Pandora is the world’s most famous internet radio service. Whereas most streaming radio services recommend music based on what you have in common with other users who like the same music, Pandora leverages the Music Genome Project to suggest music based on hundreds of attributes. With nearly one million songs in its library, it’s a great way to discover new music.
If you want to listen to Pandora radio online outside of the USA, you will need a VPN.
Here is our list of the best VPNs for listening to Pandora from anywhere:
- NordVPN Our #1 choice for Pandora! Operates over 5,500 superfast servers all over the globe. No issues unblocking Pandora. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Surfshark Best budget provider that unblocks Pandora and a range of other streaming services for a low cost.
- ExpressVPN Fast servers in over 90 countries. Unblocks Pandora and most other online streaming sites.
- CyberGhost Easy-to-use apps, strong security, and plenty of fast servers that can unblock Pandora.
- IPVanish Fast servers are great for streaming. Secure apps that allow up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- VyprVPN Performed well in our tests with unblocking streaming sites.
- Hotspot Shield Simple apps make it easy to unblock Pandora from outside the US.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Pandora without any restrictions for a month. As such, you can use it to listen to your favorite radio stations and podcasts while traveling abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Ever since 2007, however, Pandora has been limited to users in the United States. Under pressure from copyright holders, Pandora started blocking users in other countries based on their IP address.
Even paying users are not allowed to listen from outside those three countries. Anyone who attempts to do so is greeted with the following message:
Fortunately, there’s a simple workaround. All you need is a proxy service, such as a VPN or SOCKS5 proxy. These tools mask your IP address and can make it appear as though you are accessing Pandora from the US.
A VPN, or virtual private network, is our preferred method. A VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic, then routes it through an intermediary server in a location of the user’s choosing. Besides spoofing your location, VPNs offer a slew of other benefits such as better security, more privacy, and access to geo-locked content and services in multiple countries.
VPNs usually come with bespoke apps that don’t require any special configuration on your device. Connecting is as simple as picking a location and flipping a switch.
The best VPNs for Pandora
We’ve narrowed down our list of the best VPNs for playing Pandora radio based on the following criteria:
- Servers in the USA
- Apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Speed and reliability
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick for a Pandora radio VPN. It’s incredibly fast and operates a huge network of more than 1,900 servers in the US alone. It maintains the highest privacy standards and features a “Smart Play” DNS tool that lets you access Pandora anywhere, even on devices that don’t support native VPN apps.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Certain servers are optimized for better security and faster speeds. You can connect up to six simultaneous devices on a single account, making it a great value.
- Fastest VPN is our speed tests
- Operates hundreds of servers in the US
- Can unblock just about anything
- Strong security suite
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, and Android
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Desktop can take some getting used to
BEST PANDORA VPN:NordVPN is our #1 pick. It is extremely fast and has plenty of servers for unblocking Pandora. It reliably unblocks other popular streaming sites, connects up to 6 devices at one time, and provides live-chat support. A 30-day money back guarantee makes it a risk-free option.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a budget-friendly option that unblocks pretty much any region-locked streaming service you can throw at it including Pandora. It allows an unlimited number of devices to connect on a single plan, and offers apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android along with browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Speeds are decent and reliable.
Surfshark works in China and respects your privacy. It uses strong encryption and keeps no logs of your activity or identifying information. Live chat support is available 24/7 should you encounter any issues.
- Unblocks Pandora from abroad
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Excellent security
- No logs whatsoever
- Works in China
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Unblock Pandora and other streaming services on as many devices as you want with Surfshark. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers well-designed and simple apps combined with top-tier security and a server network spanning 3,000+ servers in 160 locations operating in 94 countries. That includes multiple cities in the US.
The servers are always reliable and fast, so you should have no problems with smooth playback.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux (command line). 24/7 live chat support is available 365 days per year if you need any assistance.
- Operates servers in dozens of US cities
- Can easily unblock most streaming sites from abroad
- No privacy incursions such as tracking or ad injections
- Top-notch encryption standards
- Slightly more expensive than some of its competitors
GREAT UNBLOCKER:ExpressVPN is great at unblocking geo-restricted content. It has fast streaming speeds, easy-to-use apps for all devices, and strong security and privacy. Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it easy to unblock Pandora with its simple and intuitive apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Whether Pandora isn’t available in your country or your school or workplace is blocking it, connecting to a CyberGhost server in the US will give you access. It works with both the Pandora app and website.
CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections. It’s great for unblocking a wide range of streaming services. The company keeps no logs and uses strong encryption to keep your privacy intact.
- Unblocks Pandora from outside the US
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Use up to seven devices simultaneously
- Doesn’t reliably work in China or UAE
- No router support
GREAT FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost lets you unblock Pandora and tons of other streaming channels with ease. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish owns and operates its own huge network of servers around the globe. That includes the US. With easy-to-use apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, IPV will have you listening to Pandora within minutes of signing up, no matter where you are in the world.
You’ll also enjoy the peace of mind of military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy. IPVanish is a good choice for families as you can connect as many devices as you like and therefore have unlimited active users with one account.
- 700+ US servers
- Unblocks Pandora with ease
- Good unblocking capabilities and streams in high speeds
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- Easy to use apps for Windows MacOS, iOS, and Android
- No live customer support, email and ticket support only
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is great for families, easy to set up and has good security, it comes with live chat support. You can try it out with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN prides itself on its wholly-owned network of data centers and server equipment around the world. Several US cities are listed in its roster of server locations. Speeds are excellent and reliable.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. With unlimited data, bandwidth, and server switches, you never have to worry about hitting a cap.
- Has fast servers in all the right places to unblock Pandora
- Fast, reliable connections
- Keeps no identifying logs
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- A bit pricier than other providers here
- Apps are slick but lack advanced configuration options
INDEPENDENT NETWORK:VyprVPN is a solid choice. It stores no logs, offers great security and unblocks most streaming services, not the cheapest option. Get a 30-day PayPal-only money back guarantee.
Read our full review of VyprVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield unblocks Pandora with just one click on Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. The easy-to-use app can be used on as many devices as you want. Hotspot Shield uses a proprietary protocol to connect to its vast network of servers around the globe, including the US.
Speeds are decent and security is strong. Hotspot Shield retains minimal logs of your IP address while connected.
- Unblocks Pandora from anywhere
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Plenty of servers to choose from
- No live chat support
- Some past privacy concerns
PANDORA UNBLOCKER:Hotspot Shield unblocks Pandora and other streaming services from any country. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to access Pandora Radio from anywhere with a VPN
Regaining access to Pandora as you travel is easier than you might think. Just follow these steps and you’ll be listening in no time:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs above (we recommend NordVPN)
- Install the VPN app onto whichever device you usually listen on. Note that most providers let you connect around five devices at a time
- Log in and select a server in your home country. This changes your IP address, preventing Pandora Radio from realizing you’re traveling abroad
- Now, simply use Pandora as you normally would. If you’re still running into errors, clear your cookies (if using the web version) or data (if using the app) and try again. Failing that, your VPN’s customer support team should be able to help you further
Our methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for Pandora
Choosing which VPN to use can be tricky, and the number of services available complicates things further. That’s why we set a strict list of criteria to ensure that only the best VPNs make our list. Here are the key things to consider when shopping for a Pandora VPN, and what we expect at a minimum from the services we recommend:
- Server locations: Pandora is region-locked and can only be accessed in select countries. To unblock it while traveling, you’ll need a server in a support location, such as the US. Nearby servers usually provide the best performance, though, which is why we look for VPNs with networks that cover lots of countries.
- Speed: We have to ensure that your VPN is fast enough for anything you throw at it, whether that’s listening to the radio, live streaming TV, or torrenting. We’ve speed tested dozens of VPNs and will only ever recommend the best performers.
- Unblocking capabilities: Pandora might not be the only service from back home you’d like to access, which is why we look for VPNs that excel at beating regional blocking. For instance, we’ll test VPNs against platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max to see which can reliably access the most content.
- Security and privacy: VPNs are designed to protect your traffic from snoopers, and we won’t recommend any that fall short. At a minimum, we look for DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, and 256-bit encryption. Naturally, we prefer providers that go even further.
- Price: We test a lot of VPNs, so it’s immediately obvious when one tries to charge more than it’s worth. All of the services we recommend are fairly priced, and we’ll always inform you about any deals to reduce the amount you pay to the absolute minimum.
- User-friendliness: Staying safe online shouldn’t be a hassle. Our top VPNs all have novice-friendly apps for a wide range of devices. Further, they all allow you to get help over live chat in case of any issues.
Believe it or not, this is just the beginning of our testing. If you’re interested, we have an in-depth post outlining Comparitech’s testing process.
VPN vs SOCKS proxy: which is better?
A SOCKS4 or SOCKS5 proxy works similar to a VPN in that your internet traffic is routed through a remote server, but SOCKS5 proxies are not encrypted by default. That makes them faster, but significantly less private. Anyone who intercepts your internet traffic will be able to decipher it, unlike the encrypted packets sent through a VPN.
If all you want is to listen to Pandora radio online outside of the US, a SOCKS proxy is an acceptable option. Note that it might require configuring the settings on your device to route Pandora traffic through the proxy.
Note that Pandora internet radio limits free users to a certain number of skips within a set period of time. This limit varies depending on whether you have a paid subscription and what device you’re listening on.
Pandora no longer limits users to 40 hours of listening per month. This restriction has been removed.
Users on free accounts must listen to advertisements that cannot be skipped.
Pandora VPN FAQ
Can I listen to Pandora without the app?
Yes. You can access Pandora’s website through a web browser and stream music from there. If you find that your VPN doesn’t work with the app, try the website instead.
How can I listen to Pandora offline?
Pandora’s premium versions allow for offline listening., Pandora Plus lets you listen to your top stations without an internet connection, while Pandora Premium lets you download specific songs.
Here's how to listen to Pandora offline:
- Go to Profile
- Tap the cog icon (Settings)
- Toggle the Offline Mode slider to on.
Pandora Plus subscribers get their top stations offline. Premium users can go into My Collection and click the download icon next to songs to access them offline.
What are the alternatives to Pandora radio?
There’s no shortage of music streaming services and apps out there with both paid and free plans. Terrestrial Radio stations may have online options but they simply can't compete with the amount of content music streaming services have to offer.
- Apple Music
- Hype Machine
Does Pandora block VPNs?
We've seen reports that Pandora, like other region-locked streaming services, blocks VPN connections. In our testing, however, none of the VPNs we recommended above prevented us from listening on Android or desktop browsers.
Does Pandora work in Mexico?
Unfortunately, because Pandora is region-locked it won't automatically work in Mexico. However, if you still want to listen to Pandora whilst traveling abroad in Mexico, all you have to do is connect to one of the VPNs listed above.