There are many reasons to arm yourself with a VPN service in Sweden. VPNs are a useful tool that keep your internet activities private, allow you to torrent, bank, and browse safely, and help you securely access streaming platforms like Netflix or Swedish services like SVT Play from abroad.
Whatever your reason for wanting a VPN for Sweden, you’ll want a provider that has reliable apps, robust security, and strong privacy features. Not all VPNs meet these standards – never mind being fast enough for streaming in HD!
In this article, we recommend fast, secure, no-logs VPNs that can prevent surveillance and online tracking and protect you against hackers on public Wi-Fi. We’ll go into detail about each of them and explain how to use them. But in case you’re short on time, here’s a quick summary.
Best VPNs for Sweden:
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice VPN for Sweden. Blazing speeds and plenty of features to keep you secure and private. Access streaming sites like Netflix with ease. Works with SVT Play, TV 4 Play, and other Swedish TV platforms. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Our top budget pick for a Sweden VPN. Lots of server options, strong on security and privacy. Lets you connect unlimited devices. Works with the most popular streaming services.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries optimized for speed are great for streaming and downloading. Tough security and no traffic logs. Works well with most major streaming sites, such as Amazon Prime Video.
- CyberGhost: Fast, beginner-friendly VPN great for streaming. Strong privacy features. Easy-to-use apps. Vast server network, including 100+ VPN servers in Sweden.
- IPVanish: Great for Kodi users that prefer a remote-control-friendly service. Strong security and good speeds. Unlimited connection limit.
- PrivateVPN: Secure, no-logs provider. Expanding network of servers in 63 countries. Excellent speeds for streaming.
- Private Internet Access: Fast speeds ideal for streaming. Secures data with strong encryption. Allows unlimited connections. zero logs policy. Servers in 80+ countries, including Sweden.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Sweden with no restrictions for a month - this is perfect if you're looking to test it out before making a decision.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to use a VPN for Sweden
VPNs are easy to set up and get started with. By following the step-by-step instructions as laid out below, you’ll be all set in a matter of minutes:
Here’s how to use a VPN for Sweden:
- Sign up with a reputable VPN provider. After extensively testing a number of VPNs, we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Now you’ll be able to download and install the appropriate VPN app for your device.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in the country of your choice, e.g., a Swedish VPN server to get a Swedish IP address or a US one to access US content.
- Access your preferred content, which should now be unblocked regardless of your physical location.
- Don’t panic if it doesn’t work immediately. You might have to clear your browser cache and cookies and try again. Alternatively, connect to another server in the same location, or contact your VPN’s customer support.
Best Sweden VPNs: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice VPN for Sweden.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Sweden:||1||2||3||4||5||6||Swedish servers||140+||50+||50+||100+||10+||10+||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Activity logs||None||None||No identifying data||No identifying data||No logs stored||None|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
The best VPNs for Sweden
There are many VPN providers out there to choose from, but not all offer a comparable service. To make it on the list of the best VPNs for Sweden, providers should meet the following standards:
- A wide network of servers across the world, including locations in Sweden
- Known to work well with geo-restricted streaming services
- Fast and reliable with minimal downtime
- Strong encryption parameters so your location remains hidden
- Allows simultaneous connections
- Provides top-notch customer support
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Sweden:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a Sweden VPN. It has a reputation for being privacy-focused. Its network of over 5,500 servers spans 60 countries, and Sweden alone houses over 140+ of them. As such, you won’t have any issues connecting to a server in the Scandinavian country or others in Europe and North America.
NordVPN pegs some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen, making it ideal for streaming. When you combine that with its proven ability to securely access streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, and ESPN, you’ve got a real winner. The service is highly customizable; users can select a server that optimizes certain tasks, including streaming HD video. This provider also offers a knowledge base on its site, through which you can look up which servers to use for specific tasks.
We don’t envisage any concerns on the privacy or encryption front. Panama-based NordVPN does not store any user data, so there’s little chance of it ever being exposed. At the same time, the provider has rigorous security standards, which include 256-bit encryption, the OpenVPN protocol, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and MacOS. A basic plan allows for six devices to connect concurrently.
- Exceptional speeds for HD streaming
- 5,500 servers in 60 countries, including 140+ servers in Sweden
- Works with most streaming services
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Keeps no logs at all
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Desktop app can be awkward to use
BEST VPN FOR SWEDEN:NordVPN is our #1 choice. With a large network of super-fast servers in Sweden and around the globe, this is a great all-rounder that works with Netflix and most other streaming services. Excellent privacy and security credentials. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes this a risk-free deal.
Read our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that provides a quality service. It is busy expanding its server network and now operates more than 3,200 in 100+ countries. Surfshark easily unblocks a ton of geo-restricted sites so you can enjoy all your usual content while in Sweden. Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more are just a few clicks away. It also houses servers within Sweden, so you can unblock Swedish content when you leave.
This VPN doesn’t keep logs and protects your data with 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch across all apps. You’ll also be able to take advantage of automatic wifi protection, multi-hop servers, and split tunneling.
Apps are available for Windows, Linus, MacOS, Android, and iOS. A big perk with this provider is there is no limit to the number of devices you can connect at a given time, making this an especially great deal.
- Solid unblocker of content
- Uncrackable encryption
- True zero-logs policy
- No connection limit
- 24/7 support
- Some tools can’t be used without a Surfshark One subscription
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a strong choice for a low-cost Sweden VPN. It has an expanding server network and great security and privacy features. Easily bypasses blocks. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a hardy VPN provider, incorporating powerful encryption standards, fast speeds, and a truly global network. At the time of writing, this provider offers more than 3,000 servers to choose from, including 50+ Swedish VPN servers. ExpressVPN reliably works with a variety of geo-restricted streaming media services, including Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and HBO. If you’re stuck, its live chat service should provide instantaneous support.
ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption; that’s considered to be an industry-leading standard. You can also switch from OpenVPN to Lightway, which offers higher speeds and the ability to secure your data while switching from mobile data to wifi. There’s an in-built internet kill switch, along with DNS leak protection, so you always remain secure within the encrypted tunnel. This provider has a policy of not storing any detailed user logs, including IP addresses.
It offers slick, easy-to-use apps for Android and iOS, as well as modern, intuitive desktop versions for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A single subscription allows for five simultaneous connections.
- Operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Sweden
- Access geo-restricted content from anywhere
- Fast and reliable choice, works flawlessly in Sweden
- Top-notch encryption, security, and privacy features are the default
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Slightly more expensive than some of its competitors
- Lack of advanced configuration options
LARGE NETWORK:ExpressVPN has a vast server network that is optimized for high-speed connections. Great privacy and security. Great for streaming. 30-day no-money-back guarantee.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is an exceptionally fast VPN that’s welcoming to newcomers. With more than 9,000 servers spread across 90 countries and 100+ in Sweden, you’re never too far away from a speedy, low-latency connection. Better yet, many of these servers are specially configured for streaming services like C More, Netflix, and TV4 Play.
This provider takes security and privacy very seriously; 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection are all included. The fact that it’s headquartered in Romania means it’s not required to store any user data. It backs that up with an internal policy of not logging any IP addresses or other data points that could identify web activity. Additional security features include an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking.
You can access the service on Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, or MacOS. At the moment, a single subscription allows for seven devices to connect concurrently.
- Operates 100+ servers in Sweden and over 9,000 around the globe
- Good security and doesn’t store user activity logs
- Impressive streaming and downloading speeds
- We found their apps easy to install and use
45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- Better suited to beginners than power users
BEGINNERS' CHOICE:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Works well in Sweden. Good option if you are looking for a fast, reliable connection and an easy-to-use interface. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is one of the few VPN providers that has chosen to operate its entire network of servers independently, as opposed to others that either rent space in server farms or outsource management to a third party. It does a decent job of it, too. The provider has over 2,000 servers in a global footprint of more than 50 countries. Around 30 servers are in Stockholm, Sweden’s capital city.
As is the norm, powerful encryption protocols are par for the course. Specifically, it offers 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch with WireGuard support. This means your IP address will remain safely out of harm’s way. IPVanish adheres to a strict no-logs policy, meaning there’s no retention of traffic or connection logs at all.
This provider allows unlimited devices to connect at the same time. Another nifty upgrade is its addition of 24/7 live chat for customer support. It offers apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS.
- Operates roughly 30 servers in Stockholm, and over 2,000 globally
- Impressive security and privacy features
- Owns its own servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Headquartered in the US — a Five Eyes member
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Generally solid for torrenters, P2P & Kodi users. Adhere to the highest standard of privacy but can struggle with unblocking some popular streaming sites. Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is actually headquartered in Sweden. It’s a fairly new entrant to the VPN landscape, but it punches above its weight with fast, robust speeds and an ability to access a whole heap of content. Some of the sites it manages to securely access are Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video.
At the moment, PrivateVPN’s server offering is relatively small, with a little over 200 servers in more than 63 countries (including in three Swedish cities). This provider performed admirably in our user review when judged from a speed and encryption standpoint; this makes it a good choice for the entire gamut of web activity.
Strong security and privacy features are embedded into PrivateVPN’s product. Users can choose between 128 and 256-bit encryption and are also offered perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A subscription allows for 10 devices to connect simultaneously.
The provider offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Operates speed-optimized servers in Gothenburg, Stockholm, and Kista
- No issues with major streaming platforms
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small number of servers
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is consistently reliable. Good for general-purpose use and HD Streaming. Lacks 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access (PIA) has a network of several thousand servers which are located across more than 80 countries, including Sweden. This allows you to access content not only in Sweden but countries worldwide. It offers respectable speeds for browsing, streaming, and torrenting. Furthermore, you can use PIA to enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections — ideal for sharing with family members in your household.
PIA has strong security. It uses 256-bit AES encryption, offers a kill switch, and protects you from DNS leaks. Just as important, PIA operates a no-logs policy, so you don’t need to worry about anyone seeing what you do online. Should you need it, live chat and email support is at hand.
Download a PIA app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions can be found for Chrome and Firefox, although use with routers requires manual setup.
- Thousands of servers available (including in Sweden)
- Good speeds for streaming content lag and buffer-free
- Secure as many devices as you like at the same time
- Struggles to unblock some streaming services
- Doesn’t work well in China
PRIVACY PROTECTION:Private Internet Access offers thousands of servers and has good speeds for trouble-free browsing and streaming. Use it on all of your devices at once. Operates a no-logs policy and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Sweden VPN testing methodology
There are hundreds of consumer VPNs on the market. Most of those services use marketing tricks to attract customers, but few of them live up to those claims. To ensure that we only recommend the very best VPNs available on the market, we use a scientific VPN testing methodology. Below, we have included some of the things we looked for when curating this list of the best VPNs for Sweden:
- Leak tests. A reliable VPN must not suffer any DNS, WebRTC, or IP leaks. A VPN with leaks fails to provide the privacy it advertises. This makes using that VPN risky because it provides a false sense of security while allowing ISPs, local network providers, government agencies, and websites to track you online. We test VPNs thoroughly to ensure the apps are free of any leaks.
- No logs policy. How a VPN treats your data is important. Many VPNs harvest some data and use it to track users in one way or another. The words of these keep records of what users visit online, which can be used to invade your privacy. We only recommend VPNs that keep no logs or only store non-invasive connection logs that do not reveal what users did while connected.
- Fast global server network. A reliable VPN has servers located worldwide to allow you to access restricted services from that region. However, the best VPNs have fast servers and fast VPN protocols that also let you HD stream, play games, torrent, and do other data-intensive tasks without buffering or lag.
- Apps for all platforms. For a VPN to be useful, it must have apps for all your devices. We recommend VPNs with secure apps for Windows. macOS, iOS, and Android. We also check those apps for important privacy and security features such as a kill switch, the OpenVPN protocol, and obfuscation.
- Excellent unblocking. Consumers want to use their VPN to access services like Netflix, Disney +, BBC iPlayer, Hulu etc. A VPN for Sweden should also be able to access Swedish internet banking services and Swedish TV platforms like SVT Play, TV4 Play, and Kanal 5 Play while abroad. In this guide, we recommended VPNs that work to access these important services.
Using a free VPN in Sweden
While we have highlighted the best premium VPN services for Sweden — it’s likely that you’ll stumble across several free offerings during your hunt for a suitable provider. These are tempting for first-time users, but there are issues involved with these risky services.
Most free VPN providers are trying to monetize their service via spammy advertisements or frequent interruptions to upgrade to paid services. As such, they’re not interested in handing out a seamless experience for users who don’t cough up an initial sum of cash. Practically, this means that you could be subjected to weak encryption standards, endure wait times to connect to a server, and have to deal with data caps. The latter means that a free VPN is typically a poor choice for data-intensive tasks like streaming video, playing online games, or even accessing banking and financial services.
Another reason to opt out of using a free VPN is the sordid acts that some providers have engaged in. These include leveraging user bandwidth to build botnet armies and infecting host devices with malware in order to mine data. The end cost of using these services can be damaging to your wallet and peace of mind.
Why you should use a VPN in Sweden
There are many reasons to use a VPN when at home and traveling abroad. These range from accessing geographically restricted streaming platforms to using public wi-fi safely to staying anonymous and secure online.
The Spridningskollen Initiaitve
Despite its status as a first-world country, Sweden is actually one of the world’s largest consumers of pirated content. This dynamic harks back to its early days as the host of the well-known torrenting site, The Pirate Bay.
According to the New York Times, Swedes illegally downloaded 280 million films and television shows in 2014, with nearly one-third of the population admitting to regularly engaging in the practice. More recently, Mediavision claimed that there are almost 3 million pirates in Nordic countries, with around 17% of internet users in Sweden engaging in online piracy.
So why is this relevant? Well, there’s the Spridningskollen (Sharing Watch) initiative to consider. This was created by a private debt collector, Gothia Law, and a PR agency, Prime. They operate on behalf of copyright holders, Scanbox Entertainment, Noble Entertainment, Atlantic, and Crystalis Entertainment. In a nutshell, the initiative allows copyright-holders to gain access to your personal internet data via your ISP without involving the police or a court summons.
Spridningskollen aims to use special software to check whether you’re downloading copyrighted material. If found guilty, you can be charged up to 250 $US for each violation. The rate of indictments has been slow, with only about 11 cases between 2009 and 2012, but the hunt is on. The use of a private debt collector reinforces fears that demands for payments will be aggressive, as will efforts to track your online behavior. If you’re currently in Sweden, torrenting on an open connection without any additional privacy or security features, then you’re placing yourself in great jeopardy and are at risk of a court summons. In fact, some ISPs collaborate with Spridningskollen as they’re liable to collect a part of the booty.
Swedish Privacy Laws
Privacy laws in the country are somewhat of a mixed bag. On paper, there are robust mechanisms in place for Swedish residents to access the unfiltered and open web free of any restrictions or other bottlenecks. These correspond with its image as a bastion for human liberty, free speech, and a vibrant democracy.
However, the country has taken its enforcement of intellectual property rights to a level where it impinges on personal freedom. As outlined in the previous section, private debt collectors and copyright trolls have free rein in the country to extract money from unsuspecting victims.
In 2009, Sweden passed the FRA-law, a legal measure that sanctioned the surveillance of internet traffic content by state authorities. This generated controversy and stoked debate because the laws went beyond the mandate of surveillance outlined by the European Commission.
There have also been attempts by ISPs in the country to force users to pay for VoIP services like Skype. Local telecommunications provider TeliaSonera attempted this in early 2012 but had to retract the decision after coming under intense criticism. Instead, they announced two separate pricing plans for mobile traffic, leaving it to consumers to fork over more cash for better speeds.
Watching Swedish TV
Tens of thousands of Swedish residents travel outside their country each year. Many more are residents outside the Scandinavian state, either for work or education. Obtaining a Swedish IP address can help you stay in touch with local programming.
Swedish television, dominated by Sveriges Television, TV4 Group, Modern Times Group, and Discovery Networks Sweden, operates a range of both free-to-stream and premium (paid) packages. Some of the channels these companies offer will accept IP addresses from any part of the world, while others will require a Swedish one as well as an account.
Accessing banking services abroad
Most banking and financial institutions don’t geo-restrict their services but usually impose strict compliance controls if you try to log in from a device with a non-local IP address. This could mean answering additional security questions or talking to a customer support representative.
In both cases, it’s easier to simply use a VPN to get a Swedish IP address when residing outside the country. Simply select a server located in Sweden, and you’re good to access your online banking safely.
VPN for Sweden FAQ
Does NordVPN have VPN servers in Stockholm?
NordVPN has some 140+ servers in Sweden at the time of writing. Better still, all of these servers are located in Stockholm! This is particularly useful if you’re in Stockholm and want a local server for faster speeds. Of course, if you’re traveling abroad, connecting to a server in Stockholm for a Swedish IP address ensures you can continue to access all of your favorite websites and services even if they’re geo-blocked.
Are Swedish VPNs any good for playing games?
All of the best VPNs for Sweden are highly suitable for playing games. Online gaming requires fast, unthrottled speeds. That’s why we only choose the fastest VPNs which include unlimited bandwidth for playing with low ping. It also helps that these VPNs offer servers in dozens of countries. That way, you can bypass restrictions and play your favorite games. Note also that the VPNs we’ve recommended also protect you from DDoS attacks.
Are VPNs legal in Sweden?
VPNs are legal in most of the world and Sweden is no exception. Of course, you can still be found liable for any crimes you commit while connected but as long as you don’t download copyrighted material, access illegal content, or do anything else that breaks Swedish law, you should be fine.
Disclaimer: Although we’ve spent hours researching this topic, we are not legal experts. As such, nothing we’ve said above should be taken as legal advice. We encourage you to consult local laws before trying to use a VPN in a foreign country.
What can I watch with a Swedish IP address?
Once you’ve connected to a Swedish VPN server, you should be able to access any service that someone who’s actually in Sweden can. This includes streaming platforms like C More and TV4 Play. Here’s a brief rundown of these platforms’ most popular shows:
- Love Island Sverige
- Burden of Truth
- Sveriges Masterkock
- Eating with my Ex
- En Spion Bland Vanner
- Handen pa Hjartat
- The Real Housewives of Miami