Netflix has different library of TV shows and movies for every country it operates in. When you connect to Netflix, it determines your location according to your IP address. This can be frustrating when you’re traveling abroad and want to access your home Netflix US library while in Germany. Don’t worry. By using a VPN, you can change your IP address and securely access American Netflix from Germany.
A Virtual Private Network or VPN encrypts your device’s internet connection and routes it through an intermediary server in a location of your choosing. That means you’ll connect to Netflix from the VPN server instead of your real location, granting access to the full library of movies and TV shows on Netflix USA from Germany.
In this article, we give detailed reviews of the best VPNs for accessing Netflix USA from Germany, but if you don’t have time to read the whole article, here’s a summary of our recommendations.
Best VPN for watching Netflix US from Germany:
- NordVPN: Our top pick for Netflix US. Works well with American Netflix as well as many other streaming services. High-speed servers and strong security. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Netflix.
- Surfshark: Great budget option for accessing American Netflix from Germany. Extremely fast and secure. Servers in 100 countries. No connection limit.
- ExpressVPN: Super secure and super fast. Works reliably with Netflix and plenty of other streaming services.
- CyberGhost: Novice-friendly option that can securely access Netflix US from anywhere. Vast network of 9,000+ global servers.
- IPVanish: Security-minded VPN that makes it easy to stream Netflix USA from Germany or anywhere. No connection limits.
- PrivateVPN: A small but fast VPN that works with Netflix and boasts top-tier security and high speeds ideal for streaming.
- AtlasVPN: 1,000+ lightning-fast servers in 50 locations. Great at accessing streaming platforms and websites and has no connection limits.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to stream US Netflix securely while traveling abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to use a VPN to securely access Netflix US from Germany
Once you’ve signed up for one of the recommended VPN providers above, getting set up to stream American Netflix is easy.
Here’s how to watch Netflix US in Germany:
- Download and install the VPN app onto your preferred device. We recommend NordVPN.
- Log in to the app and select a US server. This will give you the US IP address you need to bypass Netflix’s restrictions. You may need to consult with customer support to find out which servers work with Netflix.
- Connect to the server and wait for the connection to be established.
- If you experience problems, try clearing your browser’s cookies and cache and then reconnecting.
- Open Netflix as usual and start streaming!
Best VPNs for watching Netflix US in Germany – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for US Netflix.
|Ranking for Netflix USA from Germany
|Unblocks Netflix US
|Avg Speed (Europe)
|Popular Sites Unblocked
|Total number of servers
|Best deal (per month)
SAVE 67% on a 2 yr plan + gifts
Save 79% + Get 2 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 75% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
Best VPNs to stream Netflix US in Germany
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market, but they don’t all provide the same level of service and won’t all help you connect to American Netflix from Germany. We’ve curated our list of the best VPNs for the job based on the following criteria:
- Works reliably with Netflix USA
- Fast speeds for high-quality, uninterrupted streaming
- Quick, competent customer support (German language support is a plus!)
- Money-back guarantee
You can read a more detailed account of what we look for in the VPNs we recommend in the methodology section below. But for now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made our list.
Here is our list of the best VPNs for watching Netflix US from Germany:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top VPN recommendation for watching Netflix USA from Germany (or anywhere). Nord makes it easy to stream Netflix safely. It’s one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, so video streaming should never be an issue. Aside from having almost 2,000 US servers spread across 15 cities, NordVPN has a wide network of over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, making it easy to access content wherever you like.
Every NordVPN connection is protected by strong encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a customizable kill switch. NordVPN doesn’t store identifiable logs of your activity while connected to the VPN. In fact, it has an independently audited no-logs policy to prove it. You can connect up to six devices at once on a single plan and, if you need help, 24-hour support is available via live chat as well as email.
NordVPN apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and Fire TV, all of which can securely access Netflix USA in the app or in a web browser. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also offered. Use with routers requires manual setup.
- Almost 2,000 servers in the US and 5,000+ worldwide
- No problems accessing Netflix US
- Very fast servers ideal for streaming
- Strong security and privacy protocols
- Up to six simultaneous connections
- 24/7 knowledgable live support
- Desktop app takes some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR NETFLIX US:NordVPN is our #1 choice it works well with American Netflix and other popular streaming sites and is extremely strong on security. It comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget pick. It excels at securely accessing services like Netflix and other popular streaming sites. In fact, Surfshark is compatible with over 30 Netflix libraries in all. It’s one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested as of the time of writing, so bring on the 4K streams! With a network of over 3,000 servers spread across 100 countries, including the US, finding a server where you need one is easy.
Surfshark doesn’t skimp on security. Your data is protected with military-grade encryption and zero logging of users’ activity or identifying personal information. You can also expect a kill switch and protection from both DNS and IPv6 leaks. Better still, users can connect an unlimited number of devices at once on a single account, making Surfshark a great option for a family or group of housemates.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and Fire TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. You can even manually configure a Surfshark connection with VPN-compatible routers.
- Super fast VPN, Ideal for streaming
- Securely access Netflix from anywhere
- Strong security protocols
- Unlimited connections
- Customer support could be improved
BEST FOR BUDGET:Surfshark offers great value. It works with Netflix and offers unlimited connections, competitive speed, security, and privacy features at a low price. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable provider that consistently works with Netflix US. It also provides secure access to various other streaming services, including Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO. ExpressVPN offers top-of-the-line encryption standards, leak protection, and a “network lock” that halts all internet traffic in the event of a dropped connection. Download speeds are more than fast enough to stream in HD without buffering.
If you watch Netflix on a device that doesn’t support VPNs, ExpressVPN still has you covered. You can use the MediaStreamer smart DNS proxy service on game consoles and Apple TV. Alternatively, installing ExpressVPN’s custom firmware on a wifi router can tunnel any device in your home through the VPN, including smart TV, Roku, and Chromecast.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, certain wifi routers, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available.
- Works with Netflix USA and many other streaming services
- Keeps no identifying logs
- Great security and privacy standards
- Super fast
- 24/7 knowledgeable customer support
- More expensive than others on this list
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
HIGH-END VPN:ExpressVPN is a speedy, reliable and secure VPN with servers in 94 countries and apps for a huge range of devices. Every plan includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it easier than ever to watch American Netflix from Germany. With it, you can select the appropriate streaming-optimized server to get started as quickly as possible. CyberGhost is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested and should be more than capable of streaming high-definition video. With a vast network of over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries, finding a connection where you need one is easy.
If you run into any trouble, take advantage of the 24/7 live chat support. CyberGhost is the only provider on this list to offer live chat support in German. The company doesn’t keep any identifying logs and uses strong encryption standards. A kill switch, automatic wi-fi security, and leak protection come bundled in the apps. CyberGhost lets you connect up to seven devices at once.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available while a connection can be manually configured with select routers.
- Vast server network
- Dedicated servers for getting secure access to Netflix US
- Keeps no logs
- Strong security
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China or UAE
- More suited for beginners than power users
EAST-TO-USE:CyberGhost's intuitive apps make it easy to stream Netflix US from Germany. Strong security, vast server network, and great customer support. It offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish lets users connect as many devices as they like and works well with Netflix USA. A network of over 2,000 servers in 75+ locations, combined with some decent speeds, makes it perfect for streaming high-quality video. Notably, IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account which makes it an excellent choice for sharing with family.
IPVanish protects every connection with military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. It follows a true no-logs policy and recently introduced support for the WireGuard protocol. Live chat is available 24/7 and can help you with any issues you might have.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Fire TV. IPVanish is especially popular among Kodi users and works with any Kodi add-on. Manual setup is necessary to use IPVanish with Linux or routers however.
- Works with Netflix USA
- Keeps no logs
- Strong security
- Allows unlimited connections
- Based in USA
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
SECURE VPN:IPVanish can help you stream American Netflix from Germany while keeping your internet connection secure from third parties. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN can securely access pretty much everything we’ve thrown at it thus far, including Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. Streaming servers are no longer labeled, but there aren’t many in each location, so finding out which ones work doesn’t take long at all. PrivateVPN has posted some impressive download speeds in our tests, so it has the bandwidth necessary for HD streams.
If you have any problems, live chat support is ready to help. There’s even free remote help and installation should you require any extra assistance. The VPN provides un-crackable encryption, perfect forward secrecy, leak protection, and a kill switch. A single plan allows you to connect up to 10 devices at the same time.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Fire TV. You can also manually set up a connection with Linux and select wireless routers.
- Works with many streaming services, including Netflix US
- Fast speeds
- Solid security
- Fewer server locations
- Live customer service is not available 24/7
SECURE AND SPEEDY:PrivateVPN is great for streaming thanks to its top-tier speeds and strong security toolkit. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a great pick for accessing American Netflix in Germany as it has over 1,000 servers in 75+ locations worldwide, including servers in Germany and the US. You can expect fast and reliable streams on Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, and several other platforms thanks to the use of the WireGuard protocol. Atlas VPN lets you secure as many devices as you like at the same time.
AtlasVPN is based in Panama, which is outside of any surveillance operations, giving you peace of mind your activities will remain anonymous and aligns with its promise of zero log collection. AtlasVPN includes AES encryption, split tunneling, and malware blocking, and even has MultiHop servers for two or more layers of encryption.
You’ll find Atlas VPN apps on popular platforms like Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. However, it doesn’t offer router support.
- Good set of security tools
- Zero connection limit
- Great at accessing streaming providers
- Lacks the number of servers versus competitors
- No router support
ROBUST ENCRYPTION:AtlasVPN is great at accessing Netflix in Germany and includes security features like split tunneling, a breach tracker, and malware blocking. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Still getting the proxy error? Try this.
If Netflix detects that you are using a VPN, it will usually just show you content that’s available everywhere in the world. Alternatively, it could prevent access to the video and return the following error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
If you’re using one of the VPNs we recommend above and still get this message, try the troubleshooting steps below.
Here’s how to bypass the Netflix proxy error:
- Ask your VPN provider which servers work with Netflix USA.
- Disable IPv6, especially if you’re on Windows 10 or newer.
- Log out of Google accounts, including Chrome browser. Google caches IP addresses and can reveal your real location to Netflix.
- Disable GPS and other location-based services. If you’ve allowed Netflix to see your location in the past, disable this permission in your device and/or browser settings. This will hide your location and force the service to rely on your IP address.
- Clear browser cache, cookies, and temporary files.
- Flush your DNS cache. In Windows, open Command Prompt in administrator mode and enter the command:
- Change your device’s time zone to the country where you’re trying to watch Netflix. The continental US spans UTC -4 to UTC -8.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the same VPN server location to get a different IP address that isn’t blacklisted by Netflix.
If you are still struggling after trying all that, contact your VPN provider’s customer support team for additional advice.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPNs for streaming Netflix abroad
It’s harder than you might expect to access regional Netflix catalogs outside of their intended countries. Luckily, despite the company’s best efforts, there are still a few major VPNs that can do so reliably. We used the criteria below to separate the best from the rest and identify the top VPNs for watching Netflix US as you travel:
- Suitable servers: We looked for US servers first since these provide the American IP address needed to change the Netflix region from Germany to the US. That said, some of our top VPNs redirect to the US catalog if you use a server from a country whose library it can’t access. This approach is preferable since it means you won’t have to rely on servers that are potentially very far away.
- High speeds: Netflix is one of the few major services that supports 4K streaming. The only issue is that this requires sustained speeds of 25 Mbps or higher. We’ve run hundreds of speed tests and can conclusively say that all of our top VPNs are fast enough for Netflix.
- Powerful security tools: Your security is extremely important, which is why we prioritize VPNs with no-logging policies. We also require them to have 256-bit encryption, protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, and a kill switch that stops sending data if your connection drops. This is just a baseline, though; additional tools are always welcome.
- Versatility: Our team checked to see whether these VPNs were able to access other content libraries as well as the US one, whether they permitted torrenting, and how well they performed for general web browsing. We also put them up against popular platforms like HBO Max, Sling TV, and YouTube TV to see if they could evade detection consistently.
- Price: We see a lot of VPNs, so it’s extremely obvious if a provider doesn’t have the features to back up its price tag. We’ll only recommend fairly-priced VPNs and will always let you know about deals, discounts, free trials, or money-back guarantees. This way, you’ll pay as little as possible every single time.
Looking to learn more about how we push potential recommendations to their limits? We actually have a post that explains exactly how our team tests VPNs.
Watching Netflix US in Germany: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
We’ve yet to find a free VPN that works reliably with Netflix. Furthermore, free VPNs tend to be less trustworthy and offer a poor user experience. They often impose data caps, bandwidth limits, and waiting queues. Many insert tracking cookies and advertisements into your web browser to make money, which is bad for your privacy. Some carry malware, while some free VPNs store your data to sell to third parties.
In short, we’d recommend avoiding free VPNs and opting for a reputable paid VPN, like the ones listed above, that offers a free trial or money-back guarantee.
Why can't I watch Netflix US from Germany?
Netflix must honor content licensing agreements with copyright holders to only stream videos in certain countries. It enforces those agreements by checking every user’s IP address every time they try to watch a video.
An IP address is a unique identifier made up of numbers and decimals. It can be used to approximate a device’s location and allow or disallow access to a video accordingly.
Using a VPN in Germany masks your real IP address with that of the VPN server, making it appear to Netflix as though you’re in another country, such as the USA. When you connect to a US VPN server, you regain access to the American Netflix library of shows and movies.
Unfortunately, Netflix has caught onto this tactic. While there’s no precedent of Netflix penalizing VPN users, it does blacklist many known VPN server IP addresses. That’s why most VPNs can’t get you into Netflix.
Is it legal to use a VPN to change my Netflix region?
Can I access other streaming services with a VPN?
The good news is that not only can you use the VPN services in this post to access Netflix USA from Germany, but other popular streaming platforms. All of them offer US IP addresses for accessing the likes of Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, and Hulu. Thanks to servers in other countries including the UK and Australia, it’s also possible to stream BBC iPlayer, Stan, and more.
Which Netflix US titles are blocked in Germany?
Due to licensing restrictions, some TV shows and movies that are available on American Netflix simply aren’t available to stream in Germany (unless you use a VPN to get a US IP address!). This includes the following titles:
- The Son
- Tom and Jerry Tales
- Conan the Destroyer
- Forged in Fire: Knife or Death
- Basketball Wives
- Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
- Big Brother