School wifi networks are often restricted and, unfortunately, these restrictions often extend to online games. This can be frustrating, particularly if you just want to play your favorite games during lunch break or after hours. Of course, this is to ensure students are paying attention in school. It may also be to save on bandwidth as speeds would become too slow if everyone played online games! The good news is that it’s possible to unblock games on a school network by using a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) changes your IP address so that your school’s wifi network can no longer see what you’re doing online and can’t block you as a result. Better still, a VPN can do more than just help you unblock games. It encrypts your internet traffic, securing your data not only from snoopers at school but even hackers. You’ll also benefit from unlimited bandwidth, allowing you to game as much as you like without having to contend with lag due to throttling.
Don’t have time to read the full reviews? Here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for unblocking games on a school computer to save you some time:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for unblocking games on a school computer. 5,000+ servers, fast speeds, and P2P servers. 24/7 support and a strict no-logs policy. Also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Unblock games and play lag-free thanks to high-speed connections. Connect all of your devices at once.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 counties including the US. No bandwidth throttling for non-stop gaming. Encrypts your data, securing it from hackers.
- CyberGhost: Largest network of servers (some 8,000). Particularly fast speeds for playing games at school. No-logs policy and up to seven connections.
- IPVanish: Improved speed for gaming without lag or buffering. Lets you connect all of your devices at the same time. High levels of encryption.
- PrivateVPN: Strong unblocking (access online games and streaming platforms). Good speeds and protects privacy with a no-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Fast and reliably accesses games and even works with Netflix. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Provides MultiHop servers.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for unblocking games with no restrictions for a month—perfect if you need time to test it with your favorite games.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to unblock games on a school computer with a VPN
First time using a VPN? Using one to unblock games is actually very quick and easy. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions provided below and you’ll be gaming in a matter of minutes:
Here’s how to unblock games on a school computer using a VPN:
- First, you’ll need to sign up with a trusted VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN for unblocking games.
- Now you can download the VPN’s app on your device. All of the VPNs listed further below offer apps for desktop and mobile apps.
- Install and then log in to the app. You can now connect to a server to change your IP address. The closer the server to your location, the faster the connection should be (important for gaming!).
- You should now be able to access your favorite online games without restriction!
- If you still face issues unblocking games on a school computer, we recommend clearing your browser cookies. If problems persist, contact customer support.
Best VPNs for unblocking games on a school computer
You may be wondering how we chose the VPNs listed in this post. While many VPNs are capable of unblocking games, we found the very best all met the following key criteria:
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free gaming
- Unblocks a wide range of online games
- High level of security with military-grade encryption
- Protects your privacy with a no-logs policy
- Customer support via live chat and email
- Allows at least five simultaneous connections
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for unblocking games on a school computer:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a VPN that’s strong in all areas. This starts with its impressive network of over 5,000 servers. You can find these in 60 countries, which makes it that much easier to find a fast server close to your location. Speaking of speed, this is also one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested. With its proprietary NordLynx protocol built around WireGuard, you’ll experience online gaming free from lag and buffering.
With NordVPN, you’ll be able to unblock games and even bypass bans with ease. Its powerful unblocking ability also navigates the restrictions of streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video. This no-logs service provides 24/7 support. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch. For even greater security, Double VPN servers encrypt your data twice.
Connect up to six devices all at once with NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. There’s also the option of Chrome and Firefox browser extensions, although manual setup is necessary to use NordVPN with wifi routers.
- Consistent unblocking of online games and streaming services
- Network is made up of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- Very fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free gaming
- Provides specialty P2P and Onion Over VPN servers
- Live chat and email support available 24 hours a day
- Operates a no-logs policy to protect your privacy
- Victim of a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR UNBLOCKING GAMES:NordVPN is our top choice for unblocking games on a school computer. It has 5,000+ servers while fast speeds allow for lag-free gaming. Specialty servers including P2P and Onion Over VPN. No-logs service with 24/7 support. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark continues to add to its server network which now stands at over 3,000 servers (in 65 countries). A constantly growing number of IP addresses allows you to unblock games on a school computer and even watch your favorite streaming services while on vacation. This includes Netflix and Disney+. Averaging 324 Mbps in our tests, Surfshark’s highly suitable not only for gaming online, but for streaming and torrenting.
Once signed up with Surfshark, you’ll be able to secure all of your devices at once. Should you need extra security, you can always connect to one of the Double VPN servers for an extra layer of encryption. There’s also 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Surfshark operates a no-logs policy ensuring that none of your browsing data can be seen by anyone but you. If you need help, 24/7 support is included.
You can use Surfshark on desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) as well as mobile (Android and iOS). Further options include apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. It can be manually configured with select routers.
- Access your favorite games as well as Netflix
- High-speed connections for low ping gaming
- Secure all of your devices at the same time
- MultiHop servers for an extra layer of encryption
- Customer support 24 hours a day (via live chat and email)
- Switching servers is sometimes slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark now has more than 3,000 servers and lets you connect all of your devices at once. Speeds are more than fast enough for online gaming and it also securely accesses Netflix. MultiHop servers available. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has long been one of the top VPN providers on the market. One of its biggest selling points is the fact that its 3,000+ servers are located across 94 countries. As such, this is a great choice for unblocking a wide range of content, be it an online game or streaming platform. You shouldn’t have to worry about low resolution or lag while gaming because ExpressVPN not only has high-speed servers but unlimited bandwidth to boot.
While ExpressVPN has beginner-friendly apps that are unlikely to pose problems, live chat and email support are offered around the clock. All of your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption when you connect to a server. A kill switch and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection are included as well. With ExpressVPN’s split tunnelling feature, you can even choose which apps use the VPN connection. Last, but not least, no identifying logs are stored by ExpressVPN.
Secure up to five of your devices simultaneously with ExpressVPN’s Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux apps. You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available, as is custom firmware for routers.
- Servers in 94 countries for unblocking games worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth makes it ideal for gaming and streaming
- Secures data with the highest level of encryption
- 22/7 customer support via live chat and email
- Excellent apps make it quick and easy for beginners
- Slightly more expensive than some of its rivals
- Streaming servers are not labeled
SERVERS IN 94 COUNTRIES:ExpressVPN has servers in more countries than any other VPN covered (94). Unblock games and play lag-free with unlimited bandwidth. High-end encryption and quality support available 24 hours a day. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost comes out on top when it comes to sheer quantity of servers. Indeed, there are over 8,000 in 90+ countries in all. Whatever your location, you’ll be able to find fast connections for lag-free gaming on school networks. Of all the VPNs we’ve tested for speed, CyberGhost is the fastest with an average download speed of 548 Mbps. This is in part thanks to its implementation of the WireGuard protocol.
This highly secure service protects you from hackers and snoopers alike. It starts with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak prevention. CyberGhost bundles a number of extras that most VPNs don’t offer. For example, it introduced a Windows security suite, which includes antivirus. You’re also protected with a strict no-logs policy.
Connect up to seven devices at the same time. CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for the following: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. It can also be configured with select compatible wifi routers, and browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox.
- Vast network of servers (roughly 8,000 in over 90 countries)
- Fastest speeds tested — highly suitable for online gaming
- Connect up to seven of your devices at the same time
- Security Suite for Windows which includes an antivirus
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
- Few advanced features for power users
FASTEST CONNECTIONS:CyberGhost has the fastest speeds tested. Ideal for online gaming and streaming (works with Netflix US). Vast network of roughly 8,000 servers in over 90 countries. Can be used on seven devices simultaneously. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has upgraded its protocol to WireGuard and, as a result, now offers faster speeds than ever. This means it’s more than fast enough for online gaming while its unlimited bandwidth means there’s no restriction on how much you can play. IPVanish has more than 2,000 servers and 40,000 IP addresses. With this network, you can unblock a wide range of games and even stream Netflix US from overseas.
This is one of very few VPNs that allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. As such, it’s a great choice for sharing with family and friends. With IPVanish, you’re protected from security threats including DDoS attacks. Security includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, no-logs policy, and a kill switch.
Download IPVanish for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can manually configure IPVanish to work with Linux as well as compatible wireless routers.
- Fast server speeds for gaming with low ping
- Unblocks a wide range of games as well as Netflix US
- Connect all of your devices at once via a single account
- Security includes high-end encryption and a kill switch
- Headquartered in the US which is a member of Five Eyes
- No anonymous payment options such as Bitcoin
IMPROVED SPEED:IPVanish has upgraded to WireGuard for even faster speeds (ideal for online gaming!). Securely access Netflix US while on vacation. Connect all of your devices at once. Military-grade encryption protects you from hackers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider known for its fast and consistent connections (ideal for playing games online). While it only has a little over 200 servers in total, these are located in dozens of countries. One of PrivateVPN’s main advantages is its strong unblocking ability. It even works with streaming services such as HBO Max and Disney+.
You don’t need to worry about your school’s network administrator seeing you’re playing games. That’s because all of your internet traffic is routed through PrivateVPN’s 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. Aside from DNS leak protection and a kill switch, there’s a strict no-logs policy that means not even PrivateVPN can see what you’re doing online. Live chat and email support are available, as is free remote help and installation.
A PrivateVPN subscription lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. It can be manually configured to work with select routers.
- Strong unblocking — works with Fortnite, Rocket League, and more
- Fast and unthrottled speeds so you don’t need to worry about lag
- Email support is particularly fast to reply (also live chat support)
- Sign up with a burner email and pay anonymously in Bitcoin
- Smaller network of servers (roughly 200 in total)
- No browser extensions available
- Support isn’t 24/7
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is fast, consistently unblocks games, and bypasses bans. User-friendly apps that are quick and easy to navigate. Includes live chat support. Stay anonymous thanks to encryption and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is highly reliable when it comes to navigating restrictions. This includes unblocking games or even bypassing Fortnite, Rocket League, or Twitch chat bans. Although it has a smaller network of approximately 700 servers, Atlas VPN provides plenty of locations (40+ and counting). Better still, its fast speeds (it averaged 247 Mbps in our latest tests) make it highly suited to online gaming, which requires consistent, lag-free connections.
You’ll find that Atlas VPN offers plenty of security features to keep you safe from hackers. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, you’ll find MultiHop servers and an ad, malware, and tracker blocker. No identifying logs are kept of users and you’ll be able to secure as many devices as you like at once under a single account. Premium users have the advantage of 24-hour access to live chat support.
AtlasVPN apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. However, there aren’t any browser extensions as yet, nor is there support for Linux or routers.
- Works with the likes of Twitch and streaming platforms such as Netflix
- Fast server speeds so you can game and stream stress-free
- Lots of security features including MultiHop servers
- Relatively small network of just 700 servers
- No Linux or router support
STRONG UNBLOCKING:Atlas VPN bypasses school internet restrictions, be it with games or streaming services such as Netflix. Provides fast, consistent connections and allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Includes an ad blocker. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for unblocking games on a school computer
It’s understandably frustrating if you can’t play your favorite online games, particularly if you’re trying to do so during lunch break or recess. While there are a lot of VPNs both free and paid, not all are up to the task of unblocking games on a school computer.
We found the best VPNs by looking for those that offer the following:
- Servers worldwide: Free VPNs typically only offer servers in a handful of locations at best. In contrast, the VPNs we’ve listed have, for the most part, thousands of servers on offer. These servers are spread across dozens of countries. This makes it easier to unblock games as well as find a fast server near your location.
- Speed: It’s little good if a VPN unblocks games on a school computer only to offer insufficient speed for playing. Indeed, school wifi networks are known to be slow with a lack of bandwidth available. The good news is that our speed tests helped us identify the fastest VPNs, which have unlimited bandwidth for lag-free gaming.
- Unblocking: Aside from being able to unblock games, we also expect VPNs to bypass the restrictions of streaming services such as HBO Max as well as social media platforms like Twitter. We found that many VPNs struggled in this area, making it that much easier for us to omit them from this list.
- Security: Online gaming does carry some security risks including swatting and doxxing. However, a VPN protects you from this by encrypting your data and replacing your IP address with that of the VPN server. We look for VPNs to provide 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS leak protection and a kill switch. That way, you can play online without worry.
- Privacy: Did you know that your school can see what you’re doing online? A VPN protects your privacy by encrypting your internet traffic (this is how you can bypass the blocks imposed on school computers). We studied 140 VPN logging policies in order to find those that allow you to stay anonymous online.
- Ease of use: Not everyone has experience of using VPNs. Unfortunately, not every VPN provides a beginner-friendly experience. That’s why we test each VPN’s apps ourselves. The VPNs listed above all have excellent apps that are quick and easy to navigate. What’s more, all of them offer live chat and email support.
- Value for money: A VPN needn’t be expensive. Indeed, many VPNs regularly run special deals so you can save on the price of a subscription. With the VPN discount coupons included in this post, you can get an even better deal. Furthermore, each VPN comes with a risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days.
We have a VPN testing methodology that involves analyzing each VPN’s speed, security, ease of use, and more. That way, we can find VPNs that are truly capable not only of unblocking games on a school computer, but allowing you to play lag-free and with complete security.
VPNs for unblocking games: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to unblock games on a school computer?
Free VPNs tend to have fewer servers. The limited number of IP addresses quickly become blacklisted, preventing you from unblocking games. In contrast, quality VPNs have thousands of servers and even more IP addresses. This makes it that much easier to bypass blocks. Furthermore, free VPNs are slow and throttle your bandwidth. If you want to be able to play online without excessive lag, free VPNs are best avoided.
Another area of concern with free VPNs is the lack of security. Some may not properly encrypt your data or even leak some information. A VPN with strong security will include military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch. Anonymous browsing and gaming on school networks requires that the VPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. However, some free VPNs are known to keep logs that might be compromised or even sold to third parties.
Is it legal to use a VPN to unblock games on a school computer?
While some online activities (such as torrenting copyrighted material) are illegal, using a VPN is legal, as is using one to unblock games. However, if your school has blocked games, it likely goes against the school’s rules to use a VPN to access them. This could result in disciplinary action. As such, it’s important to consider the potential consequences beforehand and exercise caution if you do decide to use a VPN to unblock games.