If you use iFollow to watch football, you will need a VPN to watch as usual when you go on holiday. Although iFollow is available worldwide, the service is different for subscribers in the UK. This means you will miss out on some features when you travel abroad – unless you use a VPN to get a valid UK IP address.
It is also worth noting that iFollow is more costly in the UK. The matches cost £10 each, rather than $7 USD. In addition, due to British laws, you can’t stream any of the games that happen on Saturday afternoons. As a result, you may want to connect to an IP address in the US if you travel to the UK from America.
A VPN lets you spoof your location. As a result, you can watch every game no matter where you travel. What’s more, VPNs are a great option for anybody travelling, as they protect your data and help to conceal your online activities when using public wi-fi.
Just bear in mind that iFollow blocks a large number of VPNs. This means you must pick a recommended provider to avoid disappointment.
How to watch iFollow in the UK with a VPN
A VPN is a privacy tool designed to prevent local network administrators, ISPs, websites, and government agencies from tracking what you do online. The encryption provided by a VPN can also let you bypass network restrictions to watch iFollow at work or in school, for example.
Best of all, you can use a VPN to change your IP address. This allows you to spoof your location abroad to regain access to your usual iFollow account while on holiday.
Here’s how to watch iFollow in the UK:
- First of all, sign up for a suitable VPN (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the app, taking care to get the appropriate version for your operating system.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers in your desired country (most providers prioritize the US, so you’re more likely to get fast speeds with an American server).
- Sign up for iFollow, login, and try watching a video. It should load almost instantly but if not, try clearing your cookies, then reloading the page.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for iFollow with no restrictions for a month. That's perfect for anyone looking to stream their favorite teams' matches during a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
We understand that picking a VPN can be confusing. There are dozens of services available on the market, and many of them exaggerate how good they are.
At Comparitech, we help consumers by testing and evaluating the world’s leading VPN providers. When searching for the best VPNs for iFollow, we looked for the following criteria:
- Works with iFollow and several similar streaming platforms
- Offers reliable, high-speed connections
- Uses military-grade encryption and includes various other security features
- Does not log any information that could identify you
- Provides apps for the most popular devices and operating systems
We’ll discuss each VPN in more detail later, but for now, we’ve provided a summary below of popular VPNs for streaming:
- NordVPN: Our top choice VPN for iFollow. This service offers fast connections, customizable security features, and exceptional streaming ability. Also includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for iFollow. A fast, privacy-conscious VPN with no connection limit, Surfshark is ideal for streaming iFollow abroad.
- ExpressVPN: A secure, high-speed VPN which works with a wide range of streaming services. Good security and lots of locations to choose from.
- CyberGhost: Boasting streaming-optimized servers, high-speeds, and a strong commitment to your privacy and security, CyberGhost is ideal for users new to VPNs.
- Hotspot Shield: A fast, low-cost VPN that’s great for streaming iFollow. Doesn’t compromise on security and comes with 24/7 live chat.
Best VPNs for watching iFollow in the UK
Below is our list of the best VPNs for watching iFollow in the UK:
NordVPN is our first choice for watching iFollow. It has more than 5,400 servers spread across 60+countries, meaning it caters to users from all over the world. This VPN is very fast and works reliably with services like Netflix, beIN Sports, and fuboTV, so it’s ideal for streaming. With up to six simultaneous connections permitted, you’re free to watch live EFL soccer both at home and on the go.
This service takes your security seriously. Features include 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, ad-blocking, malware-scanning, dual VPN and Tor over VPN functionality, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, DNS, and port-forwarding leaks. NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy, so your privacy is in good hands. If you need help, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. It also works on home routers but must be manually installed.
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- No-logs policy
- A fantastic option for streaming and torrenting
- Good global server representation
- 24/7 customer support
- Doesn’t let you choose a specific server, only a location
BEST VPN FOR IFOLLOW:NordVPN is our first choice for iFollow. Boasts high speeds, advanced security features, and the ability to stream iFollow in the UK. Its plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our budget pick. Its network is comprised of around 3,200 servers in 60+ countries. We had no issues securely accessing services like ESPN+, DAZN, and TSN while connected. This VPN is fast enough to stream live HD video without any issues, and best of all, there’s no connection limit. As such, Surfshark is a strong choice for anyone looking to protect all of their devices at once.
This service offers a wide range of security features including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in all versions), automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. Most importantly, Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, so your privacy is guaranteed. If you run into trouble, customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Manual installation is required for use with home routers.
- Impressive speeds
- Works with most streaming services
- Great security toolkit
- Keeps no logs
- Allows unlimited devices
- Apps give a lot of space to extra features that aren’t included in the regular subscription
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a great low-cost VPN with fast speeds, strong streaming ability, and powerful security features. Best of all, it has no connection limit so you can use it on as many devices as you like. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers access to more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. It’s very reliable and fast enough to stream live HD video without any noticeable buffering. Best of all, this service is capable of securely accessing stubborn streaming platforms like Netflix, ITV Hub, and iFollow from anywhere.
This VPN keeps you safe using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and a kill switch (which stops all traffic whenever you disconnect unexpectedly). ExpressVPN doesn’t log any identifiable information but you can pay with Bitcoin if you’d like another layer of protection. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. It offers custom firmware for routers to make installation as easy as possible.
- Consistent, speedy connections
- Perfect for live streaming
- Solid privacy and security
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Only five simultaneous connections permitted
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is fast and secure, making it ideal for streaming iFollow. Provides servers in more countries than its rivals, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a novice-friendly yet versatile VPN with over 7,700 servers in 90+ countries. Each server shows its current load as well as the service it’s optimized for, meaning there’s no guesswork involved when trying to stream content on platforms like Netflix, ESPN, or iFollow. With up to seven connections allowed at once, CyberGhost allows you to stream safely from all of your devices.
One of the best things about CyberGhost is that it offers pre-configured security. 256-bit encryption, an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an always-on kill switch are enabled by default. You can register anonymously (using Bitcoin and a throwaway email address) but as CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, this is entirely optional. Having trouble? Customer support is available via live chat 24/7.
CyberGhost provides Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS apps. It can be manually configured to work with select internet routers.
- Minimal configuration required
- Has a huge network
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
NOVICE FRIENDLY:CyberGhost offers fast, reliable servers, strong streaming potential, and comprehensive security. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers across 80 countries and is fast enough to stream live video without any noticeable lag or buffering. It works with major platforms like fuboTV, ESPN+, and YouTube TV, so you shouldn’t have any issues watching soccer online, even if you’re traveling abroad at the moment.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption and a kill switch, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection to keep your activities private at all times. Further, it deletes all personally identifiable data when your session ends. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 just in case you have any problems.
Hotspot shield has apps for Windows, Android, Linux, MacOS, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for use with routers.
- Plenty of servers to choose from
- Includes a kill switch in every version of the app
- Decent speeds
- 45 day money-back guarantee
- No anonymous payment options
- Streaming servers only work with US and UK services
STREAM SECURELY:Hotspot Shield makes it easy to watch soccer safely. It’s fast, has servers in 80+ countries, and logs no personally identifiable data. Comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for iFollow
iFollow is particularly good at detecting VPN traffic, which means it’s actually fairly difficult to access your home country’s version of the site while visiting the UK. This isn’t the only requirement we have, either. Take a look below to see which key areas we focused on when finding the best VPNs for streaming iFollow:
- Performance: Slow speeds can lead to lag, which is the last thing you need when watching live sports. To prevent this, we’ve only recommended VPNs that have performed well in our most recent speed tests. These take consistency into account too, since it’s no good if your VPN’s speeds fluctuate all the time.
- Server choice: You’ll need access to servers in your home country to regain access to your usual version of iFollow. With this in mind, we prioritized VPNs with large networks and lots of supported locations.
- Security and privacy: We required our top picks to use 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection so that you can stream safely. They all offer a no-logs policy as well, and some even let you pay with Bitcoin.
- Streaming ability: The more versatile a VPN is, the better. That’s why we test them against not just iFollow, but also platforms like DAZN, Netflix, and Disney Plus. We also only recommend providers that are suitable for torrenting, gaming, and video calling.
- Ease of use: We strongly prefer VPNs with newcomer-friendly features like streaming-optimized servers, around the clock support, and a total lack of connection or bandwidth limits.
Check out our full VPN testing methodology if you want to learn more.
Streaming iFollow abroad: FAQs
Can’t I just use a free VPN instead?
Free VPNs might seem appealing but we advise against using them for several reasons. First, iFollow has particularly strict geo-blocking measures in place and there are only a few paid services capable of securely accessing it, meaning a free VPN is very unlikely to work. Additionally, as they usually have small networks, free VPNs often struggle to provide adequate speeds.
It can be difficult to know if your free VPN is safe. Research has proven time and again that free VPN apps tend to mislead users about how secure they are. We've personally even discovered a "zero logs" provider that kept detailed records on its users' activities.
To stay as safe as possible, we recommend using a reputable VPN with a clearly-worded logging policy and a history of standing up for its users’ privacy.
Can I sign up for international versions of iFollow in the UK?
iFollow appears to have more advanced geo-blocking measures than many similar services. Despite this, it’s still possible to regain access to your home country’s version of the site when in the UK.
The first step is to connect to one of your VPN’s servers in your desired region. Some users have reported that their usual iFollow accounts were inaccessible when using a VPN; while this hasn’t been confirmed, it suggests that iFollow stores your initial location during registration. To bypass this restriction, just create a new account while connected to the VPN.
Now, purchase a pass for the match you’d like to see. Interestingly, although iFollow is available in several countries, it only has one website. This simply changes the currency and available content based on your IP address. In other words, as long as you have a payment method that’s valid in one of iFollow’s supported locations, you can sign up to whichever version of the site you’d prefer. You can use a card linked to a British address even when signing up for the American version, for instance.
You should now be able to stream matches live without any issues. There have been reports of problems accessing the service on Chrome while connected to a VPN, so if you’re having difficulty, try switching to a different browser.
Which games can I watch on international versions of iFollow?
iFollow allows you to watch any EFL games that aren’t broadcast internationally, provided one of the competing teams is registered with the service. If a match is being shown by one of iFollow’s international partners, it will be available on-demand at noon GMT the following day. Further, as match passes give you access for 24-hours, this means you can rewatch a particular fixture the following day.
Currently, iFollow lets you subscribe to any team playing in the Sky Bet Championship or Sky Bet League Two, and all but one in Sky Bet League One (Wycombe Wanderers). You can have as many subscriptions as you’d like, although you’ll have to create a new account for each team.
Why else should I use a VPN?
VPNs aren’t only good for streaming. If you log in to your online banking service when on vacation, for example, you’ll likely receive an automated alert. In some cases, these services even temporarily restrict access. While these measures are designed to keep you safe, they could cause significant problems when travelling. However, if you connect to a VPN server in your home country before logging in, your bank likely won’t even notice you’ve left the country. This also applies to watching streaming services abroad, if you want to watch UK TV while on holiday, for example, a VPN will allow you to do this.
Public wifi networks are convenient, but rarely well-protected. As such, they’re a popular target for hackers looking to monitor users’ traffic. When you use a VPN, though, your data is encrypted and completely meaningless to anyone without the correct decryption key. Further, as your traffic is routed through servers in another country, you’ll be able to bypass any web filtering that’s been imposed by the hotspot owner or local government, and access websites that are usually blocked.
When does the 2022/2023 EFL start?
The 2022/2023 season of the EFL will begin a week earlier than the previous season to accommodate the 2022 world cup. The EFL kicks off on July 27th, 2022, at 8 pm BST and will take a month-long break for the world cup on Saturday, November 12th, resuming on Saturday, December 10th.