As an Indian expat living abroad, or someone who’s simply interested in streaming the latest Indian TV shows, it’s possible that you’re unable to access Indian TV shows and channels from platforms like Hotstar, Eros Now, Sony Liv, and Jio Cinema.
While all these sites require prior registration to work, they also need to validate that you’re logging in from a location inside India. If you want to bypass regional blocking and make it appear that you’re in the South Asian country, we recommend that you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
VPNs keep you safe and protected on the internet by encrypting all the network traffic flowing to and from your device. This means that even your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can’t figure out what you’re up to online, as well as any would-be hackers, snoopers, or surveillance agencies. Plus, if you connect to an Indian server, geo-restricted websites won’t be able to see that you’re actually located elsewhere.
In a hurry? Here are the best VPNs to watch Indian TV shows and channels online from outside India:
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 choice for those who want to access Indian TV shows and channels abroad. Top-notch security features and fast speeds. Works with Hotstar, Jio TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can it try risk-free.
- NordVPN: Good budget VPN with strong privacy and security features. Works with most popular streaming services.
- CyberGhost: Great speeds and well-designed apps make this VPN suitable for streaming and unblocking.
- IPVanish: Robust location-evading technology means your internet activity will stay private.
- Surfshark: Gaining a reputation for unblocking sites. Allows for unlimited simultaneous connections.
- PrivateVPN: Popular service that punches above its weight. Good for streaming.
Of course, there are lots of VPN options out there but not all of them make the cut. The best VPNs to watch Indian TV shows and channels abroad are based on the following qualities:
- Capable of unblocking platforms like Hotstar and Eros Now
- Fast speeds and servers in India
- Strong encryption and security standards
- No logging of personal information
- Consistent customer support
Best VPNs to stream Indian TV shows and channels
Don’t miss out on your favorite Indian TV shows and channels while traveling abroad. Here’s our list of the best VPNs you can use to watch Indian TV shows from anywhere:
ExpressVPN is our top choice to stream Indian TV shows and channels from abroad. It has lots of servers in India and is proven to unblock services such as Hotstar, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more. It’s also one of the fastest VPNs out there, so HD streaming is a straightforward affair.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit encryption along with perfect forward secrecy, so you can expect a private and leak-proof connection. Additional measures include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a policy of not logging any personally identifiable information. ExpressVPN accepts payments via Bitcoin and anonymous sign-ups via burner email addresses, for those who take their privacy extremely seriously.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. One account allows for up to five simultaneous connections, and customer support is accessible 24/7.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Industry-leading security features
- Works with all major streaming sites, e.g. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- 24-hour live chat support, 7 days a week
- Some rivals are slightly cheaper
BEST FOR INDIAN TV SHOWS:ExpressVPN is our top choice due to its fast speeds and proven capability with a vast range of streaming services. Customer service is helpful and the service ships with a 30-day money-back guarantee, making it a risk-free deal.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN has 21 servers in India, part of a global network of over 5,700. The service is extremely quick, customizable, and highly secure.
NordVPN is a robust choice for those looking to stream geo-restricted media: it can unblock lots of media platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. You can select a server specifically for HD streaming so there’s very little chance of buffering or lag.
Security is maintained with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. There’s also an ad blocker and anti-malware defense. Plus, this provider stores no logs and accepts payments via cryptocurrencies.
You can use NordVPN on Windows, Android, Linux, MacOS, and iOS. One account allows for six simultaneous connections and customer support is accessible 24/7.
- Great low-cost alternative for streaming
- Unblocks the majority of streaming services with ease
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Cumbersome desktop app may cause issues for novice users
BEST BUDGET OPTION:NordVPN is affordable but doesn’t compromise on any premium VPN features. It’s a good choice for geo-restricted media and ships with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our NordVPN review.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost is very easy for beginner users to get acquainted with as it offers a simple user interface and allows you to select servers optimized for a specific purpose. It offers 14 high-speed servers in India, all of which come with reliable uptime and consistent security.
Streaming Indian TV shows and channels won’t pose a challenge for CyberGhost as it’s already capable of unblocking several media services across the world. Plus, it keeps your connection secure while doing so, offering 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, an internet kill switch, anti-malware defense, and an ad-blocker. It doesn’t store logs of any nature.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. A single account allows for seven devices to connect concurrently and customer support is available 24/7.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Operates a network of more than 3,787 servers in 60 countries
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Apps are great for beginners
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
FAST AND SECURE:CyberGhost offers very fast speeds, a well-designed user interface, and lots of servers in India. Try it with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish ships with rigorous location-evading tech. It offers 12 optimized servers in India, part of a global network of over 1,300. Speeds are quick and this provider chooses to own and operate all the servers in its network, giving it far more control over all traffic.
IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption along with perfect forward secrecy and DNS leak protection. It doesn’t log any user data and allows 10 devices to connect simultaneously. Plus, it can unblock lots of streaming services including Netflix US.
You can make use of dedicated apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Customer support is around the clock.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Customer support is a little slow
GOOD FOR STREAMING:IPVanish is a popular choice for those who want to keep their internet connection private. Fast speeds and strong unblocking capabilities give it further value. Try it with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark is a relatively new provider but it’s rapidly carved out a name for itself due to its security features and unblocking prowess. It operates over 800 servers in 50 countries, including options in India. Plus it’s capable of thwarting geo-restrictions put in place by Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu, and you’re covered if you want to stream Indian TV shows and channels.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, along with perfect forward secrecy, DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
One of Surfshark’s most compelling features is that it allows an unlimited number of devices to connect with one account, so you can easily share with friends, family, or flatmates. Apps are included for all the major platforms — Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. Customer support via live chat can be accessed 24/7.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Unlimited devices
- Relatively small server network
RELIABLE AND SPEEDY:Surfshark supports all your devices and ships with reliable speeds and uptime. Try it with a 30- day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN offers two servers in India. Some users might think this is inadequate, but that’s part of a deliberate decision by the provider to keep its server network small without skimping on any premium features.
This provider unblocks a bevy of geo-restricted media services including Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. It secures all traffic with 256-bit encryption, an internet kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. Plus, it doesn’t store user logs of any nature.
You can use PrivateVPN on Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS. A single account allows for up to six devices to connect at the same time while customer support is available during European business hours.
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Very fast speeds
- Small number of servers to choose from
- Live chat is not around the clock
QUICK SPEEDS:PrivateVPN delivers express speeds and is a reliable performer with several geo-restricted streaming platforms. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
How do I stream Indian TV shows and channels with a VPN?
There are lots of streaming platforms that host Indian content. Some of these are Hotstar, Jio Cinema, Sony Liv, Eros Now, and Zee 5. You will need to sign up for these providers before trying to log in from anywhere. Most of them require an Indian payment method, but it’s recommended that you check with the individual service before any attempts.
Once you have access to an Indian streaming service, follow these simple steps to access it anywhere in the world:
How to use a VPN to stream Indian tv shows and channels
- Settle on one of the VPNs we’ve recommended in this list. Our top choice is ExpressVPN.
- Proceed to download and install the native VPN app directly from your chosen provider’s site or an official app store.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in India. Wait for the connection to be established.
- Navigate to your provider’s website — so if you’re trying to log in to Hotstar, go to its site and log in with your account credentials.
- Congratulations. Now you should be able to stream all the TV shows you want.
Should I use a free VPN to stream Indian TV shows and channels online?
Free VPNs are a tempting option as they offer a frictionless sign up process without any upfront payments. But we advise that you refrain from going down this route. Lots of streaming services, such as Netflix, Hotstar, and others, have invested in rigorous internal security to prevent VPN usage. This means only the best providers are able to overcome restrictions, and free services don’t make the cut.
In our research, we noticed that free VPNs don’t usually offer servers in India. Since you need an Indian IP address to stream TV shows and channels online, we don’t think that you’ll be able to obtain a stable one through a free provider.
What’s more, free VPNs are known to shortchange users. They rely on invasive tactics to earn money, such as bombarding their users with advertisements, injecting tracking cookies to investigate browsing habits, or even bundling together idle user bandwidth for use in botnets.
To protect your digital footprint, we maintain that you should invest in a VPN provider that’s known for its high standards of security and privacy such as the ones we’ve recommended in this article.
- 1 Best VPNs to stream Indian TV shows and channels
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year plan
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year plan
- 10 5. Surfshark
- 11 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 12 6. PrivateVPN
- 13 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 14 How do I stream Indian TV shows and channels with a VPN?
- 15 Should I use a free VPN to stream Indian TV shows and channels online?