We’ll walk you through how to get US Netflix in Canada using a VPN and show you which VPNs to use (as not all will work).
How to Unblock Netflix US in Canada
The process is quite simple and easy to set up, here is how to get American Netflix in Canada:
- First, you’ll need a VPN that isn’t blocked by US Netflix. Our first choice is NordVPN but Surfshark and ExpressVPN are two low-cost alternatives.
- Install the VPN software on the devices you want to watch Netflix on. All of the VPNs in this article are compatible with popular devices and operating systems.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s US servers. Not all servers will be primed to unblock US Netflix so you may need to try a few or ask customer support.
- Connect to US Netflix and enjoy a wider range of shows.
We’ll cover individual VPNs in detail later in this article, but if you only have time for a quick glance below is our list of the best VPNs to unblock American Netflix in Canada.
Best VPNs to get American Netflix in Canada:
- NordVPN Our #1 Choice for Netflix! Stands high above the rest of the pack in terms of reliably unblocking various Netflix catalogs. Servers are fast and secure. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark A reliable streaming VPN that respects user privacy and doesn’t break the bank. Allows unlimited connections and works great with Netflix.
- ExpressVPN This speedy VPN unblocks plenty of Netflix libraries and comes packed with strong security tools.
- CyberGhost Apps are easy to install and get started with. We were impressed with their streaming speeds.
- IPVanish Allows up to 10 devices to be connected simultaneously – great for families. Fast Servers are good for streaming video.
- PrivateVPN Good at Unblocking streaming servers but has fewer servers than competitors.
A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, encrypts all of the data sent to and from your device over the internet and re-routes it through an intermediary server in a location of your choosing. To unblock US Netflix from Canada, you just need to connect to a VPN server in the US, then open the Netflix app or website.
Best VPNs to watch US Netflix in Canada
Not every VPN can unblock Netflix US. Netflix blocks most VPN connections, because they already know the VPN IP address or the DNS server you are using, resulting in a proxy error like this:
Only a few VPN providers can reliably bypass the Netflix firewall. We’ve selected our top five based on the following criteria:
- Can unblock US Netflix from abroad
- Pegs fast speeds for high-quality, uninterrupted video
- Uses strong security and keeps no logs
- Provides quick, competent customer support
- Offers a money-back guarantee
Based on these criteria, below are the best VPNs to get American Netflix in Canada.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a veteran provider that makes it easy to watch US Netflix from Canada. With a global network of more than 5,000 servers, your best bet of finding a server that unblocks US Netflix is to go to the NordVPN knowledge base. There you can search for Netflix (or several other streaming services) to find a support page that lists the Netflix-compatible servers. NordVPN can also access Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer from abroad, among others. Thanks to its industry-leading speeds, you’ll be able to stream free from any noticeable lag or buffering.
NordVPN adheres to a strict no-logs policy and uses strong encryption, so your privacy is ensured. The apps include leak protection and a kill switch.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. You may connect up to six devices at one time on a normal plan.
- Faster than any other major VPN
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- Well priced veteran provider
- Desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
The Best VPN FOR US NETFLIX:NordVPN is our first choice for streaming US Netflix. It’s exceptionally fast, prioritizes your security, and even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a fast, versatile VPN that makes it easy to watch Netflix US from abroad. In fact, it even unblocks Netflix UK and Japan. There’s very little trial and error required since if a server can’t unblock a particular library, it’ll just redirect you to Netflix US instead. Surfshark has high enough speeds for HD streaming, and perhaps even for 4K if your connection is fast enough.
This VPN doesn’t log any information that could see you personally identified. IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection are included, as is 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch (in every version of the app).
Surfshark has apps for Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
- Easily unblocks Netflix US abroad
- No connection limit
- Generally fast enough for HD streaming
- Strong commitment to your privacy and security
- Good multi-platform support
- Relatively small (but expanding) network
- Our testing revealed the occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that makes it simple to unblock Netflix as any server works with the service. Plus there’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN reliably unblocks Netflix Canada on a desktop browser and the Netflix mobile apps for iOS and Android. Not all servers will work, though, so shoot a quick message to ExpressVPN’s live customer support on the website to ask which servers to use.
Both east coast and west coast servers are available for Netflix unblocking. Speed is fast and stable, so you should be able to stream US Netflix from Canada in high quality without buffering. ExpressVPN also unblocks Netflix Canada, Netflix UK, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
This provider boasts top-of-the-line encryption, a no-logs policy, and robust data leak prevention, including a kill switch. You may connect up to three devices at the same time on a single plan.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and certain wifi routers. It even works with Apple TV!
- Unblocks major streaming sites, e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Optimized for high-speed connections
- Solid privacy and security
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Slightly more expensive than some other options
- Doesn’t provide much control over advanced functionality
SPEEDY AND VERSATILE:ExpressVPN holds its own. A fast and reliable choice that confidently unblocks all major streaming services with ease including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC and others. Great privacy features and a strict no-logging policy.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it very easy to unblock US Netflix on both mobile devices and desktop. Instead of looking up which servers work on a website or asking customer service, you just select the streaming option in the app. From there, you can choose from a list of unblock-able streaming services from all over the world, including Netflix.
CyberGhost lets you choose a server based on what you want to unblock, not just based on location. It’s one of the faster VPNs we’ve tested, so you should be able to stream buffering-free in high quality. If the server you’re connected to has been blocked by Netflix, a simple “thumbs up, thumbs down” button lets you give instant feedback.
CyberGhost recently earned the top score in our security and privacy assessment. You can connect up to five devices at a time.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Great value low-cost provider
- Fast, reliable service
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
- Less reliable in places like the UAE
Easy-to-use apps:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Another affordable choice. Good on privacy. Streams HD video reliably. Good for Netflix but can struggle with some other streaming sites. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is quite possibly the fastest VPN on the market, and it recently reinstated US Netflix unblocking for both the mobile app and desktop browser. Not all servers unblock Netflix, but the 24/7 live chat support makes it quick and painless to find out. Subscribers should be able to stream in HD without buffering, and maybe even Ultra HD.
You can connect any number of devices on a single account, more than with any other provider on this list. You’ll also get top-notch encryption, a no-logs policy, leak protection, and a kill switch to keep your connection secure.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Operates a network of more than 1,300 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Connect any number of devices at the same time
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu – need to check with chat support for the latest reliable servers
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Generally solid for torrenters, P2P & Kodi users. Adhere to the highest standard of privacy, will probably need to try server switching to unblock Netflix. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a relative newcomer in the VPN industry, but that hasn’t held it back from emerging as a top choice for cord-cutters. Despite its relatively small server network, PrivateVPN unblocks just about everything we’ve tested it against. Plus it’s fast, so you can stream in HD without buffering. PrivateVPN couldn’t make unblocking American Netflix any easier, as the server locations that unblock it are clearly labeled in the app.
This provider boasts a no-logs policy and strong encryption. Connections are leak-proof and can optionally be protected with a kill switch that cuts off all internet access should the VPN connection drop.
You can connect up to six devices at a time with the basic plan. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Unblocks a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- New up-and-coming expanding network
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks US Netflix and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Can I use a free VPN to get American Netflix in Canada?
Free VPNs simply don’t have the resources to outmaneuver Netflix’s anti-VPN firewall. We know of no free VPN that can reliably access Netflix without triggering the proxy error. Even if you found one that works, chances are it will be blocked soon.
In any case, free VPNs tend to be congested with too many internet users, resulting in slow speed. That means low-quality video streaming and a lot of buffering. Many free VPNs implement data caps and bandwidth limits, further inhibiting your ability to stream video.
Finally, many free VPNs don’t offer the same privacy and security as their paid counterparts. To make money, free VPN providers frequently collect and sell data about your usage history and what you do while connected to their service. They may even hijack your web browser or install malware on your device.
In short, avoid free VPNs.
Netflix Canada vs Netflix US
Netflix Canada’s catalog has made significant headway in catching up to its American counterpart in recent years, but some movies and TV series haven’t made their way up north quite yet. By some counts, US Netflix has about 200 more titles in total. They include:
- American Horror Story
- Sons of Anarchy
- Parks and Recreation
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- … and many more.
Generally speaking, Netflix US seems to have more Hollywood content, while the Canadian version has more international stuff.
How to watch American Netflix in Canada FAQ
⭐How can I switch back to Candian content on Netflix?
Netflix changes its content based on your IP address, which means that you can access other country’s libraries simply by connecting to a VPN. The reverse of this is also true, though: if you’d like to see your regular Netflix content again, all you have to do is disconnect from the VPN and refresh the page. If you’re still seeing Netflix USA despite being in Canada, you may also have to clear your browser’s cookies.
⭐How to Get American Netflix using Smart DNS?
Essentially, Smart DNS services allow you to spoof your location without the need for an app. Instead, you just have to change some of your network settings. To begin, get your provider’s Smart DNS details, navigate to your device’s network settings, and simply change the primary and secondary DNS servers to the Smart DNS address. The exact location of network settings will vary for each device but here’s where you’ll find them on the most popular platforms:
- Windows 10: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings
- MacOS: System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS
⭐Will my Canadian Netflix account be banned if I use a VPN?
VPNs are primarily privacy tools and plenty of people leave them on all the time when browsing. Further, it’s not against the law to access geo-restricted content from abroad, so there’s no need to worry about having your account banned. In fact, the worst that will happen if Netflix detects you’re using a VPN is that you’ll only see your home country’s content library.
- How to Unblock Netflix US in Canada
- Best VPNs to watch US Netflix in Canada
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- Can I use a free VPN to get American Netflix in Canada?
- Netflix Canada vs Netflix US
- How to watch American Netflix in Canada FAQ
- How can I switch back to Candian content on Netflix?
- How to Get American Netflix using Smart DNS?
- Will my Canadian Netflix account be banned if I use a VPN?