You’re jet-lagged in a foreign hotel room, miles away from home. All you want to do is unwind with your favorite Prime Video series. You eagerly click on the title, only to be met with a gut-wrenching message: “This video is currently unavailable.” Sound familiar? If you’re an international traveler, you know the agony of geo-restrictions. Those invisible boundaries fragment Prime Video’s content library from one country to another.
We get it, and we’ve felt your pain. That’s why we’ve meticulously researched and rigorously tested various solutions to crack this digital barrier. Forget about trawling forums for half-baked advice or risking malware with sketchy software. We’ve got the definitive answer to your woes, backed by exhaustive research.
The simplest and most effective way to fool Amazon into thinking you’re back in your cozy living room is to utilize a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This isn’t just tech talk; our tests show that using a VPN allows you to access your go-to movies and shows, no matter which corner of the globe you’re in. Stick around, and we’ll guide you through step-by-step how to get rid of: “This video is currently unavailable” from Amazon Prime.
How to resolve Amazon Prime errors with a VPN
VPNs can seem a little intimidating at first, but they’re much easier to use than you might think. Just follow the proven steps below to unblock Amazon Prime Video from anywhere in the world.
Here’s how to fix the Amazon Prime “this video is currently unavailable” error:
- First things first: you’ll have to register with a suitable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN but any of the services below will work great.
- Install the VPN app onto whichever device you use for streaming. Generally, five simultaneous connections are permitted, though the limit varies between providers.
- Log in and connect to a server in your home country. This will change your IP address, which is what Amazon Prime Video uses to determine your location.
- Clear your cookies if you’re watching in a browser or delete saved data if you’d prefer to use the mobile app. This forces Prime to forget your old location.
- Finally, try playing a video. In most cases, it should begin immediately. If you see a message saying “HTTP proxies and VPN connections not allowed. Your device is connected to the Internet using an HTTP proxy or a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection.”, we’d recommend contacting your VPN provider to find out which servers still work with Prime Video.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Amazon Prime Video with no restrictions for a month. This makes it easy to access your regular content library while traveling abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Which VPNs still work with Amazon Prime Video?
Most VPNs struggle to beat Prime Video’s strict geo-blocking, but the six below still work perfectly. From our real-world testing, here’s a brief overview of the best VPNs for resolving Prime Video errors:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for using Amazon Prime Video abroad. Blends steady speeds, excellent streaming potential, and strong security tools to create a fantastic everyday service. Also includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for Prime Video. Boasts excellent set of security tools, a no-logs policy, and consistently high speeds. Connect all of your devices simultaneously.
- ExpressVPN: A strong performer with easy-to-use apps, a real security focus, and 24/7 support. Works well with Prime Video, Netflix, and Hulu, to name but a few services.
- CyberGhost: Has specially optimized servers to help you access five popular Amazon libraries. Also offers pre-configured security features, a large network, and solid speeds.
- PrivateVPN: This zero-logs VPN puts your privacy above all else, but its speeds are nothing to sniff at either. No problems with Prime Video, but could do with having 24/7 live chat.
- Hotspot Shield: A beginner-friendly service with streaming-optimized servers that unblock Prime Video US and UK. Hotspot Shield is fast and secure, but doesn’t accept Bitcoin.
It’s not enough to find a VPN that works well with Amazon Prime Video; we also have to ensure that it’s fast, secure, and versatile enough to handle any other task you throw at it. With this in mind, we put together a list of key characteristics to help separate the best from the rest (more detail on these later):
- Must be able to unblock Prime Video and similar services abroad
- Has servers in dozens of countries to maximize its streaming potential
- Provides consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Keeps you safe using cutting-edge security tools
- Refuses to log any personally identifiable data
- Offers apps for a wide range of devices
Best VPN for fixing the Amazon Prime Video location error
Below and based on our experience, we’ll take a closer look at the best VPNs for accessing Prime Video abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our #1 choice for resolving Prime Video’s “video not available” error. It has more than 5,000 servers to choose from in 60 countries and is capable of unblocking just about any streaming service you’d care to use. Further, this is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, so you shouldn’t have any problems, even during peak times. There are no bandwidth limits and users can connect a maximum of six devices simultaneously.
This service uses 256-bit encryption to keep your activities private, but that’s far from all it has to offer. There’s also a customizable kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and automatic tracker-blocking. NordVPN has twice-verified its no-logs claims with independent auditors and recently made the switch to using diskless RAM servers, which ensures no data is stored locally. Live chat is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows. Those looking to protect a whole network can manually install this service onto a supported wireless router.
- Consistently high speeds
- Works with most streaming services we’ve tested
- Puts your privacy and security first
- Proven to keep no logs
- Provides around the clock support
- Desktop apps take two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR FIXING PROXY ERRORS:NordVPN is our top choice. Not only is it great for streaming, it boasts a top-tier security offering and a verified no-logs policy. As if that wasn’t enough, this service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it risk-free.
Why not check out the full NordVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best budget option for streaming Amazon Prime Video abroad. In fact, with more than 3,000 servers spread across 65 countries, it’s a solid choice for anyone looking to stream, torrent, or browse the web safely. Best of all, this low-cost provider offers exceptionally high speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Its users are free to connect as many devices as they like too, which is something very few other VPNs can say.
Surfshark has its own MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS apps. It also provides manual configuration instructions for routers to help you automatically secure any device on a given network.
- One of the fastest VPNs on the market
- Unblocks Prime Video and other streaming channels
- Includes a wealth of security tools
- No-logs policy, Bitcoin accepted
- Secure all of your devices at once
- Nested settings menus make finding specific options difficult
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our first pick for anyone on a budget. With exceptionally high speeds, impeccable security and privacy credentials, and no connection limit, there really isn’t much more you could ask for. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more info, read our complete Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a veteran provider that offers access to more than 3,000 servers in a whopping 94 countries. Not only that, but it’s known for its high speeds and strong unblocking ability, which make it a natural choice for anyone looking to stream Amazon Prime Video on vacation. Have other activities in mind? No problem: there are no bandwidth restrictions and torrenting is allowed on every server. Up to five devices can be connected at the same time.
This provider has a few tricks up its sleeve when it comes to security. For instance, it’s able to block access to local devices on the network, or let specific apps pass through the VPN entirely. There’s also 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (which it calls “Network Lock”) and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could lead back to you, but you can pay in Bitcoin if you’re concerned about anonymity. Additionally, 24/7 support is included in your subscription; just reach out over email or live chat.
ExpressVPN offers apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. Unlike its competitors, it also has custom firmware, making it much easier to install on routers. This actually just saw a major upgrade, resulting in higher speeds and a better overall user experience so there’s never been a better time to try it out.
- Quick and reliable connections
- Covers more countries than any other major provider
- Good streaming abilities
- Strong security and privacy features
- Costs slightly more than others in this list
SPEEDY AND SECURE:ExpressVPN is a highly-versatile service that works well with Prime Video, Netflix, and HBO Max. It offers a solid set of security features and doesn’t compromise on speed. Additionally, this VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Still have questions? Find answers in the full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it easy to regain access to your home Amazon library while traveling. It does this by providing specific servers designed to unblock the German, Italian, French, British, and American versions of Prime Video. Of course, there are 7,000+ general-usage servers in 91 countries as well, and all of the ones we’ve tested are fast enough for HD streaming. Seven devices can be secured simultaneously per account.
This VPN keeps things simple by enabling most of its security features automatically. These include a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a tool that blocks ads, trackers, and malware. The app can also connect via a random port, which might help you use it in airports or hotels, which tend to block anything other than HTTP traffic. CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable data and provides 24/7 live chat in case you run into trouble.
CyberGhost provides Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Select routers are supported too, but you’ll have to configure the service for these manually.
- Can access five Amazon Prime Video libraries
- Thousands of fast servers around the world
- Strong security offering with most tools enabled by default
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Settings may be too simplistic for power users
IDEAL FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost unblocks versions of Prime Video that most other VPNs can’t. Better still, because of its special streaming servers, there’s no trial and error involved. What’s more, it has lots of security tools, 24/7 support, and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network of around 200 servers in 63 countries but it boasts extremely high speeds. What’s more, it’s able to unblock just about every streaming platform we’ve tested it with, not just Amazon Prime Video. There are no bandwidth limits and up to six simultaneous connections are allowed at once, so it’s clear that this is a highly-versatile VPN that’s well worth your time.
This provider’s security toolkit includes 256-bit encryption (with the option to drop this to 128-bits for higher speeds), a kill switch, and leak protection, as well as a stealth mode for bypassing online censorship. PrivateVPN follows a true no-logs policy and clearly values your privacy, having recently become its own ISP and server host with the express goal of preventing any third party from ever having access to your traffic. You can get help via email or live chat, and while this isn’t quite 24/7, it is available most hours of the day.
PrivateVPN comes with apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Manual setup guides for Linux systems and supported routers can be found in the support section of the service’s website.
- Boasts impressive speeds
- Happily unblocks all manner of streaming services
- Goes above and beyond on privacy
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
- Small but growing network of servers
FLAWLESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a particularly fast VPN with no bandwidth limit, no logs, and no problem unblocking popular streaming services abroad. It’s one of the best around for security and even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more, check out our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has over 1,800 servers in 80+ countries, some of which are specially configured to help you access British and American streaming services. This includes both countries’ versions of Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, plus Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+. With steady speeds, no bandwidth restrictions, and up to five simultaneous connections permitted, this is a solid choice for any international traveler.
As well as 256-bit AES encryption, this service offers a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a feature that connects automatically whenever you use an unsecured network. There’s also a proprietary anti-censorship protocol named Catapult Hydra, though later versions support IKEv2 connections as well. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs beyond the duration of your session. Thanks to this provider’s 24/7 support desk, you’re never more than a few minutes away from getting help. Staff can be reached via email or live chat.
Hotspot Shield has apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux. It’s possible to manually install this VPN on a supported router instead if you’d prefer.
- Has UK and US streaming servers
- Steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Strong focus on security
- Users can’t register anonymously
- Had past privacy issues
WATCH PRIME VIDEO ANYWHERE:Hotspot Shield has streaming-optimized servers that work flawlessly with Prime Video. Of course, it also offers steady speeds, a good set of security tools, and a no-logs policy. A generous 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Why not read our in-depth Hotspot Shield review?
Our Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for fixing Prime Video errors
Some VPNs are a better choice for unblocking Prime Video than others. In fact, a great many services will simply be caught up in Amazon’s VPN-detection filter and won’t let you watch at all. To make sure we only recommend the best-available services, we identified a few key things that all of the VPNs above must offer:
- Unblocking ability: First, the services we recommend must be able to access Prime Video abroad. To see how well-suited they are for streaming in general, we also try them with platforms like HBO Max, Peacock, and YouTube TV
- Server choice: While Prime Video is available in multiple countries, the US and UK libraries are the most popular, so servers in these locations are a must. Bonus points for having lots to choose from, or for having servers specifically dedicated to unblocking Amazon Prime Video
- Performance: We regularly test major VPN providers to see which offer the highest speeds. If a service has too much of an impact on your connection, we simply won’t recommend it
- Security and privacy: As a starting point, we look for 256-bit encryption, leak protection, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy. Naturally, we’d prefer to see providers offer more advanced security tools such as stealth modes, split tunneling, or custom protocols
- Ease of use: Everyone should be able to protect themselves online, which is why we put such high stock into well-organized, novice-friendly apps. If a provider removes its connection limit and offers 24/7 live chat to make things easier, that’s even better
- Cost-effectiveness: We spend a great deal of time researching available discounts, trials, and guarantees so that you never have to pay more than is necessary. This makes it easy to identify (and discard) providers trying to charge a higher price than is fair
Interested in learning more? We actually have a full post detailing our VPN testing methods.
Streaming Amazon Prime Video with a VPN: FAQs
Will Amazon ban my account for using a VPN?
Although Amazon tries to prevent you from using Prime Video while connected to a VPN, it won’t actually ban you for doing so. After all, these are legitimate privacy tools used by millions around the world. Instead, you’ll simply see an error message asking you to disconnect from your VPN or proxy service before trying to stream.
Of course, given that several major VPN providers are able to reliably evade Amazon’s detection, there’s a solid chance things won’t even get this far.
Can I create a US Amazon account from abroad?
Amazon has a couple of different types of geo-blocking. To begin with, it checks your IP address to see which country’s version of the store to direct you to. You’ll also notice that accounts are region-specific; in other words, you can’t sign into Amazon US with an Amazon UK account.
If you connect to an American VPN server, you can bypass Amazon’s first layer of region-locking and create a US Amazon account from abroad. However, this is a whole lot of work since it’s a multi-step process where you have to provide lots of information including a valid US address and phone number.
Really, the potential uses for this are few and far between. Americans traveling in other countries could use this method to sign up for Amazon immediately rather than waiting until they return home. It’s theoretically possible to access another country’s library this way too, but there are almost certainly easier ways to watch whatever show you’re looking for.
Do any free VPNs work with Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video has particularly powerful VPN-detection features, and as a result, many paid providers have difficulty accessing it abroad. As you might expect, this means that the chances of a free VPN successfully unblocking Prime Video are near zero. To date, we have yet to find a wholly free VPN that works reliably with this service. On the plus side, many paid VPNs offer a money-back guarantee, which effectively lets you try them for free.