Whether you’re aiming to unlock region-locked content on platforms like Bigscreen, indulge in region-restricted games such as Supernatural while abroad, or ensure online privacy in restrictive countries, a VPN for Quest will vastly improve your virtual reality experience. This guide will explain exactly how to set up a VPN on Meta Quest, even if you’re a beginner.
Functioning as an online privacy tool, a VPN encrypts your data and offers the ability to virtually reside in a different country. This not only enables access to region-specific content but also circumvents calling restrictions, facilitating VoIP calls on your headset even in countries with stringent regulations like the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
A Quest VPN serves as a key to unlocking censored websites and games. For instance, you can access blocked gambling games like Las Vegas Infinite (Poker Stars VR) in US states or countries where they are blocked. A VPN even grants access to adult websites and services in locations where they are restricted.
The encryption provided by the VPN ensures complete privacy, shielding your activities from detection by hotel Wi-Fi networks, ISPs, and government agencies.
How to set up a VPN on Oculus Quest 2 & 3
There are various ways to set up a VPN on a Quest. At its core, a Meta Quest (Oculus Quest) headset is a modified Android device. You can install Android apps (.apk files) on your Quest.
The only caveat is that the official Quest store lacks many of the apps you will find on Google Play. As you might have noticed, VPN apps are missing from the Quest app store. You can still install a VPN app (and any other Android apps that take your fancy) by sideloading them.
To start, here is a guide on how to get a VPN for your Quest:
- Pick one of the best VPNs for Oculus Quest. We recommend NordVPN because it is fast, secure, and reliable. NordVPN has an excellent network of servers in 59+ countries, including the US to play Supernatural, Vegas Infinite, and any region-locked Quest apps and services. Alternatively, you can try Surfshark, which is highly reliable and cheap. Or ExpressVPN, which is a fantastic all-rounder that works with Quest 2 & 3.
- Follow the link to get a VPN subscription for your Quest. Our link will apply a coupon code that gets you the VPN subscription at the lowest possible cost.
- Log in to the member’s area of the website and download the VPN application onto your desktop PC or laptop. You can then share your VPN connection with your Quest using a hotspot (full guide below). To install the VPN directly on your Quest, you will need to sideload the Android app using SideQuest (full guide below).
- Once the VPN is installed log in using your credentials from the sign-up phase.
- Locate a server in the US in the server list and click “Connect”. As soon as the VPN connects, you will appear to be in America, which means you can use Supernatural, US Netflix, US-only Bigscreen channels, and any other region-locked services.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK-FREE?
How to install a VPN on Quest 2 & 3
There are three different ways to use a VPN on a Meta Quest headset:
- Load the Android VPN app (APK) onto your Quest using SideQuest and establish a direct connection to the VPN within your headset.
- Create a virtual hotspot on a computer hosting the VPN connection and link your Quest to this safeguarded VPN hotspot.
- Configure your VPN on a compatible router and link your Quest to the Wi-Fi.
Each of these approaches comes with unique benefits. In the following sections, we’ll guide you through the implementation of each method.
Connect to the VPN using a VPN-protected virtual hotspot
This is by far the easiest way to use a VPN with your Quest headset. It requires only minimal setup and will get you up and running in just a few minutes. However, in order to employ this method you will need a Windows or Mac computer.
If you have a fairly recent computer, the wifi card should allow you to set up a wi-fi hotspot. You can install and run the VPN on your computer and then share that connection with your Quest via the hotspot.
Below, we give you a brief outline of how to set up a VPN-protected wi-fi hotspot on a laptop. Check out our in-depth guides for Windows and Mac to get a full walkthrough on how to set up a VPN-protected virtual hotspot for your Quest.
- Subscribe to one of the VPNs for Quest recommended in this guide.
- Download the VPN app for Windows or Mac depending on your computer.
- Install the VPN and log in using your credentials.
- Choose a VPN server in the US and click Connect.
- Open network and sharing (Windows) or Internet Sharing (Mac) and set up a Mobile hotspot.
- Connect to the VPN-protected WiFi hotspot in your Quest headset.
By following the steps above, your Quest connects to the VPN via the hotspot on your computer. A benefit of this setup si that you can quickly and easily change the VPN server location.
Load a VPN app directly to your Quest
Unfortunately, it is not possible to download VPN apps directly from the official Quest store. You have to sideload the VPN application from a computer. Quest has special software called SideQuest that makes this process extremely easy.
Using SideQuest will allow you to install NordVPN directly onto your device. This will give you full control over the VPN and its features – including being able to switch server locations – from within your headset. Of course, the drawback is that the VPN will take up some space on your headset and will use up some of your device’s processing power and memory.
Use the steps below to install the Android APK from your VPN onto your Quest 3, 2, or Pro.
Here is how to sideload a VPN into your Quest:
- Install SideQuest on your computer.
- Obtain the APK file (Android file) for your VPN from Google Play. You can achieve this through a dedicated website or browser extension. Take note of the APK file’s location on your hard drive.
- Connect your Oculus Quest to your PC using a USB-C cable.
- Launch SideQuest and select “Install APK file from folder.”
- Locate the APK file on your hard drive and authorize SideQuest to install it on your Quest 2 or Quest 3 headset.
- Once SideQuest completes sideloading your VPN onto your headset, disconnect it from the USB cable, check it is powered up, and put it on.
- Navigate to your library of apps, click All in the top right, and scroll down to Unknown sources. Now locate your VPN, and launch it.
- You can now use the VPN on your headset just as you would on an Android smartphone or tablet.
Please note that some people are having trouble logging into NordVPN when they sideload it directly to their Quest. This is because the login phase forces the Quest browser to open, and when you complete the login the app remains logged out. For this reason, anybody wishing to use a VPN directly on their Quest browser is advised to opt for ExpressVPN.
Can I install a VPN directly to my Quest without a computer?
Yes. You can use your browser to install SideQuest and an APK installer directly to your Quest. This will allow you to install a VPN directly to your Quest without needing to connect it to a third-party computer. Below is a guide that explains how:
- Download APK installer on your Quest.
- Download the Android VPN app directly from your VPN provider’s website. ExpressVPN lets you download the APK directly from its site, which makes it easy to get it onto your Quest without the need for any third-party apps.
- Once the download has completed, press the main quest power button twice to briefly switch it to standby mode. This will remove the progress bar that sometimes appears on the screen when installing unknown apps.
- Now head to your Apps screen click All in the top right and scroll down to Unknown Sources. Use the APK installer to locate and install the VPN application’s APK file.
- Thats it! Your VPN will now be available in the Unknown Sources menu of apps any time you want to run it.
If you prefer to protect every device in your home with a VPN, you configure a VPN connection on your router. Not all router models are compatible with VPNs, so search yours online to see if it’s compatible. If not, check to see if you can replace the router’s firmware with something that is, such as DD-WRT or Tomato.
This manual setup will require you to fill in various forms in the router admin panel and install the config file for the server you want to use. This config file can be downloaded from the members’ area of your VPN provider’s website
Flashing a router with new firmware is not particularly difficult, but it does carry some risks. Removing the manufacturer’s firmware usually invalidates the warranty, so if the router is fairly new you may prefer not to do it. In addition, if you make a mistake or go wrong, you could ‘brick’ the router, which renders it unusable.
If this process sounds too sketchy, you can opt to purchase a pre-configured VPN router from FlashRouters. This will come ready to connect to your chosen provider, which vastly simplifies the process of sharing a VPN connection from a router to a Quest.
You can find out more about sharing a VPN connection from a router in our router VPN guide. We list the basic steps below:
- Download the OpenVPN config files from your VPN provider’s website, and make a note of where you save the file on your device.
- Login to your router’s admin panel. To do this, open your browser and type the IP address for your router (usually found in the router’s manual or on the device itself). Common default IP addresses include 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but it may vary depending on your router model.
- If you have not changed it, your router probably still uses the manufacturer’s default login credentials. Check routerpasswords.com to find the default credentials. Once inside your admin’s router panel, we recommend that you update your password to make it more secure.
- After logging into your router, locate the VPN settings. The exact location varies from router to router.
- Select Add Profile in your router’s VPN settings
- Select the OpenVPN option and fill in the necessary details. You will need your username, password, and possibly a shared secret.
- Find and install the OpenVPN config file that you downloaded in step #1.
- In your router’s VPN menu, you should now be able to connect to the VPN.
The guide above is a general overview. The exact process varies depending on your router model and the type of firmware you have installed. The good news is that VPN providers have detailed setup guides for routers, so check with your provider’s website or contact live chat support for a specific guide that explains the setup process in detail.
How to setup a VPN on Oculus Quest: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN for Quest?
A few trustworthy free VPNs are available, but they may not be suitable for use with a Quest headset. Free plans from reputable VPNs are promotional, offering limited access to their services. Consequently, the servers on free plans are often too slow for streaming and gaming, and they are intentionally restricted from accessing platforms like Netflix. To unlock regional services such as Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, and YouTube TV on a Quest, opting for a paid VPN subscription is necessary.
Beyond these performance issues, free VPNs often lack encryption, have lax privacy policies, and are vulnerable to server and app vulnerabilities. They sell your data to marketing companies and data brokers, and they have inadequate protection against ISP tracking due to DNS leaks.
Given the severe problems associated with most free VPNs, it is crucial to avoid the majority if you wish to mitigate security risks. Most of the free VPNs on platforms like Google Play expose you to potential data theft and tracking. We strongly advise sticking to recommended VPN providers with proven privacy and security credentials. The best VPNs for Quest are all highly secure and offer a money-back guarantee that lets you trial the complete, unrestricted VPN service for 30 days.
Can I use a VPN to play Vegas Infinite?
Yes. Vegas Infinite (formerly known as Poker Stars VR) is blocked in some US states and countries around the world. Gambling for play money is prohibited in those regions in an effort to curb gambling addiction and protect minors from exposure to gambling-style games.
If you travel on vacation or cross-state lines, then you may not be able to log in and play poker on Vegas Infinite. You can use a VPN to regain access to Vegas Infinite from anywhere. To do so, simply connect to a server in the US, the UK, or anywhere else where the game is available without restrictions.
Can I watch more movies on Bigscreen with a VPN?
Yes. Many of the channels and movies that are available on Bigscreen are region-locked to the US and Canada. If you live in the UK, Europe, or elsewhere, then you may not be able to stream some of the free and paid content available on Bigscreen.
To get around these restrictions, you can connect your Quest to a server in the US. This will allow you to rent a wider catalog of 3D movies, and gain access to all the free US-only channels and apps available to Quest users in the US.
Can I play Supernatural on vacation with a VPN?
Yes. If you want to play the region-locked Quest fitness game Supernatural on vacation, you can do so by connecting to a VPN server in the US. This will unblock the game while abroad, allowing you to play Supernatural from anywhere.