People traveling to Denmark or living there can benefit from a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN helps you keep your internet habits private. It also lets you torrent safely, and access geo-restricted services like US Netflix.
If you need to travel abroad, a VPN can access everything from back home, including Netflix Denmark and local channels like DR1 and Viasat Sport. It even lets you use region-locked online banking from Danske and Nordea.
VPN software sets up an encrypted tunnel that routes your internet traffic to an intermediary server of your choice. This prevents websites from knowing where you are and prevents ISPs and local network providers from tracking what you are doing.
As a result, a VPN can grant you access to geo-restricted content that’s not normally available in Denmark, including foreign streaming platforms. Best of all, VPN encryption protects you from wifi hackers and stops government agencies placing you under surveillance.
Not all VPNs are secure or reliable, and some are a total rip-off. To help you out, we have curated this list of the top VPNs for Denmark. Below, you can see a quick list of the best options; scroll down for more information.
The best VPNs for Denmark:
- NordVPN: Our top recommendation for Denmark. Great speeds and security. Streams are high-quality and reliable. Easy to use and a huge server network. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly with quick and reliable connections. Offers a blend of security and streaming ability. Lets users secure any number of devices simultaneously.
- ExpressVPN: Robust security, works with most major streaming sites like Netflix, and fast speeds. Reliable streaming and easy-to-use apps.
- CyberGhost: Speed and reliability at a low cost. Great for unblocking geo-restricted streaming sites. Easy to install and get started.
- IPVanish: Great for Kodi users that need a lightweight, remote-control friendly solution. High-grade security and good speeds.
- PrivateVPN: No-logs VPN with a small but growing network. Gaining a reputation for unblocking a whole range of popular streaming sites.
- Atlas VPN: A fast, reliable, and security-conscious VPN with great streaming potential and no connection limits.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Denmark with no restrictions for a full month. This makes it perfect for anyone looking to improve their digital privacy during a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for Denmark
VPN services are a dime a dozen these days but don’t make the mistake of putting them all in one category. To make our list of the best VPNs for Denmark, providers have to meet the following standards:
- Has a wide network of servers across the world, including options in Denmark
- Unblocks geo-restricted streaming services fairly easily
- Offers a fast and reliable product with minimal downtime
- Uses stringent encryption parameters so your location remains hidden
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides top-notch customer support
Read more on our methodology and how we test VPNs below in this article.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Denmark:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN thrives on a privacy-focused reputation due to a true zero-logs policy. The provider runs a network of over 5,000 servers spanning 60 countries, with Denmark hosting 70+. It’s a hassle-free process to connect to a server either in the Scandinavian country or any others in Europe, North America, and the rest of the world.
NordVPN has a strong tilt towards media streaming. It easily works with sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, ESPN, Sky, Sling TV, and more. This provider offers a bunch of customizable options. Users can select servers optimized for certain features including streaming HD video, double VPN, and Tor over VPN.
NordVPN does not store any user data — that’s the zero-logs policy we referred to earlier, so we don’t envisage any concerns on the privacy front. Security standards are top-notch — NordVPN uses 256-bit encryption, the OpenVPN protocol, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Its servers have been confiscated on a couple of occasions but there was nothing incriminating on them that could identify users.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and MacOS. A basic plan allows for six devices to connect concurrently.
- Operates over 70 servers in Denmark
- Very high speeds
- Default security settings and privacy considerations are above standard
- Up to 6 devices can be connected at the same time
- Around-the-clock live chat available
- Can connect to a server location but not to a specific server
BEST VPN FOR DENMARK:NordVPN is our #1 choice. Great speeds, a large range of servers including some in Denmark, and the ability to access most streaming services. Great privacy and security credentials. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a versatile service with more than 3,200 servers in 65 countries, Denmark included. This makes it a solid choice regardless of whether you want to watch BBC iPlayer, DR1, or Netflix. Additionally, with fast speeds and no connection limits, you’ll be able to stream live HD video without any buffering, from any device you like.
This VPN follows a strict no-logs policy, which means it can’t divulge details of your activities, even if put under legal pressure. Further, it allows you to pay in Bitcoin, Ripple, or Ethereum. There are even special multi-hop servers that route your data multiple times for even more privacy.
With 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, this service keeps your activities hidden from snoopers. That’s not all: it also includes a combined ad-blocker and malware-scanner, plus a NoBorders mode that helps you bypass especially strict geo-blocking.
Surfshark comes with easy-to-use apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It also works with select internet routers but you’ll need to configure it manually first.
- Fast enough for almost any purpose
- Works with all but the most stubborn region-locked services
- Packed with powerful security tools
- No-logs policy
- No limit on the number of devices you can connect
- Smaller network than others in this list
BEST VALUE VPN :Surfsharkis our budget pick. Lots of features but its apps are easy to use, even if you’re new to VPNs. Thanks to its steady speeds, lack of a connection limit, and strong unblocking ability, there aren’t really any limits on what you can do. This low-cost VPN also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a consumer favorite due to its military-grade encryption standards, fast speeds, and a global server network in 94 countries.
This provider offers more than 3,000 servers to choose from, including options in Denmark. It’s based in the British Virgin Islands and isn’t subject to state-mandated data retention laws. In case you were wondering, the British Virgin Islands is an independent country and doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction of the UK.
ExpressVPN reliably works with a variety of streaming media services, including US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. If you’re stuck, its live chat service will provide instant support.
For security, you get 256-bit AES encryption. Additional security features include an internet kill switch as well as DNS leak protection, so your information always remains secure no matter what you do.
This provider never stores identifying logs or your IP address, and it has easy-to-use apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. A single subscription allows for five simultaneous connections.
- Operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including fast Danish servers
- Super fast servers
- Best-in-class encryption makes for solid security and privacy
- Live chat support 24/7
- Not the cheapest option here without a coupon
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced functionality
TOP-NOTCH SECURITY:ExpressVPN makes it easy to browse safely in Denmark. Optimized for high-speed connections. Excellent for Netflix and most other streaming sites. Hard to beat on privacy and security. There is a 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee with every plan.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost currently hosts more than 7,200 in 90+ countries. This includes Denmark, where there are almost 70 servers to choose from. This VPN has a specific tilt towards streaming; its app features clearly-labeled servers designed for providing secure access to platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
This provider has invested in upping the ante when it comes to security and encryption protocols. At the moment, it offers WireGuard support, 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection.
CyberGhost is headquartered in Romania and is not required to store any user data. It adheres to an internal policy of not logging any IP addresses or other user data that points to specific web activity. Additional security features include an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking.
You can access the service on Android, iOS, Windows, or MacOS. At the moment, a single subscription allows for seven devices to connect concurrently.
- Operates over 7,000 servers around the globe in 90+ countries, including almost 70 in Denmark
- Works well with Kodi, can select servers based on site you want to unblock
- Perfect for streaming
- Some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested
- Apps are simple to use, but lack advanced options for power users
- Doesn’t work in places like the UAE
BEGINNERS' CHOICE:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Works well in Denmark. Good option if you are looking for a fast, reliable connection and an easy-to-use interface. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is best known for its fast speeds and impeccable service. This provider currently offers over 1,900 servers spread across 60+ countries including around a dozen in Copenhagen, Denmark’s capital city.
IPVanish is headquartered in the US. This may cause concern among some users given how agencies like the NSA operate with seeming impunity. But there’s a couple of factors that should allay these concerns. Firstly, IPVanish is one of the few VPN providers that choose to operate its entire network of servers independently, rather than renting or outsourcing. This gives it complete control over the traffic flowing through servers. An additional factor is that the company doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, so there’s no mechanism by which they can be uncovered in the first place.
IPVanish is a known favorite with torrenters and Kodi users because it enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse. It works with several streaming media sites such as BBC iPlayer.
Strong encryption protocols are par for the course. Specifically, IPVanish secures all connections with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. This means your real IP address will not be uncovered. Similar to NordVPN, IPVanish adheres to a no-logs policy, meaning there’s no retention of traffic or connection logs.
This provider allows for unlimited simultaneous connections. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat for customer support in case you run into issues.
- Operates around a dozen fast servers in Copenhagen that are great for HD streaming abroad
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Apps don’t work in China
- Doesn’t work with as many streaming services as its rivals
FAST AND RELIABLE:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Uncongested network achieves good speeds. Strong security and privacy features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a smaller provider, but one that’s well worth your time. In our user review, we noticed that it consistently displayed fast, robust speeds and an ability to securely access major streaming platforms with ease. The provider is so confident about its core product that it’s currently offering a 30-day money-back guarantee on all packages.
PrivateVPN’s server network is relatively tiny, with around 200 servers in 63 countries. Denmark is included, so you won’t be locked out if your aim is to acquire a Danish IP address. But we wouldn’t be recommending the VPN if it wasn’t worth the money you’re paying for — it refrains from logging user data, includes support for torrenting, and offers unlimited bandwidth for HD video streams on all packages.
Strong security and privacy features are included. Users can choose between 128 and 256-bit encryption and the service provides perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A basic plan allows for 10 devices to connect simultaneously.
The provider offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Operates fast servers in Copenhagen, great for streaming while abroad
- They log no personally identifiable information on their users
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Live chat is not around the clock
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Works well in Denmark and allows up to 10 devices on the same account. Fast connections but could do with having more servers to chose from. Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN has around 750 servers in 45 countries, Denmark included. This service is particularly fast, meaning it’s ideal for video calling, streaming, or torrenting safely as you travel. It even works with platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video, so there really isn’t much it can’t do. Best of all, there’s no limit on the number of devices you can connect.
It includes a ton of security features too. There’s 256-bit encryption, for instance, plus DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch. In fact, Atlas VPN can even swap your IP address periodically and let you know if your data has been leaked online. If you run into any problems, just get in touch using the 24/7 live chat service.
Atlas VPN apps are available for iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows. However, there’s currently no support for Linux or routers.
- Performs well with most streaming services
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- Faster than many of its rivals
- No connection limit
- No Linux or router support
- Have to email staff to cancel
EXTREMELY VERSATILE:AtlasVPN is a solid choice, no matter the task. It’s fast, has plenty of Danish servers to choose from, and takes security very seriously. Not only that, but it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Our methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Denmark
If you’re browsing from Denmark, you’re quite fortunate in that you don’t need to worry about strict online censorship. However, you still have to contend with geographic restrictions. Furthermore, you may be suffering from bandwidth throttling. You may even be worried about your online security. Our methodology for finding the best VPNs for Denmark takes all of this into account.
- Servers globally: Many people use VPNs in order to access geo-restricted content. It’s therefore important that a VPN has servers in dozens of countries around the world such as the US, UK, Australia, and Denmark. That way, you can easily change your IP address and unblock your favorite websites and services.
- Speed: Whether you’re browsing, streaming, or torrenting, it’s frustrating having to put up with slow, throttled connections. This post covers only the fastest VPNs for lag and buffer-free streaming. What’s more, all of them offer unlimited bandwidth which means there’s absolutely no restriction on what you do online.
- Unblocking: Some websites are tougher to unblock than others. This is particularly the case with streaming services such as Netflix. We’ve tested the aforementioned VPNs to make sure they unblock a wide range of popular websites and services. This makes them ideal for use anywhere such as when traveling abroad.
- Security: There’s no need to compromise on security. A VPN should encrypt your internet traffic and protect you from leaks. This makes it nearly impossible for hackers to steal your data. Look for those VPNs in this post that also offer Double VPN servers if you’d like to have an extra layer of encryption for maximum security.
- Privacy: Any decent VPN should, at the very least, not keep identifying logs of users. This means that even if data is requested by authorities, there won’t be anything to provide. Aside from a no-logs policy, some VPNs even let you sign up and pay anonymously in Bitcoin. Note that we’ve analyzed some 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: What good is a VPN if it’s too complicated to use? All of the VPNs we recommend provide user-friendly apps that let you connect to a server in seconds. We also think it helps if 24/7 support is available via live chat and email. The VPNs also provide troubleshooting guides, FAQs, setup instructions, and more.
- Value for money: A VPN shouldn’t set you back much. After all, there are so many VPNs on the market that are all competing for your custom. The advantage of this is that you can find some great deals. This is particularly the case with the best VPNs for Denmark which include discount coupons for you to make an extra saving!
While we look for all of the above in the VPNs we recommend, it’s just part of our VPN testing methodology. In testing each VPN extensively for ourselves, we’re able to provide you with the latest, most accurate information available.
Why should I use a VPN in Denmark?
Contrary to its perception as a liberal, first-world state that guarantees fundamental human rights, Denmark has actually been flirting with various degrees of internet surveillance and content blockage. Draft laws were initially introduced in parliament in 2017, under the guise of combating online fundamentalism and extremism.
But the draft presented to lawmakers actually took a very broad view on website blockage. Authorities were mandated to proceed with filtering access if they thought there was any violation of the Danish penal code, as opposed to just content that could reliably be labeled as incitement to violence.
Danish authorities have also expressed their desire to engage in widespread online surveillance via internet session logging. The practice was in place until 2014, and only scrapped after pressure from rights activists. In 2016, Danish Justice Minister Soren Pind said “logging is a very essential tool for the police and PET [the Danish Security and Intelligence Service]. Therefore we need to have up-to-date logging rules, which we don’t today.”
Torrenting also sits in a legal grey area in Denmark. Technically, you’re not allowed to download copyrighted content but the rules aren’t enforced strictly.
To maintain online privacy and anonymity we recommend that you use a VPN to browse the internet in Denmark.
Denmark VPN FAQs
Are VPNs legal in Denmark?
Yes, VPNs are legal in Denmark. In fact, VPNs are legal in most countries with just a few exceptions such as Belarus, China, and Iran. Keep in mind that illegal activities are still illegal regardless of whether a VPN is being used or not.
Disclaimer: we've researched this topic extensively but are not experts on Danish digital privacy law. Nothing we've said should be considered legal advice; we recommend you do your own research before using a VPN in Denmark.
Does NordVPN have servers in Copenhagen?
NordVPN has some 70+ servers in Denmark at the time of writing, all of which are located in the city of Copenhagen. If you live in Copenhagen, you’ll therefore be able to enjoy faster speeds due to the close proximity of the servers. Furthermore, you’ll be able to get a Copenhagen IP address and then access geo-restricted content while traveling abroad.
Do I need a VPN if I travel to Denmark?
We recommend you use a VPN regardless of your location. So yes, you should use a VPN if traveling to Denmark. After all, you may wish to continue accessing your usual websites and services from home, some of which will be region-locked. This includes streaming services, news sites, and online banking services. A VPN also keeps you safe online which is particularly important if you’re using unsecure public wifi hotspots.
Can I watch Danish TV abroad with a VPN?
Thousands of Danish citizens reside outside their country either for work or education. For those, a Danish IP address is useful as it allows them to stay in touch with local television and watch events like the Danish football league.
Danish television offers all sorts of programming, including news, entertainment, and sports. Some of the popular channels are DR1, DR2, Viasat Sport, and SBS Net. Some offer live streaming online; state providers will accept IP addresses from any part of the world, but others geo-restrict services to those with a Danish IP address. As such, you will need a VPN to access these from outside Denmark.
Should I use a free VPN for Denmark?
There’s a very high probability that you will stumble across free VPN services as you search for a suitable provider. They’re heavily advertised across the internet and come with tempting call-to-actions, such as the ability to sign up without a credit card or any payment details. However, that’s usually as good as it gets.
Such providers will try to monetize their service via invasive advertisements or constant interruptions in their quest to force you to upgrade to a paid service. We don’t know of any free VPNs that offer the same user experience as the premium providers mentioned on this list. On a practical level, this means you are likely to be subjected to weak encryption standards, bandwidth throttling, and the choice of only one or two servers. Free VPNs are not recommended for data-intensive tasks like streaming video, playing online games, and accessing banking and financial services.
Free VPN providers have a lurid history of leveraging user bandwidth to build botnet armies and infecting host devices with malware in order to mine data. That’s an additional reason to opt-out; the end cost of using these services can be damaging to your wallet and peace of mind.