Whether you’re struggling with Turkey’s internet censorship or trying to access Turkish websites and services from abroad, a VPN is the easiest way to get a Turkish IP address. A VPN is a “Virtual Private Network”. It redirects your internet traffic through a VPN server, encrypting the information in the process. This allows you to browse the web anonymously while being able to unblock region-locked content.
How to get a Turkey IP address
You can get a Turkish IP address today by following these quick and easy steps.
Here’s how to use a VPN to get an IP address for Turkey
- Sign up with a VPN with servers in Turkey. We particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install a VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Clear your cookies so that the website or service you want to access forgets your true IP address and location.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Turkey. If you’re in Turkey and want to access content that is blocked in the country, you’ll need to choose a server in another country.
- The region-locked content should now be unblocked! If not, be sure to try another server or contact the customer support of your VPN.
GET A PAID VPN FREE: If you only need a VPN for a short period (maybe you’re going abroad on vacation), you can take advantage of ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. Although you do have to pay upfront, you can cancel at any point during this period to claim a full refund, effectively giving you free VPN coverage for up to a month.
We’ll cover each provider in depth further below. However, if you don’t want to have to read the whole article, here’s our short summary list of the best VPNs for getting a Turkey IP address:
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 choice for getting a Turkish IP address! Simply the best VPN for an IP address for Turkey. Fast, easy-to-use, and offers 24/7 support. Highly secure with encryption.
- NordVPN: Great value VPN for Turkey. 18 servers in Turkey and 5,700 globally. Offers 24/7 support and six simultaneous connections. Strict no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: A smaller VPN provider offering excellent speed for streaming Turkish TV. Unblocks Netflix. Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile.
- Surfshark: Unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks geo-restricted websites in Turkey. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps. Strict no-logs policy.
- VyprVPN: A no-logs VPN with servers in dozens of countries, including Turkey. Offers 24/7 live chat support and unblocks Netflix. Plenty of security features.
The Turkish government has banned many VPNs in an attempt to prevent its population from accessing banned sites and services. We’ve reached out to many different VPN providers to find out which are still working in Turkey, despite the blocks.
In order to be selected, each VPN had to meet the following criteria:
- VPN is not blocked in Turkey
- Has a global network of servers, including in Turkey
- Connections that are fast and consistent
- Strong security features such as encryption
- A no-logs policy to protect your privacy
- Fast and efficient customer support
- Availability of desktop and mobile apps
The best VPNs to get a Turkey IP address
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting a Turkish IP address:
ExpressVPN is your best bet if you want to get a Turkey IP address. While many VPNs have been banned in Turkey, ExpressVPN has avoided such problems. This is the best VPN for unblocking geo-restricted content around the world since it has over 3,000 servers across 94 countries, including Turkey. With ExpressVPN, you’ll be able to unblock all sorts of popular streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
Not only is ExpressVPN excellent at unblocking restricted websites and services, but it’s also very fast. We were able to stream HD videos without any buffering or lag. For the most part, servers are extremely reliable, more so than most VPNs we’ve tested (the service guarantees 99.9% uptime). ExpressVPN also offers excellent live chat support. It’s worth noting that the VPN apps are very easy to use and the browser extensions add to the high level of convenience.
ExpressVPN encrypts your internet traffic with 256-bit AES encryption. It also offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and split tunneling which lets you pick and choose which devices or apps are routed via the VPN. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN isn’t subject to data retention laws and doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. Indeed, the seizing of an ExpressVPN server by Turkish authorities in 2017 didn’t reveal any useful information, verifying the no-logs policy of ExpressVPN.
You can download ExpressVPN apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, and routers. If you have a games console or smart TV, ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer can be used. ExpressVPN also offers browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Consistently available in Turkey
- Unblocks most geo-restricted content including Netflix
- Fast and stable connections
- Excellent live chat support
- Offers a high level of security
- Well-designed apps for a variety of operating systems
- Not the cheapest of VPNs
BEST VPN FOR TURKEY: It has fast servers and unblocks most geo-blocked websites and services. Excellent user-friendly apps, friendly 24/7 support, and strong security with encryption. Try it out risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN has 10 servers in Turkey and more than 5,700 servers worldwide across 60 countries. Having such a large network means you should always be able to find a suitably fast server. NordVPN is one of the few VPNs that has consistently continued to work in Turkey. Aside from having a high number of servers, NordVPN is known to offer high-quality connections that are fast and stable. Indeed, this is a great VPN for unblocking Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, to name a few streaming services.
The NordVPN apps are well designed and easy for anyone to use. Selecting a server is simple. Servers are listed by country and then prioritized by server load while you also have the option of favoriting servers. NordVPN doesn’t compromise on security and offers what it calls “military-grade encryption” (256-bit AES), an automatic kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Specialty servers include Double VPN, which encrypts your internet traffic twice for an extra layer of security. With NordVPN, your data is not tracked or collected since it has a strict no-logs policy.
If you choose NordVPN, you can download apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Linux, and even Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. However, compatible routers require manual setup.
- Plenty of servers in Turkey and around the world
- Fast servers and stable connections
- Unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime, and more
- Strong security including encryption and a no-logs policy
- Offers user-friendly apps and browser extensions
- No app for routers which have to be configured manually
GREAT VALUE: It has a vast network of more than 5,700 servers, 10 of which are in Turkey. Unblocks most popular streaming services. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. Allows six simultaneous connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is a Sweden-based VPN that offers very fast speeds, making it ideal for online streaming. Able to unblock everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video, PrivateVPN is well worth considering. While this is a smaller VPN service, PrivateVPN does have servers in 60 countries at the time of writing. This includes Istanbul, Turkey. Unlimited bandwidth means you’re unlikely to encounter buffering when streaming.
This is a particularly good value VPN service because it lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously. If you’re new to using a VPN, you may well appreciate PrivateVPN’s user-friendly apps. We particularly like the availability of simple and advanced menus, adding some flexibility. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a built-in kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. PrivateVPN has a no-logs policy and states it doesn’t know what its users do online.
PrivateVPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for Linux and routers.
- Fast speeds make it ideal for online streaming
- Unblocks Netflix and other popular streaming services
- Use it on up to six devices simultaneously
- Secure with a no-logs policy
- No apps for Linux and routers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
geo-restricted content such as Netflix. Use this VPN on up to six devices simultaneously. Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark is a great choice for families because it allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Aside from servers in Turkey, it has a server presence in dozens of countries, including the US, UK, and Australia. That means you can use it to unblock region-locked content from almost anywhere. This includes Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Indeed, Surfshark offers good speeds for streaming without interruption.
It’s easy to connect to a server in Turkey thanks to Surfshark’s excellent apps and browser extensions. Should you encounter any issues, this VPN offers 24/7 live chat support. What’s more, it even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and operates a strict no-logs policy. Further security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch.
You can download Surfshark apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. Manual configuration is required for use with Linux and routers.
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Unblock websites and services in over 50 countries, Turkey included
- Easy-to-use apps and browser extensions for beginners
- High level of security thanks to encryption and a no-logs policy
- Smaller network of 800 servers
- Some servers can be a little slow
UNLIMITED SIMULTANEOUS CONNECTIONS: and lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Offers 24/7 support and user-friendly apps. Protects your privacy with encryption and no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
VyprVPN is a VPN that still works in Turkey, despite the various VPN blocks. It has just over 700 servers worldwide, including in Istanbul, Turkey. In our testing of VyprVPN, we’ve found it to be fast and reliable. We were able to stream HD content on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without interruption. VyprVPN positions itself as a VPN that doesn’t set limits on speed (no throttling), bandwidth, and server switching.
This is a VPN service that offers 24/7 live chat customer support. In terms of security, VyprVPN is based in Switzerland and owns and manages its own servers, meaning third parties aren’t hosting your data. VyprVPN has been independently audited to prove that it keeps no logs. It also offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch that blocks your connection should VyprVPN be disconnected. This prevents your personal data from being exposed.
You can use VyprVPN on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and select routers. Linux requires manual setup.
- Servers in dozens of countries, including Turkey
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switching
- 24/7 live chat support
- Audited to prove it keeps no logs
- No app for Linux
- Not as cheap as some other VPNs on the market
STRONG SECURITY: with strong security features. It offers good speeds for browsing and streaming. Unblocks Netflix and provides 24/7 live chat support. Audited to prove it doesn’t keep any logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
Save 69% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address for Turkey?
No, it’s unlikely a free VPN will work in Turkey since the Turkish government has been cracking down on VPNs. Free VPNs often attract the most attention in such cases, due to the high number of users trying to access the same servers. For this reason, very few free VPNs actually work in Turkey.
Even those select few free VPNs that do work in Turkey tend to suffer from other issues. In particular, free VPNs offer inferior performance. This is due to the high number of users using the services and the bandwidth limits that are set as a result. If you’re in Turkey and looking to watch US Netflix, for example, you can expect a lot of buffering and lag with a free VPN, which can be very frustrating.
Apart from the fact that they don’t often perform well, many free VPNs are unable to unblock popular geo-restricted sites and services. Many sites such as Netflix have implemented anti-VPN measures that free VPNs are usually unable to navigate. The best paid VPNs consistently find ways around such obstacles.
Last but not least, free VPNs are not a good idea in Turkey because they’re not as secure. Turkey has a high level of internet censorship and free VPNs lack security features such as encryption and a kill switch. Thus, your data may be leaked to your ISP. Worse still, some free VPNs actually infect your device with malware while some even sell your data to third parties. Overall, they’re just not worth the risk.
Why do I need a VPN for Turkey?
You need a VPN in Turkey because it’s a country with a high level of internet censorship. Freedom on the Net by Freedom House rated Turkey “Not Free” with a score of 66/100 (0 being the best and 100 being the worst). Freedom House went on to describe Turkey’s internet freedom as “highly restricted” due to self-censorship, blocking of news sites and arrests for those who criticized President Erdoğan.
A VPN can help you unblock websites in Turkey. This includes Wikipedia, which was blocked in Turkey in April 2017. Other blocked sites include image-sharing site Imgur as well as most adult content. The likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Skype and WhatsApp have all experienced blocks at some point in time. Censorship often occurs during periods of political unrest such as the failed coup attempt in 2016.
While a VPN for Turkey can allow you to access government-censored content in the country, it can also unblock geo-restricted content. Not only can a quality VPN help you unblock blocked and geo-restricted websites, apps and services, it can also protect your privacy, preventing your ISP (and potentially the Turkish government) from seeing what you’re doing online.
How can I watch Turkish TV abroad with a VPN?
If you want to watch Turkish TV abroad, all you have to do is open your VPN app or browser extension and select a server in Turkey. Once connected, any geo-restricted content from Turkey should be unblocked. If not, don’t worry. You may need to clear your browser’s cookies for the changes to take effect. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.
Using a Turkish server means you’ll be able to watch content from Turkish TV channels abroad including ATV, Fox and Kanal D, as well as Turkish streaming services such as PuhuTV and BluTV. VPNs with servers worldwide also allow you to unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and ESPN.
Are VPNs legal in Turkey?
While there isn’t a law in Turkey that makes VPNs illegal, the government’s blocking of Tor, as well as many popular VPN services, makes this something of a grey area. However, we’ve not seen any reports of anyone being arrested or charged with a crime for using a VPN. For this reason, we understand that it is still legal to use a VPN in Turkey. However, we advise researching your country’s laws if you are unsure.
Which VPNs are blocked in Turkey?
According to our research, the following VPNs are blocked in Turkey at the time of writing:
It’s also worth noting that Tor is blocked in Turkey. If you do find a particular VPN to be blocked, it may be worth trying again some time later as many blocks have proved to be temporary. You can use our handy tool to test if a site is blocked in Turkey.
- 1 How to get a Turkey IP address
- 2 The best VPNs to get a Turkey IP address
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. PrivateVPN
- 8 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 9 4. Surfshark
- 10 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 11 5. VyprVPN
- 12 Save 69% on the 2 year plan
- 13 Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address for Turkey?
- 14 Why do I need a VPN for Turkey?
- 15 How can I watch Turkish TV abroad with a VPN?
- 16 Are VPNs legal in Turkey?
- 17 Which VPNs are blocked in Turkey?