Unfortunately, your online activities aren’t as private as you might think. In fact, it’s likely several organizations can see what you get up to, including your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and local authority. This would be bad enough, but if you live in a country like Peru, where journalists and activists are targeted for being critical of the government, voicing a dissenting opinion online could lead to real-world repercussions.
Luckily, there is an easy way to protect yourself. By connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN), you encrypt your traffic and route it through a server elsewhere in the world. This prevents anyone from reading your traffic and hides your true IP address, making it effectively impossible to track you. Further, as most region-locked services only check the user’s IP address, a VPN will allow you to access websites that would usually be inaccessible in Peru.
Below, you’ll find a brief overview of the best VPNs for Peru. Don’t worry; we’ll examine each of the recommended services in more detail later.
We found these to be the best VPNs for Peru:
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice for Peru. ExpressVPN provides consistently high speeds and strong unblocking ability without compromising on security or privacy.
- NordVPN: The best budget option for Peru, NordVPN has over 5,000 high-speed servers globally. It boasts powerful security features and a no-logs policy.
- CyberGhost: This is a versatile, user-friendly service capable of unblocking numerous services abroad. It includes a wide range of pre-configured security features.
- IPVanish: Fast and lightweight with strong security features, a high connection limit, and a zero-logs policy, IPVanish is perfect for those who want to browse safely on the go.
- PrivateVPN: This VPN excels at unblocking geo-restricted platforms. It offers better-than-average speeds and is very strong when it comes to security and privacy.
- Surfshark: A security-conscious VPN with no connection limit and decent unblocking ability, Surfshark is an excellent choice for anyone looking to secure lots of devices simultaneously.
Although every VPN is different, choosing one doesn’t have to be difficult. We’ve found that it’s often a better choice to use a well-rounded service instead of one capable of one particular task, which is why all of the VPNs we recommend fit the criteria below:
- Has a large network of reliable, high-speed servers
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption as well as other advanced security features
- Doesn’t log any information that could identify you
- Offers apps for all the most popular devices and operating systems
- Unblocks popular region-locked services from abroad
Best VPNs for Peru
Read on to find out more about the best VPNs for Peru:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has around 3,000 high-speed servers in 94 countries, so it’s an excellent choice for unblocking geo-restricted services. What’s more, this is one of the few VPNs with servers in Peru, so even if you go abroad on vacation, you’ll still be able to access your favorite services. ExpressVPN unblocks a wide range of platforms including Netflix US, and with no bandwidth limits, there’s no need to worry about lag or endless buffering.
This service uses 256-bit AES encryption and DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection to keep your traffic secure at all times. There’s also a kill switch that automatically stops sending data should your VPN connection drop suddenly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could identify you but if you’re still concerned, you’re free to sign up anonymously using Bitcoin and a throwaway email address. Live chat-based customer support is on-hand 24/7 in case of any problems.
ExpressVPN apps are available for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. This service offers custom firmware to make installing it on your router as easy as possible.
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Industry-leading security features
- Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Not as configurable as some power users would like
BEST VPN FOR PERU:ExpressVPN is our #1 choice for Peru With consistently high speeds, a strong commitment to security, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee, it offers the best of all worlds.
Check out our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has one of the largest networks around, with over 5,000 servers spanning 60 countries. This means it’s easy to get a high-speed, low-latency connection, wherever you are. Better still, as NordVPN unblocks major platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, you can watch all of your favorite shows in the highest possible quality, from anywhere in the world. With up to six simultaneous connections permitted, you can even stream safely on the go.
This is one of the best VPNs around when it comes to security. It includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, an ad-blocker, and a malware-scanner. There are also obfuscated servers for use in countries with strict online censorship. NordVPN keeps no logs and cannot reveal details of your activities even if asked to. You can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN provides apps for Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. It can also be manually installed on supported network routers.
- Unblocks most popular geo-locked streaming services
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Personal data is protected as it keeps no logs
- Operates a network of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- The desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR PERU:NordVPN is an inexpensive service that nonetheless manages to offer advanced security features, exceptional unblocking ability, and a network of over 5,000 high-speed servers in 60 countries. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Take a look at our in-depth review of NordVPN.
CYBER DEAL - Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has around 5,300 servers in 90 countries. It offers fast, consistent speeds and unlimited bandwidth, making it ideal for streaming. What’s more, this VPN can unblock several popular streaming services including Netflix and Hulu, so smaller platforms shouldn’t pose much of an issue. CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections, meaning you can protect all of your most commonly-used devices with a single account.
There’s very little setup involved as all of this VPN’s security features come pre-configured. These include 256-bit encryption, an always-on kill switch (in all versions), protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, a malware scanner, and an ad-blocker. Also, while you can sign up anonymously using Bitcoin, this is optional as CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. Need help? Customer support is available 24/7 over live chat.
CyberGhost has Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS apps. This VPN can be manually configured to work with Linux systems and wireless routers.
- All security features enabled by default
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Good value provider with fast servers that are great for streaming and downloading
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
IDEAL FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost is an easy-to-use VPN that punches above its weight when it comes to speed, unblocking ability, and security features. What’s more, it comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the complete CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish has long been a favorite of people looking to stream. It operates more than 1,300 servers in 60+ countries, doesn’t limit user bandwidth, and offers fast, reliable speeds. Additionally, this service has a generous ten-connection limit, so it’s perfect for people looking to protect all of their devices at once.
This VPN’s security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. However, there are also a couple more advanced features: local traffic blocking and OpenVPN obfuscation. This last one is particularly useful as it changes how your data looks on the network, allowing you to bypass blocks that specifically target VPN traffic. IPVanish is a zero-logs provider, so your activities can’t be traced back to you. 24/7 customer support is on-hand via live chat in case you need any help.
IPVanish offers apps for iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS devices. It works with Linux-based systems and select internet routers, although manual configuration is required.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Strong on privacy and security
- Impressive speeds and reliable connections
- Struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
STRONG ON SECURITY:IPVanish is a zero-logs provider with several advanced security features and reliable, high-speed servers in 60 countries. It includes a seven-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the full IPVanish review.
CYBERDEAL19 - save 73% on the annual planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has fewer servers than some of the services above, but it offers faster speeds than most. This, coupled with the service’s exceptional unblocking ability, make it ideal for streaming region-locked services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer from abroad. As PrivateVPN permits up to six connections at once, you’re free to watch on whichever device you prefer.
This service puts major emphasis on security. For instance, it keeps your activities private using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (Windows only), and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. Additionally, there’s a split tunneling function and a stealth mode designed to bypass VPN blocking. PrivateVPN is completely logless, all but guaranteeing your privacy. Customer support is available via live chat for 22 hours per day, and staff can even remotely configure the software for you, with your permission.
This provider has apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It can be manually installed on wireless routers and Linux systems.
- Faster than many other providers
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Zero-logs provider
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- A small number of servers to choose from
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is fast, offers unlimited bandwidth, and unblocks platforms like Netflix with no issues whatsoever. It’s one of the best for security and privacy, plus its plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our comprehensive review of PrivateVPN.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has more than 1,000 fast and reliable servers in over 60 countries. What’s more, it unblocks a wide range of region-locked services like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer abroad. This means that smaller streaming platforms are unlikely to cause any issues. Best of all, Surfshark allows you to connect as many devices as you like, making it an excellent choice for those looking to secure every device in their home.
This VPN secures your traffic using 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch (available in all versions). Its more advanced features include an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, split-tunneling functionality, and a NoBorders mode that lets you bypass country-wide internet restrictions. Surfshark does not log any details of your activities. If you’re concerned about privacy, you can sign up anonymously by paying in one of three accepted cryptocurrencies. Customer support representatives are on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. This VPN has to be manually configured for use with home routers.
- No limit on the number of devices connected
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- Great at unblocking popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer
- Some slow speeds
- Relatively small server network
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:Surfshark boasts excellent unblocking ability, reasonable speeds, and a no-logs policy. Further, there’s no connection limit so you can connect any number of devices. Surfshark comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I use a free VPN in Peru?
Although free VPNs can be tempting, we strongly advise against using them. To begin with, these tend to have more users than their (often very limited) networks can support. This leads to frustratingly slow speeds, which is a particular problem for those looking to stream. On that note, free VPNs are usually the first to be blacklisted by major streaming platforms, so even if you find one that provides a reasonably fast connection, you still might not be able to watch anything.
It’s also worth mentioning that free VPNs are often less secure than paid services. In fact, after examining over 280 free VPNs, one study found that nearly 40 percent contained malware, while almost one-in-five used no encryption at all. Unfortunately, this kind of slippery behavior isn’t limited to small services, as we found out in 2015 when Hola was caught selling user bandwidth to help facilitate botnet attacks.
The best way to stay safe online is to use a reputable VPN with a no-logs policy and a record of standing up for its users’ privacy.
How to browse safely with a VPN while in Peru
VPNs can be a little intimidating at first but they’re quite simple to use. Just follow the steps below to browse securely and access geo-restricted services abroad with a VPN:
- First off, sign up for one of the VPNs above if you haven’t already (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN software, making sure to get the correct version of the app for your operating system.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers. If you’re trying to access a region-locked site, use a server in the country that your chosen service is based in. For instance, you’d use an American server to access Netflix US.
- You’re now browsing securely and should be able to use previously inaccessible services. If you’re still having problems, clear your cache and cookies then reload the page.
Why might I need a VPN in Peru?
Although Peru doesn’t directly censor the internet, the country’s strict libel and defamation laws indirectly contribute to self-censorship. In addition, these laws are frequently used to target journalists who expose institutional corruption or abuse. This alone is enough reason to protect your identity with a VPN, but there are plenty of other uses for this technology.
Let’s say you’re browsing the internet at your favorite coffee shop. Perhaps you’re checking your emails or social media, or maybe even doing a little online shopping. The problem is that public wifi networks are rarely as secure as they should be, which makes them a prime target for hackers.
Once connected to a VPN, however, even if your traffic is being monitored, nobody will be able to tell what you were doing. This not only keeps snoopers from knowing which websites you visit, but it also prevents them from stealing sensitive information like your passwords and online banking details.
- 1 Best VPNs for Peru
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 CYBER DEAL - Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year plan
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 CYBERDEAL19 - save 73% on the annual plan
- 10 5. PrivateVPN
- 11 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 12 6. Surfshark
- 13 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 14 Can I use a free VPN in Peru?
- 15 How to browse safely with a VPN while in Peru
- 16 Why might I need a VPN in Peru?