Trying to use Vevo from abroad? You may have found it is blocked outside the US. We’re going to explain how to unblock Vevo from anywhere with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and the best VPNs for the job.
Vevo is available in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada, but the largest library of content is in the US. If you try to access Vevo from a location outside of these countries, you’ll be greeted with the following message:
“OOPS! THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE IN YOUR REGION.”
If you’re on vacation out of the country or traveling abroad on business, these error messages can be incredibly frustrating. You may be in a geo-restricted country and be unable to watch your favorite Vevo content. But there is a solution. You can unblock Vevo and enjoy it the same way as you would at home by using a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, encrypts all of the internet traffic to and from your device. It is also capable of changing your IP address and spoofing your location, making it appear to Vevo that you are back home even when traveling abroad.
We provide plenty of details on each of the providers we feature, but in case you only have time for a quick summary, below is our list of the best VPNs for unblocking Vevo.
Best VPNs for Vevo:
- NordVPN Our top choice for a Vevo VPN. Fantastic server coverage within the US, UK, and Canada. No compromises on security and privacy. Apps are easy to use and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark The best budget VPN for Vevo. Thousands of US servers. Connect an unlimited number of simultaneous devices under one account.
- ExpressVPN Superfast servers in the US make for excellent Vivo streaming speeds from almost anywhere. Apps are private, secure, and user-friendly.
- CyberGhost Beginner-friendly choice with easy-to-use apps. Impressive speeds make for great value service.
- IPVanish Apps are great for use without a keyboard or mouse. Good speeds and strong security.
- ZenMate Made popular due to their successful chrome extension. No issues accessing Vevo but not the fastest on this list.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Vevo with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to watch your favorite content when on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to Unblock VEVO videos Outside US
If you’re outside of the US or other Vevo-friendly countries like the UK or Canada, you will need a VPN. Don’t worry, even if you’ve never used a VPN before, they are simple to set up.
Here’s how to unblock VEVO videos with a VPN:
- Sign up for one of the VPN providers mentioned in this list, we particularly recommend NordVPN to unblock Vevo.
- Once that’s done, download the apps for your phone or PC / Macbook directly from the site.
- Clear your cookies and cache to remove old location identifiers and restart your device.
- Login to the VPN app and select a server in the US, UK, or Canada
- Wait for a connection to be established – this is usually indicated by a green light in your taskbar or at the top of your smartphone screen
- Vevo is now unblocked! Open your phone or browser and use it like you normally would
The best VPNs for Vevo
In this section, we’ll take you through a list of the best VPNs that will work flawlessly with Vevo. We meticulously test each VPN to our strict criteria, applying the Comparitech methodology to every review. Providers are ranked on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- A large number of server locations in the US, UK, or Canada
- Strong encryption standards
- Ability to unblock restricted content
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
If you would like to know more about our rigorous product testing we explain it in more detail later in this article.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for accessing Vevo and other major streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. It checks all the boxes when it comes to a speedy VPN that has your privacy high on its list of priorities. It’s been around for over a decade and has built up a solid community of fans along the way.
NordVPN won’t record your data thanks to its strict no-logs policy. This means that it’s impossible for even system administrators to know which servers users are connecting to or what they’re doing on the web.
The company has over 5,000 servers worldwide and over 800 of these are located in the United States. Each server has fantastic connection speeds, and you can also pick one specifically for video streaming – ideal for enjoying streaming playlists on Vevo.
NordVPN’s choice of encryption standards is considered to be in the top-tier. It uses the 256-bit AES protocol by default coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is also enabled.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as for Windows and macOS. NordVPN allows up to 6 simultaneous connections on one account.
- A well-established veteran provider that works well with Vevo
- Good speeds for streaming video
- Operates over 1,600 servers in the US and 5,000+ worldwide
- Premium security features like AES encryption and DNS leak protection
- Can connect 6 devices at once on the basic package
- A strict no-logs policy that doesn’t store any data
- Can only select server locations, not specific servers
BEST VPN FOR VEVO:NordVPN is our #1 pick for unblocking Vevo. It comes with many features, including fast servers. Great privacy and security credentials with user-friendly apps on all platforms. A 30-day money back guarantee is included.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a fantastic budget-friendly option for unblocking Vevo. It allows unlimited simultaneous device connections, so you can share your subscription with friends and family. There are over 3,200 servers, with 500 servers across 20 major US cities, including; Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.
The app is compatible with most devices and is incredibly user-friendly. It works seamlessly on Windows, Linux, and macOS. The one-click connect function can unblock Vevo in just a few seconds. There are also many advanced features and tools for power users.
Your data is safe with Surfshark, as the company operates a strict no-logs policy. There is also 256-bit AES encryption, a network kill switch, and an undetectable camouflage mode. All you need is an email address to get started, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- An affordable option for the whole family
- Over 3,200 servers (500+ in the US), easy to get a US IP address
- Specialty streaming servers
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- User-friendly app available on most platforms
- Customer support could be better
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR VEVO:Surfshark supports unlimited connections, so is fantastic value for money. Great US server coverage and premium security and privacy features. A 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a popular choice for users because it delivers a fast, efficient service that’s secured with some of the toughest protocols in the industry. The app is also neatly designed and works with minimal fuss.
The company operates over 1,500 servers spread across 94 countries. There are 13 locations (not servers) in the US alone – that’s the highest number in an individual country, so it’ll be easy to find a rapid connection to stream Vevo.
ExpressVPN does not store any traffic logs so privacy is more or less guaranteed. There’s a tiny bit of metadata retention, specifically the date (not time) of connection, choice of server location, and total bandwidth used. Individual IP addresses are not logged.
The company headquarters are in the British Virgin Islands – hence why it’s out of the jurisdiction of agencies like the NSA and isn’t subjected to mandatory data retention laws.
ExpressVPN utilizes 256-bit AES-CBC as its default encryption protocol as well as both HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. There’s an internet kill switch included, which the company refers to as a ‘network lock’, – this will temporarily halt all web traffic if the connection drops unexpectedly.
There are apps for both Android and iOS, making it possible to stream Vevo directly on your phone outside the US. Desktop apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux are also included.
- Works flawlessly with Vevo from almost anywhere
- Operates super-fast servers in many locations
- Top-notch encryption, security, and privacy features are the default
- Easy to use apps for most platforms
- Limited advanced features for power-users
- More expensive than most other VPNs
FAST SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is a reliable choice. Great for unblocking Vevo. Premium security and privacy features and they keep no usage logs. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a reliable VPN provider which offers great value for money. It doesn’t have a huge server network that’s a hallmark of the earlier VPNs mentioned in this list but there are enough locations in the US, United Kingdom, and Canada to access Vevo.
The company doesn’t log user behavior and browsing habits. It’s also headquartered in Romania which means there aren’t any mandatory data retention laws to comply with. US server locations are plentiful at 168. Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop software for Windows and macOS.
There’s nothing wrong with the encryption standards it uses either. CyberGhost deploys 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. An internet kill switch is included.
- Good value service works great with Vevo
- Good server representation in the US
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Solid privacy features including kill-switch
- Won’t unblock as many streaming sites as others on this list
- Won’t work in China or UAE
GOOD FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Another affordable choice. Good for Vevo. High privacy and security standards. May struggle with some popular streaming sites. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is another premium VPN provider that supplies robust speeds and rigid encryption. Some users may be alarmed at the fact that it is headquartered in the US but the company won’t jeopardize your privacy. That’s because of their internal policy of zero data storage except for some minor details when an account is registered for the first time. The service also allows for anonymous sign-ups so you can work around this tiny irritant too if you’d like.
IPVanish is a good bet to stream video – most of its servers are optimized for speed, stability, and security. There’s a whopping 850 of them globally, with the US making up the biggest chunk at 350 on its own.
Encryption standards are excellent. It uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy.
There are apps for both iOS and Android as well as desktop software for Windows and macOS. Many users find it an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- Great speeds for Vevo
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- Over 350 US servers to choose from
- Works well with Kodi devices
- No live customer support
- Operates in US and is subject to US data retention laws
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is great for families and multiple connections. Unblocks Vevo but can’t unblock as many streaming services as rivals higher on this list. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 days
ZenMate is best known for its free Chrome VPN extension but there are a bunch of paid options too. These offer a larger network of servers, better encryption standards, and faster speeds. Included is a 14-day money-back guarantee so users can sign up and receive a full refund if they think the service isn’t up to their standards.
Premium packages unlock over 1,000 servers spread across 30+ countries and there’s a bunch of them located in the US.
The service uses 128-bit AES encryption in conjunction with 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA 256 for authentication. An internet kill switch is included. We feel these are adequate protocols to keep your data private and secure.
One troubling aspect is that the service did display some DNS leaks during our extensive testing. Automatic DNS leak protection isn’t included – even if you would like to pay extra. If you’re stuck and would like to speak to a customer service representative, then you’ll have to resort to email because there isn’t a live chat option yet.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS.
- Works fine with Vevo and can unblock other popular streaming sites
- Strong security features, including automatic kill-switch
- Easy to install and get started
- We got some DNS leaks during our testing
- No live chat support
- Faster options are higher on this list
EASY SET UP:ZenMate is easy to install. Great for Vevo and even unblocks Netflix in most regions. Not the fastest choice on this list. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ZenMate.
Methodology: How we find the best VPNs for Vevo
We have all been subject to geo-restrictions and error messages while traveling, and we understand how frustrating it can be. If you pay for a subscription, or typically enjoy unlimited access, it seems unfair to be limited while temporarily out of the country. Our methodology and testing process means that we identify the VPNs that are genuinely capable of unblocking Vevo. Each VPN provider is also evaluated using the below criteria:
- Servers in the US, Canada, or the UK: Without access to servers in these locations, unblocking Vevo would be impossible. We assess the number of servers and geographical coverage, ensuring that there is plenty of choice for users. VPNs with few servers can experience overloading and slow speeds, so we actively avoid them.
- Speeds: Fast speeds are imperative to uninterrupted streaming on Vevo. A huge part of our evaluation process is running speed tests and we only recommend the VPNs that score the highest.
- Privacy and security: You are likely to use public wifi on your travels, which can be very risky. We test each VPN and its security capabilities, expecting to see best-in-class encryption and a network kill switch at the very least.
- Apps: To be named one of the best VPNs for Vevo, a provider needs to have apps compatible with the most popular devices and operating systems. This should include Windows, Linux, macOS, IOS, and Android, amongst others.
- Value: Each VPN has its own subscription cost, and we evaluate whether or not these costs are justified. Criteria include what you get for your money, and whether or not there is a free trial or money-back guarantee.
This is just a snippet of our methodology and VPN testing criteria. There are many more aspects investigated before we recommend a VPN to our readers.
Should I use a free VPN?
Some users will be drawn to the abundant free VPNs that exist on the internet. These options allow for near-instantaneous signups and don’t usually ask you to provide credit card details. But there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Free VPN users are susceptible to weak encryption, pitiful speeds, and the threat of privacy invasion. These companies aren’t interested in putting out premium products. They want users to sign up in droves and then monetize by inundating them with popup advertisements and other unethical practices such as mining your data.
We think you should avoid such services. If you’re strapped for cash, check out our recommended list of the best VPNs with a free trial.
Some VPNs to avoid
If you’re trying to access Vevo from an unsupported location, it’s critical that your privacy is safeguarded. That’s also one of the core uses of a VPN – users want to sleep easy, assured that their digital footprint is mostly hidden.
The VPNs that we’ve recommended on this list have no documented history of nefarious acts, but not all companies operate with the same degree of principles and ethics. Here is an example of some VPN providers that have made life difficult for their users.
Israel-based Hola has a slightly different model to other VPN companies – preferring to piggyback on idle user bandwidth in a peer-to-peer system. At one point it had a sizable legion of loyal fans, totaling almost 50 million. But the company twisted this critical mass to its advantage – it created a massive botnet and used the sheer scale to attack other websites and distribute copyrighted content.
2. VPN 360
VPN 360 is another free VPN service that can be tempting to bargain hunters, but it’s not compatible with Vevo. This is because connecting to VPN 360 results in a 77% speed reduction. Such slow speeds will make streaming HD video on Vevo basically impossible.
Vevo VPN FAQ
What else can I do with a VPN?
This article is meant to show users how to safely access Vevo from anywhere in the world, but a paid subscription to a VPN will open up a wealth of other options too.
VPNs work by masking your identity and making the host website assume you’re located somewhere else. By choosing a server in the United States, all websites you visit will believe you’re physically there. This means a bunch of other geo-restricted content will now also be available while away from home – such as Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and ESPN.
Other than unlocking streaming media, a VPN is generally considered to be suitable even for everyday use. It’s possible that your online behavior could be closely monitored by your ISP or a government surveillance agency. VPNs can mitigate these risks to a large degree and, at the very least, make it extremely difficult for your private data to become public.
How can I download Vevo Videos?
Downloading videos from Vevo is made simple thanks to video downloading software. In most cases, it’s as easy as inserting the video URL and clicking extract. This way you can enjoy all of your favorite videos and music offline without subscribing to any premium plans.