Like most major streaming platforms these days, VRT is geo-restricted. Should you attempt to use it from outside of Belgium, you’ll see the following error: “Oei – Jammer genoeg is deze video niet beschikbaar. We beschikken momenteel niet over de rechten om deze video aan te bieden.”. This roughly translates to “Oops – Unfortunately this video is not available. We currently do not have the rights to provide this video.”
Despite this, the service’s regional restrictions are actually quite easy to get around. All you have to do is connect to a Belgian VPN server. This changes your IP address, making it look as though you’re actually in Belgium and tricking geo-blocked platforms like VRT into letting you use them, regardless of your actual location. As a bonus, the best VPNs will also encrypt your internet traffic, stopping your ISP, employer, or any other snoopers from seeing what you do online.
VRT is region-locked so if you would like to carry on using this service while abroad you will need to connect to a VPN.
How to watch VRT from anywhere using a VPN
Try not to panic if you’re new to VPNs and unsure of where to start. If you just follow the steps below, you’ll be streaming VRT live online in no time.
Here’s how to watch VRT online from abroad:
- Your first task is to decide which VPN you’d like to use. We recommend NordVPN.
- Next, download the VPN app and install it on any device you use often. Most providers permit five or so simultaneous connections, though this varies.
- Log in and connect to a server in Belgium.
- Now, just visit VRT and try watching one of the live streams. It should start playing right away, but if not, we’d advise you to clear your cookies and cache before trying again. If problems persist, contact your VPN’s customer support team for more advice.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for watching VRT, free from any restrictions, for a month—great if you want to stream your favorite shows while traveling abroad.
There are no hidden terms or conditions—just let support staff know within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Choosing a VPN can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. For most people, the best option is to ignore the marketing hype and choose a well-rounded service over one that claims to be the best at one specific thing. This way, you’ll know for sure that your VPN is able to reliably handle day-to-day tasks like streaming and torrenting. All of the services we’re recommending today meet these criteria:
- Unblocks VRT and similar streaming platforms with ease
- Provides high-speed Belgian servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Uses cutting-edge security features and effectively uncrackable encryption
- Refuses to store personally identifiable information
- Offers apps for all major operating systems
If you’re short on time, you can find the quick version of our reviews below. Otherwise, scroll down for a more thorough look at each of the best VPNs for VRT.
Best VPNs for streaming VRT online
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for watching VRT abroad. Works flawlessly with VRT, Netflix, and more. Boasts consistently high speeds, a great security offering, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for VRT. Puts your privacy first with a true no-logs policy. Unblocks VRT outside of Belgium and lets you secure all of your devices at once.
- ExpressVPN: An extremely fast service with fantastic unblocking ability, servers in 94 countries, and plenty of security features built-in.
- CyberGhost: A user-friendly VPN with more than 150 servers in Belgium, plus some specifically designed for streaming. Offers quick connections and pre-configured security tools.
- IPVanish: This fast, zero-logs service has no issues accessing VRT abroad. Punches above its weight on security. Absolutely no limit on the number of devices you can connect at once.
- PrivateVPN: Excels at accessing stubborn streaming platforms. With above-average speeds, a true no-logs policy, and impressive security features, it’s a great choice for travelers.
- Hotspot Shield: Quick and reliable, with a large network and the ability to unblock all kinds of services including VRT. Ideal for everyday usage thanks to its strong security focus.
See also: Best VPNs for Belgium
The best VPNs for VRT
Below we’ll take a look at the best VPNs for streaming VRT online:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our #1 VPN for anyone looking to stream VRT outside of Belgium. It’s a well-respected provider with a reputation for being able to access stubborn streaming platforms. What’s more, it offers access to more than 55 Belgian servers and 5,400 elsewhere in the world. Thanks to its impressive speeds and six-connection limit, users are free to watch VRT across all of their devices.
This service is one of the strongest available when it comes to security. In addition to its new WireGuard-based NordLynx protocol, it offers 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. Best of all, NordVPN follows a true no-logging policy, meaning your activities remain private at all times. Support staff can be reached, 24/7, over email and live chat.
NordVPN comes with its own Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. Additionally, it can be manually installed on a wide range of supported routers.
- No problems accessing VRT abroad
- Very fast connections
- Leads the industry on security
- Doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever
- Provides around the clock support
- Takes two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR VRT:NordVPN is our top choice. It combines high speeds, top-notch security, and best-in-class unblocking ability to create a service that’s extremely hard to beat. Works flawlessly with VRT and includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget provider for VRT. To begin with, it’s capable of accessing all manner of geo-blocked services including 30+ Netflix libraries, VTM, and Tipik. It’s very fast too, with an average speed of 71 Mbps. As such, you shouldn’t notice any lag or buffering when live streaming Belgian TV from abroad. Finally, Surfshark users can connect every device they own at the same time, making it an extremely attractive option for families.
This VPN keeps you safe using effectively uncrackable encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a feature that blocks ads, malware, and trackers automatically. These features, combined with a strict zero-logs policy, make it extremely difficult for anyone to trace your activities back to you. Surfshark recently added a new feature that checks its users’ passwords against a list of leaked data, allowing you to find out if you’ve been impacted. 24/7 support is on-hand via email and live chat.
Surfshark has apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux devices. It’s also possible to manually configure this service for use on supported wireless routers.
- Reliable high-speed connections
- Works well with VRT and similar services
- Impressive security toolkit
- Follows a strict no-logs policy
- Protect all your devices at once
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our go-to budget option for VRT. It unblocks VRT, Netflix, and more, plus its security and privacy features are among the strongest on the market. Doesn’t restrict you to just a few connections at once. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Why not read the complete Surfshark review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has around 3,000 servers in 94 countries, which is more locations than any other major provider offers. Its unblocking capabilities are some of the best on the market, and as well as VRT, users can access platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video abroad. As if that wasn’t enough, this service topped the list in our most recent speed tests, with an average speed of 135 Mbps. Up to five simultaneous connections are permitted per account.
This service is strong on security too. Your connection is secured using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch (named the Network Lock). Further, all of ExpressVPN’s servers run on RAM instead of physical storage, which greatly reduces the risk of information being leaked or stolen. Of course, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data but the extra peace of mind this provides is always welcome. A 24/7 help desk is available over live chat and email just in case you have any problems.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. There’s also custom router firmware, which was recently updated to provide smoother, more reliable performance.
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Known for its strong unblocking ability
- Clearly values user security
- Keeps no traffic logs and accepts Bitcoin
- On the higher end of the pricing spectrum
GREAT FOR LIVE TV:ExpressVPN boasts the highest speeds of any major provider, and works flawlessly with VRT, Eén, and more. Also has a fantastic set of security tools, plenty of countries to choose from, ExpressVPN boasts the highest speeds and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has roughly 7,200 servers in 91 countries, around 150 of which are in Belgium alone. This service reliably unblocks a wide variety of region-locked platforms, from VRT to Netflix, and even offers dedicated streaming servers (though none of these are in Belgium, unfortunately). With steady speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a seven-connection limit, there’s plenty to like, especially if you’re planning on watching TV as you travel abroad.
Because all of its security tools come pre-configured, there’s very little setup needed. As soon as you connect, you’re taking advantage of a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and automatic malware-scanning. The latest version of CyberGhost even includes a password manager and a tool that can inform you if your email address is found in any major data breaches. CyberGhost doesn’t store any logs that could identify you. Customer support staff are ready to help, day or night, over email and live chat.
CyberGhost users can install apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Alternatively, they could follow manual setup instructions to install this service on their home router.
- More than fast enough for streaming
- Over 150 Belgian servers
- Solid privacy and security features enabled by default
- Fast and friendly customer support
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
EASY TO USE VPN:CyberGhost might be beginner-friendly but it doesn’t compromise on security or privacy. Has very high speeds, great streaming potential, and a vast network of servers. Additionally, all plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish users can choose from over a dozen Belgian servers, and more than 1,600 in 60+ countries worldwide. This service owns all of its servers, and recently improved its network infrastructure to provide faster, more reliable speeds. In practical terms, this means you shouldn’t have any issues when streaming VRT abroad. Further, this is one of the few VPNs on the market that allows you to connect all of your devices at the same time.
Thanks to IPVanish’s 256-bit AES encryption, its kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, your online activities are kept private at all times. If you’re using the OpenVPN protocol, you can even scramble your data, which can help disguise the fact that you’re connected to a VPN at all. This service hopes to introduce WireGuard support in the near future, which would help bring it into the next era of VPN security. IPVanish is a zero-logs provider with a 24/7 live chat-based help desk.
IPVanish has apps for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android devices. If you’d like to install it on a Linux computer or wireless router, you’ll have to do so manually.
- Provides steady speeds
- No-logs VPN with plenty of advanced security features
- Doesn’t have a connection limit
- Can’t unblock as many streaming platforms as some others on this list
WATCH WITHOUT LIMITS:IPVanish provides reliable speeds, strong privacy protections, and the ability to secure every device you own simultaneously. Has no issues unblocking VRT, La Une, or similar services outside of Belgium. It even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our comprehensive IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may only have around 200 servers globally, but these are all owned outright. Additionally, they provide some of the fastest speeds on the market, with an average of 71 Mbps. That’s almost enough to stream 4K video on three devices at once! This VPN also boasts excellent unblocking ability, and works with Netflix, VRT, and Disney+, to name a few examples. Six devices can be connected at any one time.
This service recently began acting as its own hosting provider and ISP, ensuring that nobody else has access to its users’ data. Naturally, part of this move was to ensure that it could provide a fully legal no-logs policy. This is only a small part of its privacy toolkit, though: its apps also offer 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, with WireGuard support expected to arrive later this year. Support is available most hours of the day, either over live chat or email.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. What’s more, this service works with many network routers, although manual setup is required.
- Ranks highly when it comes to speed
- Can bypass almost any online blocking
- Exceptional security and privacy offering
- Only has one Belgian server
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
FAST AND PRIVACY-CONSCIOUS:PrivateVPN provides some of the fastest speeds around, so it’s great for live streaming and torrenting. That’s not all: it also boasts fantastic unblocking capabilities, a strong security toolkit, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our thorough PrivateVPN review for more details.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield users have access to 1,800 servers spread across 80+ countries, including Belgium. Needless to say, this makes it an appealing prospect to people looking to stream as they travel. In fact, this VPN even works with stubborn platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and DAZN, so VRT doesn’t pose much of a problem. Speeds are consistently impressive and up to five devices can be connected at once.
This service’s apps offer a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, plus the ability to connect automatically whenever you use an unsecured wireless network. A recent update added support for IKEv2 connections, so there’s now an alternative to the company’s proprietary Hydra protocol. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs that could identify you, so your privacy is all but guaranteed. If you run into any issues, you can get help at any time via email or live chat.
Hotspot Shield has its own Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux apps. It can also be manually installed on select internet routers in order to secure every device on the network.
- Fast enough for almost any task
- Great at unblocking streaming services
- Puts your digital privacy first
- Has had privacy issues in the past
- Doesn’t support any anonymous payment options
SOLID ALL-ROUNDER:Hotspot Shield is a real workhorse, capable of handling whatever you throw at it. Works flawlessly with VRT, RTL, and Netflix. Takes user security seriously and provides a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the complete Hotspot Shield review.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for VRT
You can’t just use any VPN for streaming. After all, some are faster than others, some are more secure, and some are better at unblocking tricky platforms. To ensure we only recommended the best of the best, we took all of these criteria into account:
- Speed: A fast connection is vital if you’re hoping to live stream. We only recommend services that score highly in our periodic VPN speed tests.
- Servers in Belgium: Without these, your VPN won’t be able to unblock VRT. Further, the more that are available, the more reliable your speeds should be.
- Streaming services: We regularly test VPNs against the most popular streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer to find out what else they’ll let you watch, besides VRT.
- Value: We weigh up a VPN’s functionality and versatility to decide if it’s priced fairly. If a service charges more than we believe it’s worth, we simply won’t recommend it.
- Ease of use: The services we recommend have to be simple enough for a total beginner to use. We prefer those that allow an unlimited number of connections and that have strong multi-platform support.
- Security/Privacy: It’s not enough to be able to watch VRT; you have to be able to do so safely. We look for VPNs that offer (at minimum) powerful encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection. Without these features, your ISP could see that you’re streaming and throttle your connection.
It’s worth mentioning that the above considerations are just the first step. You can read more about our VPN testing methodology here.
Streaming VRT from abroad: FAQs
Can I unblock VRT with a free VPN?
It’s highly unlikely that you’ll be able to watch VRT abroad using a free VPN. To begin with, these tend to cluster their servers in high-traffic locations like the US. As there is relatively low demand for servers in Belgium, the country simply isn’t on the radar for most free providers. Even if you can get connected, you’ll be sharing what limited resources are available with every other user who wants a Belgian IP address. In other words, you’ll likely encounter very slow speeds and may not be able to stream at all.
Free VPNs come with real risks too. For instance, many are simply malware looking to capitalize on your desire to stream from abroad. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to tell if you’re using a safe service or not, since 18% of surveyed free VPN apps failed to use any encryption at all. To avoid these pitfalls, we strongly recommend making a decision based on the security and privacy credentials of a VPN, not just the price.
What can I watch on VRT?
VRT allows users to watch four Belgian TV channels live: Eén, Canvas, Ketnet, and Ketnet Junior. Further, it has an extensive (and constantly updating) catalog of on-demand content. Here is just a small selection of what you can watch on VRT:
- Andermans zaken
- Death in Paradise
- First Dates
- Green Wing
- Man Over Woord
- Schitt’s Creek
- The Bay