There are plenty of reasons why an individual would want to surf the internet with an IP address from Germany. Citizens currently living abroad might wish to acquire access to banking services such as Deutsche Bank or Commerzbank. Other users could get a German IP address to unblock streaming platforms such as ARD Mediathek or Prosieben Video while abroad.
The quickest, easiest, and most efficient way to arm yourself with a German IP address is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). The software encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and routes it via an intermediary server. Hence it’s possible to spoof your location and make it appear that you’re accessing the web from Germany.
Short on time? No problem — read on for a quick guide to the best VPNs for getting a German IP address.
Best VPNs for a German IP Address:
- NordVPN: Our top pick for getting a German IP address. A blazing fast, reliable VPN with excellent security credentials, a no-logs policy, and a low price. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: A great budget choice. Fast and versatile, this VPN excels at unblocking German TV channels like ARD abroad. Strong focus on security. No connection limit.
- ExpressVPN: This security-first service unblocks all kinds of content and has thousands of servers around the world.
- CyberGhost: A quick and reliable VPN that’s very easy to use. Unblocks major streaming services and delivers comprehensive security with just one click.
- IPVanish: This privacy-focused provider lets you secure any number of devices, provides consistently high speeds, and has more than 50 servers in Germany.
- PrivateVPN: One of the fastest VPNs on the market. Wide range of security features. Keeps no logs and boasts exceptional unblocking capabilities.
- Hotspot Shield: This user-friendly VPN offers speedy servers, strong security, and the ability to unblock all kinds of streaming services abroad.
How to get a German IP address
Even if you’ve never used a VPN before, they are very easy to set up. Follow our step-by-step instructions below.
Here’s how to get a German IP address from anywhere:
- The first thing you need to do is sign up for a VPN. The software will open up a range of server locations. You can select one from Germany to make it appear that you’re accessing the web from there, too. We recommend NordVPN.
- Register for the service and proceed to download the VPN software or app.
- Clear all cookies and restart your device.
- Log in to the VPN provider app or desktop client.
- Click on a server location in Germany. After a connection is successfully established, you’ll now be in possession of a German IP address.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a German IP address abroad with no restrictions for a month. This lets you use services like RTL and ZDF while on vacation abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just let support know within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll receive a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Even if you’re in the US, France, the UK, Canada, Australia, India, Singapore, Thailand, or elsewhere, using a VPN can help you get an IP address from Germany.
Video instructions for obtaining a German IP address
You can check your current IP address location and country here.
Best VPNs to get a German IP Address
Our list of the most efficient German IP address VPNs has been formulated keeping these factors in mind:
- Has multiple servers located in Germany
- Unblocks geo-restricted content
- Incorporates rigid encryption protocols
- Provides apps for Android and iOS
- Stores minimal traffic logs
- Offers value for money
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick for a German IP address. It has been in the business for over a decade, but never fails to impress, beating out most of its rivals when it comes to speed. NordVPN has several specialty server types including double VPN, Onion over VPN, or P2P-optimized. It offers more than 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries, with more than 240 of these in Germany alone.
Encryption standards are considered to be top-tier. The service uses the 256-bit AES protocol by default coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection is enabled. NordVPN is a completely logless VPN service and recently launched its own WireGuard-based protocol named NordLynx.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and MacOS. Alternatively, you can manually configure this service for use on supported routers.
- Excellent speeds
- Around 240 German servers
- Exceptional unblocking ability
- Top-notch security features
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Desktop apps take two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR GERMANY:NordVPN is our first choice for getting a German IP address. This no-logs VPN boasts superfast speeds, a six-connection allowance, and an impressive security offering. Plans include a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost, speedy VPN that offers access to more than 3,000 servers in 60+ countries (Germany included). This service works exceptionally well with streaming services, allowing you to live stream German TV channels like ARD and ZDF (plus more than 30 Netflix libraries), wherever you are in the world. To sweeten the deal even further, it allows you to connect as many devices as you like.
We were pleased to see so many security features included. To begin with, there’s 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a customizable kill switch. However, this VPN also includes automatic malware-scanning and ad-blocking, plus a NoBorders mode for bypassing country-wide restrictions. Equally important, Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs. If you need help, you can contact support staff via 24/7 live chat.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. It’s also possible to manually configure this service for use with supported home routers.
- Fast enough for most purposes
- Unblocks all kinds of region-locked services from abroad
- Puts your privacy first
- 24/7 support
- Settings menu could be better organized
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark offers decent speeds and excellent unblocking capabilities without compromising on security. What’s more, it keeps no logs, comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, and has no connection limit.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates a large network of servers with options in Germany and more spread across Europe and North America. This provider is known for its high speeds and impressive ability to unblock geo-restricted content.
ExpressVPN incorporates military-grade encryption protocols and thanks to its new Lightway protocol, doesn’t force you to compromise on speed. It leverages 256-bit AES, perfect forward secrecy, and an internet kill switch to keep you safe online. The company doesn’t store any detailed traffic logs on its servers. It does, however, retain a sliver of anonymous metadata but that’s to improve the quality of the service.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Further, its newly-updated router app is easier than ever to install.
- Offers speedy servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Great at unblocking German streaming services abroad
- Strong security and privacy features
- Anonymous payment option (Bitcoin) available
- Sightly more expensive than some of its competitors
WELL-BALANCED VPN:ExpressVPN is fast enough for uninterrupted streaming, boasts plenty of powerful security features, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost will appeal to beginner users on a budget. The service is fast, intuitive, and ships with an ever-expanding list of server locations. At the time of writing, there are more than 7,400 servers online with around 900 of them based in Germany. If you’re looking to stream German content, CyberGhost is an excellent choice. That’s because it has specific servers for 7TV, ARD, and Netflix DE.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default (although recent versions added WireGuard support). An internet kill switch is included and can not be turned off. Additional security features include an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking. CyberGhost is based in Romania and hence not subject to any mandatory data retention laws. Consequently, this service doesn’t keep any logs that oculd be used to identify you.
Apps are available for Linux, Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. This VPN also provides manual setup instructions for supported home routers.
- Over 900 high-speed German servers
- Great for streaming, torrenting, and browsing safely abroad
- Very easy to use
- Could offer more control over advanced functionality
GREAT FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost makes it easy to get a German IP address abroad. Its 900+ speedy German servers provide exceptional security and unblock all kinds of content. There’s even a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our extensive CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is an excellent choice for users looking to benefit from express speeds and hardy encryption protocols. It offers more than 1,900 servers spread across 60+ countries. There are about 55 German servers in total, as well as plenty of options in neighboring countries too. Better still, this provider doesn’t limit the number of devices you can connect at the same time.
Encryption standards are top-tier. IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default (with WireGuard support slated for release in the near future), SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. Other than when an account is registered for the first time, IPVanish doesn’t keep any logs, which will please privacy advocates.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. You’ll have to manually install this service on Linux systems and wireless routers.
- 50+ high-speed servers in Germany
- Impressive range of security features
- Lets you secure every device you own
- Has difficulty unblocking some larger streaming services
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:, which means you can get a German IP address on all of your devices at once. Also boasts powerful security features, a no-logs policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has around 200 servers in 63 countries including Germany. This is a bit lower than the other providers we’ve recommended but it should still do the job. On the plus side, PrivateVPN is extremely fast and renowned for its ability to unblock popular streaming services.
This provider actually just became its own ISP and hosting provider, which means that it has complete control over your data. This is a huge bonus from a privacy standpoint. The apps include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, leak protection, and a stealth mode for bypassing stubborn VPN-detection measures. Notably, PrivateVPN is a completely logless service.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. This VPN can be manually installed on a wide range of network routers.
- Extremely high speeds
- Capable of unblocking all but the most stubborn services abroad
- Major security focus
- Live chat goes offline for a few hours per day
- Relatively small network
VERY HIGH SPEEDS:PrivateVPN offers powerful security features and is one of the fastest services we’ve tested. It unblocks plenty of German streaming platforms with ease. Additionally, it offers a a zero-logs policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers in 80+ countries so you should have plenty of choice when it comes to speedy German servers. This VPN prioritizes ease of use, with cleanly-designed apps,, plus streaming speeds. In fact, users will be able to watch ARD, Netflix Germany, and Disney+ without any problems at all.
It’s exceptionally strong on security on too, boasting 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Users can even enable automatic wifi protection, which connects to the VPN whenever you use an unsecured network. Newer versions of the app offers IKEv2 support too. Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any identifiable logs and provides 24/7 support.
Hotspot Shield has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Manual installation is required for home routers.
- Fast enough for almost any task
- Excellent unblocking potential
- Takes user security seriously
- Some past privacy concerns
- Users can’t sign up anonymously
GREAT FOR GERMAN TV:Hotspot Shield is quick and reliable, with high-speed servers and a strong security focus. Not only that, but it works with all manner of services including Netflix DE and ARD. There’s even a 45-day money-back guarantee!
Check out our full Hotspot Shield review.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for a German IP address
Unfortunately, you can’t just use the first VPN you see. Each provider differs in terms of speed, security, and server scale, for instance. Some might not even offers servers in Germany at all! To make sure that we only recommend the best possible VPNs for the task at hand, we decided to only bring you those that excelled in all of the following areas:
- German servers: Without German servers, you simply can’t get a German IP address. The number available also matters, though; the more there are, the easier it’ll be for you to find one with low load.
- Speed: Slow speeds lead to laggy streams and websites that fail to load properly. Comparitech regularly runs VPN speed tests and only recommends those that have performed well recently.
- Streaming ability: We test VPNs against a wide range of streaming services (including Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max) to see just how well they work. In this instance, we prioritized those that reliably accessed German channels like ARD.
- Security and privacy: You have to be able to browse and stream safely. For this reason, our recommended VPNs must include 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy. Obviously, we’re big fans of providers that go even further than this.
- Value: We see a lot of VPNs, so it’s easy to tell if a provider is charging more than their service is really worth. As well as only recommending those that are priced fairly, we seek out services with steep long-term discounts and a money-back guarantee.
- Ease of use: Security should be available to all, which is why we prefer VPNs that are easy enough for complete beginners to use. Ideally, they’d make things even simpler by removing connection limits, providing 24/7 live chat, and offering apps for a wide range of devices.
This isn’t actually all of the testing we perform! If you’re interested in learning more, we’ve put together a complete guide to how we test VPNs at Comparitech.
Can I use a free VPN to obtain a German IP address?
When you sign up for a VPN you want to be assured that your digital footprint is hidden and secure. Free VPN services exist in abundance across the interwebs and they’re heavily advertised to boot. But such providers won’t come with the customizable options that are a hallmark of paid services.
In our extensive testing, we’ve found that free VPNs only offer a small choice of servers, incorporate weak encryption standards, engage in bandwidth throttling, and, in some cases, unethically mine your data to sell to third-party advertisers. You might get lucky and be able to connect to a German server but your experience will definitely be sub-par.
Such services aren’t charities and they’re looking to make money. When they’re offering their product for free, you should be aware that there’s definitely a catch. Some will inundate you with migraine-inducing popup advertisements, while others might constantly pester you to upgrade to a premium (read: paid) plan. And the most unethical ones will track your browsing history and sell your profile to advertisers.
Overall, it’s in your best interests to invest a few dollars and obtain a paid VPN service. It’ll give you peace of mind.
Why do I need a German IP address?
Advocacy body Freedom House awards Germany’s internet landscape a “free” status, noting that “open discussions about controversial developments are possible and frequent, and involve a wide range of stakeholders.” It adds that an “independent court system plays its part in checking measures by the executive and the legislature.”
German state authorities don’t impose blockades on content or practice other forms of internet filtration. The web is uncensored, free, and accessible to all. Some exceptions to this rule are the application of copyright laws; torrenting copyrighted material is considered illegal in the country and YouTube has also blocked some videos in Germany so as to not fall afoul of state policies.
If your aim is to access the free, unfettered web, then it’s a good idea to obtain a German IP address. This could be particularly useful for netizens in countries such as Iran, China, and Russia where state authorities work around the clock to monitor and block content.
For German residents traveling abroad, a VPN will help you stay in touch with local content from back home such as DW, Zattoo, and MySpass. It’ll also help you stream the latest Bundesliga matches. If you’re looking for more German content, Streema has a comprehensive list of online German channels. Some are free to stream, while others require that you sign in with a username and password.
What are the other methods to obtain a German IP address?
For extremely cash-strapped users there’s always the option of downloading the Tor browser. It’s borne out of the Tor project, which aims to guard against network surveillance and violation of confidential business relationships and privacy.
The Tor browser is free and incorporates sophisticated encryption and anonymity standards. It’s popular with journalists, human rights activists, and whistleblowers as it allows them to hide their identity for free.
But Tor isn’t a great option if you’re looking to acquire a German IP address in order to engage in financial transactions or video streaming. Speeds are extremely buggy and slow. You can still choose to get a German IP address with Tor if you so desire and this guide will break it down in more detail.
Another option is to engage a free proxy server. However, this is similar to how free VPNs operate with download caps and egregious privacy policies. Most streaming providers like Netflix have started to block proxies and there’s a high chance of them not working the way you want them to anyway.
The major problem, however, is those proxy servers won’t encrypt your traffic the way a VPN does, so you’re leaving yourself susceptible to online monitoring by an ISP or other snoopers. The proxy provider itself could also monitor your online behavior.
Can I put a German IP address on my home router?
By using a VPN, you can assign your home router with a German IP address. Most major VPNs provide manual setup instructions for this. However, it may be that your router isn’t VPN-compatible. In this case, you should look to purchase a pre-flashed router (a router that is already configured to work with a specific VPN). This should save you a lot of time. In setting up, you’ll need to connect to a server in Germany to get a German IP address.
Is changing your IP address illegal in Germany?
VPNs are legal in Germany and it’s also perfectly legal to change your IP address. Indeed, this is the case for most countries worldwide. As such, you won’t have any issues connecting to a VPN and changing your IP address in Germany as long as what you’re doing online is within the confines of the law. Of course, using a VPN to conduct illegal activities such as torrent copyrighted material remains illegal regardless of your IP address.
How will I know my IP address has been changed to Germany?
Most major VPN apps display the current IP address to which you’re connected. However, it may be that you wish to know if your IP address has been changed to Germany. You can check this by accessing online content that is only available in Germany (such as a TV platform or streaming service). If the content is unblocked, you have a German IP address. Otherwise, try whatismyip which shows your IP address and an approximate location.