With a few major exceptions like Netflix, streaming services tend to operate exclusively in one or two countries. This means that if you go abroad, you’ll likely have problems trying to access Swiss services like SRF, RTS, or RSI. In fact, if you try to live stream RTS from outside of Switzerland, you’ll see an error (“Pour des raisons juridiques, cette vidéo n’est disponible qu’en Suisse.“) which roughly translates to “For legal reasons, this video is only available in Switzerland.”
Most region-locked services rely on the user’s IP address to find out which country they’re in. Here’s the thing: when you connect to a VPN, websites can only see the address of your chosen server. In other words, if you connect to a Swiss server, you’ll be able to watch Swiss TV, regardless of where you are in the world. Plus, since VPNs encrypt your traffic, you can stream as much as you like, safe in the knowledge that nobody is monitoring your activities.
How to watch Swiss TV online from abroad with a VPN
VPNs might seem a little intimidating at first but they’re really quite easy to use. Just follow the simple steps below.
Here’s how to live stream Swiss TV online using a VPN:
- First, you’ll have to decide which VPN to use (we recommend NordVPN).
- Next, download the app. Make sure to install it on any device you intend to watch Swiss TV on (most providers allow at least five connections at once).
- Log in and connect to a Swiss VPN server. In doing so, you’ll obtain a Swiss IP address, which will trick services like SRF into letting you watch from outside Switzerland.
- Try playing a video on your chosen service. You should find that it starts immediately, but if not, try clearing your cookies and reloading the page.
- Still having trouble? Connect to another server to change your IP address. Last but not least, why not contact your VPN’s support directly for in-depth help?
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for watching Swiss TV abroad with no restrictions for a month—ideal if you want to test out its streaming capabilities before committing.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
There’s no need to spend hours agonizing over which VPN to use. While it’s true that each service has its own strengths and weaknesses, in general, a well-rounded VPN will outperform one that specializes in one specific area. To ensure that you end up with a reliable, versatile VPN, we base our selections on the criteria below:
- Provides access to multiple Swiss servers
- Is fast enough for streaming live HD video without any noticeable lag
- Can unblock the most popular Swiss streaming services from abroad
- Doesn’t record any personally identifiable information
- Uses effectively-uncrackable encryption and various other security features
- Has apps for all major operating systems and devices
Here’s a quick rundown of the best VPNs for watching your favorite TV channels from back home while traveling abroad. If one catches your eye, just keep reading; we’ll be covering each service in more detail later.
Best VPNs for Swiss TV:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for watching Swiss TV. Fantastic unblocking ability, high speeds, and a comprehensive package of security features. Further, it keeps no logs.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. With no connection limit, a strong security offering, and the ability to unblock all manner of Swiss streaming platforms abroad, Surfshark is well worthy of your consideration.
- ExpressVPN: Unblocks major services with ease and is more than fast enough for HD streaming. Has a strong focus on user privacy too.
- CyberGhost: This no-fuss VPN makes it easy to watch TV from Switzerland abroad. It offers solid speeds, plenty of security features (all of which are pre-configured), and 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: This VPN’s combination of high speeds, powerful security features, and great unblocking ability make it ideal for anyone looking to watch Swiss TV abroad.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in dozens of countries. Good speeds and allows 10 simultaneous connections. Uses encryption and has a no-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Very fast server speeds and reliable unblocking of geo-restricted websites and services. Connect all of your devices simultaneously.
Best VPNs for watching Swiss TV online from abroad
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for streaming Swiss TV from anywhere in the world:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 100 high-speed Swiss servers and, in total, over 5,000 spread across 60 countries. It’s good for unblocking Swiss streaming services, and is also able to access particularly troublesome platforms like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. This, coupled with its strong speeds and six-connection limit, make it an excellent way to stream Swiss TV both at home and on the go.
This service offers a vast array of security and privacy features including a customizable kill switch, 256-bit encryption, automatic malware-scanning, an ad-blocker, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Users can even connect to special obfuscated servers for a further layer of privacy. NordVPN is a zero-logs provider, so your privacy is all but guaranteed. If you run into difficulty, you can contact support 24/7 over live chat and email.
NordVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV and Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Certain wireless routers are supported via manual installation.
- Over 100 fast servers in Switzerland
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Fantastic security offering
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Single month plan is quite expensive
BEST VPN FOR SWISS TV:NordVPN offers flawless streaming thanks to its high-speed Swiss servers and fantastic unblocking capabilities. Its security and privacy features are top-notch too, and there’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee for you to try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has more than 3,000 servers spread across 65 countries, Switzerland included. With strong unblocking ability and solid speeds, it’s a great choice for anyone looking to stream Swiss TV abroad. What really sets Surfshark apart from its competitors, though, is the fact that it allows users to connect as many devices as they like.
This service has a strong focus on privacy and security. It doesn’t log any data that could identify you and secures your traffic with a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. There’s also a combined ad-blocker and malware scanner, plus a NoBorders mode that lets you circumvent internet censorship while traveling.
Surfshark apps can be installed on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux devices. This service also offers apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for supported routers.
- Fast VPN with excellent unblocking ability
- Works with over 30 Netflix libraries
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections
- Powerful security features such as MultiHop servers
- Includes 24-hour customer support
- Switching servers is occasionally slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark not only unblocks Swiss TV channels from abroad, it uses cutting-edge security features to ensure that you can watch in the utmost privacy. This service has no connection limit and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee,
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has a network of more than 3,000 servers across 94 countries (this of course included Switzerland). It’s a consistently fast service with excellent unblocking ability, which means it’s ideal for anyone looking to stream Swiss TV from abroad. Of course, ExpressVPN can also access platforms like Netflix US and BBC iPlayer, so it’s a strong choice for anyone regardless of where they live. Users can connect up to five of their devices at once.
This VPN takes your security very seriously. It uses DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, and a kill switch to secure your traffic. What’s more, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data, which means that once connected, you’re effectively untraceable. While this service is very user-friendly, support is on hand 24/7 via email and live chat.
ExpressVPN provides Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV apps. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Users looking to protect all of their devices at once can take advantage of custom router firmware.
- Lets you stream RTS, SRF, and RSI from anywhere
- Thousands of high-speed servers
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- A little more expensive than some rivals
HIGHLY DEPENDABLE:ExpressVPN is a reliable service with fast speeds, excellent unblocking ability, and a strong selection of security features. Further, it doesn’t log any data that could identify you. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 7,000 servers in 90 countries around the world including Switzerland. Its speeds are fast enough to stream live HD video without any noticeable buffering and, best of all, it’s capable of unblocking a wide range of Swiss streaming services. This VPN is extremely user-friendly and allows you to secure up to seven of your devices at once.
All of this service’s security features come pre-configured, so there’s very little setup required. In other words, you’re automatically protected by 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, malware-scanning, ad-blocking, and a kill switch that stops sending data the moment your connection drops. Most importantly, CyberGhost doesn’t store any details of your activities. If you run into any issues, you can reach customer support staff around the clock over email or live chat.
CyberGhost has Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV apps. It can be manually configured for use with supported network routers while Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Fast speeds and great unblocking ability
- Designed with beginners in mind
- Comprehensive security and privacy protections
- Up to seven simultaneous connections per account
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
SIMPLE YET VERSATILE:CyberGhost is great for novice users looking to watch Swiss TV abroad. It boasts high speeds, an impressive range of security features, and an allowance of seven simultaneous connections. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than many other services. However, its roughly 200 servers cover 60+ countries (including Switzerland) and provide extremely high speeds. Further, this VPN is capable of accessing stubborn platforms like Netflix Switzerland, something most of its rivals struggle to do. PrivateVPN allows users to protect up to six of their devices at once.
You’ll be pleased to know that PrivateVPN is strong on security. Its 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch ensure your activities are safe from snoopers, while the optional stealth mode gives you the ability to bypass especially strict internet blocking. This is a zero-logs provider, and as such, it can’t reveal your browsing habits even if asked to. You can get help over live chat 22 hours each day and email support is available around the clock.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you’d prefer, it can be manually installed on select home routers.
- One of the fastest VPNs around
- Unblocks all manner of region-locked services
- Strong focus on security and privacy
- Very fast response to email enquiries
- Far fewer servers than others in this list offer
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
EXCEPTIONAL SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is one of the speediest services around and unblocks plenty of geo-restricted services, allowing you to live stream Swiss TV abroad. It has a wide range of security features and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has thousands of servers across dozens of countries. This of course includes Switzerland, so you can stream the likes of SRF 1 and ARD while traveling abroad. Speeds are more than fast enough for streaming in high definition, all without performance issues such as lag and buffering. Once signed up, you’ll be able to use your PIA account to secure up to 10 devices at once.
Aside from being a reliable option for streaming Swiss TV from anywhere, PIA stands out for its comprehensive security offering. This is made up of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Just important, it operates a no-logs policy. While this VPN is easy to use even for beginners, live chat and email support are at hand should you need any assistance.
You can get a Swiss IP address through PIA’s apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available while it can be manually configured to work with routers.
- Servers in plenty of countries worldwide such as Switzerland
- Unthrottled speeds for streaming Swiss TV without lag
- Secure up to 10 devices at once
- No-logs policy helps keep your identity intact
- Unable to unblock some popular streaming services
- One of many VPNs that doesn’t work well in China
SERVERS WORLDWIDE:Private Internet Access has a global network of servers. Good speeds for watching Swiss TV from overseas. Can be used on up to 10 devices simultaneously and operates a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN has a smaller network of servers but does offer servers in Switzerland as well as countries including the US, UK, and Australia. In our most recent speed tests at the time of writing, it averaged an impressive 247 Mbps. This makes it one of the fastest VPNs around and, as a result, ideal for streaming. With it, you can stream Swiss TV such as SRF 1 and international platforms such as Netflix and HBO Max.
Another benefit of Atlas VPN is that you’ll be able to use it on as many of your devices as you like simultaneously. When it comes to your security, Atlas VPN offers the essentials such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch feature. It also doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user.
Atlas VPN apps are available for desktop and mobile (Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS). However, you’ll need to configure it manually if you want to use it with Linux or your wifi router.
- Very good speeds for streaming Swiss TV while overseas
- Works well with many Swiss and international streaming platforms
- Connect all of your devices via a single account
- Offers important security features such as encryption
- Not the best customer service
FAST AND RELIABLE:Atlas VPN is highly suitable for streaming thanks to its fast speeds and consistent unblocking. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections and uses encryption to secure your data. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Finding the best VPNs for watching Swiss TV: our methodology
We test many different VPNs in order to determine whether they’re suitable for watching Swiss TV online from abroad. Here, we explain our methodology which helped us find the very best VPNs available:
- Servers in Switzerland: First and foremost, you need access to servers in Switzerland if you want to be able to watch Swiss TV while on vacation. However, all of the VPNs listed in this post have servers across dozens of countries, allowing you to access even more region-locked content.
- Speed: In order to find the fastest VPNs for streaming Swiss TV (or indeed even the likes of Netflix and Disney+), we conduct speed tests. With fast servers and unlimited bandwidth, the best VPNs for Swiss TV let you stream in high resolution without having to contend with lag or buffering.
- Unblocking: While some VPNs struggle to bypass geographic restrictions, others excel in this area. Of course, the only way to find out how a VPN performs is to test it out for ourselves. The VPNs listed were found to be among the most consistent unblockers of Swiss TV content.
- Security: If you’re traveling outside Switzerland, you may well find yourself using public wifi. This comes with some security risks although you can stay safe with a VPN. We only recommend VPNs that provide high-end encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch feature.
- Privacy: Some VPNs aren’t safe to use if you want to stay anonymous online. That’s because they keep identifying logs which may be shared or intercepted, compromising your privacy. We’ve looked at 140 VPN logging policies, finding those that allow you to keep your identity intact.
- Ease of use: Some VPNs make it more than a little complicated to connect to a server, adjust settings, or contact support. With our hands-on testing experience with dozens of VPNs we’ve identified VPNs that provide the most beginner-friendly experience with 24/7 support available in most cases.
- Value for money: Each of the best VPNs for streaming Swiss TV comes with a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days, allowing you to try it risk-free. Better still, you can save even more on the price of a subscription by taking advantage of the VPN discount coupons we’ve provided.
We look for all of the above as part of our VPN testing methodology. This sees us carry out multiple tests on VPNs in order to get a true feel for what each offers.
VPNs for Swiss TV: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to watch Swiss TV abroad?
Free VPNs are rarely as good a deal as they appear. To begin with, they tend to have massive user bases, yet only a handful of servers. This leads to extremely slow speeds, which effectively prevent you from watching anything online unless you’re willing to settle for low-resolution video or wait long periods of time for buffering. Additionally, there’s no guarantee your provider will even offer a Swiss server, and even if it does, free VPNs are almost always blacklisted by major streaming services.
VPNs are designed to enhance your privacy, but by using the wrong free service, you could actively undermine your own efforts. Research has shown that app stores are plagued by Trojans pretending to be free VPNs, and many of the surveyed apps failed to use any encryption. Major providers aren’t necessarily any safer; even industry giant Hola was caught selling user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
The best way to protect yourself online is to use a reputable VPN with a clearly-worded, privacy-first logging policy.
Which Swiss TV channels can I stream abroad with a VPN?
Take a look below for a short list of Swiss streaming platforms you can unblock with a VPN. Don’t worry if you wanted to use a service that isn’t listed; realistically, you should be able to access most of your usual services once connected to the VPN.
How else can a VPN help me?
VPNs aren’t just for unblocking streaming sites: they also let you bypass country-wide regional restrictions. For example, once connected, you can access your usual social media or online services, even if they aren’t normally accessible from wherever you are in the world. As a bonus, your VPN will encrypt your traffic too, ensuring that it can’t be read by the local government, your employer, or the owner of any public wifi hotspots you connect to.
Often, online banking services have automatic fraud-prevention measures that kick in when your account is accessed from abroad. However, if you’re worried about getting locked out of your Credit Suisse or UBS account, just connect to a Swiss VPN server ahead of time. This makes it less likely that the system will realize you’re in a different country, and reduces the chance of you having to call your bank from abroad.
See also: Best VPNs for Switzerland