If you’re traveling abroad and want to access content from back home in China you may have already found out a lot of websites and streaming services block their content abroad. VPNs can help you access region-locked services from outside of China. Usually, these platforms check to see if the user’s IP address comes from a specific country. If not, you’re prevented from using the service. However, when connected to a VPN, you’re given a new IP address, specific to the country your chosen server is in. This makes it simple to access geo-restricted sites like Youku, iQiyi, CNTV, or Tudou outside of China.
Believe it or not, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the government can see exactly what you get up to online. By connecting to a VPN, though, you can route your network traffic through servers in another country, sidestepping any monitoring systems that are in place and allowing you to browse the internet without worrying about who might be watching.
How to get a Chinese IP address using a VPN
With the right VPN, getting a Chinese IP address only takes a few seconds.
Here’s how to get a China IP address in 5 steps:
- First of all, sign up for one of the VPNs below (we particularly recommend CyberGhost).
- Next, download and install the VPN app. There’ll be several different versions, so be sure to get the appropriate one for your device or operating system.
- Connect to any of your VPN’s China servers.
- Visit a region-locked Chinese site. It should now be accessible, as though you were actually in China.
- If this doesn’t work, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies and cache, then reloading the page.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Chinese IP address with no restrictions for a month. This is perfect for anyone who wants to stream Chinese TV during a trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
In a hurry? Here’s a quick guide to the best VPNs for getting a Chinese IP address:
- CyberGhost: Our #1 choice to get a Chinese IP address. Boasts high-speed servers, strong unblocking ability, and a 45-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- Hotspot Shield: Best budget option. Hotspot Shield is fast enough for flawless streaming and makes it easy to get a Chinese IP address abroad.
- Ivacy: A security-conscious, high-speed VPN with reasonable unblocking ability and a zero-logs policy.
- HideMyAss: A popular service with strong encryption, decent unblocking capability, and the ability to get you an IP address from China wherever you are.
Thanks to China’s incredibly strict data-retention laws and the potential for interference from the government, most major VPNs no longer offer access to Chinese servers. This doesn’t mean you have to settle for whatever you can get, though; we’ll only be recommending high-quality VPNs that meet all of the criteria below:
- Has at least one server in China (although the more, the better)
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption and offers numerous other security features
- Provides reliable connections and consistently high speeds
- Logs no personally identifiable information
- Has apps for all major operating systems
Best VPNs for getting an IP address from China
Take a look below to find out which VPNs are best at getting you a Chinese IP address:
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a quick, user-friendly VPN with over 7,000 servers in 90+ countries, and more than 10 in China alone. It excels at unblocking region-locked streaming services, so you’ll be able to use all your usual Chinese services while abroad. Further, this service allows you to secure up to seven devices simultaneously.
All of this service’s security features are enabled by default. These include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Additionally, there’s a feature that can block ads and scan for malware automatically. Crucially, CyberGhost doesn’t keep any logs that could be used to identify you. If you run into any problems, support can be reached 24/7 over live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
- Thousands of fast servers around the world
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- Good security and they don’t store user activity logs
- May not offer enough control for advanced users
BEST VPN FOR UNBLOCKING CHINESE CONTENT:CyberGhost is our #1 choice. It’s speedy, security-conscious, and offers one-click unblocking for a wide range of streaming platforms. What’s more, it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Check out our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers in 80+ locations including China, making it easy to unblock geo-restricted platforms from all around the world. Further, with consistently high speeds, there’s no need to worry about excessive lag or buffering. This VPN allows you to connect up to five devices simultaneously, so it’s great for those looking to browse securely both at home and on-the-go.
This service uses 256-bit encryption and DNS leak protection to keep your traffic secure at all times. There’s also a kill switch in the Windows app which stops all data transferal whenever you lose connection suddenly. Hotspot Shield doesn’t log any personally identifiable information.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Unblocks major streaming services
- Powerful encryption
- No anonymous payment options
BEST BUDGET VPN:Hotspot Shield is our top budget pick as it allows you to quickly and reliably access sites like Youku outside of China. This VPN is fast, secure, and best of all, it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 Days
Ivacy operates around 3,500 servers in 180+ locations, including China. This service works with some of the most stubborn platforms out there (Netflix, for instance) so most Chinese services shouldn’t pose much of an issue. Additionally, with unlimited bandwidth and reliable high-speed connections, you’re free to watch in the highest possible quality.
This VPN clearly puts major emphasis on your security and privacy. It uses 256-bit encryption, DNS, IPV6, and WebRTC leak protection, and a kill switch (Windows only) to keep your activities hidden from prying eyes at all times. Further, Ivacy has a strict no-logs policy, meaning you are effectively untraceable once connected. For even great privacy, you can choose to pay in Bitcoin. 24/7 support is available over live chat in case of any problems.
Ivacy has apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. It can be manually installed on Linux systems and supported wireless routers.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Very fast speeds
- Advanced security features
- Securely access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Live chat support struggles to answer technical questions
STREAM SECURELY:Ivacy can get you a Chinese IP address in seconds. Strong security and privacy features, as well as the ability to unblock popular streaming platforms abroad, make it an excellent choice. Further, Ivacy includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out the complete Ivacy review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
HideMyAss might not have the largest network (around 1,000 servers) but it covers more than 280 locations, including China. This VPN unblocks Chinese TV Channels and streaming services like Youku with ease, and is fast enough to stream live HD video with no noticeable lag or buffering. With up to five simultaneous connections permitted, HideMyAss is great for anyone looking to protect all of their most commonly-used devices at once.
This VPN has apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. It also works with Linux systems and some internet routers, but must be installed manually.
- Decent speeds for streaming
- Good unblocking ability
- Strong security features
- No option to pay via cryptocurrencies
- Logs more data than we’d like
LIGHTNING FAST BROWSING:HideMyAss offers the ability to watch Chinese TV live, from anywhere, in the highest possible quality. It also includes powerful security options and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive HideMyAss review.
Internet restrictions in China
The Chinese government restricts access to a huge range of content. Although most VPNs will still allow you to access blocked websites while connected to a Chinese server, some might not. For this reason, we’ve created a short list of the kinds of sites and services that are blocked in China:
- Social media services (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Search engines (Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing)
- Messaging services (Signal, WhatsApp, Telegram)
- Most streaming services (Netflix, YouTube, BBC iPlayer)
- Information hubs (Wikipedia, Quora)
- Cloud-storage platforms (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive)
- Non-Chinese news (The Guardian, NY Times, CNN)
- Privacy or VPN-related sites (OpenVPN, Comparitech, Torproject)
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for a Chinese IP address
The Chinese government has been cracking down on VPNs for several years, which is why it’s so hard to find a provider with servers in the country. Still, there are still a few suitable VPNs. To make sure we only recommend the very best services, we created a strict list of requirements:
- Suitable servers: First, we need servers that can get you a Chinese IP address. These might be physically located in China, but will more likely be hosted elsewhere to avoid interference from the government.
- Excellent performance: We thoroughly speed test every service to ensure that they’re fast enough for streaming, torrenting, and general browsing. Their speeds have to be pretty consistent too, otherwise you’ll run into problems like lag or random connection drops.
- Powerful security tools: Our top VPNs have to offer a strong set of security and privacy features, including powerful encryption, leak protection, and a no-logs policy.
- High level of versatility: Ideally, services will offer specially-optimized servers for different tasks. Additionally, we’d rather they work with a wide range of Chinese streaming services including iQiYi, Youku, and Tencent Video.
Read our detailed explainer post to find out more about how we test VPNs at Comparitech.
Getting a Chinese IP address abroad: FAQs
Can I get a Chinese IP address with a free VPN?
It’ll be extremely difficult to obtain a Chinese IP address using a free VPN, simply because there are only a handful of services that still have servers in China. Even if you find a free VPN that does, it’s likely you’ll run into other issues like slow speeds, excessive lag, or an inability to unblock Chinese services.
Of course, there’s also the security risk that free VPNs pose. Prior research has shown that out of 200 free VPN apps, almost 40% contained malware. Worse still, almost one in five never used any encryption at all, meaning they offered their users no extra security whatsoever. We’ve also seen major VPN providers like Hola sell user bandwidth to help run a botnet, so unfortunately, these problems aren’t limited to smaller services.
Can I use a VPN to watch Chinese TV abroad?
Absolutely. Once connected to a Chinese VPN server, most Chinese streaming services won’t be able to tell that you’re actually somewhere else in the world. This means you’ll be able to watch content on all of your favorite platforms abroad.
Note that some services use more stringent methods of geo-blocking. For instance, a VPN won’t help if your payment method has to be linked to a local address, or if you have to provide identification as part of the registration.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream content illegally. Please consult local laws thoroughly before deciding to embark on this route. If you have any questions, it’s best to talk to a lawyer in your country of residence.