Swedish citizens traveling abroad or those residing outside the country may benefit from a Swedish IP address in order to log in to online banking services, stream local television shows and sporting events, or access geo-restricted sites and apps. In this article, we’ll explain how you can use VPN to obtain an IP address from Sweden and reveal the best ones for the job.
A time-tested method to unblock websites and services is to subscribe to a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN encrypts your device’s internet traffic and routes it via an intermediary server. By selecting a Swedish server, your real IP address will be replaced with a Swedish one, no matter your location. The encryption aspect of using a VPN means your traffic will be unreadable to hackers and snoopers.
How to get an IP address for Sweden
VPNs are easy to set up and get started with. By following the step-by-step instructions as laid out below, you’ll be all set in a matter of minutes:
Here’s how to get a Swedish IP address:
- Sign up with a reputable VPN provider. After extensively testing a number of VPNs, we particularly NordVPN.
- Now you’ll be able to download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in Sweden to get a Swedish IP address.
- Access your preferred content which should now be unblocked regardless of your physical location.
- Don’t panic if it doesn’t work immediately. You might have to clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. Alternatively connect to another server to change your IP address or contact your VPN’s customer support.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Swedish IP address with no restrictions for a month—perfect for short trips abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Our in-depth reviews provide plenty of key information about each VPN service, but in case you only have time for a quick glance, here are the best VPNs for getting an IP address from Sweden:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for getting a Swedish IP address. 140+ servers in Sweden and 5,000+ worldwide. Fast with specialty servers, 24/7 support and a no-logs policy.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Growing network of 3,000+ servers. Very fast with MultiHop servers and an ad blocker included. No-logs service with 24-hour support.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries, Sweden included. High-speed connections and reliable unblocking of content. Highly secure with encryption.
- CyberGhost: Huge network of 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries. Unlimited bandwidth. Connect up to seven devices at once. Strict no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast servers in Sweden and works with many different streaming platforms. Easy-to-use apps as well as strong security and privacy protection.
- Private Internet Access: Decent speeds for streaming Swedish TV. Secures data with encryption. Allows online anonymity as it doesn’t keep any logs.
- Atlas VPN: Works well with Swedish and international streaming platforms. Unlimited simultaneous connections and the highest level of encryption.
While there are a lot of VPNs on the market, their quality can vary significantly. Here are some of the key features we look for in a VPN:
- Servers in Sweden (and dozens of other countries globally)
- Unblocks geo-restricted content without any noticeable problems
- Uses rigid encryption protocols so your data is protected at all times
- Provides apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified
- Live chat and email support available around the clock
Best VPNs for getting a Swedish IP address
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Sweden:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has an impressive server network, one of the largest of any VPN provider. It manages more than 5,000 servers with over 140 in Sweden alone. NordVPN offers users the option to select servers optimized for streaming. As such, it’s well-suited to streaming and is able to provide secure access to popular platforms such as Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video, all without any problems.
Other custom features include obfuscated and multi-hop servers. Security standards are similarly resolute with 256-bit encryption, an ad-blocker, anti-malware defense, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. This provider doesn’t log any personally identifiable information and users can pay with Bitcoin for additional privacy. Live chat and email support is available 24 hours a day.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available. If you want to use NordVPN with your home wifi router, you’ll need to set this up manually.
- Fast speeds make HD and even 4K streaming a breeze
- Large server network with over 140 servers in Sweden
- Unblocks lots of popular streaming platforms
- Advanced security features for power users
- Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers available
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Desktop apps are a little clunky
BEST VPN FOR A SWEDISH IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is our top choice. It’s fast for streaming and offers specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, you’ll be able to try it out risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has rapidly grown to become one of the biggest VPN providers on the market. It now offers over 3,000 servers in 100 countries including Sweden. One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, it’s highly suitable for streaming. In fact, it works very well with SVT Play, Netflix, and more. Better still, you can use Surfshark to secure all of your devices at the same time (most VPNs only allow up to five or six devices per account).
Regarding security, Surfshark is as good as any VPN around. For starters, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. There are even specialty MultiHop servers which encrypt data twice for an extra layer of security. Your privacy is very much protected thanks to these aforementioned features as well as Surfshark’s strict no-logs policy. 24/7 support is also available.
You can use Surfshark via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available to download. When it comes to routers, manual configuration is required.
- Servers in dozens of countries, Sweden included
- Fast server speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Connect all of your devices via a single account
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- MultiHop (Double VPN) servers encrypt data twice
- Switching servers is sometimes on the slow side
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark is one of the fastest VPNs tested and has strong unblocking ability. Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for Sweden due to its reliability, speeds, and minimalist user interface. At the time of writing, it offers more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Sweden. Streaming is one of ExpressVPN’s biggest strengths as it boasts high speeds and the ability to securely access platforms like Netflix and Disney+ with no issues.
Security parameters are robust. ExpressVPN deploys 256-bit AES encryption, which is considered uncrackable. Additional security features include an internet kill switch, perfect forward secrecy, and protection against DNS leaks. The company adheres to a policy of not storing any logs that can identify the user. Customer support via live chat is available around the clock. For privacy-conscious users, there’s also the option of paying via Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN offers apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). There’s also apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV and browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Custom firmware is available for routers.
- Servers in 94 countries including Sweden
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Works well with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- High level of security with encryption and a kill switch
- A bit more expensive than some competing services
SPEED AND SECURITY COMBINED:ExpressVPN is a strong all-rounder with fast speeds and comprehensive security. Excellent apps and support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost manages more than 9,000 servers across 90 countries, including over 100 servers in Sweden. It’s a fast, efficient service that’s designed with amateur users in mind. It’s particularly popular for its streaming capabilities, with a long list of servers designed to access platforms like Netflix, Disney+, and more. You’ll be able to use it on up to seven devices at the same time.
This VPN service comes saddled with a bunch of neat add-ons, including an ad blocker. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption while there’s also a kill switch and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. A no-logs service, CyberGhost is headquartered in Romania where there are no mandatory data retention laws in effect. 24/7 live chat and email support are available around the clock.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required in the case of compatible wireless routers.
- Huge network of over 9,000 servers in 90 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming without lag or buffering
- Strict no-logs policy so you can remain anonymous
- Use it on up to seven devices simultaneously
- Unable to bypass VPN restrictions in China
MASSIVE NETWORK:CyberGhost offers 9,000+ servers and permits up to 7 simultaneous connections Unlimited bandwidth and a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is headquartered in Sweden and has a relatively small server network compared to the other VPNs on this list. At the moment, it has approximately 200 servers in over 60 countries, with servers in two Swedish cities (Kista and Stockholm). It’s able to securely access Netflix (including the Swedish library), BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and much more.
For security, PrivateVPN uses 256-bit encryption along with perfect forward secrecy on the OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols. An internet kill switch and leak protection are included. While live chat support isn’t available 24/7, it’s available most hours and the email support response time is arguably the fastest we’ve tested. We recommend PrivateVPN for beginners thanks to its simple, streamlined apps.
Connect to a server in Sweden via PrivateVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. It can also be manually configured to work with Linux as well as select wifi routers.
- No user logs
- Fast, reliable connections
- Real streaming potential
- Small server network
RELIABLE UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN works with Netflix and has fast speeds for watching in high definition. Strict no-logs policy and fast, efficient support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access (PIA) has a network of several thousand servers which are located across more than 80 countries including Sweden. This allows you to access content not only in Sweden but countries worldwide. It offers respectable speeds for browsing, streaming, and torrenting. Furthermore, you can use PIA to enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections — ideal for sharing with family members in your household.
Thanks to PIA’s strong security, you can travel abroad and use public wifi networks with confidence. That’s because it uses 256-bit AES encryption, offers a kill switch, and protects you from DNS leaks. Just as important, PIA operates a no-logs policy so you don’t need to worry about anyone seeing what you do online. Should you need it, live chat and email support is at hand.
Get a Swedish IP address by downloading a PIA app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions can be found for Chrome and Firefox although use with routers requires manual setup.
- Thousands of servers available (including in Sweden)
- Good speeds for streaming content lag and buffer-free
- Secure as many devices as you like at the same time
- No-logs policy ensuring your privacy is protected
- Struggles to unblock some streaming services
- Doesn’t work well in China
PRIVACY PROTECTION:Private Internet Access offers thousands of servers and has good speeds for trouble-free browsing and streaming. Use it on all of your devices at once. Operates a no-logs policy and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a newer provider that’s already made a name for itself thanks to its strong streaming ability, fast speeds, and total lack of a connection limit. This service has no issues securely accessing platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+, and we’ve seen it deliver 4K video with no noticeable lag or buffering.
In order to use Atlas VPN, you’ll need to download and install one of its apps which are available for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Linux. However, Atlas VPN doesn’t provide support for routers as yet.
- Very strong streaming ability
- Fast server speeds
- Secure as many devices as you want at the same time
- No identifying logs of users
- No support for routers
STREAMING-FRIENDLY:Atlas VPN provides very fast server speeds and works with many popular streaming platforms. It also allows unlimited simultaneous connections and doesn’t keep identifying logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for getting a Swedish IP address
There are hundreds of VPNs to choose from but not all are of equal quality. Indeed, many lack speed or even security features. Below, we detail our methodology and what we look for in each VPN we recommend:
- Servers in Sweden: It may sound obvious but in order to get a Swedish IP address, you’ll need access to servers in Sweden. Aside from this, we look for each VPN to have servers in countries worldwide. That way, you can access a wide range of geo-restricted content regardless of your location.
- Speed: Unfortunately, many VPNs (and most free VPNs) are far too slow for streaming. This results in issues such as low resolution streams, as well as excessive lag and buffering. Our speed tests have revealed the fastest VPNs, so you don’t need to worry about choosing between speed and security.
- Unblocking: We test each VPN against a wide range of region-locked websites and services in order to determine its unblocking ability. The above VPNs are among the best for this, so you can travel abroad with confidence and know that you’ll be able to access most online content as normal.
- Security: At the very least, we expect a VPN to offer the following security features: 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. However, most of the VPNs listed above offer more than this. For example, NordVPN offers Double VPN servers which encrypt data twice.
- Privacy: Having analyzed some 140 VPN logging policies, we’ve been able to find out which VPNs best protect your privacy. While some keep logs which may be sold to third parties or shared with authorities, the best VPNs operate no-logs policies so that only you know what you’re doing online.
- Ease of use: Regardless of a VPN’s speed, security, or how many features it offers, its apps shouldn’t be anything other than beginner-friendly. Furthermore, it should provide live chat and email support (preferably 24 hours a day). That way, help is always at hand should you run into any issues.
- Value for money: Despite offering all of the above, the best VPNs for getting a Swedish IP address remain great value for money. Indeed, we offer discount coupons for each (you can find them throughout this post). Each VPN also comes with a risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days.
Our VPN testing methodology goes into greater detail regarding how we test VPNs in areas such as speed, security, and unblocking.
Getting a Swedish IP address: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to obtain a Swedish IP address?
You’ll be able to find free VPN services with a simple online search, but we advise that you don’t go down this slippery path.
Such services seem tempting because they don’t ask you to provide credit card details at the time of sign up. But as the old adage goes, when the product is free you end up being the product.
Some unethical free VPN providers have been caught mining user data and selling it to third-party advertisers. Others have taken it a step further and utilized idle bandwidth to build botnet armies. Many free VPN apps come bundled with malware which can lead to permanent data loss. Hence, if you’re trying to stream content or securely access financial services, then you’re not going to achieve that by opting for a free VPN. The overall experience such services offer is highly unreliable.
What’s more, most free VPNs have a severely limited number of server locations and you will be hard-pressed to find ones that give you an option for a Swedish server.
Overall, it’s in your best interests to stay away from free VPNs. If you need a VPN for a short period of time, then follow the recommendation we made at the beginning of this article.
Can I use a VPN to watch Swedish television online?
Yes, a VPN lets you watch Swedish TV online. By downloading a VPN and switching your IP address to Sweden, every website and app you log in to will assume that you’re physically located in the country.
What sites are blocked in Sweden?
Freedom of the press and speech is enshrined in the Swedish constitution and extends to the internet, too. In fact, Sweden’s open laws actually gave birth to many torrenting sites such as The Pirate Bay. Naturally, most websites that share illegal or copyrighted material are blocked but just about everything else is freely available.
What else can I do with a Swedish IP address?
Other than streaming content, one of the most common use cases for a VPN is to securely access online banking. An IP address from Sweden means you should be able to log in to your online banking account from Swedbank, Nordea, Ikano Bank, and more. This way you don’t run the risk of any fraud alerts that might stem from having an IP address from a non-Swedish location.
Due to a VPN’s encryption aspect, it can also be used to safely access public wifi. This means you can connect to unsecured wifi networks such as those found at airports, hotels, malls, and coffee shops while keeping your information safe from hackers and other snoopers.
What are the other methods to obtain a Swedish IP address?
The Tor browser was brought to life in order to help quell mass surveillance attempts by state agencies. It’s free to download and use and definitely has sophisticated encryption standards.
It remains popular with journalists, human rights activists, and whistleblowers who use it to stay anonymous online without any data-intensive tasks. That’s because it wasn’t engineered to help everyday users indulge in things like online streaming or accessing financial institution websites. This means Tor can be painfully slow and isn’t a great option if you’re simply trying to stream on Netflix.
You can also use a free proxy server to hide your real IP address. However, similar to free VPNs, proxy servers operate with data caps, a small selection of locations, and questionable privacy policies.
Streaming providers like Netflix have been monitoring and blocking proxies for a while now. Be prepared for disappointment if you’re planning on leaning on them to access your favorite shows and movies.
Are VPNs legal in Sweden?
VPNs are completely legal in Sweden, and in most of the world. A handful of countries place restrictions on the exact providers you’re allowed to use, but the vast majority of European countries have no laws against VPN usage at all.
Disclaimer: Although we’ve spent hours researching this topic, we are not legal experts. As such, nothing we’ve said above should be taken as legal advice. We encourage you to consult local laws before attempting to use a VPN while traveling abroad.