Irish public media broadcaster RTE has an on-demand video component, but like many others like it, most of the content on RTE player is geo-locked. Some shows, such as analysis on political and current events, are available for international audiences without the need for a VPN, but the rest require you to have an Irish IP address before you’re granted access.
If you try to access one of its geo-restricted shows, you’ll be greeted with the following message:
“This programme cannot be streamed due to rights restrictions.”
This is because RTE Player has detected that you’re IP address is from outside Ireland. However, if you connect to an Irish VPN server, you’ll be granted a local IP address, unshackling you from this restriction. Another benefit of using a VPN is that it will encrypt your traffic, preventing snoopers like your Internet Service Provider (ISP), employer, or government from determining what you’re doing on the web.
If you’re in a rush, here’s our snapshot of the best VPNs to livestream RTE Player abroad. In-depth reviews of each are provided further down this article:
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice for RTE Player due to its impressive speeds, top-notch unblocking ability, and strong privacy features.
- NordVPN: With 31 servers in Ireland, NordVPN gives you plenty of options to acquire an Irish IP address. It also has a no-logs policy and excellent security parameters.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost has 20 servers in Ireland. It also ships with user-friendly apps, pre-configured security options, and extremely fast connections. It’s able to unblock lots of streaming sites including RTE Player.
- IPVanish: This provider has a strong reputation for privacy and security, and has options to connect to a server in Ireland.
- PrivateVPN: PrivateVPN has superior unblocking capabilities and comes with servers equipped for HD video streaming, allowing you to stream RTE Player from anywhere.
How did we choose the best VPNs for RTE Player?
While there are plenty of VPNs available, this actually makes the task of picking the right VPN for RTE Player even harder. Not all VPNs are optimized for RTE Player, and to ensure that you sign up to a reliable service, we’ve based our recommendations on the following criteria:
- Must be able to unblock RTE Player and other streaming services
- Incorporates a reliable, speedy connection with high uptime
- Utilizes unhackable encryption parameters and other security features
- Doesn’t store user logs
- Offers apps for the major platforms
- Has support for simultaneous connections
Best VPNs for watching RTE Player
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to watch RTE Player from anywhere in the world.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries including Ireland. It’s well-suited for streaming 1080p online video and is able to do just that without any noticeable buffering or lag. This provider works well with RTE Player as well as other services like BBC iPlayer, Netflix US, Hulu, ESPN, and more.
ExpressVPN will keep your web activity private by using 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch in the desktop app. This feature swiftly blocks all web traffic if the connection becomes unstable, preventing any leaks outside the encrypted tunnel.
There are no user-identifying logs that are stored on its servers. For additional protection and control over your digital footprint, you can choose to pay with Bitcoin if you prefer. Customer support via live chat is available around the clock, and a single account allows for three simultaneous connections.
Apps are available for Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Linux. The provider also offers custom firmware which can be installed on certain routers.
- Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Works with all major streaming sites, e.g. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- More than 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Fewer simultaneous connections than rivals
BEST VPN FOR RTE PLAYER:ExpressVPN is our top choice It’s a versatile provider that has a wide variety of streaming and unblocking capabilities. Try it with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN Review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has a gigantic server network with over 5,200 servers spread across 60 countries. Ireland hosts 31 servers so there are enough options for you to access RTE Player.
NordVPN is a proven performer to access a number of streaming providers such as RTE Player, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix US, and more. Users can opt to select a server that’s optimized for certain tasks, such as streaming HD video and double encryption. This means you will be able to watch your favorite shows and movies without any problem. What’s more, NordVPN allows six simultaneous connections with one account so you can share with friends and family if needed.
Security features are impressive. NordVPN uses 256-bit encryption, an internet kill switch, ad-blocking, malware protection, and support against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. It also has a strict no-logs policy meaning no actual customer data is recorded on its servers. Customer support is available around the clock and apps are included for all major platforms — iOS, Windows, Linux, MacOS, and Android.
- Best budget VPN for torrenting and streaming
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Operates a network of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Connections through the desktop app can be slow
BEST BUDGET OPTION:NordVPN is an excellent service that’s available at a price which won’t break the bank. You’ll be able to stream RTE Player from anywhere in the world. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is one of the most user-friendly services out there and is specifically designed for newcomers to the VPN world. With over 3,700 servers in 59 countries (including 20 in Ireland), it’ll do the job of unblocking RTE Player seamlessly.
This provider offers fast speeds, well-designed apps, and servers tailored to unblocking streaming services. Security features include 256-bit encryption, an internet kill switch, an ad-blocker, malware-scanner, automatic wifi protection, and prevention of DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also adheres to a policy of not storing any user logs or data.
A single account allows seven connections at the same time. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Customer support is available 24/7.
- Low-cost option with beginner-friendly apps
- Plenty of servers in Europe and North America
- All security features enabled by default
- Less suitable for power users
IDEAL FOR NEWCOMERS:CyberGhost is a preferred option for those who want minimal fuss and aren’t looking for lots of customizability. It ships with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost VPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish is best known for its superior location-evading capabilities so there’s little chance of RTE Player figuring out that you’re not in Ireland. It delivers on speed and customer support, too.
With over 1,300 servers in 60 countries, including options in Ireland, IPVanish can assist you in getting an IP address from all over the world. It’s headquartered in the US, but declines to store any logs that contain personally identifiable information. What’s more, it owns and operates all the servers in its network, giving it a lot more control over user traffic as compared to other providers.
Security features include 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
IPVanish is a known favorite with torrenters and Kodi users for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it gives them the option to download the Android APK directly to their device. Secondly, the interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that don’t have a keyboard and mouse.
This provider allows users to connect 10 devices simultaneously under one plan, which is a very generous allocation. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat customer support.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Kill switch on desktop
- Customer support is a little slow
VERSATILE VPN:IPVanish does its job very well as it comes with superior cloaking ability and extremely fast speeds. Try it with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN isn’t trying to compete on a numbers game – it only offers about 150 servers in 60 countries, including Ireland, but the service has superior speed and unblocking capability. It’s able to help you access major streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and RTE Player.
Security comes in the form of 256-bit encryption, an internet kill switch for Windows, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. This provider doesn’t store any user data logs and gives the option for anonymous signups by paying with Bitcoin. Support via live chat isn’t 24/7 but is still useful and will help you in case you run into any problems. Representatives can give you remote assistance if you so desire.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. A single account allows for six connections at any given time.
- Speeds are good enough for high-quality streaming
- No issues getting it working with Kodi devices
- Can connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Newish provider is still expanding their network, has fewer servers to choose from
- Live chat is not around the clock
STREAMING VPN:PrivateVPN is an up-and-coming provider that’s primed for streaming HD video. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private VPN review.
Can I use a free VPN to watch RTE Player?
Free VPNs are a tempting option because of the lack of any upfront payment needed. However, we don’t recommend you use them due to several reasons.
Most free VPNs intentionally take on far more users than their servers can support, making it likely that you will experience frequent buffering as the video streams. Free VPNs generally offer a small choice of servers and unreliable connections. They’re trying to make money as well, which means you may be subjected to lots of invasive advertisements. Some free VPNs track user activity and sell the information to advertisers.
There have been instances of free VPNs selling user bandwidth to build botnet armies while others have knowingly injected tracking cookies to mine and harvest user data. At the end of the day, using a reputable VPN that puts customer interests first is your best option.
How to use a VPN with RTE Player
To be able to stream RTE player outside Ireland, such as in Spain or France, just follow the steps below.
Here’s how to watch RTE Player abroad:
- Decide on a suitable VPN service – our recommendation is ExpressVPN.
- Once the payment has been successfully authenticated, proceed to download and install the relevant apps for your device. Use either the provider’s website or official app marketplaces.
- Connect to a server in Ireland.
- Try to access RTE Player. It should work straight away, but if it doesn’t, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies.
What shows are available on RTE Player?
Some of the programs on RTE Player are:
- The Late Late Show
- Fair City Capsule
- 12 Years a Slave
- Claire Byrne Live
What else can I do with a VPN?
The most popular use case for VPNs is to access geo-restricted shows and movies, but there are several other things you can do with the hardy software.
As we mentioned before, VPNs add a layer of virtually uncrackable encryption to your web connection. This means accessing poorly-secured public wifi networks, such as those found in airports, malls, and coffee shops, can be made much safer. Encryption means that hackers who typically prey on unsuspecting users are kept safely at bay.
VPNs are also an excellent option for holidaymakers who might be trying to access online bank accounts like the Bank of Ireland, Barclays Bank Ireland, and Dell Bank International. By connecting to a VPN first and selecting a server in your home country, you’re effectively conveying to the host institution that you’re physically located there. This prevents any fraud detection alerts and won’t cause your account to be locked out, for example.
- 1 How did we choose the best VPNs for RTE Player?
- 2 Best VPNs for watching RTE Player
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 3. CyberGhost
- 6 4. IPVanish
- 7 5. PrivateVPN
- 8 Can I use a free VPN to watch RTE Player?
- 9 How to use a VPN with RTE Player
- 10 What shows are available on RTE Player?
- 11 What else can I do with a VPN?