A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts your traffic, hides your activities from snoopers, and prevents a hotspot owner from restricting which websites you can visit. These services can also stop your ISP from throttling your connection, which is why they’re popular with people who stream or torrent often.
Below, you’ll find brief descriptions of our top VPNs. If you’d like to learn more about any of them, just keep scrolling; we’ll discuss each in more detail a little later.
Best VPNs for Boston
- NordVPN: The #1 VPN for Boston. More US servers than any other provider in our list, as well as top-tier speed and security. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for Boston. With impressive speeds, no connection limit, and fantastic unblocking ability, this budget provider is suitable for almost any task imaginable.
- ExpressVPN: P2P-friendly VPN with great streaming capabilities. Offers plenty of fast and reliable US servers, including some in Boston.
- CyberGhost: A rare service that manages to provide strong security and incredible speeds while being very easy to use.
- IPVanish: Keeps no logs, works with a good range of geo-blocked services, and allows you to secure any number of devices simultaneously.
- PrivateVPN: A zero-logs provider with stellar privacy credentials. Offers steady speeds and the ability to bypass just about any kind of online restriction.
- Atlas VPN: A newer service that nonetheless boasts impressive speeds, unblocking ability, and a wide range of security tools.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Boston with no restrictions for a month. That means it’s perfect for any traveler looking to browse securely during their visit.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Since people use the internet in all kinds of ways, it can be difficult to find VPNs that are suitable for everyone. After all, they’ll have to balance speed, security, and unblocking ability (and it’s rare enough to find a VPN that excels in one of these categories). That’s not all we look for, either; the best VPNs for Boston must meet all of the criteria below:
- Has servers in or around Boston
- Offers consistently high speeds and stable connections
- Can reliably access popular geo-blocked services
- Keeps your traffic safe with powerful security and privacy tools
- Refuses to log any personally identifiable info
- Provides apps for all of the most common devices
Best VPN for Boston
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for Boston:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top VPN for Boston. It has one of the largest networks around, with more than 5,000 servers around the world, including some fairly close to Boston. This VPN excels at providing secure access to popular services like Netflix and boasts some of the highest speeds we’ve seen. Additionally, up to six devices can be connected simultaneously, so it’s great for sharing with family.
Security is another of this VPN’s strong points. Your traffic is kept private with a combination of 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a customizable kill switch. There are also special obfuscated servers designed to be near-undetectable in case you’d like to evade particularly strict online blocking. Additionally, NordVPN keeps no logs, so your activities can’t be revealed under any circumstances. Staff are on-hand 24/7 to help with any issues you might have.
NordVPN apps are available for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. Some routers are supported too but you’ll have to configure these manually.
- Great for streaming, P2P, or general browsing
- Very high speeds
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Huge network with lots of US servers
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- 24/7 live chat available
- Doesn’t have any servers in Boston itself
BEST VPN FOR BOSTON:NordVPN is the best service for Boston. It’s fast, reliable, and capable of handling whatever you throw at it, plus it follows a true no-logs policy. Better still, it includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it for yourself.
Why not read our full NordVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best budget option for Boston. It has over 3,200 servers in 90+ countries worldwide, with a cluster in Boston itself. These are fast enough for whatever you have in mind, and we’ve had no issues using platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max while connected. Surfshark is one of the few providers that doesn’t have a connection limit, making it ideal for anyone with lots of devices to protect.
This service has an ever-growing set of security and privacy features. There’s a stealth mode, tracker-blocker, and even a tool that rotates your IP address periodically. Naturally, Surfshark also offers 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, a zero-logs policy, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. Users can pay in Bitcoin, Ripple, or Ethereum for an almost completely anonymous signup. If you need help, just reach out, day or night, using the live chat service.
Surfshark has its own Windows, Android, MacOS, Linux, and iOS apps. You can also manually configure it for use with supported routers if you’d prefer.
- Quick and reliable servers in Boston
- Impressive security toolkit
- Lets you connect any number of devices
- User-friendly apps
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Some features require Surfshark One, a paid addon
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is the best budget VPN for Boston. With impressive speed, security, and streaming capabilities, there’s hardly anything it can’t do. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN hasover 3,000 servers spread across more than 90 countries worldwide. There are clusters in 16 US locations including New York, New Jersey, and Washington DC, so you can count on a low-latency connection no matter where you are. With a five-connection limit, fantastic unblocking ability, and consistently high speeds, this VPN is perfect for anyone who likes to stream on-the-go.
The main purpose of a VPN is to keep your activities private. This is something ExpressVPN does very well. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, plus it can’t be easily detected or blocked (just ask the Chinese government). Equally important, ExpressVPN refuses to log any data that could identify you. Support is available via email or a 24/7 live chat help desk.
ExpressVPN offers apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux. There’s also custom firmware for routers that can help you quickly and easily secure an entire network.
- 16 US locations to choose from
- Fast, versatile, and beginner-friendly
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, and more
- Keeps no traffic logs and accepts Bitcoin
- Has 24/7 live chat
- Cheaper options elsewhere in this list
- Streaming servers are not labeled
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is a great option for anyone in Boston. Thanks to its speedy servers nearby, you’ll be able to stream, torrent, or play games without worrying about who might be watching. This VPN even has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers access to more than 8,000 servers in 90+ countries. Of these, roughly 1,300 are spread across the US – that’s more than some VPNs have overall! This service clearly states which are best suited to each task, so there’s no guesswork involved when trying to find one that works with Netflix. CyberGhost is also extremely fast, so you shouldn’t notice any lag even when multiple people are sharing the same internet connection.
This VPN doesn’t need any setup since its 256-bit encryption, kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks are all enabled by default. If you’d like, you can switch between IKEv2, OpenVPN, and WireGuard protocols, or connect over a random port (if you’re having trouble connecting to certain networks with the VPN active). CyberGhost doesn’t keep any logs, which means your privacy is in good hands. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
CyberGhost provides Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS apps. Users can also manually configure most popular router firmware to work with this service.
- Ranked highly in our latest speeds
- Clearly-labeled servers for different tasks
- Great set of security tools
- Over a thousand US servers
- Parent company has a poor record on privacy
- Lacks some advance features
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:CyberGhost has industry-leading speeds and task-specific servers, which make for a frictionless, easy to use service. It’s also highly secure, with around the clock support. Best of all, this VPN offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our detailed review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is one of the few major VPN providers that owns its servers outright, which reduces the chance of outside interference. There are around 2,000 servers to choose from across 60+ countries, and roughly 80 in Boston itself. This service works with a good range of streaming platforms and supports P2P traffic, plus it allows you to secure as many devices as you like. Best of all, it recently improved its speeds and now sits close to the top of our leaderboard.
Users can take advantage of 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch (which stops sending data the moment your connection drops). While IPVanish supports the speedy, easily-audited WireGuard protocol, it also allows you to scramble OpenVPN connections, which might help you beat more stubborn VPN-detection systems. This VPN doesn’t keep any logs and offers 24/7 assistance over live chat.
IPVanish has its own iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows apps. Alternatively, you can follow manual setup instructions to get it running on supported Linux systems and routers.
- Speedy servers in Boston
- Highly versatile
- Takes user security seriously
- Works with many devices
- No anonymous payment options
- Doesn’t work in China
SOLID EVERYDAY VPN:IPVanish can help you stream Bruins matches, torrent anonymously, or bank safely during your trip to Boston. What’s more, this no-logs VPN can protect all of your devices simultaneously. Annual plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more info, read the full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network, with roughly 200 servers in 63 countries, but what it lacks in scale it makes up for in performance. We’ve seen this provider deliver impressive speeds and outperform many of its rivals when it comes to streaming ability. For example, PrivateVPN works with ESPN+, HBO Max, and Hulu, plus it can securely access multiple Netflix catalogs. It also has twice the connection limit of most services, with up to 10 permitted at a time.
This VPN doesn’t disappoint on privacy. As its own ISP and hosting provider, it has full control over your traffic, so third-party interference is near-impossible. The apps themselves include 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and leak protection, plus a stealth mode that can hide the fact that you’re using a VPN at all. PrivateVPN follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin payments. The support team is available 22 hours per day over live chat.
PrivateVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. Manual setup is required for use with routers or Linux systems.
- Works with most streaming services
- Impeccable privacy credentials
- No-logs VPN with a high connection limit
- Only has around a dozen US servers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
PRIVACY FIRST:PrivateVPN is perfect for anyone looking to enhance their digital privacy while traveling. It’s fast too, plus it goes undetected by all but the most stubborn websites. This highly-versatile service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our comprehensive PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN has a network of 750 servers in 42 locations including New Jersey and New York. Despite being a newer service, it already stands out thanks to its particularly high speeds and strong streaming potential. In fact, whether you’re looking to watch NFL, Netflix, or Hulu, Atlas VPN can help. With no bandwidth or connection limits, users are free to stream as much as they like across all of their devices.
This service has a great range of security tools built-in. To begin with, there’s a no-logs policy, uncrackable encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. However, Atlas VPN also offers SafeSwap servers that change your IP address as you browse the web. It’s also able to block trackers automatically and let you know if your details are found in a data breach. Users can contact customer support, day or night, using the free live chat service.
Atlas VPN apps are available for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS.
- Suitable for any day-to-day task
- Fast servers and strong security
- Secure every device you own
- No Linux or router support
- Could offer more customization
SPEED AND SECURITY:Atlas VPN blends cutting-edge security tools with top-tier performance to deliver a service that never fails to impress. No problems accessing popular geo-blocked sites. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Atlas VPN review.
How to secure your browsing in Boston with a VPN
Here’s how to keep your online activities hidden in Boston using a VPN:
- Begin by choosing one of the VPNs mentioned above (we recommend NordVPN)
- Next, install the app on your most-used devices. It’s fine if there are a few since most providers allow at least five simultaneous connections
- Log in and choose a suitable server. If you’re trying to access a region-locked service, you’ll need a server in a specific country, but otherwise, we’d recommend choosing whichever is closest, since these tend to offer the best performance
- That’s all there is to it – your data is now encrypted and hidden from anyone who might be watching. As such, hotspot owners can’t place limits on which sites you can visit, and your ISP can’t tell if you’re streaming or torrenting, which means they’re less likely to throttle your connection
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for Boston
There are a couple of major things to consider when shopping for a VPN. First, every provider configures their software differently. Second, a VPN that works for one person might not be the best suited to another. To find the best VPNs for Boston, we searched for services that met all of the criteria laid out below:
- Server locations: The closer your chosen server, the faster your connection usually is. For that reason, we prioritized VPNs with servers in Boston and nearby states like New York. We also considered the number of supported countries, which has a bearing on streaming ability.
- Performance: If your VPN is too slow, you’ll notice lag, random disconnection, and stuttering video. To prevent this, we’ve only recommended services that delivered impressive results in our latest VPN speed tests.
- Unblocking ability: Most geo-blocked services have some form of VPN-detection system. We don’t think you should have to compromise your privacy just to use a service you’re already paying for, which is why we look for VPNs that can go undetected by sites like Disney Plus, Prime Video, and fuboTV.
- Security and privacy: We’ll never recommend a VPN with subpar security. At a minimum, our top services must include a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, some form of leak protection, and a no-logs policy. Other tools, such as stealth modes, tracker-blocking, or automatic wifi protection are extremely welcome.
- Ease of use: The more user-friendly a service, the better. Some of the features we value are streamlined apps, 24/7 customer support, and task-specific servers.
If you’d like to learn more about how we test VPNs, take a look at our methodology post.
VPNs in Boston: Frequently Asked Questions
Are VPNs legal in Boston?
VPNs are legal in all 50 states, including Boston. That said, these services don’t give you a free pass to commit crimes online; if caught, you remain liable and could actually receive a harsher sentence for trying to cover your tracks. Still, as long as you don’t do anything illegal, there’s no reason you should find yourself in any trouble just for using a VPN.
Disclaimer: Although we’ve spent hours researching this topic, we are not legal experts. As such, nothing we’ve said above should be taken as legal advice. We encourage you to consult local laws if there’s any doubt as to the legality of VPNs in your location.
Will websites ban me for using a VPN?
Plenty of websites try to block VPN users (usually as a result of international licensing requirements) but very few succeed. After all, for VPNs to be useful in places like China, they have to be able to remain undetected.
The good news is that even if a service realizes you’re using a VPN, you’ll usually just be asked to turn it off. It’s important to remember that VPNs are legitimate privacy tools, used daily by millions of people all over the world; if websites just banned every VPN user outright, they’d lose a significant amount of traffic.
Why might I need a VPN in Boston?
One of the main benefits of a VPN is that it encrypts your internet traffic. This allows you to perform sensitive tasks (like online banking or shopping) even while on poorly-secured networks, since even if an attacker was watching, they’d be unable to read any of your data.
VPNs can also make it seem like you’re browsing from somewhere else. This is helpful if you’re looking to hide your true location while torrenting, or if you’d like to regain access to your usual streaming services while visiting the US. Further, platforms like ESPN and NHL.tv have state-specific blackouts, so you normally won’t be able to stream Bruins or Patriot games while visiting Boston. Of course, if you connect to a server in your home state, these restrictions are no longer a problem.