The digital age is a double-edged sword. While services like Virgin Media offer a treasure trove of TV shows and movies, geo-restrictions often throw cold water on our viewing plans. Have you ever been locked out of your favorite show because you crossed a border? We know the frustration.
We’ve found solutions to this problem through exhaustive research and rigorous testing. First and foremost, if you’re currently in the UK and planning a trip abroad, seize the moment. Virgin Media lets you download content for offline viewing, turning those long flights and layovers into entertainment gold.
But what if you’ve already left or want to access your Virgin Media account live from overseas? Enter the world of Virtual Private Networks, or VPNs. These digital tools cloak your IP address, making it appear like you’re browsing from within the UK. But there’s a catch: Virgin Media is no stranger to VPNs and has blocked a lion’s share of them.
Our expertise has led us to a select few VPNs that dance right past Virgin Media’s defenses. Stay tuned as we go deeper, but here’s a sneak peek of the best VPNs for Virgin Media for those in a hurry:
The best VPN services for Virgin Media:
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice Virgin Media VPN. A huge network of servers in the UK and worldwide. Fast servers for streaming including Virgin TV GO and Netflix. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Virgin Media.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for Virgin Media. Fast enough for HD streaming and can access content worldwide. Strong on security, including AES 256-bit encryption. Allows unlimited connections.
- ExpressVPN: Fast UK servers for Virgin Media streaming. Works with most popular streaming sites including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. No bandwidth throttling and high levels of security.
- CyberGhost: Great for beginners. High-speed VPN for streaming in high definition. An extensive network of servers and advanced security features like strong encryption and a no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Offers fast and reliable UK servers and excellent privacy features to keep you safe. Access Virgin Media and other geo-restricted services from anywhere in the world.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast and excellent at unblocking streaming services, including Virgin Media, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- AtlasVPN: A fast and secure VPN that is great for streaming. VPN Apps for all devices and unlimited simultaneous connections.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Virgin TV with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to stream your favorite shows or are going abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Note that in order to be able to watch Virgin Media, you’ll need to be a Virgin customer. This means signing up for Virgin TV, Virgin Broadband or both if you haven’t already.
Best VPNs for Virgin Media – Our hands-on review
We’ve tested and compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Virgin Media.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Virgin Media||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming services||Virgin Media|
|Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||7||10||Unlimited||10||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Avg Speed (UK)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 82% + Get 4 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a two year plan + 12-months free
Many streaming sites have implemented anti-VPN measures, which means only the best-paid VPNs are able to bypass geo-restrictions. We’ve tested a lot of VPNs in order to determine the best VPN for Virgin Media so you can watch it online, outside the UK. Our ranking methodology of the best VPNs for Virgin Media is based on many factors which we have discussed under the following reviews.
Best VPNs for Virgin Media
From real-world testing, here is our list of the best Virgin Media VPNs:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN leads the way when it comes to the sheer quantity of servers on offer. If you’re looking for a VPN with plenty of UK servers, NordVPN certainly ticks that box with well over 400. Overall, NordVPN has more than 5,500 servers across 59 countries. In our experience, NordVPN works well with streaming services such as Virgin Media, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. What’s more, NordVPN is fast. Featuring unlimited bandwidth, streaming is smooth and uninterrupted.
You can use NordVPN on up to six devices simultaneously, allowing you to secure everything from your computer and smartphone to your router. NordVPN is one of the few VPNs to offer browser extensions, which does make using the VPN quicker and easier. The apps are also very easy to navigate. NordVPN offers excellent security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. If you’re seeking even greater security, you can choose double VPN and onion over VPN servers. Last but not least, NordVPN has a strict no logs policy, protecting your private data.
NordVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux. There’s also an app for Android TV as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- A huge network of servers worldwide
- Works with many popular streaming services
- The fastest service we’ve tested
- The option of specialty servers
- A strict no logs policy
- No app for routers
BEST VPN FOR VIRGIN MEDIA:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It has a huge network of servers, offers fast connection speeds and even includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is ideal for streaming live TV, and not only because it works with popular platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. This service offers access to more than 3,000 servers in 60+ countries, and its connections are fast enough to watch live HD video without any noticeable lag. Best of all, there’s no connection limit, which means you can watch whatever you like, whenever you like, wherever you are.
This service comes with several powerful security features including a kill switch (in all versions), protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also a NoBorders feature that lets you access the internet freely from countries with strict online censorship. Surfshark follows a strict no-logs policy and as such, your activities cannot be traced back to you. There is the option to pay in cryptocurrency for another layer of protection, though. Live chat-based support is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
Surfshark has apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS devices. It can be manually installed on supported internet routers.
- Securely access plenty of region-locked services
- Strong on security
- No connection limit
- Keeps no logs and accepts three kinds of cryptocurrency
- 24/7 live chat support
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark has exceptional unblocking ability and allows as many connections as you need, but it remains affordable and even offer powerful security and privacy features. As if that wasn’t enough, this service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN can securely access Virgin Media online as well as many other popular streaming sites including Netflix. We’ve found ExpressVPN’s performance to be among the very best thanks to the unlimited bandwidth on offer. Aside from offering very fast connection speeds, this is a reliable VPN, promising 99.9% uptime. ExpressVPN has more servers than most VPNs with 3,000 servers in 94 countries.
Your VPN should not only unblock Virgin Media outside the UK but also keep you safe. ExpressVPN keeps no traffic logs. When you combine this with the 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, split tunneling and a kill switch feature, ExpressVPN is undoubtedly one of the most secure VPNs on the market. We tested the 24/7 live chat support offered by ExpressVPN and received a reply within seconds, which was impressive.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux and routers. Games consoles, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV can be configured with ExpressVPN MediaStreamer. Browser extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
- Plenty of servers in the UK and around the world
- Fast speeds make this VPN ideal for streaming
- 24/7 live chat support
- Lots of security features
- A little more expensive than others in this list
PRIVACY-FIRST SERVICE:ExpressVPN is security-conscious and offers access to lots of high speed servers, 24/7 live chat support and a high level of security. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 700 servers in the UK, most of which are located in the cities of London and Manchester. In total, CyberGhost’s network consists of more than 6,800 servers in 89 countries, which makes this VPN ideal for unblocking content worldwide. This is a VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth and traffic and is known to offer particularly fast speeds. This makes it ideal for streaming Virgin Media. Our testing of CyberGhost was very positive with no annoying buffering or lag to speak of.
We like the CyberGhost apps, which are easy to use and very responsive, making them suitable if you’re new to using a VPN. CyberGhost offers particularly good value since it allows simultaneous connections on up to 7 devices, which is great for families. This is one of the safer VPNs you can use since it has a wide range of security features. These include DNS and IP leak protection, a kill switch, a no logs policy and of course, 256-bit AES encryption.
CyberGhost offers apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire Stick. Routers can be configured manually.
- Plenty of UK based servers
- Unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds
- Apps are easy to use
- Encryption and a no logs policy
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
Easy to use:CyberGhost has over 700 servers in the UK, offers fast streaming speeds and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is one of the best value VPNs on the market. What we really like about this VPN is that you can have any number of connections at once. Aside from this, IPVanish has a good network of servers with 1,300 worldwide in 60+ countries. With around 100 servers in the UK (London, Manchester, Glasgow and Nottingham), you won’t be short of options when it comes to unblocking Virgin Media. This is a fast and stable VPN so you’re unlikely to have any performance problems.
When it comes to the IPVanish apps, they’re all very easy to follow. You’re presented with a choice of servers by country and city, as well as the option of ‘Best Available Server’. IPVanish is one of the few VPNs to offer an app for Amazon Fire TV. You can enjoy peace of mind with the high level of security of IPVanish. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and has DNS leak protection built-in while a kill switch ensures that traffic is cut should your VPN connection drop. It’s also worth knowing that IPVanish states that it keeps no traffic logs.
IPVanish offers apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Amazon Fire TV. Linux requires manual setup.
- Fast and stable connections
- No connection limit
- User-friendly apps
- App for Amazon Fire TV
- Doesn’t work reliably with Netflix
- No app for Linux
SECURE ALL DEVICES:Use a single IPVanish account to secure as many devices as you like. Offers user-friendly apps, high speeds, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has several servers in the UK (London and Manchester) and approximately 200 worldwide in 60+ countries. While it’s not a particularly big server network, it’s the quality of servers that counts with PrivateVPN. This is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tried thanks to the unlimited bandwidth and speed on offer. You’ll be able to stream Virgin Media anywhere, in high definition, with no problem. What’s more, you can use one PrivateVPN account to secure up to 6 devices simultaneously.
This is an easy VPN that is particularly user-friendly. The apps are simple to use and responsive which makes connecting to a server very quick. A stealth VPN option disguises your VPN’s traffic as regular web traffic, allowing you to bypass deep packet inspection and unblock even more content. 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch are some of the security features. PrivateVPN states that it has a zero data logging policy and doesn’t even know what its users are doing online.
PrivateVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS while Linux can be set up manually.
- Very fast speeds for streaming
- Use on up to 6 devices at once
- Easy to use apps
- Zero data logging policy
- A smaller network of servers
- No live chat option
GREAT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN offers very fast speeds and can be used on up to 6 devices simultaneously. Has a zero data logging policy and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Unblocks Virgin MediaTested Dec 2023
AtlasVPN is a reliable VPN that was only launched in 2019. Since that time it has quickly gained a reputation for being able to unblock a wide selection of content. This includes popular international streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Prime Video.
Servers are available in 44+ countries, and this includes servers in the UK that work to access Virgin Media, BT Sport, Sky TV, iPlayer, and ITV Hub. Plus, this VPN has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. This means you can use it to stream on any platform.
In terms of security, this VPN provides solid AES encryption. It also has apps that come with DNS leak protection, ad blocking, split tunneling, malware filtering, and a kill switch. You can use it for torrenting, and it is super fast thanks to its solid WireGuard implementation.
- Fast servers in 44 countries
- Works with Virgin Media and other British services
- Works with Netflix US
- Apps for all devices
- Plenty of security features
- Live chat is for subscribers only
- Fewer server locations than some of our top choices.
FAST AND SECURE:AtlasVPN has everything you need to stay secure whether at home or on public wifi. Allows an unlimited number of connections with a single account. Great for sharing your account with friends and family. Works with most streaming services. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
How we found the best VPNs for Virgin Media: Our methodology
Like many streaming services, Virgin Media works to block VPN use so this narrows down the possible options to an extent. However, there are various other factors to consider when choosing a VPN. These include server speed and strength of security. Below, we outline our methodology and the things we look for in our testing of VPNs.
- Compatibility: Not all VPNs work with Virgin Media due to the fact that the virgin Media actively blocks VPN IP addresses. Having tested a wide range of VPNs with Virgin Media, we’ve found those that work (and those that don’t!). However, keep in mind that this is a fluid situation that can change at short notice.
- Servers in the UK: Aside from being able to bypass the Virgin Media blocks, a VPN must have servers in the UK. This allows you to get a UK IP address and unblock the streaming service regardless of your location. The VPN’s we’ve recommended have servers in dozens of countries worldwide, the UK included.
- Unblocking: It’s not unusual for a household to have access to multiple streaming services. As such, it’s important that any VPN we recommend has strong unblocking ability. This means it should not only work with Virgin Media but also the likes of Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+.
- Security: One of the main reasons many people use a VPN is to browse and stream more securely. All of the VPNs in this post encrypt your internet traffic and protect you from leaks. Some even go a step further by offering Double VPN servers or even features such as an ad blocker or password manager.
- Privacy: Did you know that your ISP can see what you’re doing online? ISPs in the UK are also legally obliged to store logs of your browsing data. If you’d like to reclaim your right to privacy, use a VPN. We’ve looked at 140 VPN logging policies to find out which allow you to stay anonymous online.
- Ease of use: Not everyone is familiar with how VPNs work or indeed how to use a VPN. With this in mind, we looked for VPN providers that provide beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile. They also included live chat and email support 24 hours a day for quick and easy troubleshooting of issues.
- Value for money: The best VPNs provide monthly plans as well as the option to save long-term with an annual or multi-year subscription. In the cases of the best VPNs for Virgin Media, you’ll find a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days. To save a little extra, you can even make use of our VPN discount coupons.
We test each VPN in order to find out what it does (and doesn’t) offer. Our VPN testing methodology sees us analyze areas including speed, security, and unblocking. That way, we can be confident that the VPN’s we’re recommending are indeed the very best for Virgin Media.
How to watch Virgin Media online abroad with a VPN
Here’s how to watch Virgin Media online abroad using a VPN:
- Sign up for one of the suggested VPNs – we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN software for your operating system.
- Select one of the VPN’s UK servers (this is the only country in which Virgin Media is available) in order to get a UK IP address.
- Open Virgin Media and watch the content that should now be unblocked. You may need to clear your cookies for changes to take effect. If it doesn’t work, be sure to try another server.
- Enjoy the unrestricted access to Virgin Media live and on-demand content!
VPN for Virgin Media FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with Virgin Media?
While you may find a free VPN that works with Virgin Media, we wouldn’t recommend it for a few reasons. First off, free VPNs tend to suffer from poor performance. This is understandable since they have too few servers and too many users. You’ll, therefore, experience buffering and lag when trying to use a free VPN to watch Virgin Media outside the UK.
A good quality VPN should be able to unblock services like Virgin Media. However, VPNs should also provide you with improved online privacy. Unfortunately, this is not the case with many free VPNs, which spam users with inappropriate and annoying ads and infect devices with malware. What’s more, some free VPNs actually log your data and activity and sell it to third parties. Poor performance and poor privacy are the reasons why free VPNs simply aren’t worth it.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Virgin Media?
VPNs are legal in the UK and, as such, it’s legal to use a VPN with Virgin Media. However, it may go against Virgin Media’s terms of service. In theory, this could provide Virgin Media with the right to close your account and cancel your contract. However, we have found no such record of this happening so it’s more likely that no action will be taken other than VPN IP addresses occasionally becoming blacklisted.
Will using a Virgin Media VPN slow down my streaming experience?
Not necessarily! While it’s true that some VPNs significantly slow your connection, there are others which may even speed it up! The fastest VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth. This should allow you to stream Virgin Media Player in high resolution without performance issues such as lag and buffering. Remember, the closer a server to your physical location, the faster the speeds are likely to be.
How do I find my Virgin Media IP address?
Regardless of whether Virgin Media is your ISP or not, the quickest and easiest way to find your IP address is by using an online IP address checker such as whatismyip.com. However, you can also simply Google the question “What is my IP address?” and see the answer in the search results. Of course to change your Virgin Media IP address, you’ll need to connect to a VPN server.
What can I watch on Virgin Media?
Virgin Media offers a wide range of live TV as well as on-demand TV shows and movies. Here are some of the channels you can watch on Virgin Media:
- Terrestrial TV (BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5)
- Sky One and Sky Two
- ITV 2, ITV 3 and ITV 4
- Comedy Central
You can also use Virgin Media to watch the following titles on demand:
What devices can I watch Virgin Media on?
Virgin Media’s app, Virgin TV Go, is available on desktop and mobile (Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS). More specifically, it supports Windows 8.1 and MacOSX 10.1 and browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari. To watch Virgin TV Go on a mobile device it needs to be Android 5.1 or later or iOS 11 or later. However, Virgin TV Go is not available on Amazon Fire devices. Note that you can watch Virgin Media content on up to two devices simultaneously.
Can a VPN bypass Virgin Media's throttling?
Yes, it is possible to bypass Virgin Media throttling by using a VPN with fast speeds. With a good quality VPN, you can get back your normal browsing speed and protect yourself from potential cyber threats.
With powerful encryption techniques in place, VPNs can bypass all types of censorship and will prevent ISPs like Virgin Media from throttling internet speeds based on specific keywords or sites that have been flagged for reduced bandwidth usage.
Can I download shows to watch offline with Virgin Media?
Yes, you can download shows to watch offline with Virgin Media. This feature is available through the Virgin TV Go app, which allows you to download selected titles for offline viewing. Look out for the download icon next to the listing; tap the icon, and it will download.
However, it’s important to note that not all shows or movies may be available for download due to licensing restrictions.
How do I get past Virgin Media's Childsafe?
We do not encourage bypassing parental controls or web safety settings. However, if you need to turn off Virgin Media Childsafe, you can follow the steps provided on the Virgin Media website. You will need to confirm some details to check that you are 18 or over before the change is made. Changes to the Parental control setting usually take around two hours to update, but sometimes can take a little longer.