Some Colombian streaming sites, as well as online banking and niche content sites, often restrict access based on your IP address which can tell them whether you’re physically in Colombia or not. this can be a problem for Colombian residents who want to access their favorite streaming services or banking sites while traveling abroad. An easy way to solve this problem is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to gain a Colombian IP address.
A VPN encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and routes it via an intermediary server that you choose. By selecting a server in Colombia, your real IP address will be replaced with a Colombian one, allowing you to bypass restrictions on geographically blocked sites. What’s more, the encryption aspect of a VPN means your internet traffic will be unreadable to any snoopers, including hackers or your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
In this article, we reveal how to get an IP address for Colombia and the best VPNs for the job.
How to get an IP address for Colombia
VPNs are very easy to set up and get started with. Just follow our step-by-step guide.
Here’s how to get an IP address for Colombia:
- Settle on a service that meets your needs (we recommend Surfshark).
- Once your payment has been successfully authenticated, download the native software for your device. Only trust official app stores and websites; discard third-party sites.
- Connect to a server in Colombia and wait for the connection to be established.
- Try accessing geo-restricted Colombian content. Don’t panic if it doesn’t work immediately. You might have to clear your browser cache and cookies and try again.
- Congrats! You are now armed with an IP address from Colombia and can access your favorite content from back home.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
Surfshark is offering a 7-day free trial and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for gaining a Colombian IP Address with no restrictions for a month—great if you're going on a short trip or if you're unsure about your needs.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide Surfshark isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your Surfshark trial here.
There’s plenty of detail on each of the VPN providers below, but in case you only have time for a summary, start here.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting a Colombian IP address:
- Surfshark: Our #1 choice for getting a Colombian IP address. Offers unlimited device connections, double obfuscation, 24/7 customer support, and comes with a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN: a reliable option for gaining a Colombian IP address. Incredibly fast servers in a wide network of locations, including Colombia. High-grade security.
- CyberGhost: a great option for beginners looking to gain a Colombian IP address. Easy to use and some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested.
- IPVanish: Easy-to-use apps for remote control streaming users. Fast and secure.
- PrivateVPN: Great for unblocking popular streaming sites. Good privacy credentials.
- Private Internet Access: Excellent security and privacy options, fast server speeds, and a reliable customer support team.
Best VPNs for a Colombian IP address
VPN services exist in abundance across the internet, but they don’t all offer the same level of service. In order to make it onto our list, VPNs had to meet the following criteria:
- Offers a fast and stable connection
- Maintains several servers in Colombia
- Unblocks geo-restricted content without any noticeable problems
- Uses top-tier encryption protocols, so your data is protected at all times
- Provides apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS
- Doesn’t store any records of user behavior
This is just a short overview, but you can read more about our VPN testing process below.
Here’s our full rundown of the best VPNs for getting a Colombian IP address.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top pick for a Colombian IP address, its an excellent choice for users looking for privacy and security and great value for money. It operates in over 95 countries, including Colombia, and has a network spanning 3200+ servers. Whether you’re traveling to Colombia or connecting from abroad, we’ve experienced lightning-fast connection speeds that are fast enough for buffer-free, uninterrupted connectivity.
Unlike many other VPNs, Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections and apps for all major platforms. That means you can use a single account to protect your whole family. Surfshark works with a plethora of streaming sites, making short work of geo-restrictions on platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, and Disney Plus. this allows you to continue watching your favorite shows from home, even when traveling abroad.
Surfshark uses AES encryption to keep your connection secure. It includes a kill switch and uses double obfuscation technology, which is perfect for places with heavy internet censorship. 24/7 customer support via live chat is available for those times when you need a helping hand. If you’re unsure if Surfshark is for you, you can take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee before committing long-term.
- Allows unlimited simultaneous devices
- Works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Lightning-fast servers
- Powerful security features and a zero-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat support
- Kill switch in all apps
- Customer support could be improved
BEST VPN FOR A COLOMBIAN IP:Surfshark is our top pick, It’s an excellent, great value service that offers unlimited device connections, a kill switch for all platforms, and 24/7 support.Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a great choice, thanks to its reliability, speed, and well-designed user interface. It offers more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Colombia.
One of ExpressVPN’s manifold benefits is its ability to consistently outsmart geo-restricted streaming media services. It offers support for Netflix US, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Fox, Sky, Acorn TV, and more. What’s more, it can stream HD and 4K video without any discernible buffering (given, of course, that your internet connection is able to support it in the first place).
Security parameters are robust. ExpressVPN deploys 256-bit encryption, also referred to as ‘military-grade encryption’. Additional security features include an internet kill switch, perfect forward secrecy, and protection against DNS leaks. WebRTC and IPv6 leak coverage is part of the package. ExpressVPN also adheres to a policy of not storing any data logs that can potentially identify its users. There’s a bit of metadata retention, but no personally identifiable information – such as IP addresses – is stored on servers.
Customer support via live chat is available around the clock and privacy-conscious users will be happy that there’s the option of paying via Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Fast, reliable speeds – streaming HD content or downloading/uploading large files
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Works with Netflix US, UK, and others
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Exceptional server coverage in 94 countries including Colombia
- Slightly more expensive than other providers on our list
INCREDIBLY FAST VPN:ExpressVPN is perfect for streaming. It’s a world-class service and will meet your expectations regarding speed, stability, and security. Try it risk-free with the 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost operates an ever-growing network of more than 8,000 servers across 91 countries, including 24 servers in Colombia. Not only is it fast and efficient, but it’s also remarkably easy to set up and get started with.
This provider is popular for its streaming and unblocking capabilities; guidelines for accessing specific platforms are available inside the app. Just select ‘unblock streaming’ mode and follow the step-by-step instructions.
A paid account allows for seven devices to connect at the same time, and the service ships with several add-ons, including an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default. These are top-tier protocols so your digital footprint will be protected. Additionally, there’s an always-on internet kill switch included (in the desktop app), as well as perfect forward secrecy and DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection
The company is registered in Romania where there are no mandatory data retention laws in effect. No user data of any sort is logged, including personally identifiable information or timestamps. Live chat is available around the clock.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS.
- Great value low-cost provider
- Fast, reliable service
- Operates a network of more than 8,000 servers in 91 countries
- Secure and private
- Always-on kill switch for extra security
- Lack of advanced features
HUGE SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has over 8,000 servers and doesn’t skimp on premium features. Its quality of service has been increasing consistently. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Here’s our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has a global network of more than 2,000 servers in over 75 locations. Colombia hosts 5 servers, with all of them located in Bogota – the capital city. IPVanish is fast and secure and is able to access a plethora of streaming services such as Netflix US, HBO Now, and Sling TV.
This provider is heralded for its commitment to security and privacy. It is unusual in that it owns all the servers it operates, while most VPNs either rent space or outsource operations to a third party. Plus, it’s known as a ‘no-logs’ provider because not even its own staff are able to identify users’ digital footprints.
IPVanish deploys 256-bit AES encryption to protect all user traffic and guards against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Additional features include an internet kill switch. Torrenting is allowed, too, and IPVanish is a favorite with Kodi users for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device. Another reason is that the interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
A paid account can support unlimited devices at the same time, meaning you can protect your family with one account. Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS are included.
- Wide network of servers in over 75 countries including Colombia
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Unlimited simultaneous devices
- Popular with torrenters and Kodi users
- Doesn’t accept bitcoin
- Based in the US
ALL-ROUNDER:IPVanish is fast and private and allows unlimited simultaneous connections. It includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN hasn’t been around as long as some of the other services we’ve recommended, but that doesn’t make its product inferior by any stretch. This provider has excellent speeds and robust security and does a good job of unblocking geo-restricted content.
At the moment, it has around 200 servers in 63 locations, with one virtual server located in Colombia. Don’t be alarmed by the fact that it’s a virtual server, as opposed to a physical one. It will still get you a Colombian IP address.
For securing user traffic, PrivateVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption along with perfect forward secrecy on the OpenVPN protocol. An internet kill switch is included.
As we mentioned earlier, PrivateVPN gets rave reviews for being able to unblock streaming media content. It thwarts restrictions on Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and many more, allowing you to watch your home streaming libraries while traveling. While customer support isn’t available around the clock, it’ll still help you out until your support query is resolved.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. A single account allows for 10 devices to connect concurrently.
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Smaller number of servers than our other providers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
PACKS A PUNCH:PrivateVPN is an impressive service with strong security and excellent speeds It backs its commitment to user satisfaction with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a popular option for users in Colombia looking to keep their connection private, unblock streaming platforms, and perform activities like torrenting without fear of being caught. PIA operates from the United States and has servers in 80+ countries, including Colombia.
Speeds are efficient across most of the locations we’ve tested, and with the support of Wireguard, you can expect HD or 4K streaming. If you need a connection boost, you can decrease your encryption level for activities that don’t require extra security (like streaming). AES encryption is the standard used by PIA, and you’ll also get split tunneling, malware blocking, and ad blocking included.
PIA includes a 10 simultaneous device limit and support apps on most operating systems. It offers 24/7 support and gives you 30 days to try the service with its money-back promise.
- Keep no logs, DNS leak protection and kill switch are included
- Servers in over 80 countries
- Excellent Kodi support
- Struggles with some streaming services
- Streaming speeds can be inconsistent
10 DEVICE CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access unblocks a decent range of streaming platforms from Colombia and abroad. It includes several helpful security features and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of Private Internet Access.
Methodology: how we pick the best VPNs for Colombia
When we add a VPN to our list of the best providers, we run through rigorous testing to ensure they meet the needs of our users. Below is a list of some of the criteria we check for before giving a VPN the thumbs-up:
- Unblocking ability: Many users want a VPN to stream content from their home libraries while traveling abroad, so we test providers to ensure they can access the likes of Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, and more.
- App support: With internet usage on multiple platforms, we check that our VPNs support the platforms our users require, such as desktops and smartphones.
- Server locations: Whether you live in Colombia or you’re traveling, we look for VPNs with a significant number of servers in countries spanning the globe. Our VPNs on this list have a range of server locations, including servers in Colombia or nearby, to provide the best performance no matter where you connect from.
- Security: We expect VPNs to have a no-logs policy and AES 256-bit encryption at the minimum to keep your connection secure. If they have extra features like a kill switch, even better.
- Speed: We run all VPNs through speed tests using nearby servers and those further away from our physical location to ensure consistent speeds across the network.
- Value: We search for providers that offer a money-back guarantee so that you can try the service before you buy. We also look for those with multiple device connections, with some VPNs offering unlimited connections.
To get a feel for the rest of our test criteria, read our VPN testing methodology.
Can I use a free VPN to obtain a Colombian IP address?
You’ll be able to find free VPN services with a simple search of the internet, but we advise you not to take this route.
We understand how tempting such services may seem. There’s no upfront payment or commitment to a long-term deal. But free VPNs aren’t charities or nonprofits; they have to make money to pay for overheads such as staff salaries and server maintenance costs. The end result is that they look to monetize the traffic they generate.
Some spurious free VPN providers have been caught mining user data in order to sell digital profiles to third-party advertisers. Many free VPN apps even come bundled with malware which can not only lead to permanent data loss but can also result in threats and extortion.
Their limited speeds and low bandwidth availability means they’re an extremely poor fit if your end goal is to either stream content or torrent files. What’s more, most free VPNs don’t offer the luxury of selecting servers from an expansive dropdown list. As such, you will be hard-pressed to come across a free VPN that gives you the option to connect to a server in Colombia.
Overall, it’s in your best interests to stay away from free VPNs. Users looking for a short-term fix should take advantage of paid VPNs offering 30-day money-back guarantees. Otherwise, we urge you to invest a few dollars each month for a paid VPN, as the investment will be worth it.
Colombian IP address FAQs
Can I use a VPN to watch Colombian television online?
Once you download a VPN and switch your IP address to Colombia, each website and app you access will assume that you’re physically located in the country. Local channels like Canal 1, Canal A, Nova Television, and Win Sports should work fine, but if you don’t get connected straight away, just check with a customer support representative as they may have a workaround. In some cases, they may ask you to sign up and obtain a username and password before you’re granted access, so be sure to do this before you begin the process.
See also: Best VPNs for Colombia
What sites are blocked in Colombia?
Colombian authorities don’t take kindly to online gambling sites, with over 1,000 of them blocked after a joint effort between the Ministry of IT and local police.
Also, journalists in Colombia have been targeted as part of an ongoing attempt to limit free speech. Some are subjected to physical intimidation and violence, and there have been reports of death threats and murders committed by local drug cartels and similar violent gangs. As a result, many media personnel practice self-censorship.
If you’re a journalist or whistleblower in Colombia, you could benefit from our guide to blogging safely and securely.
What else can I do with a Colombian IP address?
VPNs are routinely used to stream content, but there are a few other use cases too. An IP address from Colombia will help you gain access to your online bank account – from Bancolombia, Banco Popular, Banco AV Villas, and more – when you’re outside the country. A VPN will prevent fraud detection algorithms from activating red flags, because they’ll assume you’re actually in Colombia.
VPNs also make it safe for you to access public wifi, which can lack security, especially ones found at airports, hotels, malls, and coffee shops. Malicious entities potentially lie in wait to pilfer your data as soon as you click connect. But a VPN will encrypt your traffic and keep nosy hackers at an arm’s length.
What other methods can I use to obtain a Colombian IP address?
The Tor Browser has been around for a couple of decades. Its initial intention was to help individuals evade mass surveillance attempts by state authorities. It’s free to download and is used by journalists, human rights activists, and whistleblowers trying to stay anonymous online as they go about their public interest activities. Unfortunately, it’s very slow, so can’t be used for streaming. Plus, Tor has attracted a sordid reputation after being identified as a method to access the dark web, so it may be better to stay away for that reason alone.
You can also use a free proxy server to hide your real IP address. But these have really poor encryption standards and will easily be detected by the likes of Netflix or Hulu. Be prepared for disappointment in the case that you do explore this option.
Is it illegal to use a VPN in Colombia?
It is not illegal to use a VPN in Colombia. However, certain types of VPNs and services can be subject to restrictions or limitations. The Colombia Internet Law No. 581/200 states that internet service providers (ISPs) must block websites deemed to contain child pornography, hate speech, and other illegal content. The law also requires ISPs to monitor internet traffic and block any websites or content considered harmful or offensive.