A VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through a middleman server in a location of your choosing. By connecting to a VPN server in the US, Netflix will think that’s where you are, and you can access the full range of TV shows and movies available in the US.
Not all VPNs will work, though. Netflix has caught on to VPN users and now blocks most connections from VPN servers, resulting in the following error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
We get into a lot of detail on each of the providers we feature below, but if you are short of time, here is our list of the best VPNs to watch US Netflix in Australia:
- ExpressVPN Our #1 pick for US Netflix! This provider owns some of the fastest and most secure servers in the US. Easily unblocks US Netflix and most other streaming sites. Includes 30-day money back guarantee.
- CyberGhost Best budget choice. Beginners love their easy-to-use apps. We were impressed by streaming speeds during testing.
- NordVPN Good all-rounder with a large network of servers. Speeds are good enough for HD streaming. Private and secure.
- IPVanish Favoured by Kodi users for their remote-control friendly apps. Allows 10 devices to be connected.
- PrivateVPN Newish network, one to watch, good at unblocking most streaming sites. Still growing their server list.
- Surfshark Fast, secure and all servers tested unblock Netflix.
- Hotspot Shield Affordable VPN with a wide network of fast servers. Secure and reliable for streaming Netflix and more.
How do I watch US Netflix in Australia?
To watch US Netflix in Australia, all you need to do is:
- Sign up for a suitable VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Choose a Netflix VPN server in the US.
- Connect to the server.
- Start watching US Netflix.
The Best VPNs for watching American Netflix in Australia
Note that not all the US servers from a particular provider will work with Netflix, so you may need to contact customer support to ask which server or location to use. All of the VPNs we recommend come with live chat customer support.
Only a few VPNs can get around the firewall reliably. Below, we’ve listed five of the best VPNs to unblock US Netflix from Australia or anywhere else in the world.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates several servers in the US that can unblock Netflix. Just ask the live chat support which server to use, and you’ll be up and running within minutes. ExpressVPN ensures you’ll have the necessary bandwidth to stream video in high quality with minimal buffering. In total, it operates more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries.
Besides Netflix, ExpressVPN unblocks BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video. It comes with best-in-class security, including a kill switch and robust leak prevention. The company stores no identifying logs of what you do online.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Linux, and certain wifi routers. You may connect up to three devices at the same time.
- Operates super-fast servers in 13 US locations
- Works with all major streaming sites, e.g. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Top-notch encryption, security, and privacy features are the default
- Easy to use apps for most platforms
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Not the cheapest option here without a coupon
BEST VPN FOR US Netflix:ExpressVPN is our top choice. It prioritizes your privacy, offers fast, secure connections, and boasts excellent unblocking capability. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it completely risk-free.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it easier than ever to unblock US Netflix from Australia. Instead of choosing a server location and hoping for the best, you can just select Netflix from a list of unblock-able streaming channels. Others include Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer.
CyberGhost scored a perfect score in our annual privacy and security assessment, so you can feel safe knowing your data won’t be visible to anyone but you. Speeds are great and there’s plenty of bandwidth to keep you binging high-quality video late into the night.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You can connect up to seven devices at the same time.
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- Apps are beginner-friendly and easy to setup
- Romanian based low-cost provider with strong privacy credentials
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:CyberGhost is easy to use. Great privacy with zero logs and DNS leak protection. Unblocks popular US streaming platforms. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN operates more than 5,700 servers worldwide, so it’s sure to have one that can unblock Netflix from Australia. Just use the knowledge base on the NordVPN website to look up which servers currently work with Netflix US. Other country’s Netflix libraries are listed as well, and you can also unblock Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, among others.
Subscribers avail of great security, a strict zero-logs policy, and enough bandwidth to stream Netflix in high quality. Security measures include a kill switch and leak prevention.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. You may connect up to six devices simultaneously.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Great low-cost alternative for streaming
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Finding a reliable server can be a process of trial and error
GOOD ALL-ROUNDER:NordVPN is a great performer for streaming and torrenting. Strong privacy and security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used
simultaneously from one account. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish is the fastest VPN we’ve tested, and it recently regained the ability to unblock US Netflix. If you want the highest quality video possible, this is the VPN for you. IPVanish isn’t as adept at unblocking streaming channels other than Netflix, but if that’s all you’re after, then give it a go.
IPVanish boasts uncrackable encryption, a no-logs policy, a kill switch, and leak protection. All that adds up to strong security you can rely upon.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You can connect up to 10 devices at a time, making IPVanish a bargain for a family or group of housemates.
- Very fast speeds
- Completely logless service won’t compromise your privacy
- Best performer for Android based Kodi devices in our testing
- Customer support is a little slow
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish is great for families and multiple connections. Unblocks US Netflix but you may need to chat with support to direct you to the best server. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is the newest provider on this list, but don’t let that dissuade you. Ever since it launched, it’s unblocked nearly every geo-locked stream we’ve thrown at it. That includes US Netflix, of course, along with BBC iPlayer and Hulu. PrivateVPN also performed well in our speed tests, so you can stream higher quality video with less buffering.
PrivateVPN meets all of our privacy and security standards. Servers that unblock Netflix US are clearly labeled in the app, so you won’t need to ask customer service which one to use. Live support is available should you encounter any issues, though.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You may connect up to six devices simultaneously.
- Servers in 9 US cities achieve good streaming speeds
- Swedish based provider with a strict no-logs policy
- They log no personally identifiable information on their users
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks US Netflix and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark makes it easy to access Netflix US from anywhere, even Australia. In fact, while there are specific servers for unblocking various Netflix libraries, the majority simply redirect you to the American version of the site. This means that Australians can get a lower-latency connection than if they had to use a server in the US.
This VPN clearly puts major emphasis on security. It keeps your data private at all times using a kill switch, protection against DNS, IPV6, and WebRTC leaks, and 256-bit encryption, but there’s also a built-in malware-scanner and ad-blocker. Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy so once connected, you’ll be almost completely anonymous.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Surfshark allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- Almost every server can unblock Netflix US
- Fast enough for HD streaming
- Takes your privacy and security seriously
- Doesn’t have the largest network
- Some servers faster than others
EASY UNBLOCKING:Use any Surfshark server to unblock Netflix libraries. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has 3,200+ servers in more than 70 countries, including servers in 26 US cities. We tested some of these locations at random and all the servers we tried unblocked US Netflix. Hotspot Shield also unblocks Netflix UK, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, among other platforms.
With no bandwidth limits and very fast speeds, streaming Netflix in HD is a breeze. This provider comes with strong security and an improved logging policy. Features include leak prevention and automatic wifi protection.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Up to five simultaneous connections are allowed.
- Unblocks Netflix UK, US, and other libraries
- Excellent low-cost option for streaming
- Strong security and privacy features
- Lacks advanced features for power users
- No support for Linux or routers
LOW-COST NETFLIX VPN:Hotspot Shield is a great low cost option. Its fast speeds and ability to bypass geo-restrictions make it a stellar choice for streaming. Use on up to 5 devices. Includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review
Can I use a free VPN to unblock Netflix?
Probably not. Most free VPNs just can’t unblock Netflix. You might get lucky and find one that does, but Netflix routinely blocks VPN servers, so it won’t last long. Paid providers have the resources to stay one step ahead.
Free VPNs are heavily limited. Due to server congestion or bandwidth restrictions, they’re too slow to stream high-quality video. You may encounter data caps or waiting queues, which can seriously disrupt your streams.
Finally, free VPNs can end up harming, rather than helping, your privacy. To make money, many of them track your online activity and sell your personal data to third party advertisers. Some VPN apps even carry malware payloads, so steer clear.
Netflix AU vs Netflix US
Australian Netflix has a total of 4,493 titles, according to JustWatch.
- 3,343 movies
- 1,150 TV series
US Netflix has a total of 5,097 titles:
- 3,872 movies
- 1,225 TV series
Titles you can get on US Netflix that are not available on Australian Netflix include:
- The Flash
- Grey’s Anatomy
- The Walking Dead
- Better Call Saul
- Twin Peaks
- The Office (US)
Netflix is slightly cheaper in Australia, where the base tier starts out at AU$8.99 (US$6.47). In the US, the same tier costs US$7.99.