Due to licensing agreements, Korean TV channels and streaming services like KBS World, OnDemandKorea, and Kakao TV aren’t normally available in other countries. If you’re traveling abroad, you’ll need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with South Korean servers to continue watching your favorite Korean content.
Once you connect to the VPN, you’ll be given a Korean IP address. This makes it appear as though you’re browsing from South Korea, side-stepping regional restrictions and encrypting your data so you can securely access geo-restricted content from anywhere.
Here’s a quick guide to our favorite VPNs for streaming Korean content:
Best VPNs for watching Korean TV shows abroad:
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice for Korean streaming platforms. Boasts reliable servers and superfast speeds, plus the ability to access Netflix Korea. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly VPN with advanced security features. Works with plenty of Korean channels and can secure all of your devices with a single subscription.
- ExpressVPN: Boasts speedy Korean servers, powerful security features, and a stress-free streaming experience.
- CyberGhost: Strong security features and plenty of fast servers in South Korea. An excellent option for anyone looking to watch Korean drama abroad.
- IPVanish: A quality service with robust security and a strict no-log policy that’s great for streaming content abroad. An excellent option for any international traveler.
- PrivateVPN: Stream geo-blocked content anywhere with this speedy, zero-logs provider. A single subscription can protect up to 10 devices at a time.
- Hotspot Shield: Reliable VPN service that can stream Korean TV channels and secure your internet connection from just about anywhere.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Korean TV with no restrictions for a month. As such, it’s a great choice for anyone hoping to keep streaming while on vacation abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Korean TV from outside Korea with a VPN
It’s remarkably simple to stream Korean TV channels abroad. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be watching SBS Korea, Naver TV, or your favorite Korean drama in no time.
Here’s how to watch Korean TV shows online from anywhere:
- First, you’ll have to choose a Virtual Private Network (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the app on any device you’d like to stream on.
- When you’re ready, connect to a server in South Korea. This will provide you with a South Korean IP address, which is what Korean TV channels require. In our experience, servers in capital cities tend to be the most reliable, so Seoul is a good place to start if there are multiple options
- Lastly, visit a Korean streaming platform and play something. You should find that videos now load without any issues.
- If you’re still seeing an error message or find streaming impossible, clear your cache and reload the page. Failing this, we’ve always found that the best way to get help is to or contact your VPN’s support team using its chat feature.
The best VPNs for Korean TV – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Korean TV.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Korean TV||1||2||3||4||5||6||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for watching Korean TV online
Your main goal might be to watch Korean TV channels but a good VPN has to be able to hide your real identity, shield your internet activities from snoopers, and protect again cyber attacks. For that reason, our top VPNs for South Korean content had to meet the following criteria:
- Has at least one South Korean server, preferably more
- Provides reliable access to Korean TV streaming platforms like Netflix Korea
- Maintains an average speed that’s fast enough for HD streaming
- Uses advanced security features to keep your activities private
- Follows a strict no-logs policy
- Can be installed on PC, mobile phone, and ideally, even games consoles (via router installation)
Here are the best VPNs for watching Korean TV channels from anywhere:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for Korean TV. It offers access to over 5,500 servers in 60+ countries including South Korea, making it a strong choice for high-bandwidth activities like live streaming international content, playing online games, and torrenting. Better still, with an average connection speed of almost 200 Mbps, this is one of the fastest VPNs on the market.
This provider boasts a suite of excellent security features, including 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. NordVPN has a strict no-log policy and recently introduced a MeshNet feature that can help you securely connect to your devices in other locations.Customer support is available 24/7 via email and live chat.
NordVPN supports all major operating systems including Windows, Mac, Android, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, iOS, and Linux. It can be manually installed on routers so that you can even secure devices such as Smart TVs or gaming consoles.
- Works with a vast range of Korean channels, including Netflix KOR
- Steady connections and very high speeds
- Can even secure your online activity in places like China
- Doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Collects advertising IDs on mobile devices
BEST VPN FOR KOREAN TV:NordVPN is our first choice. Great for Netflix Korea, Kakao TV, and more. Provides fast servers in South Korea and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our complete review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has 3,200+ servers in 100 countries, South Korea included. There’s no limit on the number of simultaneous connections you can have, and with an average speed of almost 200 Mbps, few VPNs can claim to be faster. Best of all, Surfshark offers reliable access to some of South Korea’s most popular services, like OnDemand Korea and KBS World.
This service uses 256-bit encryption to keep you safe online. Other key features include IPv6 and DNS leak protection, a kill switch, automatic ad-blocking, and a NoBorders mode that lets you bypass especially strict country-wide internet blocking. Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy and has been independently audited to prove it. Users can contact support at any time using the live chat feature on Surfshark’s website.
Surfshark has apps for most popular devices, from mobile phones to Android TV boxes and Amazon Fire TV. It can even be manually installed on routers.
- Quick download speeds
- Works well with Korean streaming platforms
- Allows unlimited devices
- Robust security and privacy
- A couple of features require a Surfshark One subscription
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a premium VPN with a low price. With strong security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s ideal for streaming Korean TV abroad.
Still not sure? We go into even more detail in our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is great for watching Korean channels abroad. It has one of the largest networks we’ve seen, with servers in South Korea and 93 other countries, and it’s fast enough for a flawless streaming experience. This VPN has no issues with most Korean TV platforms and as if that wasn’t enough, it offers unlimited bandwidth and allows up to five simultaneous connections at once.
This service has all of the security and privacy features you’d expect from a premium VPN. For instance, it includes an automatic kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. ExpressVPN follows a true no-logs policy and provides its own Lightway protocol capable of maximizing download speed over long distances. If you run into any issues, 24/7 support is on-hand over live chat and email.
ExpressVPN has apps for Android, Android TV, iOS, MacOS, Windows, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Further, it offers custom firmware that allows users to more easily install the service on supported routers. This is particularly helpful if you’d like to protect devices that don’t have full VPN support, such as game consoles.
- Fast servers in South Korea
- Quality VPN that keeps no logs
- Multi-platform support
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Doesn’t work with Netflix Korea
- Monthly subscription a little pricier than we’d like
WATCH TV ANYWHERE:ExpressVPN is great for shielding your online activity and watching Korean drama abroad. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you still have questions, why not check out our full ExpressVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is the only provider in this list with a specially-configured server for watching Netflix Korea. Of course, it also works with other Korean TV streaming services like KBS World and OnDemand Korea, plus a wide range of international content. Further, CyberGhost provides superfast speeds and servers designed for online games, torrenting, and concealing your online activity as much as possible.
First things first: this VPN follows a strict no-log policy and has been audited to prove it. There are loads of powerful features built-in too, like uncrackable encryption, leak protection, a kill switch, and the ability to connect via a random port. CyberGhost even lets you create smart rules capable of (for instance) connecting to a server in South Korea whenever you use public wifi hotspots. Live chat is available 24/7.
CyberGhost supports a wide range of desktop and mobile devices including most iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, Linux, and Android TV systems. You can also manually install it on your router to protect older Smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- One of the largest networks around
- Access some of South Korea’s most popular titles abroad
- Easy to use
- Strong encryption and a kill switch
- Doesn’t work in China
- No option for local networking
GREAT FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost has apps for all popular devices and makes it easy to access Korean streaming platforms while traveling. Has a 14-day money-back guarantee on monthly plans and 45-day guarantee on anything longer.
Check out our full CyberGhost VPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has a network of more than 2,000 servers in 60+ countries (South Korea included). What’s more, it boasts an average download speed of over 270 Mbps, meaning it’s ideal for streaming content from live Korean channels abroad. Further, as this VPN has no connection limit, you’ll be able to protect all of your devices simultaneously.
This lightweight VPN is packed with advanced security features, including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Additionally, it allows users to block all local connections or scramble their OpenVPN traffic, which is useful for bypassing particularly strict VPN blocking. IPVanish doesn’t log any details of your activities, so your privacy is in good hands. Need help? Live chat-based support is available 24/7, just in case you need it.
IPVanish offers apps for Android, iOS, Android TV, MacOS, and Windows. Additionally, it can be manually configured for use with Linux systems or supported wireless routers.
- Consistently high speeds
- Works with a lot of Korean streaming services
- Powerful security and privacy features
- Unlimited devices
- Look elsewhere if you want to watch Netflix Korea
- Based in the US – a 5 eyes member
GREAT FOR PRIVACY:IPVanish is a speedy provider with a strict zero-logs policy. As such, you’ll be able to watch OnDemand Korea, KBS World, and more without worrying about who might be monitoring your activities. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee on one-year plans.
Take a look at the in-depth IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a fairly small network but it does cover South Korea and 60+ other countries. Not only that, but it offers unlimited bandwidth and works with with a good number of Korean streaming platforms (though not Korean Netflix, unfortunately). Its average connection speed is respectable and users are permitted up to 10 simultaneous connections, which is twice the industry average.
This VPN has strong security features too. Its 256-bit encryption, customizable kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks ensure that snoopers can’t see your activities, and for even greater privacy, you can turn on stealth mode. PrivateVPN follows a strict no-logging policy, meaning it can’t reveal details of your activities under any circumstances. Support is available via email or live chat, 22 hours per day.
PrivateVPN has Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS apps. If you’d prefer to protect every device on your network, you can manually install this VPN on select routers and some Linux distros.
- Steady speeds and novice-friendly apps
- Among the best for streaming
- Great set of privacy features
- Live chat support not 24/7
- Only has one Korean server
TOP-TIER SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is security-conscious and works with a huge range of popular streaming services. It even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our comprehensive PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has an impressive network, with more than 1,800 servers in 80+ countries including South Korea. This service has very high speeds and unlimited bandwidth, making it a natural choice for HD streaming. Best of all, it works with all manner of services, including MBC, Netflix US, and Amazon Prime Video. HSS recently doubled its connection limit, allowing you to secure up to 10 devices simultaneously.
This VPN keeps your activities private with a range of excellent security features including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. It can be configured to connect automatically whenever you use a public wifi hotspot, and you can even choose to let specific websites bypass the VPN entirely. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any personally identifiable data. If you need help, you can contact support via email or 24/7 live chat.
Hotspot Shield allows users to install apps for MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux. It’s also possible to manually configure this VPN for use with supported wireless routers.
- Fast enough for lag-free streaming
- Works with a good range of Korean channels
- Decent security features
- Only has streaming servers in two countries (and not South Korea)
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
FAST AND SECURE:Hotspot Shield is quick and reliable, with a major focus on user security. Of course, it’s also able to unblock a host of Korean streaming services and comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our complete review of Hotspot Shield.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for Korean TV
Not every Virtual Private Network is good for watching Korean channels abroad. Some prioritize security more than streaming, for instance, and won’t work with a particular service outside South Korea. Here’s a quick guide to what we expect from the best VPNs for Korean TV:
- Server choice: To access services like Ondemand Korea abroad, your VPN needs at least one Korean server. We’d prefer multiple, spread across multiple cities so you never have to rely on one that’s too far away.
- Speed: Live streaming isn’t the most data-intensive task, but you’ll still need a decent connection speed. Our team has hands-on experience with each of the VPNs above and regularly speed test them to make sure they’re fast enough
- Streaming ability: It’s not enough to have a South Korean IP address, you also have to be able to access a wide range of popular streaming services securely. We test VPNs with popular platforms like Korean Netflix, Naver TV, and Disney+ to make sure you always have something to watch.
- Security: To help shield your online activities, we only recommend VPNs that have 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a no-logs policy. Additional security features are always appreciated, though.
- User-friendliness: We prioritize services with beginner-friendly apps, free customer support, and apps for a wide range of platforms. Further, we keep an eye out for any other ease-of-use features like unlimited connections or streaming-optimized servers.
- Price: In a bid to get you a premium VPN without breaking the bank, we hunt down any deals, discounts, or trials that are available. We’ll also mention any guarantees, and often try to go through the refund process ourselves to see if it’s really as easy as it seems.
Check out our full VPN testing methodology post for more details.
Korean TV FAQs
Can I live stream Korean TV using a free VPN?
Free VPNs can be tempting but we strongly advise against using one to stream Korean TV channels from abroad. For a start, most free services won’t offer Korean servers and any that do are likely to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of users this attracts. Assuming you can get connected, you’ll likely experience extremely slow speeds, which leads to choppy playback and makes live streaming all but impossible.
You should note that these services can pose a real threat to your security too. In fact, research indicates that many free VPN apps aren’t as privacy-conscious as they claim. Of course, you could also end up installing one of the many Trojans designed to look like a free VPN, which comes with its own set of risks.
The best way to keep your online activities secure is to use a reputable VPN with a no-logging policy and a record of standing up for its users’ privacy.
How else can a VPN help me?
VPNs are useful for all kinds of things. For instance, you can use them to browse safely while on public wifi hotspots, bypass country-wide restrictions, or simply stream your favorite content while traveling abroad.
Can I use a VPN to access Korean online banking?
Have you ever been locked out of an account because someone has tried to log into it from abroad? This kind of automated system can be hugely beneficial if it works properly, but it can often cause problems for international travelers. The solution is to connect to a VPN server in Korea and you should be able to access your IBK, Shinhan, or KEB account without any issues.
Which Korean TV channels can I stream abroad with a VPN?
With the right VPN, you’ll be able to access a huge range of Korean streaming services, no matter where you are in the world. We’ve listed a few of the most popular below but really, once connected, you shouldn’t have any issues using any of your regular services abroad:
- KBS World
- SBS Korea
- Netflix Korea
- TV Chosun
Will a VPN for Korean TV slow down my internet connection?
A VPN routes your internet traffic via one of its servers before it goes to its intended destination (the website or service you’re trying to access). This process can slow your connection somewhat. However, the fastest VPNs (all of which have unlimited bandwidth) offer such good performance that you’re unlikely to notice a difference, particularly if you’re connected to a server close to your physical location.
How can I watch Korean drama for free?
There are a ton of legal websites offering free-to-watch Korean drama. For instance, YouTube, Naver TV, Tubi, iFlix, IQIYI, and WeTV all allow you to stream popular shows without paying (though you will have to watch ads).
If you’re willing to pay a little, there are even more options. Netflix has a ton of K-Drama, from the platform’s most popular show of all time, Squid Game to classic Crash Landing on You. Other services, such as Amazon Prime Video, KOCOWA, and VIU, may be an option too, depending on where you are in the world.