Traveling can be a lot of fun, but sometimes, you just want to watch content from back home. The problem is that most major streaming platforms are region-locked, meaning that they can’t be accessed outside of specific countries. Luckily, there’s an easy way to live stream Estonian TV channels like ETV, Kanal 2, and TV3 abroad: just connect to a VPN server.
So how does this work? Geo-restricted sites usually rely on your IP address to find your location. When you connect to a VPN, these sites can only see the IP address of your chosen server. This means that if the server is in Estonia, you’ll have an Estonian IP address, and should be able to access geo-restricted platforms no matter where you are in the world.
How to get an IP address from Estonia while abroad
Getting an Estonian IP address is quite straightforward. Just follow the steps below to spoof your location and unblock Estonian content abroad.
Here’s how to get an Estonia IP address from anywhere:
- First, you’ll need a VPN that offers Estonian servers. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Install the VPN app on your most commonly-used devices. Most providers permit five simultaneous connections, although this varies somewhat between services.
- Log in and connect to an Estonian server.
- Try using a geo-restricted Estonian service. You should now be able to use it as normal. If there are any issues, clearing your browser’s cookies and refreshing the page should help.
TRY IT FOR FREE: If you only need a VPN for a short time, you can take advantage of ExpressVPN’s 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee. An upfront payment is required, but you’ll be able to stream Estonian TV abroad and can cancel at any point within 30 days to receive a full refund.
Looking for the short version? You’ll find an at-a-glance guide to the best VPNs for Estonia below. Alternatively, keep reading for a more in-depth review of each.
Best VPNs to get an Estonian IP address:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for an Estonian IP address. Boasts high speeds, great unblocking ability, and plenty of powerful security features. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN: The best way to get an IP address from Estonia on a budget. This low-cost VPN can unblock plenty of Estonian TV channels and doesn’t compromise on speed or security.
- Surfshark: Unblocks a huge selection of region-locked services. Surfshark provides steady speeds and an impressive range of security and privacy features. It also lets users connect as many devices as they like.
- CyberGhost: A highly versatile VPN that’s easy to use and particularly good at accessing geo-blocked websites from abroad. Also boasts reliable speeds and a great range of security features.
- Hotspot Shield: This service offers excellent unblocking ability, strong online security, and some of the highest speeds around, making it ideal for watching Estonian TV abroad.
It’s easy to spend far too much time comparing VPNs; after all, every service has different security protocols, encryption algorithms, and selling points. That said, most people would be better served by a VPN that can handle everything reasonably well, rather than one that does one thing perfectly. To make sure all of the services we’re recommending can handle anything you throw at them, we decided to only consider those that meet the criteria below:
- Has at least one Estonian server, ideally more
- Provides consistently high speeds and is fast enough for live streaming
- Capable of unblocking popular Estonian streaming services abroad
- Protects you using cutting-edge security features
- Doesn’t keep any logs that could be used to identify you
- Comes with apps for all major operating systems
Best VPNs for getting an Estonian IP address
Without further ado, let’s examine each of our recommended VPNs in more detail:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers access to more than 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries including Estonia. This, combined with its reliable, high-speed connections, makes it an ideal choice for unblocking region-locked streaming platforms. In fact, as well as Kanal 2 and ETV, users will be able to access Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video, and more from anywhere. Up to five connections are allowed at once.
This service keeps your activities private at all times using 256-bit encryption. There’s also IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection, and a kill switch that stops sending data immediately whenever you lose connection to the VPN. There’s no need to worry about having your activities traced back to you since ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. Users can pay in Bitcoin for another layer of anonymity and live chat-based support is available around the clock.
ExpressVPN offers easy-to-use apps for Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. It also has custom router firmware that simplifies the process of securing your whole network.
- Speedy VPN with a large network
- Lets you watch ETV and Kanal 2 from outside of Estonia
- Best in class security and privacy
- Accepts Bitcoin payments
- Slightly higher cost than others
BEST VPN FOR ESTONIA:ExpressVPN is our first choice. It’s a user-friendly service that offers an unshakeable blend of security, speed, and unblocking ability. Still not convinced? It also comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the complete ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN certainly gives users plenty of choice, with access to over 5,000 servers in 59 countries (including Estonia). Its solid speeds and fantastic unblocking capabilities make it perfect for streaming. Whether you’re looking to watch TV3, Kanal 2, or even better-known platforms like Amazon Prime Video, NordVPN has you covered. Users can connect up to six devices at once.
This VPN is known for its strong security offering, including WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and an app-specific kill switch. There are also obfuscated servers that allow you to bypass strict country-wide censorship. What’s more, NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs. If you’d like even greater anonymity, it’s possible to pay in Bitcoin, Ripple, or Ethereum. This service offers 24/7 support over live chat and email.
NordVPN provides apps for iOS, Android, Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Users who want to secure all of their devices at once can manually install this VPN directly on supported routers.
- Plenty of fast Estonian servers
- Unblocks TV3, ETV, and more
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Accepts Bitcoin and keeps no logs
- Desktop app takes some getting used to
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is our top budget pick. This service boasts a huge range of security and privacy features, great unblocking capabilities, and over a dozen fast Estonian servers. As if that wasn’t enough, there’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark allows users to stream Estonian TV channels from outside Estonia, and even works with major platforms like Netflix. In fact, with 1,700+ servers in 63 countries, steady speeds, and unlimited bandwidth, there’s very little it can’t do. Best of all, this service breaks the mold by allowing you to connect every device you own simultaneously.
This provider uses 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch to keep you safe. Further, its apps include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a combined ad-blocker and malware-scanner, and a NoBorders mode capable of getting around even the strictest web censorship. Surfshark follows a true no-logging policy, meaning your privacy is in good hands. Should you run into any problems, you can talk to support staff directly via 24/7 live chat.
Surfshark has iOS, MacOS, Windows, Android, and Linux apps. Additionally, select home routers are supported via manual configuration.
- Fast enough for streaming live TV without any issues
- Can unblock Estonian streaming platforms with ease
- Strong record on security and privacy
- A relatively small server network
- Some servers are much slower than others
BROWSE WITHOUT LIMITS:Surfshark not only unblocks all kinds of Estonian streaming services, but it also keeps you safe whilst doing so. In fact, this speedy no-logs VPN even lets you secure all of your devices at once. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
For more details, read our in-depth Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 6,000 servers in 88 countries, so it’s great for accessing streaming platforms from all around the world, not just Estonia. Additionally, with unlimited bandwidth and very high speeds, you’ll be able to watch without any noticeable lag or buffering. This service has a seven-connection limit, meaning you should be able to secure all of your devices at once.
This VPN was designed for beginners, which is why all of its security features are enabled by default. Apps include a malware-scanner, a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Further, this service doesn’t log any information that could be used to identify you. If you need help, you can contact support via email or 24/7 live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android systems. If you’d like, this VPN can also be manually installed on supported wireless routers.
- Huge network of high-speed servers
- High speeds and great unblocking ability
- Impressive selection of security and privacy features
- May be less suitable for power users
SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE:CyberGhost makes it quick and easy to get an Estonian IP address abroad. It lets you safely stream all of your favorite shows and also offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to over 3,200 servers in more than 80 countries including Estonia. It’s an extremely fast service, making it ideal for getting an Estonian IP address and streaming channels like ETV and Kanal 11 abroad. That said, this VPN is more than capable of unblocking international platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Crave. With up to five simultaneous connections allowed, users can stream wherever they are.
This VPN clearly takes its users’ security seriously. It keeps your traffic safe from snoopers using a combination of IPv6 and DNS leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch. That’s not all: it’s also possible to connect automatically any time you use an unsecured network. Further, Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any identifiable data after your session ends, allowing you to browse in near-total anonymity. 24/7 live chat is available should you need it.
Hotspot Shield offers apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS devices. Further, it can be manually configured for use with Linux systems and supported network routers.
- Provides reliable, high-speed connections
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming services from abroad
- Includes a wide variety of powerful security features
- Working to repair reputation after past privacy issues
- Users can’t sign up anonymously
FAST AND RELIABLE:Hotspot Shield provides very high speeds and easily unblocks all but the most stubborn streaming services. With a strong security focus and a 45-day money-back guarantee, this VPN is well worth your time.
Interested? Check out the complete Hotspot Shield review.
Obtaining an Estonian IP address: FAQs
Can I get an Estonian IP address with a free VPN?
We don’t recommend trying to obtain an Estonian IP address with a free VPN. Free providers usually have a very small number of servers, clustered in sought-after areas like the US. Due to the high number of people looking to change their IP address for free, these small networks are easily overwhelmed. This means that, even if you find a free Estonian VPN server, it’ll likely be too slow to be of any practical use.
VPNs are designed to improve your digital privacy but by choosing the wrong one, you could end up doing the opposite. Research indicates that many of the free VPNs on major app stores are actually Trojans looking to infect your system with malware. Additionally, a high percentage of surveyed apps fail to use any encryption, meaning they’re effectively useless from a security perspective. To stay safe online, we recommend using a reputable VPN with a strict no-logs policy.
Can I watch Estonian TV abroad using a VPN?
You can watch several of Estonia’s most popular TV channels online for free. Here’s a quick rundown of some Estonian TV networks offering a live stream:
- Kanal 2
- FOX Life
- Kanal 11
What can I do with an IP address from Estonia?
There are plenty of ways you can use an Estonian IP address to your advantage. For instance, if you usually live in Estonia, connecting to an Estonian VPN server can help circumvent automated fraud prevention systems. This is useful when you’re traveling but concerned about being locked out of your Swedbank, SEB, or Luminor online banking service.
If you’re in a country with especially strict online censorship (like China or the UAE), you won’t be able to access many of the services you’re used to, like Facebook or Skype. However, these sites are available in Estonia, and by connecting to an Estonian server, you’ll be able to use them as normal. Of course, this method also allows you to stream Estonian TV from anywhere in the world.