain servers in India, while also promising their users watertight privacy levels, it is likely to become much more difficult for VPN users to get an IP address within India. As a result, VPNs may seek to offer virtual servers in the country as an alternative way of providing access to Indian services, such as TV platforms.
It is also worth noting that the new regulations published by CERT-In increase the potential for security risks in India. Forcing companies to store data about their customers for 5 years will increase the opportunity for hackers to steal that customer data. NordVPN commented:
“From what it seems, the amount of stored private information will be drastically increased throughout hundreds or maybe thousands of different companies. It is hard to imagine that all, especially small and medium enterprises, will have the proper means to ensure the security of such data.”