TVPlayer lets you watch live British TV online for free. Supported channels include BBC One, BBC Two, and Channel 5. Paid subscriptions are also available, providing access to channels including Comedy Central, MTV, and Sky History. Unfortunately, TVPlayer is geo-blocked outside the UK. Indeed, if you try to watch its content abroad, you’ll encounter the following message: “Sorry. TVPlayer is currently only available in the United Kingdom.” For this reason, you’ll need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to continue watching TVPlayer online while traveling abroad.
As the name suggests, a VPN creates a kind of private network between your device and its servers. Once connected, all of your internet traffic is encrypted, hiding your activities from snoopers and providing you with greater online anonymity. Further, because VPNs provide you a temporary IP address, they can make it look as if you’re browsing from another location. As such, many people use VPNs in order to access content that would otherwise be unavailable or “geo-restricted” in their country, such as TVPlayer.
How to watch TVPlayer online from anywhere with a VPN
If it’s your first time using a VPN, you may be a little apprehensive. Many people think that these services require a great deal of technical expertise but this couldn’t be further from the truth! In fact, all you need to do is follow the quick and easy step-by-step instructions below:
Here’s how to watch TVPlayer online from anywhere using a VPN:
- The first step is to sign up with a VPN provider that offers servers in the UK and unblocks TVPlayer. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, you’ll be able to download and install your new VPN on your streaming device. Indeed, all of the VPNs listed allow at least five simultaneous connections.
- Open the VPN app and navigate to the server list. You’ll want to connect to a server in the UK. Doing so provides you with a UK IP address for unblocking TVPlayer.
- Go to TVPlayer (via the website or TVPlayer app) and select your preferred live or on-demand content. This should now play without geographic restrictions.
- Still blocked? Be sure to clear your browser’s cache and cookies. Otherwise, try connecting to another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for TVPlayer with no restrictions for a month -- perfect if you’re going on vacation and want to test it out for yourself.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
So how do we go about choosing the best VPNs for watching TVPlayer from overseas? You can find out more about our methodology towards the end of this post. In the meantime, here’s a summary of some of the key criteria we looked out for:
- Servers in the UK that unblock TVPlayer
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- High level of security with encryption and a kill switch
- No-logs policy so you can stay anonymous
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk-free
We’ve reviewed the seven best VPNs for TVPlayer so you can find one that best fits your needs. Don’t have time to read the full reviews? Below there is a brief overview of each.
Best VPNs TVPlayer:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for TVPlayer. 400+ UK servers. Fast server speeds for streaming TVPlayer, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and more. No-logs service with 24/7 support. Provides a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Servers in multiple UK cities for unblocking TVPlayer. Fastest VPN for lag-free streaming. Unlimited simultaneous connections and Double VPN servers.
- ExpressVPN: 3,000 servers in 94 countries including the UK. Works with TVPlayer, Netflix, and more. Fast speeds and strong security with encryption. Excellent 24/7 support.
- CyberGhost: Over 7,000 servers in 90 countries. Unthrottled UK servers for TVPlayer and Sky Go. Use on seven devices simultaneously. Includes a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Good speeds for streaming TVPlayer in HD. Keeps you safe with encryption and a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast servers for streaming. Strong unblocking — works with TVPlayer, Netflix, and ITV Hub. Beginner-friendly apps and accepts payment in Bitcoin.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries, the UK included. Watch TVPlayer and Amazon Prime from anywhere. Includes 24/7 support and a password manager.
Best VPNs to watch TVPlayer online from anywhere
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for TVPlayer:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our #1 recommendation for watching TVPlayer. It stands out for offering an impressive 400+ servers in the UK. However, this is just a small part of its large network of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries. Aside from successfully unblocking TVPlayer, this top-ranked VPN service works with the likes of BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Netflix. Thanks to fast server speeds (an average download speed of 115 Mbps in our tests) and unlimited bandwidth, you can use NordVPN to stream lag and buffering-free.
While there are plenty of standard VPN servers to choose from, you’ll also find NordVPN provides specialty servers. This includes those optimized for P2P traffic while Double VPN and Onion Over VPN provide an extra layer of privacy. NordVPN’s security is equally impressive and includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This no-logs service even recently introduced NordPass, its own password manager. If you need any help, 24/7 live chat and email support are available.
Secure up to six of your devices simultaneously via NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You’ll also find Chrome and Firefox browser extensions although use with routers requires manual setup.
- Over 400 servers in the UK for streaming TVPlayer
- Very fast server speeds so you won’t suffer lag or buffering
- Unblock BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and more
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Comprehensive security thanks to encryption and a no-logs policy
- Extras include specialty servers as well as a password manager
- Fairly expensive if you choose the 1-month plan
BEST VPN FOR TVPlayer:NordVPN is our top recommendation for watching TVPlayer online from anywhere. 5,000 servers in 60 countries (400+ in the UK). Very fast speeds and strong security with a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 support included. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has quickly become one of the largest VPN providers on the market. Since it was established in 2018, its network has grown to some 3,000 servers strong. These are located across 65 countries. You can find Surfshark servers in London, Manchester, and Glasgow. Needless to say, this makes it easy to unblock and stream TVPlayer. Notably, this VPN also unblocks more than 30 different Netflix libraries. It also happens to be the fastest VPN we’ve tested, averaging 207 Mbps on a 1 Gbps connection.
Live chat and email support are available 24 hours a day. If you have multiple devices to secure, you’ll appreciate Surfshark’s offer of unlimited simultaneous connections (most VPNs allow just five or six). All of your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. To protect your privacy, Surfshark operates a strict no-logs policy while its CleanWeb feature blocks ads, trackers, and malware.
Connect all of your devices by using Surfshark’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. If you prefer, you can use browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. It’s also compatible with select wifi routers after manual configuration.
- Fastest VPN we’ve tested — perfect for streaming TVPlayer
- Lets you connect all of your devices simultaneously
- Unblocks over 30 different Netflix libraries
- MultiHop (Double VPN) servers for extra security
- Reliable 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Occasionally slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers particularly good value for money because it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Fastest VPN we’ve tested. Works with TVPlayer, Netflix, and more. Double VPN servers available. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for unblocking content while traveling abroad. That’s because it has some 3,000 servers in 94 countries — more countries than any other VPN listed. Its UK servers are spread across multiple London locations. As one of the fastest VPNs on this list, ExpressVPN is ideal for both streaming and torrenting. You’ll be able to stream TVPlayer and Netflix while traveling abroad without having to worry about poor performance.
This is one of the easiest VPNs you can use, thanks to the beginner-friendly apps and presence of 24/7 live chat and email support. In fact, this is arguably the best VPN to use with a router because it provides an auto-update feature and a newly-improved interactive router setup guide. ExpressVPN’s security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Note that this VPN also doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
You can use ExpressVPN on up to five devices at once. Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox while custom firmware is available for routers.
- Network covers 94 countries including the UK
- High-speed connections for streaming TVPlayer abroad
- Beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 support
- Strong security with features including encryption and kill switch
- Particularly easy to use with routers (custom firmware available)
- Slightly more expensive than most VPNs listed
SPEED AND SECURITY:ExpressVPN is very much a strong all-rounder. Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, the UK included. Reliably unblocks TVPlayer as well as Netflix. Secures data with high-end encryption. 24/7 live chat and email support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost stands out for offering as many as 7,000 servers around the world. In fact, over 600 of these can be found in Berkshire, London, and Manchester. As such, you’ll easily find a low-load server for unblocking and streaming TVPlayer. Better still, there shouldn’t be any noticeable lag or buffering because this VPN provides unlimited bandwidth. It’s worth knowing that CyberGhost even works with Netflix US and is fast enough for you to stream in full HD and 4K (base speeds permitting).
Another advantage of using CyberGhost is that you can secure up to seven devices at the same time. Additionally, its apps come with a whole host of security features; aside from 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch, this VPN has a strict no-logs policy. More recently, it has released its Security Suite for Windows and its own password manager which is currently in beta testing. If you need any assistance, 24/7 support is available via live chat and email.
CyberGhost users can install apps for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. You can even manually install this VPN on your wireless router.
- 7,000+ servers worldwide and approximately 600 in the UK
- No bandwidth throttling so you can stream TVPlayer unrestricted
- Lets you connect as many as seven devices at once
- Contact live chat support 24 hours a day
- Offers a password manager (currently in beta)
- Like many VPNs, it doesn’t work in China
600+ UK SERVERS:CyberGhost has more than 7,000 servers in 90 countries, over 600 of which are in the UK, meaning it’s ideal for unblocking TVPlayer. Unlimited bandwidth and 24/7 support. Can be used on up to seven devices at once. Password manager in beta. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is ideal if you’re planning on sharing your VPN with family. That’s because it lets you connect as many devices as you like simultaneously. With well over 100 servers across London, Manchester, Birmingham, and Glasgow, it’s well placed to unblock UK websites and services, be it TVPlayer, ITV Hub, or Sky Go. You can expect speedy, reliable connections thanks to IPVanish’s newly-upgraded network and total lack of bandwidth throttling.
An IPVanish account includes 24/7 live chat and email support. There’s no shortage of security features either, with 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection enabled by default. Should the VPN connection drop, a kill switch immediately cuts your internet traffic, preventing data from being exposed. IPVanish has a zero-logs policy which means that not even it knows what you’re doing online. It also owns and operates its hardware, reducing the risk of interference from third parties.
Connect to a server in the UK and unblock TVPlayer with the IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. IPVanish provides manual setup instructions if you’d like to use its VPN with Linux or a compatible router.
- Share with family — unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unblock UK TV streaming services including TVPlayer and ITV Hub
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Operates a zero-logs policy so your data stays private
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
- Operates out of the US (a Five Eyes member)
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Good speeds for streaming TVPlayer without interruption. Also works with Netflix US. Provides 24/7 support while security includes a zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has just expanded its server network, which now covers 63 countries at the time of writing. This includes servers in the UK in the cities of London and Manchester. We tested this VPN’s speeds and achieved an average global download speed of 71 Mbps. Add to this its offer of unlimited bandwidth and you’ve got a VPN capable of streaming in the highest quality. In fact, PrivateVPN unblocks many popular services including TVPlayer and Netflix.
Once connected to a PrivateVPN server, you’re protected from a wide range of security threats. That’s because all data is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. Also included is a kill switch and protection from DNS leaks. With this VPN, you can sign up anonymously by using a burner email and by paying in Bitcoin. Note that a subscription also includes access to live chat and email support as well as free remote help and installation.
To unblock TVPlayer, connect to a PrivateVPN app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, or Android TV. While this VPN is compatible with Linux and select wireless routers, manual setup is required.
- High-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth
- Strong unblocking — works with TVPlayer and Netflix UK
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Keeps you safe online with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Just 200 servers worldwide
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN provides easy-to-use apps and live chat and email support. Fast, unthrottled connections for streaming TVPlayer, BBC iPlayer, and more. Strict no-logs policy protects privacy. Option to pay in Bitcoin. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield is a highly secure service that also happens to be a great choice for streaming. With servers in 80+ countries including the UK, you can use it to access the likes of TVPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu from abroad. You’ll find speeds to be more than fast enough for streaming, plus Hotspot Shield also allows torrenting. With a single account, you can secure five of your devices at the same time.
Although Hotspot Shield is very easy to use (connecting to a server via its apps takes only a few seconds), you’ll find live chat and email support around the clock. Security-wise, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Notably, Hotspot Shield plans now include a number of extra security features including a password manager, spam call blocker, and antivirus. This means you’ll have more comprehensive protection while online.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV and a Chrome browser extension although use with routers means manual setup is needed.
- Servers in 80 countries including the UK and US
- Works with TVPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Includes live chat and email support around the clock
- Lots of extra security features including a password manager
- Some past privacy concerns
- No option to pay in cryptocurrency
HIGHLY SECURE:Hotspot Shield has servers in 80 countries for unblocking content worldwide. This includes TVPlayer and Hulu. 24/7 support available. Packed with security features including a password manager and antivirus. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for watching TVPlayer online
We know that you’re looking for a VPN with servers in the UK that successfully unblock TVPlayer from abroad. This was a great starting point in our search! However, there’s much more to a VPN than its unblocking ability. We also have to consider server speed and level of security. Below, we outline our methodology for finding the best VPNs for TVPlayer.
- Servers in the UK: For a VPN to work with TVPlayer, it must provide servers in the UK. That’s because TVPlayer is region-locked and can’t normally be accessed from anywhere else. With a VPN, you should only have to connect to a UK server, get a UK IP address, and the content should be available.
- Speed: We’ve found the fastest VPNs by testing them for ourselves. No matter which of the seven best VPNs for TVPlayer you choose, you can be sure you’ll have fast, unthrottled connections for streaming without lag or buffering. In all cases, you’ll be able to stream in 1080p HD while some are fast enough to support 4K.
- Network size: There may be times when you want to access websites and services from other countries. This is where a large server network comes in handy. Most of the VPNs listed in this post provide thousands of servers while all have a presence across dozens of countries.
- Security: A VPN should create a secure connection between your device and the websites you visit. At a minimum, it should use high-end encryption and prevent leaks with the use of a kill switch. In some cases, you’ll even find Double VPN servers which serve to encrypt your data twice for an extra layer of security.
- Privacy: Don’t want anyone and everyone knowing what you’re doing online? We’ve analyzed some 140 VPN logging policies to find those that best protect your privacy. Aside from a strict no-logs policy, some VPNs even let you sign up and pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Ease of use: A VPN needn’t be complicated. You should be able to expect beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 live chat and email support. Connecting to a server or adjusting your seconds shouldn’t take more than a few seconds so that you can concentrate on watching your favorite content on TVPlayer online!
- Value for money: While some VPNs claim to offer much of the above, they’re far too expensive. There’s a lot of competition in the VPN market which means there are some great deals to be found. In fact, you can save even more if you take advantage of our VPN discount coupons for the VPN services in this post.
Looking for a VPN to meet the above criteria is just the start. In fact, our VPN testing methodology dictates that we rigorously test each VPN ourselves. That way, we can be sure that what we’re telling you is factually correct so you can better decide which VPN is right for your browsing and streaming needs.
TVPlayer VPN FAQ
Can I use a free VPN to watch TVPlayer abroad?
Free VPNs aren’t the most reliable options for unblocking geo-restricted content. With so many people using them, IP addresses are quickly identified as belonging to a VPN and are blacklisted as a result. The heavy load on each server means you’ll also experience slow speeds, which may mean low-resolution streams as well as a lot of lag and buffering. Aside from TVPlayer, most free VPNs also struggle with Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Another reason to avoid free VPNs is their lack of security. In some cases, your data won’t be properly encrypted, leaving it vulnerable to hackers and snoopers. In general, it’s important to exercise some caution with free services. After all, free VPNs aren’t offering their services out of the goodness of their hearts! In some cases, they make money through advertising. In others, your browsing data may be logged and sold to third parties.
What can I watch on TVPlayer?
With TVPlayer, you have access to a variety of free and paid TV channels. Unfortunately, TVPlayer announced in June 2021 that this would no longer include ITV or Channel 4 channels. However, it does include the following: