If you travel abroad (outside Chile), you’ll find that some websites and services become region-locked. This is particularly common with streaming platforms due to copyright and licensing restrictions. However, it can also impact news sites as well as online banking services. In order to continue browsing and streaming as normal, you’ll need to get an IP address for Chile. You can do this with a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN is a service you can use to spoof your location and bypass geo-blocking. By connecting to a VPN server in Chile, you’d receive a Chilean IP address. This makes it look as if you’re browsing from that location even if you’re overseas. As such, you’ll be able to stream Chilevisión, Mega, and TVN from anywhere. A VPN encrypts your data so you’ll also be able to browse and stream with greater online security.
How to get an IP address for Chile
Don’t worry if you’ve never used a VPN before. They’re remarkably easy to set up, particularly when you follow the simple step-by-step instructions we’ve outlined below!
Here’s how to get a Chilean IP address:
- Sign up with a suitable VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN for getting an IP address for Chile.
- Proceed to download and install the native software on your device. This should only take a minute or two.
- Open the VPN app (you’ll probably need to log in) and connect to a server located in Chile to get a Chilean IP address.
- Try accessing geo-restricted content from Chile (Canal 13 is one option). This content should now be unblocked.
- Still doesn’t work? Clear your browser cache and cookies and start again. Alternatively, connect to another server or contact your VPN’s support.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Chilean IP address with no restrictions for a month—perfect if there's a lot of content you wish to stream.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
We explain the merits of each individual provider further below, but first here’s a brief summary of our top VPNs for getting an IP address for Chile.
- NordVPN: Best VPN for getting an IP address for Chile. Fast server speeds, specialty P2P and Double VPN servers, and a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Growing network includes servers in Chile. Secure an unlimited number of devices at once. High-speed connections and MultiHop servers.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries, Chile included. Fast, unthrottled speeds and strong security with encryption. Doesn’t keep identifying logs of users.
- CyberGhost: Huge network of 9,000+ servers covers 90 countries, including Chile. Unlimited bandwidth and up to seven simultaneous connections.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast VPN with user-friendly desktop and mobile apps. Strong unblocking and a strict no-logs policy with the option to pay in Bitcoin.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable servers in Chile for getting a Chilean IP address. Use on up to 10 devices simultaneously. No-logs VPN with encryption.
- AtlasVPN: Offer servers in dozens of countries. Good, consistent speeds and lots of security features, including split tunneling and a kill switch.
Best VPNs for getting an IP address for Chile
There are lots of VPNs out there, but only a select few make it to our list. We’ve carefully filtered through the many options by looking for those that meet the following criteria:
- Maintains fast and stable servers in Chile
- Able to unblock geo-restricted content
- World-class privacy and anonymity features
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- User-friendly apps for major operating systems
This is just a summary, but you can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made our list.
Best VPNs for gaining a Chilean IP address – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for gaining a Chilean IP address.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||PrivateVPN||Private Internet Access||AtlasVPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Chile:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||117 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||9,300||200+||Undisclosed||1000+||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||85%||70%||93%|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on a 2 year plan
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting a Chilean IP address:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top recommend VPN for getting a Chilean IP address. It has a particularly large server network with over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, including Chile. It delivers fast speeds and handy unlocking capabilities, so streaming your favorite Chilean content won’t pose much of a challenge. Indeed, it also works well with popular international streaming platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
All traffic is safeguarded by 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. You also have the option of specialty servers which include P2P and Double VPN servers. NordVPN is a no-logs service and offers users the option of paying anonymously in Bitcoin. 24/7 customer support is available whenever you might need it via live chat and email.
Secure up to six devices at once via NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions, while routers can be configured manually.
- Wide network of 5,000+ global servers
- High-speed connections for lag-free streaming
- Easily bypasses restrictions on major geo-locked platforms
- Specialty servers include P2P and Double VPN
- Offers 24/7 support via live chat and email
- No-logs policy means your data stays private
- Desktop app could use some refining
BEST VPN FOR A CHILEAN IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is our top choice. It combines fast server speeds with reliable unblocking of geo-restricted content. Specialty servers, a strict no-logs policy, and 24/7 support. The 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget-friendly VPN. It offers more than 3,000 servers across 100+ countries, including Chile. With particularly fast server speeds, it’s highly suitable for streaming and torrenting. It securely accesses many streaming services, including more than 30 different Netflix libraries. Surfshark also offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections with one account, meaning you’ll be able to use it with every device in your household.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption to secure all traffic. Additional security features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. There are even MultiHop servers that route internet traffic through two VPN servers for an extra layer of security. Surfshark is one of the easiest VPNs you can use thanks to the user-friendly apps, although support is available 24/7 via live chat and email.
Get a Chilean IP address for Surfshark’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN can also be manually configured to work with select routers.
- Fast servers allow for streaming in 1080p HD and even 4K
- Works with over 30 Netflix libraries
- Connect all of your devices at the same time
- MultiHop servers encrypt data twice for extra protection
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Connecting to a new server is sometimes slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark is a streaming-friendly VPN thanks to its fast servers and strong unblocking ability. No-logs service with MultiHop servers. Unlimited devices per account. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a fast, reliable VPN service that allows you to stream HD and even 4K video without lag or buffering. At the time of writing, it offers more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Chile. Thanks to its consistent accessing abilities, you can bypass geographic restrictions with ease and stream channels including Canal 13, TVN, Netflix, and Amazon Prime from anywhere in the world.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit encryption. Further security measures include an internet kill switch and protection against DNS leaks. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, such as IP addresses. Privacy advocates can pay via Bitcoin and sign up with burner email accounts for anonymity. Stuck and in need of help? Live chat and email support are available 24/7.
Secure up to five of your devices at once with NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox, while custom firmware is offered for use with wifi routers.
- Very fast download/streaming speeds
- Can securely access a variety of content, including Netflix libraries
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Live chat and email support, 24/7
- No identifying logs of users
- A little more expensive than other providers
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
SPEED & SECURITY:ExpressVPN has reliable servers in 94 countries including Chile. It’s fast, reliable, and offers comprehensive security and privacy protection. Excellent 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a VPN with servers in 90+ countries. Overall, you can connect to over 9,000 servers across 90+ countries, including a dozen servers in Chile. Offering unlimited bandwidth, it allows for streaming in high resolution without the performance issues of many lesser VPN services. With CyberGhost, you’ll have no trouble accessing Chilean websites and services while traveling abroad. It also works well with Netflix US.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, while there’s also DNS leak protection and an always-on internet kill switch. There’s even an ad blocker and a new password manager (currently in beta testing). CyberGhost operates a strict no-logs policy, ensuring your online anonymity. With the apps, you can secure as many as seven devices at once. 24/7 support is included.
You can connect to a CyberGhost server in Chile via the apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available. Use with routers requires manual setup.
- Unlimited bandwidth for seamless browsing and streaming
- Huge network of servers (9,000+), including a dozen in Chile
- Lets you stream Chilean TV abroad and works with Netflix US
- Can be used on up to seven devices at the same time
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
A DOZEN SERVERS IN CHILE:CyberGhost has a huge server network consisting of 9,000 servers in 90+ counties. Doesn’t throttle bandwidth and works with Netflix US. Strict no-logs policy and a password manager. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may have a smaller network of only around 200 servers, but these cover some 60+ countries, including Chile. Furthermore, this VPN is an excellent choice for unlocking content and works with many major streaming platforms. This includes Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. Its fast, unthrottled speeds allow for streaming in the highest quality without issues such as lag and buffering.
This provider secures user traffic with 256-bit AES encryption while an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection are also included. We particularly recommend this VPN for those who are looking to maintain their online anonymity. That’s because PrivateVPN operates a strict no-logs policy and lets you pay in Bitcoin. Live chat support is available, and email support is faster than most other VPNs tested.
You can use PrivateVPN on ten devices simultaneously with its apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). It’s also available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Manual setup is necessary to use it with Linux and routers.
- Faster than many other VPN providers
- Very strong unblocking ability
- Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- True no-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Smaller network of just 200 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
STREAM CHILEAN CONTENT:PrivateVPN is fast and is a consistent unlocker of content. Very easy to use, with strong security and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a VPN with servers covering dozens of countries around the globe. This, of course, includes Chile, so you can get an IP address for Chile and continue accessing all of your favorite websites and services. Our speed tests revealed average speeds of 68 Mbps — more than fast enough for streaming and torrenting. This VPN also lets you have up to 10 simultaneous connections.
This VPN also stands out for its high level of security which includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. Just as important, PIA operates a no-logs policy so that even it doesn’t know what you’re doing online. Paying subscribers to have full access to live chat and email support.
You’ll find Private Internet Access apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. While compatible with select routers, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Servers across dozens of countries, Chile included
- Consistent connections for non-stop streaming
- Secure up to 10 devices at once
- Operates a no-logs policy so you can stay anonymous
- Doesn’t work with some of the more popular streaming services
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
SOLID PRIVACY PROTECTION:Private Internet Access has a generous network of servers and respectable speeds. Use it on up to 10 devices at the same time. No-logs policy and encryption help keep you safe online. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN has over 1,000 servers in nearly 50 locations. Its servers in Chile let you get a local IP address to access all of your favorite Chilean websites and services and stream content from other countries. We tested this VPN for its speed, and with the use of WireGuard, it was more than enough for streaming videos or playing online games without hassle.
AtlasVPN offers a variety of security features, such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and even MultiHop servers and a malware blocker. It also has an intuitive user interface with helpful tutorials that make navigating the settings on any device easy. Atlas VPN doesn’t impose a connection limit, meaning you can enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections with a single account.
You can use Atlas VPN via its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer any support for routers.
- Fast and reliable speeds for streaming
- Connect all of your devices at the same time
- Works with many popular streaming services
- Includes MultiHop servers and a malware blocker
- No router support
- Smaller network than most VPNs on this list
NO DEVICE LIMIT:AtlasVPN includes WireGuard support, split tunneling, and apps for desktop and mobile. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free trial.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Finding the best VPNs for a Chilean IP address: methodology
It can be frustrating to travel abroad (outside Chile) only to find you can no longer access your usual online content from home. To help, we looked for certain key criteria in order to find the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Chile:
- Servers in Chile: To get an IP address for Chile, you need to connect to a VPN server in Chile. All of the VPNs listed in this post offer such servers. In fact, they all have servers covering dozens of countries worldwide. This allows you to access even more geo-restricted websites and services.
- Speed: While other VPNs offer servers in Chile, many are far too slow for streaming and torrenting. To find the fastest VPNs, we carried out speed tests on each. All our recommended VPNs offer consistent connections with unlimited bandwidth. As such, you can stream Chilean TV and international content without lag or buffering.
- Unblocking: Whether you want to watch TVN or change your Netflix region, a VPN should help you bypass geographic restrictions. Not all VPNs excel in this area, however. By testing each VPN we’ve recommended across a wide range of websites and services, we’ve been able to ensure they offer strong unblocking ability.
- Security: Connecting to a VPN server ensures your internet traffic is encrypted. You should also be protected from leaks with a kill switch. We looked for VPNs that offer even more than this, be it an ad blocker, automatic wifi protection, Double VPN servers, or password manager.
- Privacy: By looking at some 140 VPN logging policies, we were able to determine which VPNs protect your privacy (as well as which don’t!). A quality VPN won’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. We’ve also found some VPNs that also let you pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Ease of use: With so many VPNs available, it’s hard to know which are the most user-friendly unless you have the time (and money!) to try multiple options. With this in mind, we’ve tested different VPN apps ourselves, looking for those that make the experience easier with quality customer support.
- Value for money: While the best VPNs for getting a Chilean IP address all offer great value for money, you can save even more with the VPN discount coupons linked in this post. It’s worth remembering also that each VPN comes with a money-back guarantee, giving you a chance to try it risk-free.
Want to know more about how we test VPNs at Comparitech? Take a look at our VPN testing methodology post, which explains how we analyze a VPN’s speed, security, unblocking ability, and more.
Getting an IP address for Chile: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to obtain an IP address from Chile?
Free VPNs might seem pretty appealing — after all, there’s no upfront payment required or commitment to a long-term deal. Just create an account, and you’re ready to go. But the fact of the matter is that such services have lots of disadvantages compared to paid providers.
First up, free VPNs aren’t charities or nonprofits; the costs of running a software company can add up pretty quickly if you factor in things like salaries, server maintenance, and office space. As such, providers will try to monetize their user base somehow — expect intrusive advertisements or the possibility of data tracking. A 2016 study of free VPN apps on the Android app store revealed that over 38% of them contain some malware presence. Some free VPNs store your data to sell to third parties, and using them can result in permanent data loss and even financial extortion.
Other than security, the other obvious disadvantage of free VPNs is their limited speed and bandwidth. Said providers don’t offer hundreds of optimized servers and they’re almost always inundated with users. The end result is severe network congestion and data caps, making it a problematic endeavor to stream video seamlessly.
We maintain it’s in your best interests to choose a reputable VPN that prioritizes customer privacy and keeps you safe on the web.
Can I use a VPN to watch Chilean television online?
Most Chilean online streaming platforms operate with regional restrictions, meaning that their range of programming is available for those with a local IP address but is cut off as soon as you try to log in outside the country. However, once you download a VPN and switch your IP address to Chile, they’ll operate under the assumption that you’re physically in the country.
Local channels like Canal 13, TV+, TVN, ARTV, Mega, and more should work straight away. Some may ask you to provide a local number or address before they finish the registration process, so it’s a good idea to do that before you leave the country. If it still doesn’t work, just check with a customer support representative, as they usually have workarounds.
What’s the state of internet freedom in Chile?
Freedom of speech and expression is enshrined in Chile’s constitution, but some developments have cast a shadow on these rights.
In 2015, according to Freedom House, the country’s Supreme Court upheld the conviction of two journalists, sentenced to three years in prison for an article about a former member of congress. That was after a long legal struggle where the journalists argued that their conviction violated their freedom of expression rights.
Similarly, in 2017, the country’s legislature debated over the enactment of a new law that would require telecommunication companies to retain data on the electronic and mobile communication of everyone in the country. This included keeping records of things like location history and phone numbers for a total of two years. The law has since been rolled back, but it’s a reminder that civil liberties and freedom aren’t guaranteed by any yardstick.
What else can I do with a Chilean IP address?
VPNs can be used for a variety of reasons. Streaming content is definitely a popular option, but an IP address from Chile will help you access your online bank account safely from Banco de Chile, Banco Santander, and more. This comes into play when you’re traveling abroad and trying to access said accounts from another country — if you use a VPN to get a Chilean IP address, there’s no threat of fraud detection or compliance red flags. The bank’s security architecture will simply assume you’re still in Chile.
The encryption aspect of VPN services makes it a straightforward task to access public wifi. These wifi networks — typically found at airports, coffee shops, and malls — are typically unsecured and susceptible to hacking attempts. However, VPNs will keep all intrusive entities at an arm’s length and prevent them from eavesdropping on your internet traffic.
What other methods can I use to obtain an IP address from Chile?
VPNs are the quickest and most efficient method to get an IP address from Chile, but there are a couple of other ways to get one. However, we should add that these are clunky and time-consuming options and won’t give you the same performance that VPNs will.
The Tor browser is one such option. The initial intention of the Tor browser was to help individuals evade mass surveillance attempts by state authorities. It’s still free to use and is a favorite with journalists, human rights activists, and whistleblowers as they try to get their word across to the public.
However, its slow speeds mean Tor is a poor fit for trying to stream geo-restricted media or accessing online bank accounts. Plus, it has suffered from a reputational crisis in recent years after being used by cybercriminals to access the dark web, so you might want to stay away.
You can also use a free proxy server to obfuscate your location. But these have weak encryption standards and won’t evade sophisticated algorithms deployed by the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu.