Good news for Potterheads: the Harry Potter films are on Netflix! You just need to know how to access them. Since Netflix uses geo-location filters, its content libraries are different depending on your location. Currently, Harry Potter is not available in the US library, however, it is available in Australia, Japan, and the UK! But if you’re not located in one of those three countries, don’t worry, you can still watch the Harry Potter films from anywhere, you just need a VPN.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) encrypt all internet traffic flowing to and from your device and route it via an intermediary server in the location of your choice. The encrypted tunnel is virtually unhackable, meaning neither Netflix nor your ISP can figure out what you’re up to online. And when you select a server in, let’s say, Australia, your IP address is switched to an Australian one. As a result, all host websites and apps you connect to assume you’re physically located in the country, and (just like magic) you can watch Harry Potter from anywhere.
In this article, we’ll talk you through exactly how to access the Harry Potter films on Netflix from anywhere with a VPN, and we’ll answer some of your common VPN questions too. Let’s get started!
How to watch Harry Potter on Netflix using a VPN
Harry Potter is not currently available on Netflix in the USA. This can be frustrating if you’re traveling and want to watch your favorite Potter installment. Don’t worry, though, simply follow the steps below, and you can change your Netflix region and be watching Harry Potter in no time.
Here’s how to watch Harry Potter on Netflix from anywhere in the world:
- Choose a suitable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, but Surfshark and ExpressVPN are strong alternatives. All our top recommended VPNs have servers in these locations and are proven to access a variety of Netflix libraries with ease.
- Download the relevant app for your device directly from the provider’s site or an official app marketplace.
- Once the installation is complete, clear your browser cache and cookies to remove old location identifiers. Restart your device.
- Connect to a VPN server in a country that has Harry Potter in its Netflix library. Currently, this is Australia, Japan, or the UK.
- Navigate to Netflix and log in with your existing Netflix account credentials. Note that you may need to try a few servers to unlock the Netflix library you want. If you need help finding the right one, you can contact your VPN’s customer support team and ask them to point you to a server that works with Netflix.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to keep streaming Harry Potter while abroad on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPN to watch Harry Potter: NordVPN
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice to watch Harry Potter online from anywhere in the world. The provider offers over 5,500 servers across the globe, including plenty of options in Australia, the UK, and Japan. It guards all web traffic with effectively-uncrackable encryption, along with additional security measures such as an internet kill switch, protection against DNS leaks, and its own anti-censorship NordLynx protocol. Fast speeds and reliable customer support are part of the package, and one account allows for up to five simultaneous connections.
NordVPN works with a large number of streaming platforms and can help you securely access Netflix from anywhere in the world.
For more details, check out our comprehensive NordVPN review.
Watching Harry Potter on Netflix: FAQs
Which Harry Potter movies are available on Netflix?
All of the Harry Potter movies listed below are available on Netflix in Australia, Japan, and UK.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (known as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the United States)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2)
Plus, Australia and UK have two of the three Fantastic Beasts films while Japan has all three.
Why isn't Harry Potter on my Netflix?
Netflix can only offer certain titles if it purchases the rights to do so, and these agreements usually last for a fixed period. This means that the places where they are available are subject to change – for instance, the Harry Potter franchise recently disappeared from Turkey’s Netflix but was added to Netflix UK.
This isn’t a huge problem, though if you have a VPN and the time to research where they are available, you can continue watching your favorite film series from anywhere.
Where else can I watch Harry Potter online?
There’s a different broadcaster for almost every country. That said, here’s a brief guide to streaming the Harry Potter movies online without Netflix:
- USA: All eight Harry Potter movies on Peacock. No subscription is required to watch the first movie.
- Canada: All eight movies are included on Crave. Seven-day free trial, afterward, costs $9.99 CAD per month.
- UK: Complete Harry Potter series is available on Now TV (£9.99 per month, seven-day free trial), including the eight original films and the three Fantastic Beasts films.
- Australia: All eight movies are on Binge ($10 AUD per month, following a two-week free trial). Or you can watch all eight movies and Fantastic Beasts: the Crimes of Grindlewald on Stan ($10 AUD per month following a 30-day free trial).
How can I watch Harry Potter for free?
Netflix no longer offers a free trial, which makes streaming Harry Potter for free a bit difficult. Really, it all depends on where else is showing these movies in your country and whether they have a trial period or not.
For instance, Australian fans can stream the whole series on Binge or Stan and cancel before their trial ends. British viewers can do the same on Now TV, whereas those in the US will have to use Peacock instead.
Is it illegal to watch Harry Potter on Netflix with a VPN?
It is not illegal to stream Harry Potter movies on Netflix with a VPN, although it may violate some of the terms in Netflix’s usage guidelines. VPNs are perfectly legal in most countries, depending on how you use them, but it’s worth checking local laws to be safe.
What else can I do with a VPN?
VPNs keep you safe and secure on the internet, comfortable in the knowledge that your digital footprint is far from prying eyes. This means hackers lurking on public wifi networks can’t view your information, and your online activity can’t be tracked by your internet service provider or government.
Other than Netflix, a VPN can help you securely access lots of popular streaming sites such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Adult Swim, and more. Additionally, VPNs are a great idea for accessing banking and financial products as you travel abroad. You can make it look as if you’re logging in from your home country, avoiding compliance red flags and possible fraud alerts.
See also: Best VPNs for Netflix