Disney+ has proved to be an extremely popular standalone streaming service, earning more than 28 million subscribers in its first few months. With exclusive shows and movies including The Mandalorian and Frozen 2 available, families are signing up at an unprecedented rate. Unfortunately for some, Disney Plus is only available in 13 regions, including the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and the Netherlands. Even if you have an account, if you’re outside of those 13 countries, Disney+ will deliver you a location error:
Something went wrong. Please try again. If the problem persists, visit the Disney+ Help Center (Error Code 83).
What’s more, Disney+ doesn’t show the same roster of content in all its locations, so someone in the US, for example, will see a different catalog to those in the Netherlands. Thankfully, a VPN can help you access the Disney+ library of your choice from anywhere in the world. Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts internet traffic and sends it through an intermediary server in your choice of location. This switches your IP address with one from that location, tricking Disney Plus into thinking you’re located there.
In this post, we reveal exactly how to set up a VPN with Disney+ and the best VPNs for the job.
How to watch Disney+ online abroad with a VPN
Although a VPN sounds complex, most are straightforward to set up. Here are the steps:
How to watch Disney Plus with a VPN:
- Decide on a suitable VPN provider, choose a subscription, and submit payment. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the relevant app for your device from the VPN provider’s website or the appropriate app store.
- Install and run the app and enter your login credentials.
- Select a server in the same region as the Disney+ catalog you want to unblock. For example, for the US library, choose an American VPN server.
- Sign up for Disney+ if you haven’t already. Note that you will need a form of payment that matches your selected region (more details below).
- Log in to Disney+ and you should be able to stream content as normal.
With some VPNs, any server in a given region will work. For others, only select servers will unblock Disney+, so you may need to contact customer support to find out which one to use.
Best VPNs for changing Disney Plus regions
Not all VPNs will work with Disney+, as the platform employs detection measures to block VPN traffic. That said, many top providers find ways to bypass these restrictions. We’ll explain more about these below, but these are our top picks.
Best VPNs for Disney Plus:
- NordVPN: Our top recommendation for watching Disney+ abroad. Has a huge server network, great unblocking abilities, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Our low-cost pick. Boasts a ton of security features and decent speeds, and bypasses geo-restrictions with ease.
- ExpressVPN: Extremely fast, with a large number of location choices. Strong on security and privacy.
- CyberGhost: A secure, speedy service that will help you enjoy Disney+ from anywhere.
- IPVanish: This provider is fast and reliable and unblocks several popular platforms.
- PrivateVPN: Although it’s smaller than most of its rivals, PrivateVPN delivers on speed, security, and unblocking abilities.
As well as finding VPNs that work to unblock Disney+, we look at a full range of criteria when recommending the best providers. Here are the main factors we consider:
- Works reliably with Disney+
- Has excellent speeds and reliable connections
- Provides strong security
- Doesn’t log personal information
- Offers solid customer support
- Provides value for money
Best VPNs for Disney Plus
Here is our list of the best VPNs for Disney+:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a great pick for unblocking Disney+ as well as other popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. With more than 5,500 servers in 59 countries, you’re sure to find one to suit your needs. NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs of user activity or connection data.
This provider ensures your data remains secure with a range of features, including military-grade encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch (in all apps except Android), and protection against leaks. Other non-standard features include automatic wifi protection and the option of double VPN. Obfuscated servers can help you use a VPN connection in regions where VPN traffic is blocked, including China.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV, and NordVPN is manually configurable with select routers. This provider imposes a six-connection limit.
- Higher speeds than any other VPN we’ve tested
- Renowned for bypassing geo-restrictions
- Large server network
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Suite of security features
- Connecting to a server can sometimes take a little longer than expected
BEST DISNEY+ VPN:NordVPN is the best choice for Disney+. It has an expansive network, excellent unlocking abilities, and lots of security features. This provider offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our detailed review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has been gaining a great reputation in the VPN industry. With around 3,200 servers in over 60 countries, it’s known for the ease with which it bypasses blocks. It works well with Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more, and even works in China.
This provider ranks well on the security front too. It uses military-grade encryption in conjunction with perfect forward secrecy. There’s a kill switch in all apps and protection against leaks. Additional features include automatic wifi protection and split tunneling. Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV. Surfshark can be configured with select routers. A huge bonus of this VPN is the fact it has no connection limit so you can use it on as many devices as you like.
- Generally very high speeds
- Unblocks Disney+, Netflix, and more
- Connect any number of devices
- Lots of security features
- Strict no-logs policy
- Some servers are slower than others
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is inexpensive, has a ton of security features, and doesn’t impose a connection limit. It includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN easily unblocks a range of streaming platforms, including Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. It pegs incredible speeds and has a large network of more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. ExpressVPN even works reliably in China with no special configuration required. Live chat is available 24/7 in case you run into issues.
This VPN provider values your privacy and won’t log any identifying data. Security features include 256-bit encryption (which is considered uncrackable) with perfect forward secrecy, protection against leaks, and split tunneling. There’s also a network lock built into the desktop apps. This is ExpressVPN’s version of a kill switch, a feature that disconnects you from the internet in case your VPN connection drops to prevent data leaks.
Intuitive apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV. The VPN can be configured to compatible routers and even comes with custom, easy-to-use firmware. Router setup is handy if you want to cover all your devices at once, including your smart TV. ExpressVPN lets you connect up to five devices at a time with a router counting as one.
- Blazing fast speeds
- Unblocks a ton of streaming platforms
- Strong security and privacy
- Excellent support
- On the pricier side
- Could offer more control over advanced functionality
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is fast and reliable, making it a strong choice for unblocking Disney+. It pegs amazing speeds and bypasses geo-restrictions with ease. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is another solid choice for streaming Disney+. It has an intuitive interface with servers clearly labeled for the task they’re suited for, such as unblocking Disney+, Netflix US, and other popular sites. CyberGhost has been quickly expanding its server network and now has one of the largest in the industry with around 6,000 servers in 89 countries.
This is another no-logs provider that has your back when it comes to security. All apps come with a built-in kill switch and leak protection. Encryption is 256-bit AES with perfect forward secrecy.
Download apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV. CyberGhost is compatible with select routers. You can have up to seven simultaneous connections.
- Intuitive apps
- Unblocks plenty of services
- No-logs provider
- 24/7 support
- Doesn’t work in China
- May be less suitable for advanced users
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:CyberGhost has easy-to-use apps and will have you watching your favorite Disney movies in no time. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Learn more in our in-depth CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has great speeds and reliable connections. It doesn’t unblock as many sites as some of its rivals, but Disney+ works as does Netflix. IPVanish currently operates around 1,300 servers in over 60 countries.
Security and privacy are at the forefront for this provider. You get 256-bit encryption, leak protection, a kill switch in the desktop apps, and perfect forward secrecy. IPVanish never keeps any logs.
Desktop clients are available for Windows and MacOS, and there are mobile apps for iOS and Android. There’s an app for Amazon Fire TV in case that’s how you’re planning to watch Disney+. IPVanish works with Linux and select routers via manual configuration. This provider allows you to connect all of your devices at a time.
- Fast, reliable connections
- Strong encryption
- No logs whatsoever
- No connection limit
- Doesn’t unblock as many sites as some rivals
NO-LOGS PROVIDER:IPVanish is fast, secure, and private, making it suitable for streaming Disney+ and other platforms. A 30-day money-back guarantee is extended to subscribers.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a small network compared to most of its competitors with just 150 servers in 60 countries. It doesn’t disappoint on service, with great speeds, strong security, and the ability to unblock multiple sites. You can watch Disney+ along with other favorites such as Netflix and Hulu. PrivateVPN works well in China.
This service won’t log your information and offers similar security features to its larger peers. You get 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, leak protection, and a kill switch in the Windows app.
Native apps are available for iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, MacOS, and Windows, and there’s support for Linux and select routers. PrivateVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections.
- Unblocks all kinds of streaming services
- Great speeds
- Zero logs maintained
- Low number of servers
- Live-chat is unavailable at times
PRIVATE AND SECURE:PrivateVPN is a solid performer with great speeds and unblocking abilities, and private, secure connections. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our PrivateVPN review.
Can I use a free VPN with Disney+?
While shopping around for a VPN, you’ll no doubt come across a vast number of free options. These can seem attractive, but there are several reasons you should avoid them. First, free VPNs probably won’t work to bypass Disney+’s geo-restriction measures. These providers simply don’t have the resources needed to tackle a giant like Disney, so you’ll likely still end up being faced with an error and unable to view the content you want.
Even if a free VPN can unblock Disney+, you’ll need to be prepared for a poor overall experience. The business models of free VPNs mean you’ll likely be bombarded with ads served by the VPN itself or third-party advertisers. Plus, these services typically have lots of users clamoring to use a small number of servers, leading to wait times to connect and low-quality, buffering video.
If you’re at all concerned about online privacy and security, free VPNs are a no-no. These providers often track user activity and sell profiles to third parties. While reputable paid providers secure your information with the toughest encryption protocols, free providers typically use weak encryption or none at all. Some VPN apps have even been found to carry malware, and one was involved in stealing users’ bandwidth to use in a botnet.
Where is Disney+ available?
Disney+ was initially released in six countries, but as of March 2020, is available in 13 regions:
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- United Kingdom
- United States
There are plans for Disney+ to be rolled out to other parts of the globe, though the timeline is lengthy and vague. For example, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and some parts of Asia Pacific likely won’t see the service until 2021.
How do the Disney+ geo-restrictions work?
Due to broadcasting restrictions, Disney+ is currently only available in the above regions. This means that even if you have an account, you won’t be able to access the service from everywhere. For example, say you usually live in the US and set up an account there, but you’re currently in India, you won’t be able to use your account. You either won’t be able to log in at all, or you’ll be greeted with a streaming error.
Thankfully, all you need to do in this case is to follow the steps above to use a VPN to unblock the service.
But what if you don’t have an account yet? If you try to sign up from outside a served region, you’ll see a Keep Me Updated button. Clicking that prompts you to enter your email address but does not enable you to sign up for the service.
To bypass this issue, you need to connect to a VPN. Simply connect to a server in a region where Disney+ is available and you’ll be able to sign up. Note, however, that you’ll need to have a payment method associated with that region, or be able to bypass this restriction (see the next section).
If you’re in a region that Disney+ serves, then you can sign up and view content with ease. The one problem you might run into is that not all content is available everywhere. Due to broadcasting laws and restrictions in various countries, the content libraries may be different depending on where you’re located.
Notably, the US version of Disney+ carries quite a few titles that others don’t. While there don’t appear to be any standout titles omitted from other libraries, there are some Mickey classics such as Hawaiian Holiday and Boat Builders that are only available in the US.
Thankfully, you can access your desired title using a VPN. For example, if you’re in Canada, you can access US-only titles by connecting to a US VPN server.
How can I sign up for Disney Plus from abroad?
Disney+ restricts who can sign up for the service by only accepting payment methods from the regions it’s available in. This means that even if you use a VPN to access the site and can initiate the signup process, Disney will block you from subscribing if you don’t have appropriate billing information.
That said, some users claim to have been successful with workarounds:
Set up a Disney+ account with an Apple ID
This works on iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV, but once you have an account, you should be able to access it on any compatible device using a VPN.
- Sign out of your Apple account.
- Go to the App Store and select Create New Apple ID.
- Set the region to the United States and create an account. Don’t add a method of payment.
- Buy an iTunes gift card loaded with enough US dollars to pay for your Disney+ subscription. The current price is $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year.
- Redeem the gift card in the App Store.
- Connect to a US VPN server.
- Download and install the Disney+ app.
- Start the Disney+ subscription process. When you get to the payment page, use your iTunes gift card to pay.
Sign up for Disney+ with a Google Play Store account
Using this method, you should be able to set up a Disney+ account on any Android account. Again, once you’ve set up an account, it should be accessible from any device.
- Connect to a US VPN server.
- Create a new Google Play Store account, but don’t log in.
- Buy a Google Play gift card loaded with enough US dollars to pay for Disney+.
- Redeem the code in the Google Play Store. You’ll be asked to enter a US ZIP code, but any one will do.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google, and add your new account.
- Sign in to the Google Play Store with this account.
- Download and install the Disney+ app and sign up, using your Google balance to pay.
Bear in mind that as more people use these methods, Disney+ may decide to impose tighter restrictions on how one can sign up for the service.
What can I watch on Disney+?
Disney+ obviously has a ton of Disney content, including classics and newer releases, but there are shows and movies from other networks, too.
Here are some of the most popular titles you can expect to see:
- Avengers: Endgame
- Finding Dory
- Frozen 2
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Toy Story 3
- The Simpsons
- The Mandalorian
- How to watch Disney+ online abroad with a VPN
- Best VPNs for changing Disney Plus regions
- Best VPNs for Disney Plus
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- Can I use a free VPN with Disney+?
- Where is Disney+ available?
- How do the Disney+ geo-restrictions work?
- How can I sign up for Disney Plus from abroad?
- What can I watch on Disney+?