If you travel abroad (outside Ireland), you’ll find that most Irish TV is inaccessible due to copyright and licensing restrictions. This can be frustrating if you want to keep up with your favorite shows while on holiday or working abroad. The good news is that you can easily unblock geo-restricted content wherever you are with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
When you connect to a VPN, your internet traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel, securing your data and protecting your privacy. You’re also provided with an IP address for the location of the server to which you’re connected. For example, connecting to a server in Ireland means you’ll receive an Irish IP address. This allows you to unblock and watch your favorite Irish TV shows from anywhere in the world.
In this article, we’ll explain how to use a VPN to watch Irish TV from anywhere and list the best VPNs for the job. We’ll go into more detail about each of them later, but in case you; ‘re short on time, here’s a quick summary.
Best VPNs for Irish TV:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for watching Irish TV from anywhere. 50+ servers in Ireland and 5,500 globally. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Irish TV, such as RTÉ2. No-logs service with 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Excellent unblocking — works with RTÉ1 and RTÉ 2, among other Irish TV channels. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
- ExpressVPN: Very fast speeds and consistent connections. Works with RTÉ1 and TV3. Offers 24/7 live chat support and strong security with encryption.
- CyberGhost: High-speed servers for streaming RTÉ1 and RTÉ2 lag-free. Very strong security includes a strict no-logs policy. Network of over 9,000 servers worldwide and 100+ in Ireland.
- IPVanish: Secure all of your devices at once. Works with Irish TV channels, including 3e and RTÉ News Now. No-logs policy and is secure with encryption.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds for lag-free streaming of RTÉ1 and TG4. Easy-to-use apps and live chat support. Security includes a no-logs policy, encryption, and a kill switch.
- AtlasVPN: Good speeds for watching TV3 and 3e abroad. 24/7 live chat support and easy-to-use apps. Keeps your data secure with high-end encryption.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Irish TV with no restrictions for a full month. This is ideal if you’re looking to keep watching RTÉ or Virgin Media One while on a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Irish TV abroad with a VPN
The easiest way to watch Irish TV from abroad is with VPN. By connecting to a VPN server in Ireland, you can bypass region locks and access all your favorite home services while abroad. And don’t worry if you’ve never used a VPN before, it’s pretty simple; just follow the steps below.
Here’s how to watch Irish TV online from abroad:
- Choose a VPN to sign up with. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Ireland. This is how you get the Irish IP address necessary for watching Irish TV abroad.
- Go to an Irish TV platform or streaming service and select a live stream or on-demand video. The content should be unblocked and available to watch.
- Having trouble? Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies before reloading the page. Alternatively, try another server in Ireland or contact your VPN’s customer support.
Best VPNs for Irish TV: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for accessing Irish TV from anywhere.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Irish TV:||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Avg Speed (Europe)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||9,300||2,200+||200+||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for watching Irish TV anywhere
There are hundreds of VPN providers on the market but they don’t all provide teh same level of service. We’ve found the best VPNs for watching Irish TV overseas by looking for those that meet the following criteria:
- Fast, reliable servers in Ireland for streaming Irish TV
- Unblocks Irish TV channels, including RTÉ One and RTÉ2
- Strong security with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Customer support via live chat and email
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for watching Irish TV online from abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN for watching Irish TV abroad. It has over 50 servers in Ireland and over 5,500 servers worldwide. As such, you can use it to watch not only Irish TV, such as RTÉ, but major international platforms, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. This VPN offers unlimited bandwidth with no throttling, which means you can enjoy uninterrupted streaming, even at higher resolutions. You may also be interested to know that some of NordVPN’s servers in Ireland are optimized for P2P file-sharing.
One NordVPN account lets you secure up to six devices. Speaking of security, this service has plenty of features designed to keep your data safe. For starters, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. NordVPN also operates a strict no-logs policy which means your personal information stays private. Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers are available for an extra layer of security. If you need any help, 24/7 support is available via live chat.
You can use NordVPN via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN is compatible with select routers, but manual installation is required.
- Fastest speeds of any major VPN
- Dozens of servers in Ireland for watching Irish TV abroad
- Up to six connections per account
- Live chat and email support available 24/7
- Operates a strict no-logs policy
30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app doesn’t disconnect in one click
BEST VPN FOR IRISH TV:NordVPN is our first choice. It has dozens of servers in Ireland and works with RTÉ1 and RTÉ2. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming and can be used on up to six devices at once. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support and Double VPN servers. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark lets you connect as many devices as you want simultaneously. As such, it’s ideal for sharing with family. It offers a growing network of over 3,200 servers in 100+ countries, including Ireland, the UK, and the US. It’s a reliable choice when it comes to unblocking RTÉ 1 and RTÉ2 and also works well with the likes of BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Amazon Prime Video. Unlimited bandwidth means you can stream and torrent as much as you want.
This VPN offers knowledgeable 24/7 support, which is available via live chat. However, the excellent apps are quick and easy to navigate and unlikely to pose any problems. Where Surfshark stands out is with its comprehensive range of security features. This is a no-logs VPN service that uses 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. If you’d like an extra layer of security, Double VPN servers are also available.
To watch Irish TV abroad, simply connect to a Surfshark server in Ireland. Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual installation is necessary for use with routers.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Servers in over 100 countries, including Ireland
- Accessing Irish TV and most popular streaming services
- Lots of security features, including a strict no-logs policy
- Provides live chat support, which is available 24/7
- Settings menu could be better organized
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark unblocks RTÉ1 and TG4 abroad without breaking the bank. Unlimited simultaneous connections and 24/7 live chat support. Very strong security includes strict no-logs policy, encryption, and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries which is more than the vast majority of VPNs. Overall, it has over 3,000 servers, some of which are located in Ireland. This is the perfect choice for watching Irish TV abroad because it offers fast speeds, consistent connections, and unlimited bandwidth. As such, you shouldn’t have any issues with lag or buffering. Another advantage of ExpressVPN is its excellent unblocking ability. Indeed, it works with RTÉ, TV3, and more.
This VPN includes live chat and email support, which you can contact 24/7. You’ll also be able to secure up to five devices at once via a single account. Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN isn’t subject to mandatory data retention laws and, accordingly, doesn’t keep any personally identifiable data of its users. Furthermore, it allows you to browse the web anonymously through its use of 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch, DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection.
ExpressVPN apps are available for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. There’s also custom firmware for routers.
- Servers in 94 countries, including Ireland
- Fast speeds for streaming Irish TV, such as RTÉ
- Also works with the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Very strong security with encryption and no identifying logs
- 24/7 live customer service
- Slightly more expensive than the other VPNs on this list
- Could offer more control over advanced features
STRONG ALL ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is a solid option. It’s fast, reliable, and unblocks the likes of RTÉ1 and TV3. Excellent apps as well as 24/7 support. Use it on up to five devices simultaneously. Highly secure with encryption and kill switch. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost presents a combination of quality and quantity when it comes to its servers for streaming Irish TV outside Ireland. It’s known for offering high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth. However, it also has an impressive network of over 9,000 servers, 100+ of which are located in Ireland. You can therefore use CyberGhost to securely access Irish TV channels, including RTÉ1 and TG4. This VPN also works with Netflix US.
Signing up with CyberGhost means you can secure up to seven devices simultaneously. You’ll also have access to 24/7 live chat support. Security features include a strict no-logs policy and 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks as well as an automatic kill switch which cuts your internet traffic should the VPN connection drop. All of this serves to protect your privacy and makes CyberGhost a highly secure service.
CyberGhost lets you live stream Irish TV abroad via its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You also have the option of downloading browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Compatible routers require manual setup.
- Offers 9,000 servers in 91 countries, including 100+ in Ireland
- Unblock RTÉ 1 and TG4 as well as Netflix US
- Very strong security thanks to encryption and strict no-logs policy
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
- Maybe less suitable for those who need control over advanced features
PRIVACY PROTECTION:CyberGhost has high-speed servers for uninterrupted streaming of Irish TV such as RTÉ News Now. Connect up to seven devices simultaneously. 24/7 support and very strong security with a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish lets you watch Irish TV from anywhere. This includes channels such as Virgin Media One and RTÉ News Now. Offering a network of roughly 2,000 servers in dozens of countries (including servers in Dublin, Ireland), it’s a solid choice for browsing and streaming. You can expect consistent connections as well as unlimited bandwidth. Better still, this VPN lets you connect all of your devices simultaneously.
It only takes one click to connect to the fastest available IPVanish server, making this VPN particularly easy to use. Upon signing up for this service, you’ll have access to 24/7 live chat support. Data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption, plus you’re also protected from DNS leaks. Last, but not least, there’s a kill switch feature and a zero-logs policy, ensuring you can stay secure while browsing and streaming.
Secure your internet traffic by connecting to IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. This VPN is also compatible with Linux and select routers, but this involves manual configuration.
- Consistent connections for lag-free streaming of Irish TV
- Lets you connect any number of devices simultaneously
- Offers strong privacy protection with its zero-logs policy
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat
- Headquartered in the US — a member of Five Eyes alliance
- No Chrome or Firefox browser extensions
UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH:IPVanish is a solid choice for streaming thanks to consistent connections and unlimited bandwidth. Watch TV3 and TG4 abroad. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. 24/7 live chat support and a zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN excels when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted websites and services. Indeed, it works well with Irish TV platforms, including RTÉ as well as popular international streaming services such as Netflix. Although this is a smaller VPN service, it has servers in 63 countries, including Ireland. What’s more, it offers very fast speeds, allowing you to stream at the highest possible quality without lag or buffering.
This VPN keeps everything from your IP address to your internet activity private in order to protect your identity. In fact, it offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch as part of its security package. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and the option to pay for a subscription with Bitcoin for increased anonymity. With PrivateVPN, you can connect up to 10 of your devices at once. If you have any questions, live chat support is available 22 hours per day.
A PrivateVPN subscription allows you access to apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. If you’d like to use this VPN with your router, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions.
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Works with RTÉ, Netflix, and more
- Secures data with encryption and offers a no-logs policy
- Only offers a smaller number of servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
STRESS-FREE STREAMING:PrivateVPN has strong unblocking ability and works with RTÉ2, 3e, and more. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. It’s easy to use and has live chat support. Uses encryption and offers a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN made our list of VPNs for Ireland because of its unlimited connection limit that lets the whole family secure their connection simultaneously. It has a relatively small server network versus other providers, but speeds are consistently fast, and it includes servers in Ireland that can unblock Irish TV channels. It also works with Disney Plus, Netflix, Hulu, and much more from anywhere.
AtlasVPN doesn’t collect logs, and operating its network from Panama backs its logging policy as it resides outside any surveillance operations. It includes a built-in kill switch, a breach monitor, malware and adware blocking, as well as split tunneling and AES encryption.
Plans include 24/7 customer support, and you can try the service risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Good speeds for streaming Irish TV, such as RTÉ overseas
- Live chat support available 24/7
- Security includes encryption and kill switch feature
- Doesn’t offer a browser extension for Firefox
- No anonymous payment options
ENDLESS DEVICES:AtlasVPN includes built-in malware blocking and a breach monitor, including servers in 35+ countries. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Watching Irish TV abroad with a free VPN
You might be able to unblock some Irish TV channels and streaming services with a free VPN. However, you’re likely to find most free VPNs are highly unreliable at unblocking in general. For example, very few free VPNs are able to access major streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Another problem is that free VPNs offer very few servers, as well as slow speeds and limited bandwidth. All of this makes streaming a challenge.
Free VPNs also struggle when it comes to security. Many lack essential features, be it encryption or a kill switch. This increases the odds of your data being intercepted by hackers or snoopers. You may even find that a free VPN logs your data to be sold to third parties.
For these reasons, we recommend avoiding free VPNs. For optimal streaming performance and privacy protection, we recommend you select a high-quality paid VPN service instead.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for watching Irish TV abroad
Some VPNs are better for streaming than others. For instance, there are plenty of providers that can’t unblock RTÉ outside of Ireland or which are too slow for uninterrupted playback. To make sure we only recommend the best of the best, we created a strict list of requirements for our top VPNs. You’ll find this below:
- Servers in Ireland: These provide you with an Irish IP address, making the sites you visit think you’re still in Ireland. Without Irish servers, you simply won’t be able to use platforms like RTÉ Player, TV3, Virgin Media One, or BBC iPlayer while traveling abroad.
- Streaming ability: Our team personally tests each VPN we recommend with the most popular streaming platforms to see which works the most reliably. As such, we can say which are able to access Netflix, ITV Hub, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
- Speed: We periodically run hundreds of speed tests to find out which VPNs are currently the fastest. Needless to say, only those that perform well earn a spot on our list.
- Security: To ensure you can stream safely, we require our top VPNs to have 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, and DNS leak protection built-in. If there are any more advanced features included, all the better.
- Usability: We keep an eye out for features that remove barriers to entry. This could be unlimited connections, a wide variety of apps, or 24/7 live chat, but really, anything that makes the service easier to use is greatly appreciated.
This is just and overview. We perform a full battery of tests on every VPN we recommend. To find out more, read our full VPN testing methodology post.
Streaming Irish TV abroad: FAQs
What Irish TV channels can I watch online for free?
There are various Irish TV channels that you can watch online for free with a VPN. These include the following:
- RTÉ News Now
What Irish TV shows can I stream with a VPN?
With an Irish IP address, you’ll be able to stream Irish TV including the following TV shows:
- Fair City
- Mrs. Brown’s Boys
- The Fall
- Striking Out
- Prime Time
- Bridget & Eamon
- Room to Improve
- Hardy Bucks
- Dancing with the Stars
Is it legal to watch Irish TV abroad with a VPN?
Note: Although we do extensive research, Comparitech does not provide legal advice. You should always do your own research into local laws before going online with a VPN.