Have you ever faced the frustration of an unexpected ban from Epic Games for supposedly breaking their Community Rules? It’s a sting many have felt when they want to play Fortnite. Whether it’s a fleeting 30-day block or the dreaded permanent exclusion. Sometimes, these bans may feel unjust or be an oversight. You might have tried appealing, but there’s no guaranteed fix there. After extensive research and testing, we’ve uncovered a reliable soltuion: Utilizing a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN allows you to connect to a server in a different region, effectively altering your IP address and, in essence, your online location. Pair this with a fresh Epic Games account and a unique email, and you have a potential passport back to Fortnite. Plus, with a VPN’s encryption, your online gaming becomes not only unrestricted but also private and secure. Level up your gaming with confidence and safety.
If you’re in a rush and don’t have time to read the full article, these are the best VPNs for getting unbanned from Fortnite:
- NordVPN: The #1 VPN for getting unbanned from Fortnite. 5,000+ servers, fast and unthrottled connections, and 24/7 support. No-logs service with specialty P2P servers.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Fortnite.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. High-speed servers for lag-free online gaming. Works with Fortnite and 30+ Netflix libraries. Multihop servers. Unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries. Unlimited bandwidth for low ping Fortnite. Also works with Netflix. User-friendly apps and excellent support. Military-grade encryption.
- CyberGhost: More than 8,000 servers in 90+ countries. Very fast speeds for playing Fortnite and streaming Netflix US. No-logs VPN with up to seven simultaneous connections.
- IPVanish: Very fast and lets you connect all of your devices. Bypass Fortnite bans and watch Netflix US overseas. Zero-logs service with encryption. 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: Works with Fortnite and many streaming platforms. Easy to use with remote help and installation. Operates a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin.
- Atlas VPN: Unblock Fortnite and play without lag. Unlimited connections per account. MultiHop servers and an ad blocker. Doesn’t keep any identifying logs.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP FORTNITE VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Fortnite with no restrictions for a month—great if you need to wait out a temporary Fortnite ban.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to get unbanned from Fortnite with a VPN
While you can attempt to appeal a Fortnite ban, there is no guarantee you will succeed. Following the step-by-step instructions laid out below (and one of the VPNs listed in this post) is much more likely to be successful.
Here’s how to bypass a Fortnite ban using a VPN:
- To get started, sign up with a VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN for getting unbanned from Fortnite.
- Download and install a VPN app. Fortnite is available on desktop (PC and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), and consoles. All of the VPNs included in this post provide apps for Windows and Mac. Use with consoles requires manual setup with a router.
- Uninstall Fortnite from your device, making sure to delete all files. This ensures that there are no data linked to your previous IP address and banned account.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server to change your IP address. For the fastest connection, choose a server close to your physical location.
- Install Fortnite once again. You should create a new username and email address if you want to reduce the risk of being linked to your banned account.
- You should now be unbanned from Fortnite and free to play without further restriction. Just be sure to check the Epic Games Community Rules to avoid repeat issues.
Best Fortnite VPNs – Our hands-on review
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice VPN for Fortnite.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Fortnite||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Avg Speed (US)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||50 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Server countries||60||100||94||53||53||63||49||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||2,200+||200+||1000+||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Unlimited|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 86% + Get 3 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 81% on the 2 yr plan + 3 FREE months
SAVE 90% on the three year plan
SAVE 86% on a 2 year plan + 6 months free
Best VPNs for getting unbanned from Fortnite
Not every VPN is suitable for use with Fortnite. That’s why we only recommend VPNs that we have fully tested and meets the following criteria:
- Servers in countries worldwide
- Fast speeds with no bandwidth throttling
- High-end encryption for your data
- Protects privacy with a no-logs policy
- Support via live chat and email
- Allows at least five simultaneous connections
From our real-world gaming experience, here’s our list of the best VPNs for bypassing Fortnite bans:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is well placed to help you get unbanned from Fortnite. That’s because it has a large network of more than 5,000 servers. These are located across 60 countries including the likes of the US and Canada. Its NordLynx protocol is an adaptation of WireGuard and promises fast, unthrottled speeds (we had an average download speed of 369 Mbps in tests) while the strong unblocking ability of NordVPN makes it highly suitable if you regularly travel abroad.
Not only is NordVPN a great choice for online gaming, it’s also popular for file sharing, thanks to P2P-optimized servers. This no-logs service protects you from DDoS attacks through security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. If that’s not enough, you can always connect to a Double VPN or Onion Over VPN server for two layers of encryption. While easy to use for beginners, NordVPN also offers 24/7 live chat and email support.
Secure up to six devices at the same time with NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are also available (Chrome and Firefox). Last but not least, compatible routers can be configured manually.
- Fast server speeds for low ping gaming on Fortnite
- More than 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Unblocks streaming services such as Netflix
- Offers specialty servers including P2P and Double VPN
- Live chat and email support are available 24/7
- Headquartered in Panama and isn’t subject to data retention laws
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR FORTNITE:NordVPN is our top choice for getting unbanned from Fortnite. Over 5,000 servers and fast speeds for lag-free gaming and streaming. Specialty P2P servers and a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 live chat support included. NordVPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark was only launched in 2018, yet has already grown to become one of the most popular providers on the market. A rapidly growing server network now consists of over 3,000 servers in 65 countries. With it, you can navigate your Fortnite ban and even access over 30 different Netflix libraries while away from home. Surfshark uses the WireGuard protocol and its fast speeds mean you can play with low ping and even stream content in 4K.
This VPN offers subscribers access to live chat customer support 24 hours a day. You’ll also be able to connect all of your devices at the same time under a single account. There’s no need to worry about threats from hackers because all internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. Further security features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and MultiHop servers. Surfshark also operates a strict no-logs policy.
Access Fortnite as normal via Surfshark’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Apps are also available for Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV, as are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. If you play Fortnite on console, manual setup with a router is required.
- Growing network of servers (over 3,000 in 65 countries)
- Very fast connections means you can play Fortnite lag-free
- Works with more than 30 Netflix libraries
- You can connect all of your devices at the same time
- Connect to a MultiHop server for an extra layer of encryption
- Sometimes slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark works with Fortnite as well as Netflix and has over 3,000 servers available. Very fast speeds for gaming and streaming without lag. Connect as many devices as you like at once. MultiHop servers and 24/7 support. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a highly reliable VPN for accessing restricted content, be it due to a ban or copyright restrictions. Aside from Fortnite, you can use it with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video while overseas. One standout feature is its network of 3,000+ servers located across an impressive 94 countries. Few VPNs can rival a network of this scale. With ExpressVPN’s fast servers and unlimited bandwidth, it’s ideal for online gaming, streaming, and torrenting.
When you use ExpressVPN, other gamers can no longer see your actual IP address and location—only that of the VPN. This plus the fact that it doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users means you can stay anonymous online. Secure up to five devices simultaneously and benefit from features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat support is arguably the best of any VPN we’ve tested.
Get unbanned from Fortnite with the help of ExpressVPN. Apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available. There’s even custom firmware for routers, making it ideal for console players.
- Servers in 94 countries worldwide — more than any other VPN listed
- Reliably bypasses Fortnite bans and unblocks streaming services
- Keeps your data secure with the highest level of encryption
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users
- High-quality customer support 24 hours a day
- One of the more expensive VPNs on this list
- Streaming servers are not labeled
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries and easily bypasses Fortnite bans. Stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more from abroad. Fast connections, secure with encryption, and quality support. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers the largest server network of any VPN listed—approximately 8,000+ servers in more than 90 countries. As such, you’ll rarely have trouble finding a fast server close to your location. Our speed tests indicate CyberGhost is the fastest VPN around with an average download speed of 548 Mbps. Needless to say, this makes it highly compatible with multiplayer games such as Fortnite as well as streaming services like Netflix US.
With a CyberGhost account, you can secure seven devices at once. There are plenty of security features to help keep you safe online such as 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection. CyberGhost operates a strict no-logs policy for your privacy. If you play Fortnite on PC, you can benefit from this VPN’s Security Suite for Windows which includes an antivirus. Need help? 24/7 live chat support is available.
CyberGhost apps are offered for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) as well as Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is necessary for use with wi-fi routers.
- Largest server network (8,000+ in more than 90 countries)
- Fastest speeds tested makes it perfect for playing Fortnite
- Secure up to seven of your devices at the same time
- Privacy protection thanks to a strict no-logs policy
- Extra security for Windows users in the form of an antivirus
- Not the best option for users in China
- Customer support could be better
WINDOWS SECURITY SUITE:CyberGhost has an impressive 8,000+ servers and won’t throttle your bandwidth. Get unbanned from Fortnite and stream Netflix US from anywhere. No-logs service with a Windows Security Suite with antivirus. Comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has expanded its network which now stands at over 2,000 servers. Located across dozens of countries, these servers let you bypass Fortnite bans as well as access region-locked websites and services. The speeds offered by IPVanish have drastically improved since it implemented the WireGuard protocol. In fact, it averaged 488 Mbps in our tests. You can play Fortnite online without interruption as a result.
The average VPN service lets you connect up to a handful of devices. However, IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections which is ideal if you have a lot of devices to secure (or if you want to share with family). This is a zero-logs service with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. IPVanish is a beginner-friendly VPN with 24/7 support via live chat and email. With it, you can connect to a server in seconds.
With IPVanish’s Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS apps, you can get unbanned from Fortnite. Note that there’s also an app for Amazon Fire TV although you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions if you wish to use IPVanish with your router and bypass a console ban.
- Now offers more than 2,000 servers in all
- WireGuard protocol allows for low ping online gaming
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Headquartered in the US (a member of the Five Eyes alliance)
- No anonymous payment options such as Bitcoin
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish offers 2,000+ servers and very fast speeds for low ping gaming. Works with Fortnite and even Netflix US. Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously. No-logs service with high-end encryption. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is reliable when it comes to bypassing bans and geographic restrictions. Not only is it a great choice for use with Fortnite, it works with many popular streaming platforms, Netflix included. One of the main advantages of this VPN is its high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth. This lets you play Fortnite online without lag impacting your experience. Keep in mind that PrivateVPN also lets you connect six devices at the same time.
Signup with PrivateVPN only requires an email address. If you use a burner email and choose to pay in Bitcoin, you can essentially sign up anonymously. There’s a strict no-logs policy which ensures your data (including your browsing activity) stays private. 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch all combine to provide comprehensive safeguarding from threats. Apps are easy to use, although 24/7 support is available.
You can choose from PrivateVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Fortnite console players can use PrivateVPN with their wireless routers (if compatible) but this does require manual setup.
- Bypass Fortnite bans and watch streaming services abroad
- Good, consistent speeds for gaming and streaming
- Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- Online anonymity thanks to a strict no-logs policy
- Much smaller network of roughly 200 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
LOW PING GAMING:PrivateVPN provides servers in dozens of countries and fast speeds for stress-free online gaming. User-friendly apps and fast and friendly support. Use it with Fortnite and Netflix. Strict no-logs policy included. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN servers can be found in several dozen countries including the US and UK. With its IP addresses, you can navigate your Fortnite ban. This is also a highly consistent option for streaming because it works with the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+. It also happens to be one of the fastest VPNs you can use. This is good news for online gamers because it means low ping and less lag. Atlas VPN also allows for 4K streaming.
Just as important as performance is the security and privacy protection offered by a VPN. Atlas VPN ticks most boxes with 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch. In fact, it goes even further than this with MultiHop servers as well as an ad and malware blocker. Atlas VPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. Last but not least, there’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect simultaneously.
With Atlas VPN, you’ll have access to apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. This VPN can be manually configured to work with Linux and some wireless routers (useful if you play Fortnite on Xbox or PlayStation, for example).
- Works with Fortnite as well as Netflix
- High-speed servers combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Secure all of your devices at once via a single account
- Lots of security features such as MultiHop servers
- Small list of servers available
- Doesn’t work in China
LOTS OF FEATURES:Atlas VPN offers very fast speeds for low ping gaming. Access Fortnite and streaming services like Netflix without restriction. Connect all of your devices at once. Includes MultiHop servers and an ad blocker. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
How to appeal a Fortnite ban
A Fortnite ban usually means you’ve broken the Epic Games Code of Conduct. However, some bans may be excessive, while others may be made in error. Fortunately, you can submit an appeal. This may be your preferred option if you want to return to using your banned account as opposed to creating a new one.
Here’s how to appeal a Fortnite ban:
- Go to the Epic Games Support request page. If possible, log in to your account (there’s also an option if you’re unable to log in).
- Enter your display name and the email address associated with your Fortnite account. You also need to select the platform on which you received the ban.
- Explain what happened and why you feel the ban should be overturned. Try to be as clear and concise as possible.
- Submit the appeal and wait for a response. This may take a few days. Remember, there’s no guarantee your ban will be overturned.
- Didn’t work? You can always try getting unbanned from Fortnite using a VPN. To do this, follow the instructions set out below.
Finding the best VPNs for getting unbanned from Fortnite: our methodology
While some Fortnite bans are deserved, there’s a chance you’ve received too harsh a punishment or even that a mistake has been made. Appealing a Fortnite ban may resolve this but that’s no guarantee. Furthermore, not every VPN is suitable for use with Fortnite. Our methodology involved looking for each VPN to meet the following criteria:
- Servers worldwide: You can play Fortnite almost anywhere in the world. However, some online content (particularly that of streaming services) is region locked. Having access to servers in dozens of countries helps you get around this. Besides, being able to connect to a server near your location generally means faster speeds.
- Speed: Speaking of speed, there’s little more important when it comes to gaming online. The lower your ping, the less lag you’re likely to encounter. We carry out speed tests to find the fastest VPNs. All of these VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth so you’ll be free to game, stream, and torrent as much as you like.
- Unblocking: Aside from getting unbanned from Fortnite, you may wish to access geo-blocked streaming services such as Netflix. Not all VPNs excel in this respect. Not only do we test VPNs against Fortnite, we also try them against other websites and services so you can confidently use them while traveling abroad.
- Security: Whether browsing, streaming, or playing Fortnite, there are always some security risks that come with being online. A VPN should encrypt your data and prevent exposure with a kill switch feature. The best VPNs offer even more than this, be it an ad blocker, automatic wifi protection, or Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: Don’t want others knowing what you’re doing online? That’s why it’s important to use a no-logs VPN. Having studied over 140 VPN logging policies, we know which protect your privacy. The VPNs selected require little personal information for signup while some provide an anonymous payment option (Bitcoin).
- Ease of use: Your main objective is to get unbanned from Fortnite. A VPN should make this quick and easy. As such, you can expect beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps. If you have any trouble, you can always get in touch with your VPN’s customer support (via live chat or email).
- Value for money: Despite offering all of the above, the VPNs in this post remain affordable and good value for money. In all cases, month-to-month and annual (or even multi-year) plans are available. Be sure to make use of the VPN discount coupons provided so you can save even more on the price of a subscription.
Thanks to our VPN testing methodology, we’re confident we’ve identified the best VPNs for getting unbanned from Fortnite. This means VPNs that not only bypass bans but also provide fast speeds for lag-free gaming as well as strong security from DDoS attacks.
VPNs for Fortnite: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to get unbanned from Fortnite?
No, the vast majority of free VPNs don’t get you unbanned from Fortnite. Indeed, most of the IP addresses have already been blacklisted. What’s more, free VPNs generally throttle your bandwidth which means higher ping and a lot of lag. This makes online gaming all the more difficult. You’ll also find that you won’t be able to stream due to the slow connections and the fact that free VPNs don’t work with the likes of Netflix.
Many people use a VPN to secure their online activities. Unfortunately, few free VPNs can be trusted in this respect. In 2020, UFO VPN was found to be keeping detailed logs in plain text and without password protection. This was despite claiming to be a no-logs provider. Furthermore, a 2020 study into iOS VPN applications found that 38.5 percent of free VPNs tested leaked personally identifiable information.
Is it legal to use a VPN to bypass a Fortnite ban?
We’ve trawled through the Epic Games Terms of Service and Community Rules and there’s no specific mention of VPNs or the bypassing of bans. Regardless, it’s legal to use a VPN to bypass a Fortnite ban. If it does indeed go against Fortnite’s Community Rules or Terms of Service, the worst that can happen is that you’ll receive another ban.
However, because bans can be made permanent, it’s worth exercising caution and making sure you follow the instructions set out in this post. This includes creating a new account (with a completely different username and email address). If you do use a VPN to get unbanned from Fortnite, be sure to read the rules to make sure you avoid further issues.
How long do Fortnite bans last?
According to Epic Games, temporary bans last up to 30 days. Less serious offenses may only result in a warning while the most serious cases can result in a permanent ban. Either way, all bans are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Aside from the severity of the situation, Epic Games also looks at whether you’re a repeat offender.