If you want to access your home Danish services or content while traveling abroad, you can, but you’ll need a Denmark IP address. This is easy to get with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
VPNs are a useful tool as they enable you to spoof your location so it appears as though you’re actually located somewhere else. Most geo-blocked sites only check the user’s IP address to see where they’re accessing the service from, but VPNs give you a new, region-specific IP address every time you connect, enabling you to access whatever content you want, no matter where in the world you’re located.
We cover a lot of detail on each of the providers below, but in case you are short of time, here is our list of the best VPNs for getting a Danish IP address:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for getting an IP address for Denmark! Veteran provider with top marks for security and privacy. Plenty of servers to choose from.
- Surfshark: The best budget option. Unlimited simultaneous devices and easy-to-use apps for the whole family.
- ExpressVPN: Fast network of super-fast servers, great for streaming content. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: Good value package with easy-to-use apps and some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested.
- IPVanish: Fast and reliable connections. Allows up to 10-devices to be connected on one account.
- Hotspot Shield: Good server speeds with servers in 80 countries, Denmark included. Highly secure with encryption and auto wifi protection. 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: Newer network with fewer servers than other providers here, but makes up for it with fast streaming and downloading speeds.
GET A PAID VPN FREE: If you only need a VPN for a short time (perhaps if you’re going abroad on vacation), you can take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. While you do have to pay upfront, you can cancel at any point during this period to claim a full refund, effectively giving you free VPN coverage for up to a month.
The best VPNs for getting a Denmark IP address
To find the best VPNs for getting an IP address from Denmark, we considered only those that met the following criteria:
- Offers at least one Danish server although the more available, the better
- Provides consistent, high-speed connections
- Uses powerful encryption and offers various additional security features
- Has apps for all of the most popular operating systems
- Do not log any information that could identify you.
You can find more information about our VPN testing methodology later in the article. For now, here are our reviews of the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Denmark:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has one of the largest networks of any major VPN. There are more than 5,000 high-speed servers throughout 60 countries worldwide, and 70+ P2P-enabled servers in Denmark alone. This VPN works with a huge range of services, including notoriously stubborn platforms like BBC iPlayer. Additionally, it permits up to six simultaneous connections, allowing you to browse safely from any of your devices without worrying about leaving another unprotected.
This service keeps you safe with 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, a malware scanner, an ad-blocker, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, port forwarding, and DNS leaks. It’s even possible to access Tor over VPN or use two VPNs simultaneously. NordVPN does not log any information that could identify you and allows users to pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity. Customer support is available 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN has apps for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on select network routers.
- Strong reputation for privacy
- Fast speeds and excellent unblocking
- Numerous advanced security features
- Anonymous registration possible
- Slightly longer connection times for some servers
BEST VPN FOR DENMARK:NordVPN is our first choice Boasts high speeds, exceptional unblocking ability, and a wide array of advanced security options. A risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a fantastic choice for anyone hoping to get a Danish IP address on a budget. In fact, with 3,200+ servers in more than 60 countries, you should be able to securely access services from all over the world, not just Denmark. This provider is known for its extremely high speeds and is one of the few that allows you to secure as many devices as you like.
We’re big fans of VPNs that go the extra mile on security and Surfshark definitely qualifies. It boasts 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection, plus automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning. Users can even turn on the NoBorders mode to browse without restrictions in countries like China. Surfshark follows a true no-logs policy, which means it can’t reveal details of your activities even in the face of legal pressure. Live chat-based support is available around the clock in case of any issues. Surfshark has its own iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, and Linux apps. Certain wireless routers are supported too, but you’ll have to configure these manually.
- Faster than any other VPN we’ve tested
- Works great with most streaming services
- Packed with cutting-edge security features
- Doesn’t keep any logs at all
- Protect all your devices at once
- Can be tricky finding out which submenu a specific option is in
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our top budget option. It’s fast, reliable, and quickly becoming a major player in the industry thanks to its strong security offering. Better still, this VPN has no connection limit and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers access to more than 3,000 servers spanning 94 countries (including Denmark). This service is fast enough to stream live, high-definition video with no noticeable buffering, and can reliably bypass geo-blocking on platforms like Amazon Prime Video and DRTV. There are no bandwidth restrictions, and torrenting is allowed on every server.
This VPN includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch in desktop versions, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Although ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, it’s still possible to sign up anonymously by paying with Bitcoin and using a throwaway email address. 24/7 live chat is available in case of any issues.
ExpressVPN offers Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS apps. There’s even custom firmware to make installing it on a router as straightforward as possible.
- Great for unblocking and streaming in HD speeds
- Very high speeds
- Strong security options
- Wide server network
- Excellent multi-platform support
- Slightly more expensive than other providers
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a solid choice. It’s fast, secure, and able to securely access numerous popular geo-blocked sites and services abroad. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee too!
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a fast, easy-to-use VPN with more than 7,000 servers across 60 countries, including Denmark. It’s capable of easily bypassing regional restrictions on popular streaming platforms and allows up to seven simultaneous connections meaning you can watch whatever you like, on whichever device you like.
Despite its user-friendly aesthetic, CyberGhost takes your privacy seriously. It comes with 256-bit encryption, an always-on kill switch (in every version), DNS and IPv6 leak protection, an ad-blocker, and automatic malware-scanning. CyberGhost does not log any information that could identify you but you can sign up anonymously with Bitcoin if you’d prefer. You can reach customer support 24/7 via live chat in case of any problems.
CyberGhost apps are available for macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. It works via manual installation with Linux systems and select wireless routers.
- Ideal for novice users
- High-speed connections
- Good range of security features
- Kill switch in every version
- Lack of advanced options might be an issue for power users
SIMPLE, SECURE STREAMING:CyberGhost is a fast service with a wide network, no-fuss unblocking, and a wealth of security options built in. It also includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has around a dozen Danish servers and over 1,900 others spread across more than 75 worldwide locations. This VPN is ideal for streaming: it offers very high speeds, lightweight apps for numerous platforms, and any number of simultaneous connections. By comparison, most other VPNs allow around five, so IPVanish is particularly generous in this regard.
This VPN keeps your activities private at all times with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in desktop versions), and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. If you’re looking for added security, you can obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, block LAN traffic entirely, and swap IP addresses periodically. Additionally, IPVanish logs no personally identifiable information, so you don’t have to worry about your activities being traced back to you. Customer support is available 24/7 over live chat.
IPVanish apps can be downloaded for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, and Amazon Fire devices. It can be manually configured for use on Linux systems and select internet routers.
- Fast enough for flawless HD streaming
- Advanced security features
- Any number of connections permitted
- Struggles to unblock some popular services
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish’s strong multi-platform support and lack of a connection limit make it ideal for securing every device you own. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield offers servers not only in Denmark but a total of 80 countries worldwide. This makes it highly suitable for unblocking content while traveling abroad. It works well with popular streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Furthermore, it provides good, consistent speeds (it’s one of the fastest VPNs tested) so you can stream without having to worry about buffering or lag.
With a single Hotspot Shield account, you can connect up to five devices at once. You’ll also have access to live chat and email support which is available 24 hours a day. Security-wise, Hotspot Shield checks every box. It offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Just as important, it doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user, so you can browse with your privacy intact.
You’ll find Hotspot Shield apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Apps are also offered for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV, as is a browser extension for Chrome. Compatible routers can be configured manually.
- Servers in 80 countries including Denmark
- Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Lots of security features including auto wifi protection
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- No option of anonymous payment (such as Bitcoin)
- Doesn’t yet offer a browser extension for Firefox
IDEAL FOR STREAMING:Hotspot Shield offers fast, unthrottled connections and servers in 80 countries including Denmark. Lots of security features including encryption and auto wifi protection. 24-hour support. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its rivals, but it offers faster-than-average speeds and is able to securely access a huge range of geo-blocked services, including Netflix Denmark from abroad. Further, with up to six simultaneous connections allowed, you can use it to protect all of your most commonly used devices at once.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks to keep your activities private at all times. It’s possible to pay with Bitcoin, but PrivateVPN has a no-logging policy and as such, can’t divulge details of your activities, even when under legal pressure. Although there’s no live chat, customer support can install and configure the software remotely for you, if you’d like.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. Manual installation is required for Linux-based platforms and supported routers.
- Higher speeds than most of its competitors
- Keeps no logs
- Good streaming capability
- Fairly small network
- Doesn’t offer support over live chat
IDEAL FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is fast, privacy-conscious, and great at unblocking geo-locked platforms. It even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of PrivateVPN.
How to get a Danish IP address
Once you have a VPN, it’s extremely simple to get an IP address from Denmark.
Here’s how to get a Danish IP address:
- First of all, sign up for a suitable VPN service (we recommend NordVPN).
- Install the VPN software, taking care to get the relevant app for your operating system.
- Connect to any of your provider’s Danish servers.
- Try accessing a geo-blocked Danish service. It should load almost instantly, but if not, clear your cookies and cache, then refresh the page.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for a Danish IP address
When we’re researching the best VPNs for getting a Danish IP address, there are a few key things we need to look at. For instance, we have to make sure that a service actually has servers in Denmark, and that they’re fast enough for day-to-day tasks like streaming and torrenting. Here’s a quick rundown of the main things we require from the VPNs we recommend:
- Danish servers: These are required to get an IP address from Denmark. Generally, the more there are, the more reliable your speeds and connection will be.
- High speeds: It’s no use getting connected if your speeds are too slow to actually do anything. That’s why we made sure that all of the VPNs above are fast enough for HD live streaming, video calling, torrenting, and online gaming.
- Strong streaming abilities: If you’re trying to get a Danish IP address, it’s likely you’re looking to stream. Our international team tests each VPN with platforms like DRTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video to see how they fare.
- Powerful security tools: At a minimum, we look for 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. We prefer VPNs that go even further, though — some of those above even have their own connection protocols and obfuscation features.
- A no-logs policy: Your privacy should never be in doubt. That’s why we won’t recommend VPNs that log personally identifiable data.
- Fair pricing: We regularly compare providers’ prices to those of similarly-featured rivals to make sure they’re not charging more than they’re worth. We also look into any available discounts, trials, or guarantees to ensure you never pay more than you have to.
- User-friendly apps: Our top VPNs must be easy enough for a complete beginner to use. Anything that makes the experience even smoother, such as a lack of connection limits or live chat support, is extremely welcome.
This is actually just one small part of our larger testing strategy. Why not read our in-depth guide to how we test VPNs at Comparitech?
Danish IP Address FAQs
Can I get a Danish IP address with a free VPN?
Free VPNs might seem like an easy way to protect yourself online but we advise against using one for several reasons. Firstly, it’s unlikely they’ll even offer Danish servers. Secondly, these services almost always have fewer servers than their paid counterparts, yet more users. This leads to major network slowdown, making casual browsing frustrating and streaming near impossible. Additionally, free VPNs are usually the first to be blocked by streaming platforms, so there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to access your chosen site in the first place.
Finally, there’s no easy way to tell if you’re using a legitimate service or not. Recent research showed that out of 283 tested free VPNs, almost 40% contained malware. Perhaps more worryingly, 18% never encrypted user traffic at all, and over 80% leaked personal information. Larger companies aren’t necessarily any safer, either; in 2016, Hola infamously sold user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
See also: Best VPNs for Denmark
Can I watch Danish TV from abroad with a VPN?
If you’re connected to a Danish VPN server, most streaming services won’t be able to tell that you’re actually located elsewhere. As such, you can use a VPN to stream content on platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, and DRTV no matter where you are in the world.
It’s worth noting that some services verify your location in other ways. For instance, some might require you to have a cell phone number from a particular country, or might only accept payment methods linked to a local address. This means that if you usually live in the required country, you can still sign up and watch from abroad, but foreign users usually won’t be able to register at all.
Why else might I need an IP address from Denmark?
All kinds of services use automated alerts these days. Most of the time, these serve as an early warning system in case your account is accessed from abroad without your knowledge. However, if you try to log in to internet banking when on vacation, you could find yourself unable to access your funds without verifying your identity. By connecting to a VPN beforehand, though, you greatly reduce the risk of triggering these alerts and should be able to use your service as normal.
If you’re on vacation, you’re far more likely to use public wifi networks. However, these are notoriously insecure and could be monitored by any number of different organizations. Your VPN’s encryption protects you from this kind of snooping, and because your activities are routed through servers elsewhere in the world, you can visit Danish sites that are freely accessible in Denmark but blocked in the country you’re currently in.
Internet restrictions in Denmark
Denmark has relatively few internet restrictions and only blocks access to sites that offer drugs, illegal pornography, unlicensed gambling (including those that allow users to wager character skins for online games), or copyrighted material. In 2008, WikiLeaks revealed that around 3,000 such websites are blocked in Denmark. Comparitech does not provide legal advice, and you should remember that even while using a VPN, illegal activity is still illegal. If you’re unsure, we recommend that you conduct your own research.