The easiest way to get a Thailand IP address is with a VPN. Whether you want to access Thailand’s Channel 7 or Thai streaming services such as Donnee, a VPN can help. Short for “Virtual Private Network”, a VPN takes your device’s internet traffic and encrypts it before routing it to one of the VPN’s servers in the location from which you wish to browse.
How to get an IP address for Thailand
You can have a VPN and an IP address for Thailand in a matter of minutes. We’ll take you through what you need to do, step-by-step:
Here’s how to get a Thailand IP address using a VPN:
- Sign up with one of the VPN services listed. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN software (app or browser extension), selecting the appropriate version for your operating system.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Thailand in order to get a Thai IP address.
- Try out the blocked content which should now be unblocked!
- If you’re still having issues, try clearing your cookies. You could also try another server or contact the customer support of your VPN.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Thailand IP address with no restrictions for a month - great if you're only traveling abroad for a few short weeks.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Internet censorship in Thailand has increased over the last few years. Not only has the Thai government blocked many websites, apps, and services, they’ve also blocked some VPNs. For this reason, we’ve done extensive research to find out which VPNs still work in Thailand.
We’ll cover each provider in-depth, discussing the key features on offer. If you don’t have time to read the whole article, here’s a quick list.
Best VPNs for getting an IP address in Thailand:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Thailand. Network of 5,000 fast servers in 60 countries, including Thailand. Strict no-logs policy and 24/7 support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Fastest speeds for streaming. Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Double VPN servers available.
- ExpressVPN: Great all-rounder with beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 support. Highly secure service with encryption. Doesn’t keep any identifying logs.
- CyberGhost: A dozen servers in Thailand. Fast, secure, and lets you to connect 7 devices. Strict no-logs service with access to a password manager.
- PrivateVPN: Smaller VPN service with fast servers for streaming. User-friendly apps. Includes a strict no-logs policy and lets you pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries, Thailand included. 24/7 support. Unthrottled connections and features including a password manager.
- VyprVPN: A strong all-rounder that unblocks most restricted content. Protects your privacy with encryption. Audited to prove it doesn’t keep any logs.
Best VPNs to get a Thailand IP address
The best VPNs in Thailand on this list have been tested and meet the following criteria:
- VPN is not blocked in Thailand
- Offers servers in Thailand and worldwide
- Fast speeds for high-quality streaming
- No-logs policy so your privacy is protected
- Additional security features including encryption
- 24/7 customer support, preferably with live chat
You can find out more about our VPN testing methodology later in this article. For now, here’s our list of the best VPNs to get a Thai IP address:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for obtaining a Thai IP address. It has grown to become one of the biggest VPN services in the world with over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, including Thailand. NordVPN offers unlimited bandwidth and its abundance of servers means less congestion. Servers are faster than those of any other provider we’ve tested and this VPN works with the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
You can use a single NordVPN account to connect up to six devices. NordVPN’s apps are quick and easy to use and the availability of specialty servers such as Onion Over VPN and Dedicated IP offers additional security options. NordVPN is a very secure choice since it’s based in Panama, which is outside of the Five Eyes and Fourteen Eyes alliances. NordVPN has a no-logs policy, uses 256-bit AES encryption, and offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch.
NordVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN can be used with compatible routers via manual setup.
- Large network of 5,000 servers in 60 countries, including Thailand
- Incredible speeds and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Works with Netflix and other popular streaming services
- Connect up to six devices at once
- Plenty of important security features including a no-logs policy
- Top-notch customer support available 24 hours a day
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR THAILAND:NordVPN is our #1 recommendation for a Thai IP address. It has multiple high-speed servers in Thailand and 5,000 servers globally. Connect up to six devices simultaneously. 24/7 live chat support, accessible apps, and a no-logs policy. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost VPN service that offers around 3,000 servers in 65 countries, including Thailand. Not only is it the fastest VPN we’ve tested, it also offers unlimited bandwidth. However, arguably the best thing about Surfshark is that it can be used on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. This makes it a great choice for sharing with family.
Beginners will appreciate the easy-to-use apps and browser extensions offered by Surfshark. There’s even 24/7 live chat support should you need any help. Security-wise, Surfshark operates a strict no-logs policy to protect the privacy of its customers. It also uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch feature to keep your data secure.
Signing up for Surfshark grants you access to apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual installation is necessary for routers.
- Servers in Thailand for unblocking region-locked Thai websites
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat
- Very strong security with a strict no-logs policy
- User-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Sometimes slow to connect to servers
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Fastest speeds for streaming Thai TV, Netflix, and more. 24/7 via live chat. Secures your data with encryption and no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers fast servers and a high level of security, making it a solid option to get a Thailand IP address. Aside from servers in Thailand, ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including the US, UK, and Japan. ExpressVPN can help you securely access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, ESPN, and more.
ExpressVPN states it keeps no activity or connection logs that could be used to identify users. What’s more, it features 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and split tunneling. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN can arguably offer more privacy and anonymity than a VPN in the US or UK since it isn’t subject to data retention requests.
ExpressVPN apps can be downloaded for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge while there’s even custom firmware for routers.
- Servers in 94 countries worldwide, including Thailand
- High-speed connections combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Reliable unblocking of many popular streaming services
- 24/7 customer support with a live chat feature
- Slightly more pricey than most VPNs
STRONG SECURITY:ExpressVPN unblocks Thai websites abroad. It has fast, consistent connections for streaming and torrenting. User-friendly apps and 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers over a dozen servers in Thailand at the time of writing. This is more than the majority of VPNs on the market. Overall, CyberGhost has thousands of servers in 90 countries, allowing you to access geo-restricted online content from almost anywhere. CyberGhost is a high-speed VPN and offers unlimited bandwidth and traffic. As such, streaming content with this Romania-based VPN is easy with little to no buffering or lag.
This is a VPN that offers excellent value since you can use it to protect up to seven devices – all with a single subscription. Not only does CyberGhost perform well, but it also offers a high level of security thanks to the implementation of 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. Last but not least, CyberGhost has a strict no-logs policy.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux as well as on mobile for Android and iOS. There are also apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for routers.
- Over a dozen servers in Thailand (and 7,000+ in 90 countries)
- Fast speeds for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Secure VPN with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Now includes a password manager (currently in beta)
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
LOTS OF SERVERS IN THAILAND:CyberGhost has more servers in Thailand than most VPNs. It’s also fast with unlimited bandwidth for uninterrupted streaming. Includes 24/7 live chat support and lets you connect up to seven devices. Strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may be a smaller VPN service but you can use it to get an IP address for Thailand. PrivateVPN only has approximately 200 servers which are located across 60 countries, including Thailand. It could be said that PrivateVPN places an emphasis on quality rather than quantity and the speed of their servers certainly speaks volumes. This VPN works with various streaming services including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
The apps offered by PrivateVPN are user-friendly, making connecting to a server or switching up the settings quick and convenient. When it comes to your privacy, PrivateVPN is a secure VPN option since it uses 256-bit AES encryption, protects against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and has a kill switch feature. It states that it keeps no traffic logs while you can choose to pay in bitcoin (use a mixing service first in order to do so anonymously).
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. However, Linux and routers require manual configuration.
- High-quality servers offering speed and reliability
- Ideal for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Strong security features including encryption and a kill switch
- Smaller network of servers overall
- Customer support isn’t available 24/7
GREAT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN has fast servers and works with most popular streaming services, including Netflix. It also offers a high level of security with encryption. Allows up to six simultaneous connections and offers live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has expanded its network to cover 80 countries worldwide. This includes Thailand, allowing you to get a Thai IP address from anywhere. Thanks to unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to stream Thai TV and the likes of Amazon Prime Video without interruption. A single account means you can secure up to five of your devices at the same time.
This VPN service ensures your data’s security by routing it through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. You can also expect DNS leak protection and a kill switch. When it comes to your privacy protection, note that Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any identifying logs. There are even some features that most VPNs don’t provide such as access to a password manager and spam call blocker. 24/7 support can be contacted via both live chat and email.
A Hotspot Shield account includes apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You can also find a browser extension for Chrome. Use with routers requires following manual setup instructions.
- Network of servers covers 80 countries including Thailand
- Works with a variety of popular streaming services
- Comprehensive security includes a password manager
- Live chat and email support can be contacted 24 hours a day
- Some past privacy-related issues
- Doesn’t yet offer a browser extension for Firefox
PASSWORD MANAGER INCLUDED:Hotspot Shield has servers in 80 countries including Thailand. No bandwidth throttling and works with Thai TV and Amazon Prime Video. 24/7 support and a password manager. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is a strong VPN with more than 700 servers around the world, including Thailand. Having tested VyprVPN on a wide range of websites and services, we’ve found it to be a reliable option for an IP address in Thailand. It’s able to securely access popular streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Streaming HD quality videos are uninterrupted thanks to VyprVPN’s unlimited bandwidth. Should you encounter any issues, there’s always 24/7 live chat support, which is fast and helpful.
We’ve tested VyprVPN’s apps and found them to be easy to use, making them ideal for beginners. The security is also impressive. VyprVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch that stops your internet traffic when the VPN is disconnected. VyprVPN is based in Switzerland – a country known for its privacy-friendly laws. What’s more, VyprVPN has been independently audited, proving it’s a no-logs VPN.
VyprVPN can be downloaded on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Linux and routers can be set up manually.
- Good streaming potential
- High speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 live chat support
- Secure no logs VPN
- More expensive than most VPNs
- Small network of only 700 servers
PROVEN NO-LOGS VPN:VyprVPN is a reliable VPN that lets you get an IP address for Thailand and unblock geo-restricted content. Offers strong security with a strict no-logs policy and encryption. 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
Finding the best VPNs for getting a Thailand IP address is no easy task. After all, it involves the testing of dozens of VPNs which most people, understandably, simply don’t have the time or resources to do. Fortunately, we’ve been able to test many VPNs to find those we’re comfortable recommending. Our methodology is as follows:
- Servers in Thailand: First off, for any VPN to have even a chance of being listed in this post, it must have servers in Thailand. Without these, you simply won’t be able to get a Thai IP address and unblock your favorite geo-restricted content.
- Speed: Some VPNs are just too slow for streaming. This results in issues such as low-resolution streams as well as lag and buffering. Having tested each service for ourselves, we’ve found the fastest VPNs, all of which offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: The trouble with traveling abroad is that much of your favorite online content becomes unavailable due to geographic restrictions. To get around this, you need a VPN with plenty of IP addresses for reliable unblocking.
- Security: The point of a VPN is to create a secure connection between your browsing/streaming device and the Internet. To do this, there should be 256-bit AES encryption. However, we also look for there to be a kill switch and protection from DNS leaks.
- Privacy: A VPN should protect your privacy by operating a strict no-logs policy. This ensures that even if data is requested by authorities, there should be nothing to provide. To find the VPNs that offer you online anonymity, we’ve analyzed 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: The advantage of testing so many VPNs is that we can find out which ones offer the most user-friendly apps! Keep in mind that we also only recommend VPNs that provide you with customer support via live chat as well as email.
- Value for money: You might think that asking for all of the above means a steep price tag. However, there’s so much competition in the VPN market that it’s possible to find great value for money, particularly if you use our VPN discount coupons.
Our VPN testing methodology ensures we give each VPN a fair chance and, ultimately, recommend those that best fit your needs.
Thailand IP address FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address for Thailand?
VPN blocks are not uncommon in Thailand, which means many free VPNs simply won’t work. Even if you’re fortunate enough to find a free VPN that works in Thailand, we advise caution for three main reasons:
1. As most people who use free VPNs experience, their overall performance isn’t great. In fact, free VPNs are quite slow for the most part. This isn’t too surprising when you consider the number of people trying to use the free VPN service at once. There are too many people and too few servers, as well as limits on speed and bandwidth, resulting in what can be a frustrating experience.
2. Many people find free VPNs to be a little too simple. Free VPNs tend to lack in features. This means you may not be able to save your favorite servers, add a browser extension, or use a kill switch. While some of these features simply add to the convenience of a VPN, some of them are essential to your security online. What’s more, many free VPNs simply won't work with streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer.
3. When it comes to security, free VPNs are not to be trusted. As we mentioned, free VPNs lack certain features and this often means they don’t offer encryption, DNS leak protection, or a kill switch. Another reason why free VPNs are not as safe is that many log your information and activity and sell it to third parties (they have to make money somehow!). It’s also possible for a free VPN to infect your device with malware and spam you with annoying, irrelevant ads.
Why do I need a VPN for Thailand?
A Thai VPN is necessary if you want to get a Thailand IP address when on holiday or living abroad. It allows you to access your favorite websites, services, and apps even if you’re in the USA or UK, for example.
While a VPN can help you access content in other countries, it can also help you unblock content that has been banned in your country. Internet users in Thailand may come across a green screen if a website or service is blocked in the country (see the image above). Unfortunately, internet censorship is prevalent in Thailand, with Bangkok being one of the world's most surveilled cities. While this was once largely focused on the blocking of pornographic websites, recent years has seen internet censorship in Thailand expand to political issues.
How can I watch Thai TV abroad with a VPN?
The best VPNs can unblock all sorts of geo-restricted content including banking services, news articles, and Thai TV. The process to unblock such content is always the same. Simply open your VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in Thailand. The content should now be unblocked! If not, try clearing your browser's cookies and contact your VPN's customer support if there's still an issue.
A Thailand IP address allows you to watch online content from Thai TV channels including Channel 3 and Channel 7. You'll also be able to securely access Thai streaming services such as Doonee while servers in other countries can help you use platforms like Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Go.
Are VPNs legal in Thailand?
VPNs are legal in Thailand though it’s worth noting that the Thai government has blocked a number of VPNs in an attempt to prevent residents from accessing blocked content.
Freedom House rated Thailand’s internet freedom as only “partly free” in 2018. In 2017, the amended Computer-Related Crimes Act came into effect in Thailand, providing authorities with greater powers to block and remove online content. Under this amended act and the criminal code, internet users (particularly activists and journalists) are sometimes prosecuted in Thailand.
Note: We do not provide legal advice and this article is intended for information purposes only. Any illegal online activity is still illegal even when using a VPN. You should conduct your own research if you are unsure.
Can you get someone's real IP if they are using a VPN?
While it's not impossible to find out a user's real IP address if they're using a VPN, it certainly becomes a lot more difficult. That's because when you use a VPN, your data becomes encrypted, making it almost impossible to intercept. Instead, the IP address that is shown belongs to that of the VPN server to which you're connected.
Why Do Thai Streaming Services Ban International Viewers?
Thai streaming platforms use geo-restrictions to prevent anybody outside of Thailand from watching their content. They do this to comply with the licensing agreement they have entered into with the content producers and copyright holders of shows they broadcast.
To achieve this, streaming platforms track the IP addresses of everybody who accesses their website. If the IP address is outside of Thailand, they serve the user with an error message that explains they cannot stream the content abroad.
Although these automated systems automatically block users from accessing content abroad, it is easy to regain access to those services with a VPN. Thus, you can actually lift the ban simply by connecting to a Thai server to get a Thai IP address.