There are plenty of reasons to use a VPN on your PlayStation 5. You could switch locations and see what’s available in other countries’ Netflix libraries, for instance, or access region-exclusive in-game events. However, it’s important to note that a VPN won’t let you change your PSN region since this is decided by the country you chose while creating your PlayStation account.
So how do VPNs work exactly? Essentially, they change your IP address by connecting you to a server elsewhere in the world. Because most geo-restricted platforms rely on this to tell where you are, accessing region-locked content is as simple as choosing a server in the correct country. Another major benefit of these services is that they encrypt your data, shielding it from the prying eyes of your ISP or anyone else who might be monitoring your network.
Looking for the short version? We’ve provided a quick look at the best VPNs for PlayStation 5 below. If any catch your eye, just scroll down for a more detailed review.
Best VPNs for PS5:
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for PS5 users. Lightning-fast speeds, a strong security focus, and top-notch unblocking ability make it ideal for safe streaming and gaming. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for PS5. A reliable, privacy-focused VPN with no connection or bandwidth limits. Solid speeds and a true no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: A strong everyday VPN that works great with Netflix. Solid range of security and privacy features, plus a Smart DNS service that can be activated on PS5 in minutes.
- CyberGhost: A great beginner option with fast speeds and a highly versatile Smart DNS service. Works with all kinds of streaming services and offers comprehensive security.
- IPVanish: Quick, reliable, and security-conscious, IPVanish is a hard worker that can handle just about anything. It has no connection limit and doesn’t keep any logs.
- PrivateVPN: Boasts very impressive speeds and unblocking ability. Stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu from anywhere. Also boasts a great set of security and privacy features.
- AtlasVPN: This VPN makes it easy to access region-locked PS5 apps abroad. Comes packed with security features and provides consistently high speeds.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for PlayStation 5 with no restrictions for a month. This is great if you’d like to keep gaming and streaming securely during a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPN for PS5
It’s easy to get overwhelmed when comparing VPNs. Here’s a good rule of thumb: instead of choosing the service that claims to be the best at one particular thing, try to find a VPN that does everything reasonably well. This ensures that you’ll be able to handle most day-to-day situations without any issues. We took this into account when choosing the best VPNs for PS5, only recommending services with the following characteristics:
- Provides speeds that are fast enough for lag-free streaming and gaming
- Offers access to a large server network
- Reliably unblocks popular geo-restricted services from abroad
- Keeps you safe using powerful encryption and other security features
- Refuses to store any personally identifiable information
- Can be installed on routers and ideally offers some sort of Smart DNS feature
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for PlayStation 5:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN. Uniquely suited for gaming as it’s the fastest VPN service we’ve tested by far. However, with more than 5,500 servers in 60 countries and impressive unblocking ability, it’s also a great choice for streaming. It offers a Smart DNS service that allows PS5 owners to access apps like ABC, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video with ease.
One of NordVPN’s biggest strengths is its security. It uses effectively uncrackable 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks to keep you safe online. Its apps also include a CyberSec feature that blocks ads and malware automatically. NordVPN is a zero-log provider, meaning it can’t reveal details of your activities for any reason. As well as detailed router installation guides, this VPN offers 24/7 support over live chat.
NordVPN users can manually install this service on select routers or download apps for iOS, Windows, MacOS, Android, and Linux devices.
- Fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Operates over 5,500 servers in 60 countries around the globe
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Fantastic security offering
- No-logs policy
30-day money-back guarantee
- Smart DNS features don’t work with many non-US streaming services
BEST VPN FOR PS5:NordVPN is our first choice. Extremely secure, speedy, and versatile, it’s perfect for PS5 users. What’s more, this service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is more than fast enough for uninterrupted gaming or streaming. It offers access to over 3,200 servers in 100 countries and easily accesses tricky services like Disney+ and BBC iPlayer from abroad. If you’d rather not install it on your router, Surfshark’s Smart DNS feature provides a quick and easy way to access American streaming services on your PS5. Also, this VPN has no connection limit, so you can secure all of your devices at once.
This service certainly has a lot to offer from a security perspective. There’s 256-bit encryption to start with, plus a kill switch and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. App users also have access to a stealth mode for bypassing stubborn geo-blocking and a CleanWeb mode that blocks ads and trackers automatically. Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs and runs a 24/7 live chat-based help desk in case of any issues.
Surfshark can be manually configured for use with supported routers. It also provides iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps.
- Steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming services abroad
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Keeps no logs
- Smart DNS only unblocks US services
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that nonetheless boasts a strong security offering, high speeds, and fantastic unblocking capabilities. Further, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
For more information, check out our Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is the only service in this list to offer custom router firmware, which helps simplify the installation process. It also has MediaStreamer, its own Smart DNS service that works well with major streaming services like Netflix. Notably, users can switch this on and off directly from the router app. With 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, this VPN offers plenty of choices and guarantees a fast, stable connection.
This service keeps your data secure with 256-bit AES encryption. It also offers a kill switch that stops sending data the second your connection drops, plus DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Finally, there’s the option to block access to local devices for even greater security. Most importantly, ExpressVPN refuses to log any data that could identify you. For help with any problems, you can reach support at any time via email or live chat.
ExpressVPN has its own custom firmware that makes it easier to install on your router. Naturally, there are also apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS.
- Offers easy-to-install router firmware
- Works with plenty of games and streaming platforms
- Superfast, low-latency servers are great for gaming
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- 24/7 customer services
- Slightly higher price than some others
- Struggles to access BBC iPlayer
EASY ROUTER INSTALLATION:ExpressVPN is a speedy service that can be installed on a router in minutes. Great for streaming, gaming, or torrenting. Impressive security offering. Also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Read the full ExpressVPN review for more details.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 9,000 high-speed servers in 90+ countries, so you won’t have to worry about lag during evening or weekend gaming sessions. Additionally, this service offers a great Smart DNS feature that lets you start using German, Japanese, Dutch, British, or American services in moments. Stream a lot on the go? No problem: you can have up to seven simultaneous connections, and your router only counts as one.
This VPN offers a wealth of security features, including a kill switch, IPv6 and DNS leak protection, and 256-bit encryption. Its apps also allow you to block ads, malware, and trackers or force HTTPS. Better still, CyberGhost doesn’t store any personally identifiable data, which means that your activities can’t be traced back to you. If you need help, customer support staff are on hand 24/7 over live chat and email.
CyberGhost must be manually installed on supported network routers. However, to keep you safe while away from home, it also offers apps for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Fantastic Smart DNS feature
- Quick and reliable connections
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- All security features enabled by default
45-day money-back guarantee
- Could offer more control over advanced functionality
- Doesn’t work in China
GREAT FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost Boasts speedy connections, a 45-day money-back guarantee, and a comprehensive set of security features, not to mention great unblocking ability. CyberGhost is more than capable of handling anything you throw at it.
Read our complete review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish users can choose from more than 2,000 servers in 60+ countries. Whichever you decide on, you can expect very high speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Installing this VPN on a DD-WRT or Tomato router is fairly straightforward and can be done in under an hour. Finally, as there’s no connection limit, you can stream and browse safely, even when away from home.
This VPN’s security features include a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Further, the apps provide even greater privacy by allowing you to scramble your traffic and block local connections outright. IPVanish follows a strict no-logging policy, so your activities can’t be revealed under any circumstances. 24/7 support is available over email or live chat.
IPVanish can be manually installed on select wireless routers and Linux systems. Additionally, it also has apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Consistently high speeds
- Solid security offering
- No-logs policy
- Has no connection or bandwidth limits
- Struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
NO DEVICE LIMIT:IPVanish lets you protect all of your devices even without installing it on your router. Thanks to its fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth, it’s a strong choice for anyone looking to game safely. A 30-day money-back guarantee is also included.
Read our comprehensive review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may only have around 200 servers in 63 countries, but it helps make up for it by offering some of the fastest speeds around. Additionally, this VPN boasts exceptional unblocking ability, so you’ll be able to use platforms like HBO Max, Hulu, and Peacock from anywhere in the world. It provides installation guides for a wide range of routers and allows app users to secure up to 10 devices at once while away from home.
Thanks to PrivateVPN’s powerful 256-bit encryption, kill switch and leak protection, your data remains hidden from snoopers at all times. There’s also a stealth mode designed for bypassing country-wide censorship in places like China, but unfortunately, this is only available in desktop and mobile apps. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs at all, so your privacy is in good hands. Support staff can be reached via live chat 22 hours per day.
PrivateVPN supports a wide range of routers and Linux distributions, although you’ll have to install it manually. Further, it offers MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android apps.
- Very fast speeds
- Unblocks all manner of region-locked services
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Fairly small network
- Live chat is not around the clock
ZERO-LOG PROVIDER:PrivateVPN puts privacy above all else. That said, its security features are top-notch, as are its speeds and unblocking ability. Additionally, all of this service’s plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN gives you the choice of 750+ servers in over 30 countries. It is great for streaming because it works with stubborn platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max. This VPN offers speedy, reliable connections, which makes it great for gaming. However, it does not currently have any guides for setting it up on a router, so you will need to set up a virtual wifi hotspot instead.
User traffic is kept safe from prying eyes using 256-bit encryption and protection against DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Plus, a kill switch prevents you from accidentally browsing unprotected if your connection to the VPN drops. AtlasVPN also has a solid no-logs policy, and you can ask questions about using the VPN thanks to its superb live chat customer support.
You can try this VPN on any device thanks to its generous 30-day money-back guarantee. And best of all, you can use this VPN on an unlimited number of devices with just a single account. This means you can share it with friends and family, making it excellent value.
- Perfect for uninterrupted streaming or gaming
- Works well with Netflix, HBO Max, and Peacock, among others
- Strong security and privacy protections
- Fewer advanced features than our top pick
- Based in the US – a 5 Eyes Member
STREAM WITHOUT LIMITS:AtlasVPN offers unlimited bandwidth, fast speeds, and the ability to unblock stubborn streaming platforms from anywhere. With a great set of security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee to let you test it yourself.
For more information, read our full AtlasVPN review.
How to set up a VPN on PS5
Unfortunately, there are no VPN apps in the PlayStation store. You’re not out of luck, though; we just have to be a bit more creative about how we use these services. Below are three ways you can take advantage of a VPN on your PlayStation 5:
Method 1: Install a VPN on your home router
If you install a VPN on your router, it’ll automatically secure any device connected to your network. This effectively lets you bypass connection limits since a router only counts as one device. However, it’s more complicated than simply installing an app, with different router manufacturers each having their own control panel and quirks.
The good news is that most major VPN providers will have detailed, step-by-step guides to getting their service up and running on DD-WRT, OpenWrt, and Tomato routers. If you’re having trouble, just get in touch with customer support: they deal with things like this on a regular basis and will be more than happy to walk you through the process.
See also: Our ultimate guide to VPN routers
Method 2: Share a VPN connection from your PC
If you have a PC or laptop, you can simply connect to the VPN on this and run an Ethernet cable straight to your PlayStation. It’s not the most elegant solution, but it’ll do for a quick fix. Here’s how to share your VPN connection on Windows and MacOS:
- Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings from the list on the left.
- Right-click your active connection and choose Properties.
- Move over to the Sharing tab and enable the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection option.
- Click OK. On your PlayStation, go to Network settings and set up a new network connection, choose the Use a LAN Cable option, select Easy on the next screen, and decline to use a proxy server. That’s all there is to it!
- Find System Preferences in the menu, then navigate to Sharing > Internet Sharing.
- Select WiFi in the Share your connection from dropdown menu.
- Choose Ethernet from the To computers using menu.
- Make sure Internet Sharing is enabled.
- On your PS5, go to Network settings and choose Set Up Internet Connection. Select Use a LAN Cable, then Easy, then Do Not Use a proxy server. Your PS5 should now be connected to the VPN.
Method 3: Use a Smart DNS feature
If you just want to access geo-blocked streaming services on your PS5 and aren’t worried about encrypting your data, you might be better off using a Smart DNS feature. Not every VPN provider offers this service but those that do allow you to start streaming in minutes.
Here’s how to use a Smart DNS feature on the PS5:
- First, go to your PlayStation’s network settings page and select View Connection Status. Your IP address will appear: make a note of this.
- On your PC, log into your VPN’s website and look for a Smart DNS option on the control panel.
- You’ll likely see an option labeled something like “Activate IP address.” Enter your PS5’s IP address here. You’ll be given two numbers: a primary DNS and a secondary DNS. Write these down.
- Back in your PS5 network settings, select your connection, then Advanced settings, then DNS Settings. You’ll now be able to enter the primary and secondary DNS numbers from earlier.
- Once you’re done, you should be able to access popular services like Netflix US regardless of where you are in the world. If this service doesn’t seem to be working for you, get in touch with your VPN’s support team for further assistance.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for PS5
There are a few special things to consider when buying a VPN for your PlayStation 5 console. For smooth gameplay, you’ll need high-speed servers and low-latency connections. Further, since the PS5 can’t install apps directly, it’s a good idea to get one that can be installed on a router. Below, you’ll find the most important things we looked for in a PS5 VPN:
- Performance: Slow speeds make for underwhelming gameplay. We only recommended VPNs that impressed during our most recent speed tests to prevent lag, stuttering, and random disconnections.
- Supported countries: The more countries the VPN covers, the more likely it is that there’ll be a server nearby. This helps minimize latency, which is a major concern for anyone who plays competitive online games. A large network also gives you more control over who you play with if your chosen game doesn’t let you switch regions.
- Unblocking abilities: Some games and apps are region-locked or only available in specific countries. We test contenders against popular services like Overwatch, Netflix, Dota 2, and Hulu to make sure our recommendations are as versatile as possible.
- Privacy protection: Unfortunately, not everyone you play with has your best interests at heart. To protect against threats like doxxing and SWATTING, our top VPNs all include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy, plus IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
- User-friendliness: Naturally, we prefer VPNs that are easy to use. This doesn’t just mean having clean, uncluttered apps, though; we also look for those that can be installed easily on routers, those with 24/7 live chat, and those that make accessing your favorite content as simple as possible.
Interested in finding out more? Our full VPN testing guide explains exactly how we put these services to the test.
Using a VPN on PS5: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with my PS5?
It’s unlikely, as most free VPNs simply can’t be installed on a router. This might be for the best, though. Free services tend to have small networks and huge numbers of users, which leads to extremely slow speeds across the board. Even if you did find a free VPN that worked with your PS5, the connection would likely be too slow for any kind of streaming or gaming.
How will a VPN affect my gaming experience?
The main benefit of using a VPN while gaming is that it enhances your privacy. For instance, the owner of a gaming server you’re using wouldn’t be able to see your real IP address. This also helps protect you against DDoS attacks, since anything short of an industrial-scale attack would be automatically detected and shrugged off by the VPN’s huge network.
Depending on the game, a VPN may also allow you to play with users from elsewhere in the world instead of those in the same country as you. This can be helpful, for instance, if you’d rather play team-based games with those who speak your native language. Note that while every VPN will have some impact on your connection speed, most major providers will be fast enough for lag-free gaming.
Is using a VPN on PS5 legal?
Using a VPN on PlayStation 5 is legal. However, when you should ensure you only access legally obtained content. Unauthorized downloads may violate copyright laws and result in fines or other penalties. Additionally, some games may be restricted to specific geographical locations, so checking the publisher’s website before using a VPN is essential.
Why do I need to use a VPN with my PS5?
There are multiple reasons to use a VPN with your PS5. One of the most common is to be able to change your location so that you can access bypass geographic restrictions. These restrictions may be related to the games you can download and play in your country. They can also effect the streaming apps (and TV shows and movies) you're able to access.
Of course, using a VPN provides multiple security and privacy-related benefits. That's because it encrypts your internet traffic and hides your IP address and location. This protects you from some of the security threats in online gaming such as swatting and DDoS attacks.
Last but not least, you may want to use a VPN with your PS5 console if you're suffering from bandwidth throttling from your ISP. The best VPNs for PS5 offer unlimited bandwidth for reduced lag and ping times. As such, you may benefit from improved performance when using a VPN.