Whether you’re an Indian expat living abroad or a holidaymaker trying to stream the latest sports coverage, Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) has it all. Unfortunately, if you want to watch Tata Play, it’s only accessible for those who log in with an Indian IP address. That’s despite the fact that it’s partly owned by Sky, a major force in British television.
If you try to log in to Tata Play from outside India, you’ll receive an error message. The best solution to this problem is to connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) first.
VPNs will assist in streaming Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) from anywhere in the world as long as you have a stable internet connection. They encrypt your web traffic and route it through an intermediary server in a location of your choice. When you select a server in India, your real IP address is replaced with an Indian one, and host websites and apps assume you’re in India.
Another advantage of VPNs is that their use of encryption makes it impossible for hackers and snoopers to eavesdrop on your online activity or attempt to pilfer your private data.
How do I watch Tata Play online with a VPN?
Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) is one of India’s premium cable television providers. As such, you will need an existing account with the company before attempting to sign in. It’s not possible to register from outside India, as you need a local cell phone number, home address, and an India-specific payment method such as a local credit card or Paytm.
Assuming you have an existing account, you’ll need to obtain an IP address from India when trying to stream Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) from abroad.
Here’s how to watch Tata Play from outside India:
- Register with one of the VPNs we’ve recommended on this list. Our top choice is NordVPN.
- Once your payment is successfully processed, proceed to download and install the native VPN client directly from your chosen provider’s site or the official app store.
- Open the VPN and connect to a server in India. Once connected, navigate to Tata Play’s page and log in with your account credentials.
- Congratulations. All of Tata Play’s content should now be available.
VPNs are a dime a dozen, but every VPN on our recommended list, referenced below, stand out from the crowd. These providers, optimized to unblock Tata Play from outside India, have been evaluated on the following parameters:
- Suitable for unblocking geo-restricted media streams
- Offers a large number of servers in India
- High speeds for HD streaming without any noticeable lag
- Resolute privacy and encryption features
- Friendly and assistive customer support
- Provision for multiple simultaneous connections
In a hurry? Here’s a snapshot of our top 6 recommendations to stream Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) from outside India.
Best VPN to watch Tata Play outside India:
- NordVPN: Our #1 pick to stream Indian content on Tata Play from anywhere in the world. Offers stellar speeds, excellent privacy and anonymity standards, and 24/7 customer support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Great budget option. An up-and-coming provider that’s rapidly adding new servers and gaining a reputation for unblocking streaming media. Connect unlimited devices with one account.
- ExpressVPN: Robust speeds, uncrackable encryption, and optimized servers in India make this provider a natural fit.
- CyberGhost: Valuable choice for newcomers and amateur users. Ships with well-designed, intuitive apps and has an excellent track record of unblocking geo-restricted media.
- IPVanish: Decent speeds, unhackable encryption, and a large number of simultaneous connections make it a valuable contender.
- PrivateVPN: Some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested. Allows for anonymous signups and uses top-notch encryption protocols.
The best VPNs for Tata Play – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Tata Play.
|Website||www.NordVPN.com||www.Surfshark.com||www.ExpressVPN.com||www.Cyberghost.com||www.IPVanish.com||www.PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Streaming Sports||1||2||3||4||5||6||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Total number of servers||5,100||3,200||3,000||6,000+||1,900||200+||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||323.6 Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 68% + GET 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months FREE
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for Tata Play Streaming
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to watch Tata Play (Formally Tata Sky) from anywhere in the world:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top selection for Tata Play. It outperformed all other VPNs in our speed tests and offers 18 servers in India, so there are plenty of options for a reliable connection to unblock Tata Play. Other than India, this provider hosts north of 5,200 servers across 60 countries including several locations in North America, Europe, and Australia.
NordVPN works with lots of streaming sites such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Hotstar, and Star Sports. You’re able to view each server’s existing load so if you think one has too many users, just change your initial pick.
NordVPN ships with a ton of advanced features and options — these include double VPN protection, Tor over VPN, and automatic wifi coverage. This provider uses 256-bit AES encryption, an internet kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, ensuring ironclad security and an unhackable connection.
For the most privacy-conscious users, the service allows Bitcoin payments and registration via a burner email account.
Apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS are available as well as Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. One account allows for six simultaneous connections and there’s 24/7 live chat support on offer.
- Expansive server network
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Superfast and reliable downloading and streaming speeds
- Task-specific optimized servers
- Around-the-clock support
- Connections through the desktop app can be slow
BEST VPN FOR TATA PLAY:NordVPN is our #1 selection. It’s superfast, great at unblocking, and operates a huge network. It’ll help you stream Tata Play and secure your account in the process. Try it with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is an excellent budget alternative, It’s registered in the British Virgin Islands, so it’s shielded from mandatory data logs. Plus, it states quite clearly that it doesn’t indulge in traffic retention of any kind including IP addresses, browsing history, or timestamps.
The service clocked impressive speeds during our testing and was able to stream both Netflix US and BBC iPlayer. It provides unlimited data and bandwidth and supports torrenting. The network boasts more than 3,000 servers, including some based in India.
Security features are top-notch; Surfshark uses 256-bit AES encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Its proprietary technology blocks ads and malware and includes a split tunneling option.
Apps are included for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. One account allows for an unlimited number of simultaneous connections so it’s easy to split with friends and family. Customer support is 24/7.
- Unlimited devices
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Automatic wifi protection
- 24/7 support
- Lots of security extras
- Their server network is smaller than most other VPNs
EXCELLENT BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark reliably unblocks lots of streaming services on all the major platforms. It’s available at a low price and ships with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is another strong contender for a Tata Play VPN. This provider has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries including many servers in India. It delivers fast speeds and reliable connections with high uptime rates. ExpressVPN is adept at granting secure access to lots of content including the Indian libraries for both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It also enables access to Hotstar.
256-bit AES encryption is enabled by default. Additional security measures include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, an internet kill switch, perfect forward secrecy, and split tunneling. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any activity or web session data, so your digital footprint is hidden from everyone.
This VPN provider supports all the major platforms, with apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. There’s a firmware for some wifi routers too. Five devices can connect at the same time with one account. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat so you can expect quick resolution of any issues.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Best in class security and privacy
- Works with Netflix US, UK, and others
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Advanced configuration for power-users is a little limited
GREAT UNBLOCKER:ExpressVPN can unblock Tata Play from anywhere in the world, and also enable access to Hotstar, Netflix, and other popular sites. Fast speeds, reliable uptime, and ironclad security are included. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN Review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is one of the fastest providers on this list and makes it extremely easy for beginner users to get started with VPNs. With 20 optimized, high-speed servers in India, it’ll do the job of unblocking Tata Play without any problems.
There’s support for an additional 58 countries, so you can use CyberGhost to get an IP address from lots of different locations.
Other than Tata Play, CyberGhost reliably enables access to Netflix US, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Streamers are offered unlimited bandwidth. 256-bit AES encryption secures connections, and privacy options include DNS leak protection, an internet kill switch, anti-malware defense, and an ad-blocker.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. A single account allows for seven simultaneous connections and customer support is available whenever you need it.
- Streams HD video seamlessly
- Keeps no logs
- Split-exclude feature for websites and split-include feature for applications
- Easy to use, select activity type and be connected to the most appropriate server
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
FAST AND INTUITIVE:CyberGhost delivers express speeds, a simple user interface, and lots of servers in India. Try it with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost VPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has support for an Indian IP address. While it only offers two servers in India, both in the capital city of Delhi, it secures them with top-tier encryption and a policy of not storing any data logs or session details. Global servers number over 1,300 across 75 locations.
Other than Tata Play, this provider is able to securely access Netflix US as well as several other popular streaming sources. It makes use of 256-bit AES encryption along with perfect forward secrecy and DNS leak protection. All its servers are managed in-house which gives it far more control over traffic and prevents any leakages outside the encrypted tunnel.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, and customer support is present around the clock.
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Operates a network of more than 1,300 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Very fast speeds
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
RELIABLE VPN:IPVanish provides a consistent experience to stream Tata Play from outside India. Try it with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN doesn’t have a massive server network (and based on anecdotal evidence, it doesn’t seem as if it’s going to be adding more anytime soon). However, it makes up for this relative disadvantage with superior service and extremely fast connections.
There’s one physical server in Chennai and another virtual one housed in Bangalore, so an Indian IP address is definitely attainable. There are a total of 60 global server locations, with many servers optimized for HD video streaming and unblocking.
Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, perfect forward secrecy, and an internet kill switch. What’s more, PrivateVPN doesn’t store any user logs on its servers.
Apps are available for all the major streaming platforms — Android, Windows, iOS, and macOS. A single account allows for up to six devices to connect concurrently. Customer support is available during European business hours.
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Very fast speeds
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- A small number of servers to choose from
- Support staff are good, but only operate during European business hours
PRIMED FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is very fast and is tested to work with several streaming platforms. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private VPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for watching Tata Play online
There are multiple factors to consider when choosing a VPN, particularly if you’re looking to stream Tata Play while traveling abroad. This includes having servers in India as well as fast, unthrottled speeds. Here we explain our methodology which helped us find the best VPNs for watching Tata Play:
- Servers in India: In order to unblock Tata Play from anywhere in the world, you’ll need access to Indian servers. All of the VPNs listed in this post allow you to get an Indian IP address and unblock Tata Play. Better still, all provide servers in dozens of countries so that you can access most geo-restricted content you’re likely to come across.
- Speed: Streaming requires fast server speeds and no bandwidth throttling. For this reason, we conducted speed tests to find the fastest VPNs for Tata Play, all of which offer unlimited bandwidth. In all cases, you’ll be able to stream in the highest quality without having to worry about low resolution, lag, or buffering.
- Security: One of the main reasons to use a VPN (besides streaming Tata Play!) is to secure your internet connection. The best VPNs do this through 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Some of the VPNs in this post even offer extras such as automatic wifi protection or specialized Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: Not every VPN operates a no-logs policy. This means your data may be shared with authorities or even sold to third parties. We’ve identified the VPNs that don’t keep any identifying logs of users by looking at 140 VPN logging policies. Indeed, all of the recommended VPNs require minimal personal data for signup.
- Ease of use: Whichever VPN you choose from this list, you’ll benefit from user-friendly apps for all major operating systems. Once you’re all set up, connecting to a server only takes a few seconds. Furthermore, you’ll have access to live chat and email support (available 24 hours a day) should you require any assistance.
- Value for money: All of the best VPNs for Tata Play offer long-term and short-term subscription options. Aside from meeting all of the above criteria, these include a risk-free money-back guarantee, making them great value for money. Better still, you can save on the price of a subscription by taking advantage of our VPN discount coupons.
Looking for all of the above is just part of our VPN testing methodology which involves extensive hands-on use of each VPN. This allows us to better judge which VPN best fits your needs (in this case a fast and secure VPN for streaming Tata Play outside India).
VPNs for Watching Tata Play Online: FAQs
Should I use a free VPN for Tata Play?
When it comes to streaming geo-restricted media, only the best VPNs make the cut. That’s because this task isn’t a straightforward affair and requires stringent cloaking standards in order to deliver a reliable and robust connection.
While the interwebs are awash with free VPN services, such providers are several notches below their paid counterparts. Free VPNs aren’t equipped with military-grade encryption protocols, or extra security features like automatic wifi protection, split tunneling, or perfect forward secrecy. Most offer a threadbare product that’s designed to make money off you somehow.
If you opt for a free VPN, don’t expect fast speeds, dedicated customer support, or options to switch to IP addresses from all over the world. You’ll probably be subjected to data caps, bandwidth throttling, and wait times to connect to a server during peak hours. What’s more, you might also have to endure lots of pesky, intrusive advertisements and contend with the possibility of a privacy invasion.
These traits go against the reasons you should opt for VPNs in the first place. After all, you’re trying to protect your data and online footprint, not expose it. Plus, the extremely slow speeds offered by free VPNs mean streaming Tata Play will be a cumbersome and frustrating experience.
It’s better not to take unnecessary risks. With a paid VPN, you’ll have peace of mind and a top-tier user experience.
Why is Tata Play geo-restricted?
Tata Play is a licensed broadcaster and isn’t in the business of producing its own content. Most of the popular shows on the platform, such as ICC World Cup Cricket, Adventures of Tarzan, Bodyguard, Men in Black, Kinnari, and Blunt Talk, have been provided to the Indian company by third-party production houses.
Streaming rights and licensing deals for all content forces Tata Play to limit its broadcast region to India alone. If it were to open up its platform for streamers around the world, it would violate agreements and threaten broadcasters who have similar deals for their home countries.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream content illegally. Please consult local laws before deciding to embark on this route. If you have any questions, then it’s best to talk to a lawyer in your country of residence.
What else can I do with a VPN?
VPNs are great for enabling access to geo-restricted streaming media, but they have other tricks up their sleeve too.
VPNs create an encrypted, almost impenetrable connection. This means it’s a stress-free task to access public wifi networks -- the kind of wifi networks you find at coffee shops, malls, and airports. Because of the public nature of said networks, would-be hackers lie in wait, knowing that large swathes of users are connected at any given time. Phishing attempts and man-in-the-middle attacks are two common methods to extract your data, and a VPN can help guard against both.
A VPN is also an excellent choice to safely and securely log on to online banking services. When you’re traveling outside your home country, either for work or pleasure, it’s possible that you might want to transfer funds or pay off a credit card bill. VPNs will secure your connection so that your financial data isn’t compromised. Plus a VPN can make it appear that you’re in your home country, preventing fraud alerts that might otherwise prompt your bank to block your account.
Can I watch Tata Play on mobile outside of India?
Yes, watching Tata Play on your mobile is as simple as downloading the Tata Play mobile app and the appropriate VPN mobile app for your Android or iOS devices. The process is the same as watching via desktop in that you’ll need to connect to a VPN server in India. You’ll then have an Indian IP address, allowing you to stream Tata Play from anywhere in the world.