By using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) while in Turkmenistan, you can unblock online content and browse the internet without restriction. Furthermore, your internet traffic is encrypted, securing it from hackers as well as snoopers (such as the government). The best VPNs for Turkmenistan also operate strict no-logs policies. With such security features, you’ll be able to browse and stream anonymously at all times.
No matter your location, you can encounter websites and services that are region-locked due to copyright. However, on top of this, Turkmenistan is a repressive authoritarian state. As such, internet users in the country have to contend with a high level of online censorship. The state-run ISP blocks independent news coverage as well as social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Extensive state surveillance means little to no privacy or anonymity.
Need to make a quick decision? Below is a short summary of the best VPNs for Turkmenistan (if you have any doubts, simply refer to the full reviews of each further down in this post).
Best VPN for Turkmenistan:
- NordVPN:The best VPN for Turkmenistan. Over 5,500 servers and fast speeds for streaming. P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs VPN with 24/7 live chat and email support. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN for Turkmenistan. Unlimited bandwidth and unlimited simultaneous connections. 24/7 support available. Double VPN servers for extra security in Turkmenistan.
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN we’ve tested. Servers in 94 countries. User-friendly apps and 24/7 support. Secures data with encryption and doesn’t keep identifying logs of users.
- CyberGhost: Nearly 7,000 servers in around 90 countries. Unthrottled bandwidth for unlimited streaming in Turkmenistan. Includes a strict no-logs policy and 24/7 support.
- IPVanish: Connect all of your devices simultaneously. Good speeds for browsing and streaming from Turkmenistan. Uses encryption and operates a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds and reliable unblocking. Servers in dozens of countries. Secure browsing in Turkmenistan thanks to encryption and a strict no-logs policy.
- Hotspot Shield: 3,000 servers in 80 countries. Stream Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix US from Turkmenistan. Includes 24/7 support and uses high-end encryption.
Scouring the internet for a quality VPN service for Turkmenistan could take you a lot of time. We’ve done the hard work for you by only recommending quality services that can provide the most important features for anyone in Turkmenistan. Every VPN on this list offers the following:
- Servers around the world
- Fast speeds
- High-end encryption
- No-logs policy
- Helpful customer support
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
We explain these criteria further in our VPN testing methodology below.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Turkmenistan with no restrictions for a month - great if you need time to fully test it out before committing.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Turkmenistan
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Turkmenistan:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for use in Turkmenistan. Overall, its network is made up of nearly 5,500 servers which you’ll find in almost 60 countries. You’ll be able to use this VPN to access a wide range of content, be it a streaming service such as Netflix or a social media platform like Facebook. NordVPN provides fast server speeds (an average download speed of 115 Mbps in testing) as well as unlimited bandwidth for stress-free browsing, streaming, and torrenting.
When using the NordVPN apps, you’ll encounter Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers which offer an extra layer of encryption, shielding you from government surveillance. Indeed, there’s no shortage of security features with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Since September 2020, NordVPN servers are running on diskless RAM servers. As such, no data is stored locally. Furthermore, NordVPN operates a strict no-logs policy. There’s also 24/7 support and the option to connect up to six devices at once.
A NordVPN account includes access to apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for both Chrome and Firefox. This VPN also works with select routers but it’s worth keeping in mind that manual setup is required.
- Large network of 5,500 servers in nearly 60 countries worldwide
- Bypass censorship and access Netflix, Facebook, and more
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers for extra security
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat as well as email
- Connect up to six of your devices at the same time
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR TURKMENISTAN:NordVPN is our top choice for users in Turkmenistan. It offers roughly 5,500 servers. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers available. Includes 24/7 support and operates a strict no-logs policy. Thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it out risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget pick. It’s a strong all-rounder with a large server network (3,200 in 65 countries at the time of writing), fast speeds, and reliable unblocking. Averaging 71 Mbps in our tests, it’s one of the faster VPNs around. Unlike many ISPs (and even some VPNs), it won’t throttle your bandwidth. You can expect to be able to use Surfshark with Netflix and BBC iPlayer as well as Facebook and Twitter, even in places like Turkmenistan.
This VPN has plenty of great features including unlimited simultaneous connections per account. It’s also now fully compatible with the Apple M1 chip, offering MacBook users longer battery life than before. You’ll have access to 24/7 live chat and email support while Double VPN servers encrypt your data twice to ensure your online security in Turkmenistan. A strictly no-logs service, Surfshark uses 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protects from DNS and IPv6 leaks.
With Surfshark, you’ll be able to download apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. To use this VPN with your wireless router, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions.
- Growing network of 3,000 servers in 65 countries
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Unblock and stream the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Double VPN servers encrypt your data twice
- Includes 24/7 live chat and email support
- Not quite as fast as ExpressVPN and NordVPN
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark unblocks Netflix, Twitter, and more with its network of around 3,000 servers in 65 countries. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Anonymous browsing in Turkmenistan thanks to Double VPN servers. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested with an average global download speed of 135 Mbps. This makes it an excellent choice if you’re looking to stream and torrent from Turkmenistan. It also has a very large network of servers (approximately 3,000) in 94 countries — far more countries than most VPNs. As a result, you’ll be able to unblock most geo-restricted and censored content you’re likely to come across, including services like Netflix.
With ExpressVPN, you’ll have 24/7 access to live chat and email support. The apps are easy for beginners to use and let you connect up to five devices simultaneously. Crucially, this VPN doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. This means you can browse the web anonymously while in Turkmenistan. ExpressVPN offers comprehensive security in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch feature, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection.
If you sign up with ExpressVPN, you’ll have access to apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. If you prefer, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available, as is custom router firmware (ExpressVPN now offers a new interactive router setup guide to make this process even easier).
- Very fast server speeds for streaming and torrenting
- 3,000 servers across 94 countries for unblocking content worldwide
- Strong unblocking of streaming services and social media
- Excellent support available 24/7 via live chat and email
- High-end encryption keeps you safe while in Turkmenistan
- One of the more expensive VPNs available
FASTEST SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN around, making it ideal for browsing and streaming in Turkmenistan. Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Beginner-friendly apps and strong security with high-end encryption. Includes 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers the largest server network of any VPN in this post. With nearly 7,000 servers in 90 countries, it’s well placed to unblock almost any restricted website or service you’re likely to come across. This includes Netflix, Facebook, and YouTube. With CyberGhost, you can expect high-speed connections as well as unlimited bandwidth. As such, you’re unlikely to experience lag or buffering while streaming in Turkmenistan.
You’ll be able to use CyberGhost to secure up to seven of your devices at the same time. Furthermore, live chat and email support is available to users, 24/7. A strict no-logs VPN, CyberGhost keeps you safe from hackers and government snoopers with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. There’s also a free new feature called “CyberGhost ID Guard” which alerts you in the event of your email address being leaked in a data breach.
Connect to CyberGhost servers via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Manual configuration is necessary to use this VPN with your wifi router.
- More servers than any other VPN listed in this post (7,000 globally)
- High-speed connections combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Use it on up to seven devices at the same time
- Provides live chat and email support, 24/7
- Strict no-logs policy means your privacy is protected
- Like many VPNs, it doesn’t work in China
7,000+ SERVERS:CyberGhost has a huge network CyberGhost has a huge network of approximately 7,000 servers in 90 countries. Unlimited bandwidth and works with Netflix US, Facebook, and more. Protects your privacy in Turkmenistan with its strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish stands out for allowing unlimited simultaneous connections per account. You’ll find that this VPN has over 1,600 servers in dozens of countries including the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Indeed, it offers over 40,000 IP addresses, allowing you to unblock restricted websites with ease. IPVanish provides good speeds and includes unlimited bandwidth. In fact, a 2021 network expansion means server speeds will be faster than ever before.
This VPN operates a zero-logs policy which means that none of your personal information is collected or shared (especially important in countries such as Turkmenistan). Internet traffic is secured with 256-bit AES encryption while further safeguards include DNS leak protection and a kill switch. It even owns and operates all of its own hardware. While the apps are easy to use, there’s 24/7 support via live chat and email should you need it.
You’ll find IPVanish apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. If you’d like to use IPVanish with Linux or your router, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Connect an unlimited number of devices per account
- Servers available in dozens of countries including the US
- Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming from Turkmenistan
- Secure thanks to encryption and a zero-logs policy
- Headquartered in the US — a Five Eyes member
- Comparatively slow response time to emails
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish lets you secure all of your devices simultaneously. Good speeds for streaming and torrenting in Turkmenistan. Includes 24/7 live chat support. Security includes encryption and a zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN offers the advantage of fast server speeds, allowing you to stream and torrent with ease. Indeed, unlimited bandwidth means you won’t experience much in the way of lag or buffering, even while streaming in 4K. While it has a smaller server network, it recently increased its number of servers from 150 to over 200. What’s more, PrivateVPN consistently unblocks streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. It also works well with social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks to PrivateVPN’s strict no-logs policy, only you know what you’re doing online. Whether you’re in Turkmenistan or traveling abroad, you’ll be able to browse securely because this VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption. You’ll also find a kill switch as well as protection from DNS leaks. By using a throwaway email and paying in Bitcoin, you can even sign up with PrivateVPN anonymously. Last but not least, live chat and email support are also available.
Secure up to six devices at once via the PrivateVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. This VPN provides manual setup instructions if you’d like to use it with your wireless router.
- Fast server speeds as well as unthrottled bandwidth
- Works well with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Twitter, and more
- Beginner-friendly apps and live chat support
- True no-logs policy so you can stay anonymous online
- Smaller network of servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is very fast and offers consistent unblocking of government-censored content in Turkmenistan. Beginner-friendly apps and live chat support. Strong security includes encryption and strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield lets you bypass geo-blocking and censorship with its network of roughly 1,800 servers. These servers are located in 80 countries which means you’ll be able to unblock most restricted content you happen to encounter. This VPN has servers in over two dozen US cities and, as a result, is particularly good with US-based streaming services, be it Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, or Hulu. Unlimited bandwidth is also included.
It only takes seconds to open and connect to Hotspot Shield. However, if you have any questions, you can always get in touch with the 24/7 support via live chat or email. The apps allow you to secure five devices at the same time. With 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, you’ll be safe while browsing from Turkmenistan. It also recently added support for IPSec connections. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified and also includes automatic wifi protection.
You can use Hotspot Shield via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Linux. Alternatively, a Chrome browser extension is available. Manual installation is required for use with compatible routers.
- Access servers in as many as 80 countries while in Turkmenistan
- Seamless streaming of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users
- Not the best privacy record
- No anonymous payment options
PUBLIC WI-FI SAFE:Hotspot Shield has servers in 80 countries for accessing restricted content. This includes streaming services and social networks such as Amazon Prime and YouTube. 24/7 support and automatic wifi protection. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to use a VPN in Turkmenistan
First time using a VPN? All of the VPNs recommended in this post are beginner-friendly and offer live chat and email support. Below, you’ll find a quick step-by-step guide to get you started.
Here’s how you can use a VPN in Turkmenistan:
- Sign up with one of the VPNs in this post. We particularly recommend NordVPN for use in Turkmenistan.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app for your browsing device. All of the above VPNs allow multiple simultaneous connections.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server. You’ll be assigned a different IP address for anonymous browsing.
- Go to the geo-restricted website or service. It should now be unblocked even if you’re browsing from Turkmenistan.
- Didn’t work? You may need to clear your cookies and reload your browser. Another potential fix is connecting to a different server. Otherwise, it’s a good idea to contact your VPN’s customer support as they may be able to provide further assistance.
While there are many VPN services on the market, a lot of them aren’t worth your time or money. After all, some offer poor unblocking while others lack security. We came up with our list of the best VPNs for Turkmenistan by looking for those that offer the following:
- Range of locations – servers in dozens of countries worldwide so you can unblock a wide range of content while abroad.
- Servers close to Turkmenistan – While not many VPNs will choose to run servers in Turkmenistan having a server nearby will help maximize speeds.
- Fast speeds – quality streaming requires fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. We run extensive speed tests to find the fastest VPNs.
- Strong security features – secures your data with high-end encryption to keep you safe online. Extra points for additional features such as kills switches.
- Privacy-first policies – no-logs policy that protects your privacy and ensures your activity is anonymous. We’ve read 100+ VPN logging policies as part of our research.
- Helpful customer support – customer support which is available via live chat and email so that if you do encounter issues you receive help straight away.
- Covers more than one device – allows multiple simultaneous connections to protect every device you own.
We reveal our full research process for finding and ranking VPNs in our How we test VPNs article.
Best VPNs for Turkmenistan: FAQs
Why do I need a VPN in Turkmenistan?
According to a Freedom in the World 2020 report by Freedom House, Turkmenistan is “not free”, with a score of just 2/100 (with 100 being the highest possible score). Described as a “repressive authoritarian state”, it has a state run ISP called Turkmentelecom. This blocks many different websites including independent news sites as well as social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. In fact, even some VPNs are blocked.
There is extensive state surveillance in Turkmenistan with authorities reportedly using software to listen to VoIP calls, operate webcams remotely, and record keystrokes. Those who are critical of the government face intimidation and imprisonment. It’s for these reasons that you need to use a VPN in Turkmenistan. The best VPNs for Turkmenistan encrypt your data so that the government can’t see what you’re doing online.
Can I use a free VPN in Turkmenistan?
No, free VPNs are almost completely useless in Turkmenistan. For starters, they’re very poor at unblocking content. That’s because their small server networks offer only a limited number of IP addresses, many of which are blocked by the state-run ISP. Note that many free VPNs are overloaded with users and may engage in bandwidth throttling. This results in slow speeds, making streaming and torrenting even more difficult.
However, it’s not just poor performance that makes free VPNs impractical in Turkmenistan. Their lack of security means you likely won’t be browsing anonymously. This is dangerous in a country such as Turkmenistan where internet users face imprisonment for speaking out against the government. Keep in mind that some VPNs log and sell your data. This makes it nearly impossible to browse anonymously while using a free VPN.
Are VPNs legal in Turkmenistan?
While it’s not entirely clear if VPNs are actually illegal in Turkmenistan, we do know that the government has actively blocked some VPN services in the country. Indeed, Turkmenistan only has one ISP which is government-owned. If you do use a VPN in Turkmenistan, it’s worth exercising a degree of caution.
Comparitech strongly recommends you research the appropriate local laws and restrictions before attempting to use a VPN in a foreign country.