Navigating the world of online content can be a complex endeavor. Geographic restrictions can often stop you from accessing your favorite websites and necessary services when traveling outside Singapore. The best solution to these problems is a Singapore IP, and the easiest way to gain one is with a VPN.
When you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), your device’s internet traffic is encrypted and redirected through a server located in a region of your choice. This allows you to appear as if you are located in that region, such as Singapore, and access content that may otherwise be restricted in your area.
We’ll explain exactly how to use a VPN to gain an IP address for Singapore and the best VPNs for the job. We’ll give detailed reviews of the providers we recommend, but in case you’re short on time, we’ll start with a summary.
Best VPNs to secure a Singaporean IP address:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for getting an IP address for Singapore! Blazing fast speeds and over 70 servers in Singapore. Works with Netflix and other popular sites. User-friendly apps, no-logs policy, 24/7 support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Singapore.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Servers in 100 countries, including Singapore. 24/7 customer support and secure strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Very reliable servers in Singapore. Fast and unblocks most restricted content. Excellent 24/7 support and security with encryption.
- CyberGhost: Fast and reliable VPN service with two dozen servers in Singapore. Up to seven simultaneous connections. Beginner friendly and highly secure with a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Use on all of your devices simultaneously. Great for accessing many popular Singapore websites. No-logs policy and live chat support.
- PrivateVPN: High-speed VPN for unblocking streaming services. Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile. Protects privacy with encryption and no logs.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in 80 countries, including Singapore. No bandwidth throttling and works Singapore TV channels. Strict no-logs policy.
How to get a Singapore IP address
Even if you’ve never used a VPN before, it’s quick and easy to get an IP address for Singapore. Read on for step-by-step instructions on what to do:
Here’s how to get a Singapore IP address with a VPN
- Sign up for a VPN service with servers in Singapore. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app or browser extension for your device, making sure to select the correct version for your operating system.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in Singapore.
- Go to the Singapore website or service that you want to access, it should now be unblocked.
- If you still can’t access it, clear your browser’s cache and cookies before reloading the page. Alternatively, connect to another server or get in touch with your VPN’s customer support.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN offers a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for a Singapore IP with no restrictions for a full month.
There are no hidden terms—just let customer support know within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How we selected the top VPNs for a Singaporean IP
Not all VPNs offer the same quality of service or even the same features, and it can be hard to find one that’s suited to your needs. To make the process a little easier, we’ve narrowed down the options by only including VPNs that meet the following criteria:
- Servers in Singapore and dozens of countries worldwide
- Fast and consistent speeds for high-definition streaming
- Able to unblock popular streaming services and restricted sites
- High level of security with encryption and a kill switch
- Customer support, preferably available via live chat
- User-friendly apps for both desktop and mobile
You can find out more about our VPN testing process further in this article. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made our list.
The best VPNs for an IP address for Singapore: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for getting a Singapore IP.
|Ranking for Singapore
|Total number of servers
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers
|Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV
|Avg Speed (Mbps)
|Popular Sites Unblocked
|Best deal (per month)
SAVE 67% on a 2 yr plan + gifts
Save 79% + Get 2 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 75% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
The best VPNs to get a Singapore IP address
At Comparitech, we’re committed to bringing you the most accurate advice possible. To do this, we use each VPN personally and put them through rigorous real-world testing. The following reviews are based on the results of those first-hand experiences.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Singapore:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for obtaining a Singapore IP address. It offers superfast speeds and easily unblocks geo-restricted content. Overall, NordVPN has 70+ servers in Singapore and more than 5,500 across 60+ countries worldwide. This high quantity of servers is combined with high-quality performance. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth make NordVPN a good choice for streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. What’s more, NordVPN is of great value because you can use it on up to six devices at once.
We found NordVPN’s apps to be well-designed and intuitive. Navigating servers is easy. Each listing displays the current server load and gives you the option to favorite specific servers. Security is strong, with NordVPN offering 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. You can use NordVPN with peace of mind as it also has a no-logs policy and is based in Panama, where there is no mandatory data retention law.
NordVPN apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. However, routers require manual installation.
- 70+ servers in Singapore (far more than most VPNs)
- Plenty of extremely fast and consistent global servers
- Works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Use on up to six devices at once
- Secure with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Excellent support available around the clock
- Some servers are a little unreliable
BEST VPN FOR SINGAPORE:NordVPN is our first choice. It pegs amazing speeds and operates a huge network of servers. Can be used on up to six devices simultaneously. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free deal.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great low-cost VPN that’s especially worth considering if you’re planning on sharing your VPN with your family. That’s because it allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This VPN offers around 3,200 servers in 100+ countries, including Singapore. It can be used to securely access all kinds of content, be it Netflix or Skype. Speeds are generally good for streaming, which means you can watch without interruption.
This is a convenient service thanks to the beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions offered. There’s also 24/7 live chat and email support and a number of useful features, such as an ad-blocker. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and operates a strict no-logs policy. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks.
Choose Surfshark, and you’ll be able to download apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. There are also Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual configuration is necessary for compatible routers.
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Servers in 100+ countries, including Singapore
- Easy-to-use service with excellent apps and 24/7 customer support
- No-logs VPN with plenty of security features, such as encryption
- Lots of security features
- Not all features are included with the base subscription
BEST BUDGET OPTION: with families as it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices. Servers in Singapore and dozens of countries worldwide. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in Jurong, Marina Bay, and the Central Business District (CBD) of Singapore. It operates a network of more than 3,000 servers in 100+ countries. Servers are fast and consistent and allow you to stream TV shows and movies in 1080p with no buffering or lag. Indeed, ExpressVPN is great for streaming and works with platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu.
Security is clearly important to ExpressVPN, which uses 256-bit AES encryption to protect your data. Also included are DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and a kill switch that cuts your internet traffic should the VPN connection drop (this prevents your data from being leaked to your ISP). ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands, far removed from the Five Eyes alliance. It doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and routers. ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer is a smart DNS proxy that allows you to use it with select smart TVs and media consoles. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox.
- Fast and consistent servers in Singapore
- A strong choice for live-streaming
- User-friendly apps for beginners
- Excellent 24/7 customer support
- Plenty of security features, including encryption
- A little more expensive than other providers
- Lack of configuration for advanced users
RELIABLE AND SECURE:ExpressVPN offers fast and consistent servers in Singapore. Works with most streaming services such as Netflix and has excellent, user-friendly apps. You can try it with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is an easy-to-use VPN that offers around 24 servers in Singapore. With a network of more than 10,000 servers across 100+ countries, it’s one of the largest VPNs on the market. Fast and very reliable, CyberGhost is unlikely to cause you any problems. Aside from offering unlimited bandwidth, CyberGhost allows you to have simultaneous connections on up to seven devices.
While live chat support is offered, CyberGhost’s apps are simple enough for beginners to use. A series of toggle buttons let you activate features such as an ad-blocker and force the use of HTTPS on websites. There are plenty of security features too, with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. CyberGhost is based in Romania, and your information is protected through its strict no-logs policy.
CyberGhost apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon TV, and Fire Stick. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. Linux and routers require manual setup.
- Plenty of servers in Singapore (24+) and thousands worldwide
- Up to seven simultaneous connections
- Apps and browser extensions are easy to use for beginners
- Very secure with a strict no-logs policy
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China
- Better suited to beginners than advanced users
STRONG SECURITY:CyberGhost is a very secure VPN service with a no-logs policy. It’s fast and has many servers in Singapore and worldwide. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish lets you have as many simultaneous connections as you like, making this a great-value VPN. What’s more, IPVanish has 30+ servers available in Singapore and more than 2,000 in dozens of countries. Not only is IPVanish fast, but it’s also very reliable and is a popular choice among Kodi users thanks to its ease of use and compatibility. With this VPN, you’ll be able to unblock the likes of Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer.
Having tested the apps of IPVanish, we can say that they’re easy to use. It’s possible to search servers by region and country as well as filter by latency. Should you encounter any issues, IPVanish offers 24/7 customer support that is fast to reply via the live chat feature. This VPN service states that it keeps zero traffic logs. Aside from using 256-bit AES encryption, IPVanish offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch.
IPVanish apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual configuration is required for Linux and routers.
- Fast and reliable VPN service
- Easy to use with Kodi
- Connect all of your devices simultaneously
- Keeps zero traffic logs
- Apps aren’t the most eye-catching
- Based in the US, which is in the Five Eyes alliance
IDEAL FOR FAMILIES:IPVanish lets you connect any number of devices via a single account. It’s fast and great with Kodi though it’s based in the USA (a Five Eyes member). 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN, a relatively small VPN service, this provider has only around 200 servers. However, don’t write it off yet! those servers are strategically located across 63 countries, including Singapore, and offer exceptional unblocking abilities as well as some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen. This VPN ensures a stress-free streaming experience for movies and TV shows.
PrivateVPN, which allows for 10 simultaneous connections, is an excellent choice for families or individuals with multiple devices. Its simplicity and user-friendly interface make it a favorite amongst those less knowledgeable about VPNs. The clean, minimalistic design of its app interface simplifies server selection and configuration of settings.
Our in-depth analysis of this Sweden-based VPN indicates a strict zero data-logging policy, reinforcing that they remain unaware of users’ online activities. It also offers robust security features, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an in-built kill switch.
PrivateVPN provides dedicated Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS apps, with manual setup required for Linux and routers.
- Very fast speeds for HD streaming
- Connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Apps are very user-friendly
- Only has a small network of servers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
GREAT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a very fast VPN service that works with many streaming services. It offers user-friendly apps, though live chat support isn’t 24/7. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access stands out for offering a global network of servers in over 80 countries. This includes servers in Singapore, so you can get a Singapore IP address and access all of your favorite content while abroad. This includes Channel 5. Thanks to unlimited bandwidth, you can stream from anywhere with little to no lag or buffering. Note that PIA also works well with the US and UK versions of Netflix.
With a single Private Internet Access account, you can secure all of your devices at the same time. You’ll also benefit from its many security features, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. This is essential if you’re on vacation and finding yourself using public wifi. While most VPNs with no-logs policies keep some basic connection logs, this is not the case for PIA.
Connect to PIA’s Singapore servers via its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browser extensions are available. It’s also possible to manually set up a connection with select routers.
- Unlimited bandwidth for consistent streaming and torrenting
- Can be used on as many devices as you like simultaneously
- No-logs policy — doesn’t even keep connection logs
- Fails to bypass restrictions in China
- Apps could be a little easier to navigate
SERVERS IN 80+ COUNTRIES:Private Internet Access has servers in Singapore and offers unlimited bandwidth for streaming. Works with Channel 5 and even Netflix. Unlimited devices and a true no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
We understand that you likely want to get an IP address for Singapore in order to access geo-blocked or even government-censored content. In that case, you need a VPN that’s up to the task. We have a rigorous testing method to help us find the best VPNs for you, here are some of the criteria we look for:
- Servers in Singapore: Not every VPN offers servers in Singapore, so this was one of the first things we looked for. By connecting to a server located in Singapore, you’ll be able to get an IP address for Singapore. Note that all of the VPNs listed offer servers in dozens of countries around the world.
- Speed: Whether you’re browsing, streaming, or torrenting, you need a VPN with fast server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth. Without it, you’ll be waiting far longer for web pages to load or content to download. The fastest VPNs also allow you to stream in high resolution, lag, and buffer-free.
- Unblocking: Although a VPN may have servers in many locations, it may still struggle to unblock some content. This is often the case with streaming services, many of which actively block VPNs. Our testing of dozens of VPNs has helped us find those with the strongest unblocking abilities.
- Security: Whether you’re in Singapore or traveling abroad, cybercriminals pose a threat. By using a VPN to encrypt your data, you make yourself a far tougher target. We only recommend VPNs that use high-end encryption and offer a kill switch and protection from DNS leaks for comprehensive protection.
- Privacy: You may feel safe while connected to a VPN, but did you know that some VPNs log your browsing data? This may be sold to third parties or shared with governmental authorities. To prevent this, use a VPN that operates a no-logs policy. Having studied 140 VPN logging policies, we know which to use.
- Ease of use: We’ve compared many different VPN apps to find those that are quick and easy to navigate. Indeed, you should be able to connect to a server in seconds. It’s also essential that the VPN you use offers live chat and email support so you can get help whenever you need it.
- Value for money: Believe it or not, it is possible to find VPNs that offer all of the above while remaining affordable. What makes the best VPNs for getting a Singapore IP address even better value is that we offer discount coupons for each. Oh, and they even come back with risk-free money-back guarantees!
To find the above features, we follow our VPN testing methodology. This involves analyzing each VPN in multiple areas, such as speed and security.
Using a free VPN to gain a Singapore IP
Few free VPNs have servers in Singapore, however, even if you find one that does, we wouldn’t recommend using it. For the following reasons:
1. Free VPNs are not safe. Not only do many free VPNs lack many essential security features, such as basic encryption, but some knowingly compromise your online security. In particular, free VPNs often spam you with irritating, irrelevant ads, some carry malware, while others even collect your data and sell it to third parties.
2. Free VPNs are slow. Many free VPNs struggle to evade the anti-VPN measures that popular streaming platforms use. Those that can access streaming sites often suffer from performance issues such as buffering and lag. This isn’t surprising because free VPNs tend to have too many users and too few servers.
3. Free VPNs lack features. As you’d expect, a free service is unlikely to be packed with features. Paid VPNs often let you connect multiple devices simultaneously, offer easy-to-use browser extensions, and even specialty servers that provide more security.
In short, free VPNs tend to be limited and insecure. We recommend opting for a paid VPN instead and making use of their free trials and money-back guarantees to ensure you’re happy before committing long-term.
Using a VPN to gain a Singapore IP address: FAQs
Why do I need a VPN for Singapore?
Singapore’s internet has consistently been rated as only “partly free” by Freedom House in Freedom on the Net in recent years. The introduction of the Public Order and Safety Act in March 2018 saw the expansion of police powers, allowing them to ban communications in the event of a “serious incident”.
Singapore’s Broadcasting Act, enforced by the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA), dictates that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) filter content that is judged to be “undesirable, harmful, or obscene”. According to Freedom House, IMDA blocks approximately 100 websites, the majority of which are pornographic sites.
Aside from helping you access government-censored content, a VPN lets you unblock geo-restricted content. Furthermore, a VPN for Singapore improves your online security, as your ISP won’t be able to see what you’re doing online. This is why it’s important to look for a VPN that offers a no-logs policy.
Are VPNs legal in Singapore?
The use of VPNs in Singapore is legal. Indeed, using a Singapore VPN is often necessary. A lot of content is geo-restricted, which means you have to be in a specific country in order to access it. What’s more, the Singapore government has been known to censor internet content, including pornography.
Is torrenting legal in Singapore?
Torrenting is legal in Singapore. However, as in many countries, distributing and downloading copyrighted content is illegal. While we don’t condone the downloading of copyrighted material, we do advise the use of a VPN when torrenting. The reason for this is that your ISP can monitor your internet use, but a VPN helps to hide your activity. The best VPNs for torrenting are those that are fast, don’t keep identifying logs, and are based in countries without mandatory data retention laws.
How can I watch Singapore TV abroad with a VPN?
It’s easy to watch Singapore TV abroad. All you need to do is connect to a server in Singapore via your VPN. This should change your IP address and allow you to unblock any geo-restricted content you’re likely to come across. You may need to try more than one server and clear your browser’s cookies in order for changes to take effect.
If you’re outside Singapore, you’ll be able to watch content from Singapore TV channels such as Channel 5 HD and Suria HD. You’ll also be able to access MediaCorp’s online service Toggle and the popular OTT video service Viu. Having a VPN with servers in other countries, such as the US, can help you regain access to your usual streaming services as you travel.
Why do some online services in Singapore ban international viewers?
As is common with most streaming services around the world, Singaporean TV platforms and streaming services use geo-restrictions to prevent people outside of Singapore from streaming their content. They do this to comply with the licensing contracts they have entered into with content producers and copyright holders.
Those content producers withhold the right to sell their content around the globe, which is why streaming platforms track each visitor’s IP address to check they are within the contractually agreed region. If somebody living outside of Singapore visits the streaming website, it will serve them an automated error message.
VPNs are the ideal solution for anybody outside of Singapore who wants to access their favorite streaming sites. A VPN can give you an IP address in Singapore to let you access TV platforms and streams while on vacation or traveling for work.
What else can I do with a Singaporean IP address?
Essentially, once you connect to a Singaporean VPN server, you can use any website that you’d be able to access if you were actually in Singapore. This includes streaming platforms like MeWatch, Netflix Singapore, and Viu.
If your Singaporean online banking service is particularly sensitive to foreign login attempts, you might find your account temporarily locked if you try to sign in while on vacation abroad. Instead, just connect to a VPN server in Singapore to stop the system from even realizing you’re away from home.
Can I use a proxy to get a Singapore IP address instead of a VPN?
If you want a Singapore IP address, using proxies may not provide the same level of security and dependability as VPNs. VPNs use advanced encryption protocols to safeguard your data, making them a more secure option.
How do I check if my IP address has changed?
You can confirm if your IP address has changed by using our IP checker before and after connecting to the VPN. The IP address should reflect your selected server’s location if the VPN functions correctly.