Meta’s Quest VR headsets allow users to play games, socialize, and watch TV and movies in virtual environments. Due to licensing restrictions, however, you will find that some content is unavailable outside of the US. You need a VPN to get the most out of your Meta Quest headset.
A VPN allows you to conceal your home IP address. By connecting to a server in a remote location, you trick VR games and apps into believing you are located in a different country. You can use this ‘location spoofing’ to access additional movies and channels on Big Screen, for example.
Using a VPN to get an IP address in the US lets you stream exclusive shows and movies on Netflix via the custom Quest Netflix app. You can stream all your favorite shows while on vacation or traveling for work. A VPN can also let you play the fitness game Supernatural from outside of the US.
Best of all, a VPN gives you online privacy whenever you use the Quest browser. Local WiFi networks, ISPs, government agencies, and websites can no longer track your web visits; which vastly improves your privacy on the Meta Quest. You can even use a VPN to switch regions and take advantage of price differences on the Quest store.
In this article, we will explain how to set up a VPN with your Quest 2 or Quest 3 headset. We recommend the best VPNs for Quest so you can get back to having fun on your Quest headset. If you’re in a rush, here’s a summary:
The best Quest VPNs:
- NordVPN: Our top choice VPN for Quest users. Blazing-fast speeds, robust security features, and exceptional unblocking capabilities make it the perfect choice for streaming Netflix and lag-free gaming on your Quest. All subscription plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget-friendly VPN for Quest. A dependable VPN that prioritizes privacy and offers excellent speeds for gaming and HD streaming. Works with Bigscreen, Netflix, Prime Video, and any other platforms you want to access on Quest. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN: A High-performance VPN ideal for everyday Quest use. Play Supernatural or access US content on the Netflix app. Includes a Smart DNS service that lets you stream US services more easily. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost VPN: A low-cost VPN for Quest that is easy to use. Fast speeds and apps for all platforms to easily share a VPN connection from Windows or Mac to a Quest headset. Access geo-restricted content on Bigscreen, Netflix, and other streaming services. Great speeds for gaming and has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- AtlasVPN: Makes it easy to access region-locked Quest apps, games, and services from abroad. Packed with security features and consistently delivers high speeds. Works with Netflix, Bigscreen, Prime Video, and other streaming services on the Quest. 30-day money-back guarantee to test it yourself.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK-FREE?
Our criteria for the best VPNs for Quest 2 and 3
Comparing VPNs can give you a serious headache. VPNs often make wild claims, and it can be hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. To make your life easier, we compared secure VPNs with fast protocols and servers suitable for unblocking additional apps, games, and services on your Quest 2 or Quest 3 headset.
Below, we have included some of the criteria we used to pick the best VPNs for Oculus Quest:
- Fast speeds suitable for seamless streaming and gaming on the Quest.
- Extensive server network that gets you an IP address almost anywhere.
- Consistently unblocks popular geo-restricted services like Netflix, Supernatural, Bigscreen, and Amazon Prime Video on a Quest.
- Prioritizes your security with robust encryption and other protective features.
- Implements a strict no-logs policy and robust encryption to safeguard your personal information and prevent tracking
- Can be installed on routers, laptops, and desktop computers
We will provide additional information about how we assess and rank Quest VPNs later in this guide. For now, you can use the detailed summaries below to learn more about each of the best VPNs for Oculus Quest 3 (and 2).
Best VPNs for Oculus Quest
Here’s our list of the best Oculus Quest VPNs:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is by far our favorite VPN for Quest 2 and Quest 3 headsets. It is ideal for gamers due to its exceptional speed. Its US servers work to access Netflix, additional channels and 3D movies on Bigscreen, and region-locked games such as Supernatural.
NordVPN has an extensive network of over 5,500 servers spread across 60 countries. You can use it to access different Netflix regions and international TV services like BBC iPlayer or to purchase Quest games and apps in a different region.
You can use NordVPN with a Meta Quest headset by setting up a VPN-protected virtual hotspot using a Windows or Mac computer. This makes it extremely easy to enjoy a NordVPN connection on your Quest and reduces the strain on the Quest headset by running the VPN on a computer instead.
Please note that some users encounter difficulties logging into NordVPN when sideloading it onto their Quest. This issue arises during the login phase. For this reason, individuals looking to use a VPN directly on their Quest are advised to use ExpressVPN, which works without issues when installed directly on the headset.
NordVPN has a no-logs policy, so it never tracks anything that you do online. It runs on a proprietary network of diskless servers that can be erased remotely, and it has completed a full third-party security audit of its policies, apps, and network.
The apps come packed with useful privacy features, including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection, Double VPN, split tunneling, and a CyberSec feature that blocks ads and malware.
NordVPN provides comprehensive router installation guides to let you connect your Quest to the VPN via your router. Nord lets you use VoIP on your headset in countries where voice chat is blocked and allows you to bypass restrictions to use censored websites, including adult VR websites.
Live chat support is available 24/7. Try the VPN on your Quest with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fastest VPN for lag-free gaming on Quest 2 & 3
- Operates over 5,500 servers in 60+ countries
- Works with Netflix, Bigscreen, Supernatural, and more
- Strong AES encryption, no logs policy, and diskless servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Takes a few seconds to connect to its servers
BEST VPN FOR QUEST:NordVPN is the best VPN for Quest users thanks to its fast speeds and excellent US servers. Extremely secure, speedy, and versatile. Works with popular Quest apps and games. Provides secure access to Netflix US on the native Quest app. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee to test it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark VPN is a fantastic option for anybody who wants to gain access to additional apps and services on their Quest. The VPN starts at just $2 per month, which makes it the best budget VPN for Quest 2 and 3. In our tests, the VPN had lightning-fast connection speeds of 324 Mbps. This makes it perfect for streaming 3D movies on Bigscreen or getting a workout on Supernatural while on vacation.
With a vast network of over 3,200 servers spanning 100 countries, Surfshark works to stream more than a dozen Netflix regions, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer from anywhere.
If you prefer not to set up the VPN on your router, you can sideload it directly to your headset using SideQuest. Alternatively, set up a Windows or Mac computer as a VPN-protected virtual hotspot and connect your Quest to that.
Surfshark VPN imposes no limits on the number of connections, allowing you to easily share your VPN with friends and family. It has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android/Quest, Firestick, and Linux.
From a security standpoint, Surfshark boasts 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection, obfuscation, and a CleanWeb mode that automatically blocks ads and trackers. Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy and runs on diskless servers that can be erased remotely.
Live chat support is available 24/7 on its website. You can test Surfshark thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fast WireGuard protocol is perfect for streaming and gaming on Quest 2 & 3
- Works with the Netflix Quest app
- Strong security and privacy features
- Allows unlimited connections
- No logs policy
- Smart DNS works to access US services only (and cannot be set up directly on a Quest headset so you will need to connect to it with your router)
BEST BUDGET QUEST VPN:Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that offers fast speeds and servers in 100+ countries. Works to access cheaper versions of the Quest game store. Watch US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, and many other streaming platforms. Lets you watch US-restricted Bigscreen movies. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a provider based in the British Virgin Islands that offers strong privacy and security for your Quest. You can install it directly onto your Quest using SideQuest or set up a virtual hotspot on a laptop or desktop computer. Alternatively, ExpressVPN has custom router firmware. This makes it easy to install the VPN onto a compatible router to protect all the devices in your home automatically, including your Quest headset.
ExpressVPN has more than 3000 servers spanning 94 countries. These include US servers that work to watch Netflix, Prime Video, Peacock, HBO Max, Hulu, YouTube TV, or any other platform that you’d like to stream in your Quest headset.
The VPN is lightning-fast thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol. Get a workout on Supernatural while outside of the US. Stream region-locked sports, TV shows, and movies with your headset. In our tests, ExpressVPN worked to access TV broadcasts from many different countries, and it enabled us to rent US-exclusive movies on Bigscreen from the UK.
If you live in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, or any other country that imposes VoIP blocks, you can use ExpressVPN to make calls or enable in-game voice chat. Strong 256-bit AES encryption prevents ISPs from tracking you. Express can bypass censorship in countries that block popular adult VR websites. A strict no-logs policy ensures the VPN retains no records of the servers you use or the websites you visit.
Apps are available for Windows Mac, iOS, and Android/Quest. They include a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and split tunneling. Its 24/7 live chat lets you ask questions and get help at any time of day. The biggest caveat is that it’s a touch expensive, and lacks some features compared to our top picks. Take it for a test run using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Has custom firmware for routers
- Works to stream US Netflix on Quest 2 and 3
- Superfast Lightway protocol and Tier 1 servers for gaming
- No logs policy, diskless servers, and a fully audited service
- 24/7 customer support
- Slightly higher price than our other recommendations
- Fewer advanced features considering the price
EASIEST TO SET UP ON ROUTERS:ExpressVPN works with Quest headsets via an app or wi-fi router. Servers in 94 countries are perfect for streaming, gaming, and making VoIP calls. No logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full ExpressVPN review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is well worth considering if you are new to VPNs. The VPN keeps things simple. It has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. You can sideload it directly onto your Quest headset.
We recommend installing CyberGhost on a Windows or Mac computer and switching on a virtual hotspot. You can connect your Oculus Quest to the hotspot and use the VPN to get an IP address that can access more movies on Bigscreen or region-locked games like Supernatural.
CyberGhost VPN has more than 9,000 high-speed servers in 100+ countries. These include a choice of US servers that work to stream popular services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Peacock from abroad. The servers are fast and can even help you bypass bandwidth throttling that prevents you from playing multiplayer games like Population One.
CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections, and your router counts as just one. Security consists of strong encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection. It also blocks ads, malware, and trackers.
A no-logs VPN ensures that CyberGhost keeps no personally identifiable data. Your online activities remain completely anonymous. Live chat support staff is available 24/7. Try CyberGhost yourself using its generous 45-day money-back.
- Fantastic Smart DNS feature
- Quick and reliable connections
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- Dedicated gaming servers
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Could offer more control over advanced functionality
- Doesn’t work in China
BEST QUEST VPN FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost VPN offers fast speeds and servers in 100+ countries. It works to stream international streaming platforms, including Netflix US. You can connect to CyberGhost to access more movies on Bigscreen and bypass VoIP blocks. Access adult websites in countries where they are blocked. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our complete review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, and its fast speeds are great for Quest users.
The VPN only has servers in 44+ countries, which is relatively few compared to competitors like Surfshark. If your main requirement is servers in the US, Europe, and the UK, however, AtlasVPN is well worth considering.
In our tests, AtlasVPN was able to access Netflix US, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Peacock, YouTube TV, ESPN+, BBC iPlayer, and many other services from around the world. You can sideload the Android app directly onto your Quest. You can also connect to this VPN by making a virtual hotspot on a Windows PC or Mac. However, there is no router compatibility at the moment.
Considering the affordable price point, AtlasVPN has plenty of useful features. The apps come with solid encryption, DNS leak protection, ad and tracker blocking, split tunneling, multi-hop servers, and a no-logs policy.
- Ideal for streaming and gaming on Quest 2 and 3
- Works well with Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, Peacock, and others
- Strong security and privacy features
- Live chat support for subscribers
- Fast WireGuard protocol by default
- Based in the US
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:AtlasVPN offers everything you need to stream US services on a Quest headset. It provides unlimited bandwidth, fast speeds, and the ability to watch Netflix. Apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Comes with strong encryption, a no-logs policy, ad blocking, rotating IPs, and multi-hop connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, read our full AtlasVPN review.
Methodology: How we chose the best Quest VPNs
When it comes to choosing a VPN for your Meta Quest 3, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind. To ensure a seamless gaming experience, you’ll want high-speed servers and connections with no latency.
Although the Meta Quest doesn’t support direct app installations, you can sideload APK apps using SideQuest. The advantage of this is that you don’t necessarily have to connect to the VPN on your router, or by setting up a VPN-protected virtual hotspot.
To pick our favorite Quest VPNs, we test for leaks, look under the hood at the encryption implementation, check the privacy policies, and look for VPNs that offer the best feature set at the lowest possible cost. You can find out more about how we test and recommend VPNs in our methodology guide.
Here are some of the main features that were required to make it onto our list of the best Meta Quest VPNs:
- Outstanding performance: A VPN should enhance your gameplay. We rigorously tested the market to find fast VPNs that can bypass bandwidth throttling and let you play Quest games without causing ping issues. These VPNs offer fast WireGuard connections, which makes them good for streaming Netflix in HD and watching 3D movies on Bigscreen.
- Accessibility: The more countries a VPN network spans, the better your chances of finding a nearby server. A large network provides you with more flexibility in choosing regions and lets you get an IP address anywhere you need it to play different game servers or bypass geo-blocks on your Quest.
- Unblocking capabilities: Some games and apps may be region-locked or accessible only in specific countries. We evaluate our recommendations to ensure they work with Supernatural and other region-locked Quest apps and services.
- Privacy: Online gaming exposes you to potential threats, and not everyone you encounter has your best interests in mind. To safeguard against issues like doxxing and swatting, our VPNs provide reliable encryption, a kill switch, a strict no-logs policy, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks.
- User-friendliness: We prioritize user-friendly VPNs, offering clean and intuitive apps, including an Android app you can sideload onto your Quest. Extra points for router compatibility and 24/7 live chat support.
How to use a VPN on a Meta Quest headset
There are three different ways to use a VPN with your Meta Quest:
- Sideload the Android VPN app (APK) onto your Quest using SideQuest and connect directly.
- Set up a virtual hotspot on a computer that is hosting the VPN connection and connect your Quest to this VPN-protected hotspot.
- Set up your VPN on a compatible router and connect your Quest to the wi fi.
Each of these methods offers distinct advantages. Below, we will explain how to implement each of these methods.
Can I install a VPN directly on Oculus Quest?
Yes. You can sideload Android APK files directly to an Oculus Quest headset via SideQuest. You can get full access to any Android apps that aren’t currently available in the official Quest store.
To sideload APK files (including the Android VPN client for any of the VPNs recommended in this guide) onto your Quest 2 or Quest 3, just follow the steps below:
- Install SideQuest onto your computer.
- Download the APK file (Android file) for your VPN from Google Play. You can do this using a special website or browser extension. Make a note of the location of the APK file on your hard drive.
- Connect your Oculus Quest to your PC using a USB-C cable.
- Launch SideQuest and click Install APK file from folder.
- Locate the APK file on your hard drive and agree for SideQuest to install it onto your Quest 2 or Quest 3 headset.
- Once SideQuest has completed sideloading your VPN onto your headset, unplug it from the USB cable, and place it on your head.
- Search for your VPN in your library of apps and launch it.
- Use the VPN in the same way as on a smartphone or tablet.
Set up a virtual VPN-protected hotspot for your Quest
If you want to share a VPN connection with your Quest in the easiest way possible, we recommend this method. One advantage of a virtual hotspot is that the VPN doesn’t take up any space on your Quest (perfect if you have the 256 GB Quest 3 – or the older 64 GB Quest 2).
Another advantage is that you will not waste any of your Quest’s processing power or RAM running the VPN. This should help keep everything running smoothly.
Nowadays, most Windows PCs and Mac computers allow you to set up a hotspot. You can connect to the VPN on your computer, and then share that connection with your Quest headset using a virtual wifi hotspot. Please follow the links below for full instructions on how to set up a VPN hotspot:
Set up your VPN on a compatible router
Enabling a VPN on your router has the distinct advantage of automatically securing every device connected to your network, including your Quest. This approach allows you to bypass connection limits because a router is considered a single device. As a result, you can protect every device in your home.
The process is a bit more involved than a simple app installation. First, you must check that you have a VPN-compatible router, and then you must install the connection manually using the VPN configuration files that you download from your VPN provider’s website. Note that every router manufacturer has its own control panel and idiosyncrasies.
The good news is that most leading VPN providers offer comprehensive, step-by-step guides to assist you in setting up their services on DD-WRT, OpenWrt, pfSense, and Tomato routers. If you find yourself facing any challenges, you can reach out to customer support.
If your router’s firmware isn’t compatible with a VPN, then you may need to flash it with third-party firmware. This task may be too daunting for some people because it can void your router’s warranty and potentially damage your router if you get it wrong.
If this sounds like too much trouble, you can use one of the methods described earlier or purchase a pre-flashed router from ExpressVPN or FlashRouters.com. These come pre-set to work with the VPN of your choice; making the task of protecting your entire home considerably easier.