Twitch chat bans occur when a user violates the Terms of Service or Community Guidelines. The punishment may be anything from a warning to an indefinite suspension. If you feel your chat suspension is unfair or has even been made in error, you can appeal the ban. Failing this, you could use a VPN to get unbanned from Twitch chat. In this post, we provide instructions on how to do both.
First, we should briefly cover what a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is and how it works. A VPN is a service that takes your internet traffic and routes it through an encrypted tunnel. This secures it from prying eyes, allowing you to browse anonymously. When you connect to a server, you receive a new, temporary IP address. Twitch will no longer recognize you and you’ll then be able to get unbanned from Twitch chat, albeit via a new account.
We will cover each VPN provider in full detail below. If you’re in a rush, here’s a quick summary of our recommended VPNs for getting unbanned from Twitch chat:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for getting unbanned from Twitch chat. Over 5,000 servers, fast connections, and strong unblocking. No-logs VPN with 24-hour support. Also comes with a no-hassle 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. High-speed connections and works with Twitch and over 30 Netflix libraries. MultiHop servers available.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries. Unlimited bandwidth for seamless Twitch streaming. High-quality 24/7 support. Secure with high-end encryption and kill switch.
- CyberGhost: More than 8,000 servers in 90+ countries. One of the fastest VPNs available. Bypass Twitch bans and stream Netflix US.
- IPVanish: Uses the WireGuard protocol for fast speeds. Get unbanned from Twitch chat and connect all of your devices at the same time.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds for streaming and online gaming. Compatible with Twitch, Discord, Netflix, and more. User-friendly apps.
- Atlas VPN: High-speed servers with no bandwidth throttling. Strong unblocking (works with Twitch). Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop servers.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for unblocking Twitch chat with no restrictions for a month—great if you're waiting for your ban to appealed.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to appeal a Twitch chat ban
Before resorting to using a VPN, it’s worth appealing your suspension or warning. One advantage of this is that, if you’re successful, you’ll be able to return to using your main account.
Here’s how to appeal a Twitch chat ban:
- Log in to Twitch’s Appeals Portal (you can do this even if your account is suspended).
- Select the enforcement you want to appeal. You’ll see information including the enforcement data, as well as the reason for the enforcement.
- Go to the description box and explain why you’re appealing the Twitch chat ban. Try to be clear and concise as you will only get one chance to appeal.
- Submit the appeal. You’ll see that the status of your appeal in the Appeals Portal will now show as “Pending”.
- Twitch states that appeals are reviewed in the order they are received. However, you can expect to hear back within a few business days.
How to get unbanned from Twitch chat with a VPN
Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee that your Twitch chat ban appeal will be successful. If you don’t receive a response or the appeal is denied, there’s also the option of getting unbanned with a VPN.
Here’s how to get unbanned from Twitch chat using a VPN:
- Sign up with a reputable VPN provider. As indicated by our reviews below, we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your device. The VPNs listed in this post have apps for all major operating systems.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in your preferred location. Doing so changes your IP address.
- Sign up for a new Twitch account. Make sure you use a completely different username and email address.
- You should now be unbanned from Twitch chat. If you encounter any issues, try clearing your cookies and cache.
Best VPNs for getting unbanned from Twitch chat
Before we go over the best VPNs for getting unbanned from Twitch chat, here’s a summary of the key criteria we looked for in each VPN:
- Servers covering dozens of countries globally
- Fast, unthrottled speeds for Twitch streaming
- Secures data with high-end encryption
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users
- Multiple simultaneous connections per account
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for bypassing Twitch chat bans:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers a particularly large server network which means there are plenty of IP addresses to go around. This helps you get unbanned from Twitch chat and even access the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video while traveling abroad. Better still, NordVPN is fast so when you do get back on Twitch, you’ll be able to stream and broadcast content in high resolution and without lag. With this VPN, there’s absolutely no bandwidth throttling.
If you’d like to enjoy extra security while using NordVPN with Twitch, you have the option of connecting to a Double VPN or Onion Over VPN server. These encrypt your data twice over. Other specialty servers include those optimized for P2P file-sharing. A highly secure service, NordVPN provides 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. It has also had its no-logs policy independently audited by PwC Switzerland.
Secure up to six devices via the NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. To use NordVPN with a wi-fi router, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Large network of more than 5,000 servers
- Fast speeds for lag-free streaming on Twitch
- Works with popular streaming services such as Netflix
- Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers available
- No-logs policy independently audited by PwC
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Victim of a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR TWITCH CHAT:NordVPN is our top choice for getting unbanned from Twitch chat. It offers high-speed connections for streaming and more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries. No-logs VPN with specialty servers and 24/7 support. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is one of the most reliable VPNs when it comes to unblocking restricted content. Aside from many popular streaming services, it allows you to bypass any Twitch chat ban. It also happens to be among the fastest VPNs on the market, making it particularly ideal for streaming, online gaming, and torrenting. Unlike most VPNs which only let you connect up to a handful of devices at once, Surfshark doesn’t impose a connection limit.
Once connected to a Surfshark server, your internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. There’s also a kill switch and protection from both DNS and IPv6 leaks. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no mandatory data-retention laws. However, it also operates a no-logs policy. If all this wasn’t enough, you’ll also find MultiHop servers as well as Surfshark One, a security suite with antivirus.
Surfshark apps are available for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you prefer, you can even use a browser extension (Chrome or Firefox). With manual configuration, Surfshark can be set up to work with wi-fi routers.
- Bypass Twitch chat bans and even stream Netflix from abroad
- High-speed connections so you don’t suffer lag or buffering
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- Lots of security features such as Double VPN servers
- 24-hour live chat and email support
- Switching servers is sometimes slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark is fast, has more than 3,000 servers, and works with Twitch and over 30 versions of Netflix. Expect strong security with Double VPN servers and even an antivirus. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has been around for quite some time, and has established a network of more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. One of the main advantages of this VPN is that it bypasses most restrictions you’re likely to come across, be it a Twitch chat ban or censorship of social media such as Twitter. The high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth allow for lag-free streaming in 1080p HD and even 4K.
The quality customer support provided by ExpressVPN makes it particularly easy to use. This is available 24/7 via live chat and email. User-friendly apps include security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Furthermore, no identifying logs are kept of users, while you have the option of paying anonymously in Bitcoin. It’s also particularly easy to use with routers (ideal for consoles).
An ExpressVPN subscription includes apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. There’s even custom firmware for routers.
- More than 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Access Twitch chat, Netflix, and more
- Fast speeds with no bandwidth throttling
- High level of security thanks to encryption
- Excellent live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- More expensive than many of its rivals
SPEED AND SECURITY:ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries and easily bypasses Twitch chat bans. Also works well with Netflix. Fast connections, unlimited bandwidth, and strong security with encryption. Quality customer support. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more servers than you could ever need (over 8,000 in 90+ countries). This offers a couple of advantages. First, you can access even more online content. Second, there’s always a fast server close to your physical location. CyberGhost’s speed is another of its strengths. One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, it’s more than capable when it comes to Twitch streaming. Furthermore, you can connect up to seven devices at the same time.
This VPN provider has a strict no-logs policy. Its security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic kill switch. What’s particularly impressive about CyberGhost’s security offering is that it continues to add extras such as a Windows Security Suite (this includes an antivirus) as well as a password manager. While apps couldn’t be easier to use, you’ll have 24-hour access to live chat and email support.
There’s no shortage of apps with CyberGhost. You’ll find them for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available to download although routers need to be set up manually.
- Huge number of servers (roughly 8,000 in 90+ countries)
- One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested (ideal for Twitch streaming)
- Secure up to seven of your devices at the same time
- Windows security suite complete with antivirus
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
- Fewer advanced settings than others on the list
LAG-FREE STREAMING:CyberGhost offers particularly fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Huge server network (8,000+ in over 90 countries). Strict no-logs service with a Windows Security Suite. Use on up to seven devices. Comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish continues to expand its server network, which now stands at more than 2,000 servers in as many as 75+ locations. It makes it easy to get unbanned from Twitch chat or stream Netflix US while on vacation. Having implemented the WireGuard protocol, IPVanish is now one of the fastest VPNs on the market. As such, it’s an excellent choice for streaming, online gaming, and torrenting, all of which you can do without suffering performance issues.
With IPVanish, household family members can also secure their devices because it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Once connected to a server, you’ll benefit from 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. IPVanish states that it operates a zero-logs policy, which means your browsing activity stays private. Should you encounter any issues, live chat and email support are available around the clock.
IPVanish apps are offered for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). There’s also an app for Amazon Fire TV although manual configuration is needed in order to use IPVanish with compatible wireless routers.
- Continues to add to its server network (now over 2,000 servers)
- WireGuard protocol means faster speeds than ever
- Aside from Twitch, it works well with Netflix US
- Permits unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- No option to pay in Bitcoin/cryptocurrency
- Headquartered in the US which is a member of Five Eyes
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is fast for lag-free Twitch and Netflix US streaming. Over 2,000 servers and allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Zero-logs policy and military-grade encryption. 24/7 support included. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN rarely fails to bypass a ban or unblock a geo-restricted website or service. A smaller VPN provider with just over 200 servers, its network covers more than 60 countries including the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia. Connections are fast and highly consistent thanks to unlimited bandwidth. Aside from Twitch, PrivateVPN can be used with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
A highly secure service, PrivateVPN ticks every security box with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It allows you to stay anonymous online through its strict no-logs policy. The desktop and mobile apps make it quick and easy to connect to a server and navigate a Twitch chat ban. Besides, help is at hand should you need it with live chat and email support as well as free remote help and installation.
With PrivateVPN, you can use apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. While you can also use it with your wi-fi router (if compatible), this does require following the manual setup instructions provided by PrivateVPN.
- More than fast enough for use with Twitch
- Also works with BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and Prime Video
- Strict no-logs policy protects your privacy
- Email support typically responds within an hour or two
- Much smaller network of servers (not much more than 200)
- Live chat isn’t available 24 hours a day
STRONG UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN is one of the most consistent unblockers of content. Use it with Twitch and popular streaming services such as Hulu. Fast with no bandwidth throttling. Strong security and privacy protection. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN only launched in 2020 yet has already established itself as one of the fastest VPNs around. It averaged 247 Mbps in our latest tests. It also has servers across dozens of countries, making it a useful option if you regularly travel overseas. With this VPN, you can not only get unbanned from Twitch chat, but access the likes of Netflix and Discord from anywhere. What’s more, there’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect.
You don’t need to worry about hackers and snoopers when you connect to an Atlas VPN server. That’s because all data is 256-bit AES encrypted. Aside from DNS leak protection and a kill switch, there’s the option of MultiHop servers, which encrypt internet traffic twice. Atlas VPN even blocks ads, trackers, and malware while its SafeSwap feature automatically changes your IP address as you browse, making you harder to track.
Once you have an Atlas VPN account, you’ll be able to download Atlas VPN apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. This VPN can also be manually configured to work with Linux and select routers.
- High-speed servers for Twitch streaming and broadcasting
- Also bypasses the restrictions of Disney+ and HBO Max
- Doesn’t limit the number of devices you can connect at once
- Plenty of security features such as MultiHop servers
- Smaller network of servers (approximately 700)
- Doesn’t support Linux or routers
- Doesn’t work in China
MULTIHOP SERVERS:Atlas VPN is very fast for seamless streaming and gaming. Access Twitch chat, Netflix, and more. Lots of security features including MultiHop servers. Connect all of your devices at the same time via a single account. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for getting unbanned from Twitch chat
Many VPNs simply don’t work with Twitch. Whether they fail to get you unbanned from Twitch chat or are simply too slow for streaming, our methodology helped us identify which to use and which to avoid. Below, we outline some of the criteria we looked for:
- Servers worldwide: Twitch is available worldwide but it doesn’t hurt to have access to servers in dozens of countries. That way, you’ll be able to access even more geo-blocked websites and services, streaming platforms included. It also means that there’s usually a server close to your location for faster speeds.
- Speed: In order to stream and broadcast on Twitch, you need a VPN that offers good speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth. This is to avoid annoying performance issues such as lag and buffering. Our speed tests found the fastest VPNs on the market, all of which allow you to stream content in high definition.
- Unblocking: Aside from a Twitch chat ban, you may come across geographic restrictions on your favorite streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video and Disney+. Some VPNs (especially free VPN services) struggle to bypass such restrictions. We’ve only covered those that we found to be the most consistent.
- Security: There are some security risks that come with being online. For example, Twitch streamers may be vulnerable to hackers. Any quality VPN will protect you from DDoS attacks and leaks through military-grade encryption and a kill switch feature. Some go even further with Double VPN servers, an ad blocker, and more.
- Privacy: Don’t want anyone and everyone knowing what you’re doing online? Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, you need a VPN that operates a no-logs policy. Not all VPNs check this box. To find those that do, we looked at 140 VPN logging policies. Many of the VPNs we recommend also accept anonymous payment (Bitcoin).
- Ease of use: We use each VPN’s apps for ourselves to get a better understanding of whether they’re suitable for beginners. This involves looking for a quick and easy signup process, the ability to connect to a server in just a click or two, and live chat and email support around the clock.
- Value for money: Despite offering all of the above, the VPNs in this post are all affordable. You can choose between a month-to-month or annual plan although the longer the deal, the more you’ll save on average. To save even more, be sure to make use of the VPN discount coupons listed throughout this post.
We are able to find the right VPNs for the job thanks to our VPN testing methodology. This involves plenty of hands-on testing of each VPN and its apps.
VPNs for Twitch: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to get unbanned from Twitch chat?
It’s unlikely that a free VPN will successfully get you unbanned from Twitch chat. Most free VPN IP addresses will already have been tried by other users and likely blacklisted by Twitch as a result. Besides, one common issue with most free VPNs is that they’re far too slow, particularly when it comes to streaming and online gaming. Bandwidth throttling means you’ll suffer excessive lag and buffering as well as low resolution streams.
Free VPNs don’t just suffer from poor performance. Unfortunately, they also lack key security features. At a minimum, a quality VPN should use 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch to secure your data. There should also be a strict no-logs policy. It should be known that some free VPNs do keep identifying logs and, in some cases, these may not be properly protected or may even be sold to third parties. For all of these reasons, free VPNs are best avoided.
Is it legal to use a VPN to bypass a Twitch chat ban?
According to the Twitch Community Guidelines, “Any attempt to circumvent an account suspension or chat ban by using other accounts, identities, or by appearing on another user’s account will also result in an additional enforcement against your accounts, up to an indefinite suspension.” While there is some risk of using a VPN to bypass a Twitch chat ban, it’s not illegal to do so. It just means you run the risk of a harsher ban if caught doing so.
How long do Twitch chat bans last?
It may be that you’ve only been issued a warning, in which case you can continue using Twitch chat without restriction. However, temporary suspensions can be anything from one to 30 days. The most serious offenses can result in an indefinite suspension. In the most serious cases, there is no possibility to appeal. Whatever the length of your Twitch chat ban and outcome of your appeal, it’s important to read up on the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct to avoid such issues in future.