Are you trying to find the best iPad VPN? In this article, we’ll reveal our top 6 VPNs for iOS, how to get set up, and how to download a VPN if it doesn’t have an App in the App Store.
We get into plenty of detail about each of the VPNs on this list, but if you need to skip ahead in a hurry, here are our top pics:
- ExpressVPN Our top pick for an iPad VPN. iOS 7 or newer apps in the App Store. High-speed servers tuned for streaming, downloading and circumventing geo-blocked sites. Best-in-class security and privacy. Keep no logs. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- NordVPN Best Budget VPN. Good all-rounder that works with iOS 9 or newer. Large server network. Good privacy and security features.
- Surfshark A security-focused VPN with decent speeds, a no-logs policy, and the ability to unblock plenty of geo-restricted services abroad.
- CyberGhost Great value VPN, yet fast service. Easy to use app. Privacy and security are solid.
- IPVanish High privacy and security standards. Good speeds for streaming.
- VyprVPN Great at unlocking geo-blocked sites. Impressive speeds.
We’ve curated our list of the best VPNs for iPad based on the following criteria:
- Easy-to-use iOS client available in the App Store
- Support for multiple versions of iOS
- Don’t keep logs of users internet activity
- Fast speeds
- Strong security features and encryption
- Work well for streaming content such as Netflix and Amazon Prime
The best VPNs for iPad
Here is our list of the best VPNs for iPad (or any iOS device):
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN’s app will run on iOS 7 and newer and is protected by their “no-fuss 30-day money-back guarantee” so you can try it risk-free. It can be installed on iPhones, iPads and even the iPod Touch. The company operates VPN servers in over 78 countries and does not limit your bandwidth or the number of times you can switch servers. One of the best features is their logging policy stating that they don’t keep records of your traffic while connected to their servers. They also receive some bonus points for accepting many different payment methods: all the major credit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin, and others.
ExpressVPN is fast, great at protecting user privacy and works to unblock geo-restricted apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, BBC iPlayer and just about every other geo-blocked service we have tested. It will also work in countries like Turkey and China where many other VPN services have been blocked.
- Top performer in our tests for iOS 7 or newer devices
- Doesn’t log any data that can identify you
- Fantastic speeds for downloading and streaming
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and many others
- Fantastic 24/7 customer support
- Not the cheapest option in this list
The Best VPN FOR IPAD:ExpressVPN is our #1 Choice. Great iOS app. Optimized for high-speed connections. Scores high above its rivals for unblocking Netflix and most popular streaming sites. Hard to beat on privacy and security. There is a 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN requires iOS 9 or newer but offers some great features for iPad or any other iOS device. The app is easy to install and use, and has an extensive, global network of VPN servers to choose from. As an added bonus, NordVPN allows P2P traffic through their VPNs without limiting bandwidth, so it’s popular for torrenting. They also accept alternative methods of payment like bitcoins for their rather affordable service.
A single subscription allows you to connect up to six devices at the same time. If you want a value-for-money option with plenty of servers, good privacy protection features, reasonable speeds and works well at unblocking geo-restricted content like Netflix, then Nord is a good choice as an iOS VPN. NordVPN has recently been able to evade China’s Great Firewall and will work in other countries which actively block VPNs including the UAE.
- Good value option for iOS 9 or newer devices
- Offers secure, encrypted connections at all times
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Can select city location of servers, but not specific servers
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is great value. A real contender in all categories. Good iOS device support. Has strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has over 1,700 servers in 60+ countries, and an easy-to-use iOS app that hides plenty of advanced features. This service easily unblocks major streaming platforms like Netflix US and BBC iPlayer, plus it’s fast enough to stream live HD video with no noticeable buffering. As this VPN has no connection limit, it’s ideal for families or people looking to secure lots of devices at once.
This service takes user security very seriously. Your traffic is secured using effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption, as well as IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection. There’s also a kill switch (in every version) that immediately stops all traffic whenever you lose connection to the VPN unexpectedly. Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information although you can sign up almost completely anonymously by paying in Ripple, Ethereum, or Bitcoin. 24/7 support is on-hand over live chat.
Surfshark offers iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux apps. It also works with supported routers although these must be configured manually.
- No connection limit
- Strong security and no-logs policy
- Fast enough to stream live HD content
- 24/7 live chat available
- Accepts cryptocurrencies
- Smaller network than some others in this list
BROWSE WITHOUT LIMITS:Surfshark offers an unlimited number of connections, multi-platform support, and excellent unblocking ability, giving you the freedom to access whatever you want, wherever you are. It also comes with powerful security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes a slick, friendly VPN app that allows you to choose a server not just based on location, but based on how you plan to use the VPN. For example, the app will automatically select the best server for streaming Netflix or P2P filesharing, taking out the guesswork that comes with most other VPNs. It can also unblock BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime, among other streaming channels. Perfect for streaming on the go with an iPad.
CyberGhost has ramped up expansion and now boasts over 5,500 servers in 90 countries. Every connection is protected by 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an optional kill switch that halts all internet traffic should the VPN connection drop. The provider keeps no logs of your activity while connected.
- Runs on all devices with iOS 9.3 and higher
- Budget provider that doesn’t compromise on security and privacy
- Minimal configuration required
- Impressive streaming and downloading speeds
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- Doesn’t reliably work in China or UAE
VALUE AND PERFORMANCE:CyberGhost is easy to use. A budget choice. Good on privacy. Streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a no-logs VPN service that utilizes military-grade encryption and a zero-logs policy to ensure both privacy and security. Features like unlimited P2P traffic, anonymous torrenting, a SOCKS5 web proxy, and unlimited server switching are just the beginning. IPVanish lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously with unlimited bandwidth. IPVanish owns and operates its own servers rather than renting them, as is the status quo, ensuring you can always find a fast, uncongested connection.
While not as adept at unblocking video streaming sites as others on this list, IPVanish is a favorite among Kodi users thanks to its easily navigable interface and ability to work with any Kodi addon. If you need an iPad VPN to use with Kodi, IPVanish is a top contender.
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Very fast speeds
- Works well with Kodi Devices that require an iPhone or iPad VPN
- Updates from November 2018 onward will only run on devices with iOS 10+
- Apps don’t work in China
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers and handles multiple connections well. Easy to use and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Can’t unblock as many streaming services as some of its rivals. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is one of the few providers to own and operate all of its own servers and data centers. That means you get blazing fast speeds across all 70+ server locations. All connections are 256-bit encrypted, and there’s no data cap or bandwidth limit. VyprVPN offers three tiers with two, three, and five simultaneous connections.
VyprVPN excels at bypassing censorship, whether you’re in China or just stuck behind a firewall at the office. You can also use it to unblock geo-locked sites and apps from abroad, including Netflix US. VyprVPN is the only provider on this list to prohibit torrenting on its network so torrent users should look elsewhere.
- iOS 9 and higher
- Offers user selection of server geolocation
- Among the fastest VPNs that we have tested
- Apps are slick but lack advanced configuration options
- No cryptocurrency payment method.
- A bit pricey
EASY TO USE:VyprVPN is user friendly. A solid choice. Stores no logs, offers great security and unblocks most streaming services. More pricey than some. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
How to setup a VPN on iPad
If this is your first time using a VPN then you might find it helpful to see how to get started. Below is our simple step-by-step guide to iPad VPN setup.
Here’s how to setup a VPN on your iPad:
- Visit the App Store on your iPad and search for your chosen VPN provider. We particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN provider’s App.
- Once the download is complete navigate to the App on your device.
- After opening the App choose and connect to an appropriate server. If you are looking to unblock specific content then choose a country where the content is available (for example you would need a US server to unblock American Netflix). However, if you are simply looking to improve your online privacy then any server in your home country will achieve this.
- You are now connected to the internet through an iPad VPN!
What to do when there is no iOS app
If you don’t want to use the provider’s app, or if your VPN service doesn’t come with an iOS app, there is a VPN tool built into iOS that can be manually configured to connect to your VPN provider’s server of choice. It’s a fairly straightforward setup, but you will need the following information before you begin:
- Supported protocol – listed as “Type” in iOS
- VPN server address
- Your User ID and password
- If a certificate is required, you will need to get the certificate from your VPN provider
- Proxy details, if any
- Or just the URL of the proxy server
To start, simply get into your Settings app and follow these instructions:
- Scroll down and tap on General, then scroll down and tap on VPN.
- Tap VPN Configuration to get into the configuration settings.
- Choose the most secure protocol that the VPN server supports. OpenVPN and IKEv2 are preferred, but L2TP are almost as secure. PPTP has been proven to provide very weak encryption but provides a faster connection if speed is more important than security.
- Give the connection a description so that you will know the provider as well as the server that it will connect to. Then you will need to enter the server address provided by your VPN service provider. If a certificate is required then the provider will have one ready for you. (NordVPN is one that provides a certificate for the IKEv2 protocol only. However, NordVPN’s iOS app uses OpenVPN by default for supported versions of iOS, so you’re better off simply using their app instead.)
- If there’s no certificate option, you will need to enter your username and password. For Authentication, select Username and enter the details below. Your VPN provider will also have a shared secret key for you to enter. Make sure you get it from the provider’s manual VPN configuration instructions.
- Finally, if you have to connect to the internet through a proxy, then you should already have the proxy information. If you don’t know what this is, then leave it off. Tap the blue Done button at the top right of the screen.
- You will now have a VPN slider as well as the VPN description listed on this screen. Simply slide the switch to the on position and watch to make sure the connection is successful. When the status shows “Connected”, you’re done. You can now surf privately and securely.
Note that manually setting up an iPhone VPN this way will encrypt your internet traffic and hide your IP address, but you won’t get many of the other useful features found in the apps like kill switches, leak protection, and automatic public wi-fi protection.
How to connect several Apple devices to the VPN at the same time
Apple junkie? No problem! All of the iOS VPNs we recommended above allow for several simultaneous connections so you can connect your iPhone, iPad, Macbook, and anything else in your house to the VPN at the same time. This is also useful if you share your VPN subscription with family or roommates.
Here are how many devices you can connect on each VPN with a base tier subscription:
- ExpressVPN: 3 simultaneous connections
- NordVPN: 6 simultaneous connections
- IPVanish: 5 simultaneous connections
- VyprVPN: 3 simultaneous connections
- CyberGhost: 5 simultaneous connections
If that’s not enough for you, you might consider configuring the VPN connection on your wifi router or setting up a VPN-enabled hotspot with a windows virtual router. A wifi router only counts as one device, and you can connect as many devices to it as you need and route them through the VPN. This also works for devices that don’t intuitively support VPNs, such as Apple TV.
If you’re not particularly tech-savvy, we recommend ExpressVPN’s pre-configured VPN routers. ExpressVPN makes the best VPN-enabled router firmware in the market. You will need an ExpressVPN subscription to use it, however.
Otherwise, you can configure a VPN on your own with a compatible router. Some routers come with firmware that supports VPN connections, and others don’t. If your router doesn’t support VPNs, look around to see if you can replace the firmware with an open-source alternative like DD-WRT or Tomato.
Note that you should use extreme caution when flashing new firmware to a router. Using firmware that’s incompatible with your exact router model or making a mistake during the flashing process could brick your router and leave it permanently damaged. The exact process varies from router to router.
Best VPN for iPad FAQ
⭐Why do I need a VPN for my iPad?
It doesn't really matter what device you're using to access the internet. When online, if you want to...
- hide your internet traffic from your internet service provider
- use unsecured, public wi-fi for any type of secure communication
- add an extra layer of security for online communications
- access to any content that is geo-blocked
… then you need a VPN on whatever device you use to get online. Fortunately, you have a variety of options and price ranges to choose from.
⭐Can I use a free VPN for iPad or iOS devices?
A bunch of supposedly free VPN apps for iOS are listed on the App Store that aren't actually VPNs. Hola is one such "service". Instead of connecting your computer to a VPN server, Hola connects your computer to a community-powered P2P network to provide supposedly anonymous internet access. The problem here is that the actual provider has no direct control over any of the nodes in the network as each node is a privately owned computer of one of it's 55 million members. The lack of strong encryption makes your traffic vulnerable to interception or inspection by any node and, worst of all, your internet bandwidth is sold to third parties who may or may not also have access to your computer's resources through Hola's software. This has all the makings of a botnet and should be avoided at all costs.
Tor does something similar, but uses very strong encryption and does not sell anyone's bandwidth. Tor's software also does not grant anyone else access to the resources of the device that it's running on or make your device available to anyone else for any kind of misuse or abuse.
Finally, most of the supposedly free VPNs include features that most users will want to avoid. Things like injecting advertisements into your web browser traffic, using weak or even no encryption, selling your personal information or detailed logs of your internet activities to third parties of their choosing, and even installing unwanted software on your devices, like adware, viruses, trojans, botnet clients, and other forms of malware.
⭐How do I use the Netflix iOS app with a VPN?
As you may know, Netflix has implemented an overseas VPN ban that prevents users abroad from accessing US, UK, and Canadian content through the Netflix iOS app. While there are a few VPNs that are not affected by this ban, only three on our list are compatible with the Netflix app on iOS devices: ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, and NordVPN.
- 1 The best VPNs for iPad
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 2. NordVPN
- 4 3. Surfshark
- 5 4. CyberGhost
- 6 5. IPVanish
- 7 6. VyprVPN
- 8 How to setup a VPN on iPad
- 9 What to do when there is no iOS app
- 10 How to connect several Apple devices to the VPN at the same time
- 11 Best VPN for iPad FAQ
- 12 Why do I need a VPN for my iPad?
- 13 Can I use a free VPN for iPad or iOS devices?
- 14 How do I use the Netflix iOS app with a VPN?