Crunchyroll is a popular video streaming site for users looking to stream anime flicks and other East Asian content including music, manga, and electronic entertainment. The company is headquartered in the US – technically the site is accessible from anywhere in the world but geo-restrictions apply in terms of the content library that’s available to each user.
Using a VPN with Crunchyroll will allow you to access a lot more titles. For example, the US has the biggest catalog of titles and other titles are only available in certain countries. A VPN will allow you to access your favorite titles from anywhere, however, not all VPNs work with Crunchyroll.
If you haven’t got the time to want to read the rest of this article, here’s our list of the best VPNs that will unblock Crunchyroll:
- NordVPN Our #1 pick! Blazing fast speeds and super strong security. Unblocks geo-restricted sites with ease. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN Unblocks Crunchyroll from anywhere with fast servers that are fine-tuned for speedy streaming. Top privacy and security features.
- CyberGhost Best budget choice. Fast and easy to set up and use. Secure and reliable.
- IPVanish Prefered by Kodi users for the remote-friendly app. Won’t work in China.
- VyprVPN Easy to use, secure and hits good speeds. Cheaper options on this list.
- ZenMate Capable of HD streaming with Crunchyroll, but concerns about DNS leaks during testing.
- Hotspot Shield Provides exceptional speeds and unblocking ability. User-friendly apps and strong security.
Some of the more popular titles in Crunchyroll’s library are classics like Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Super, and Attack on Titan. The company boasts that episodes come online within 1 hour of being broadcast in Japan.
But the largest library of Crunchyroll’s content is in the US. It is possible to sign up from anywhere in the world, turn on your VPN, and get the premium service.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and tunnels it via an intermediary server outside your current location. Hence if you’re in Europe all you need to do is sign up for a VPN, choose a server in the US, and all of Crunchyroll’s content will appear. This works by the VPN assigning you a US IP address so you appear to be in America. A VPN also makes it very difficult for ISPs, hackers, and surveillance agencies to monitor your internet behavior due to encryption.
Signing up for and using a VPN is perfectly legal. Millions of people around the world exercise this right and they’re not breaking any laws by doing so.
How to watch Crunchyroll from anywhere
Never used a VPN before? Don’t worry, just follow the steps below to access the full library of Crunchyroll from anywhere.
Here’s how to watch Crunchyroll online abroad (outside the US):
- Sign up for one of the VPN providers mentioned in this list (we recommend NordVPN) and subscribe to a plan that is best suited for your requirements
- Once that’s done, download the apps for your phone or PC / Macbook directly from the site
- Clear your cookies and cache to remove old location identifiers. Restart your device
- Login to the VPN app and select a server in the US
- Wait for a connection to be established – this is usually indicated by a green light in your taskbar or at the top of your smartphone screen
- Open your phone or browser and use Crunchyroll normally
What’s the best VPN for Crunchyroll?
In this section, we’ll take you through a list of what we think are the best VPNs that will work flawlessly with Crunchyroll. They’re ranked on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- Large number of server locations in the US
- Strong encryption standards
- Ability to unblock restricted content
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a Crunchyroll VPN. It beat all competitors in our speed tests and provides excellent privacy and security. It operates a huge network of over 5,500 servers in 59 countries, with more than 1,700 in the US alone. Aside from Crunchyroll, NordVPN can help you unblock a ton of other sites including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as for Linux, Windows, and MacOS. Support is available via 24/7 live chat should you need any help.
- Unblocks Crunchyroll
- Exceptional speeds
- Over 1,500 servers in the US can unblock just about anything
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Great for privacy-conscious users with no logs and Bitcoin payments
- Support staff are helpful and knowledgeable
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unable to select which specific server you want to connect to
BEST VPN FOR CRUNCHYROLL:NordVPN is our top choice. Pegs the fastest speeds we’ve seen and works reliably with Crunchyroll. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it a risk-free option.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers a fast, efficient, and robust product. Rigid encryption protocols mean your data should remain protected. The provider doesn’t compromise on speed either – it’s able to stream HD video without any problems. Currently, there are 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries to choose from, including 32 locations in the US. So it shouldn’t be a problem to find a speedy connection to stream Crunchyroll.
There’s no storage of any traffic logs so privacy concerns can be put to rest. Encryption standards are top-notch. The provider utilizes 256-bit AES-CBC as its default encryption protocol as well as both HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. An internet kill switch is included – this feature temporarily halts all web traffic if the connection drops.
There are apps for both Android and iOS, making it possible to stream Crunchyroll directly on your phone. Desktop apps for Linux, Windows, and MacOS are included.
- Fast servers are great for streaming in HD quality
- Servers in 21 US cities can unblock geo-restricted content from almost anywhere
- High-grade encryption, online security, and privacy throughout
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Slightly more pricey than other services
GREAT PERFORMANCE:ExpressVPN has a vast global server network optimized for high-speed connections. User-friendly apps for all operating systems. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a reliable VPN provider – its primary value proposition is the fact that it’s not pricey and delivers a product that’s speedy, stable, and secure. Currently, it offers over 5,700 servers in 90 countries and operates more than 1100 servers in the US so accessing Crunchyroll shouldn’t be a problem. CyberGhost allows users to select a server specifically for video streaming, which makes it ideal to access Crunchyroll.
The company says clearly that it doesn’t log user behavior and browsing habits. Furthermore, it’s headquartered in Romania which means it isn’t subject to any mandatory data retention laws.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop software for Windows, MacOS and Linux.
Its choice of encryption protocols propels it into the upper-tier of VPNs. It uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. An internet kill switch is included.
- Our tests revealed above-average HD streaming speeds
- No issues unblocking Crunchyroll from all our test locations
- Over 700 servers in the US get around most geo-restrictions.
- Apps are easy to use and great for new users
- Good security and they don’t store user activity logs
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
BEST BUDGET VPN:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Comes with a Speed Boost feature. Good on privacy. Streams HD video reliably. Unblocks Crunchyroll and most other streaming sites. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish can be categorized as another premium VPN service. Speeds are excellent and encryption standards in the first tier. It is headquartered in the US, which might alarm some users, but we haven’t noticed any instances of the provider handing over user data. Its internal policy of zero data storage is another compelling factor to opt for the service.
IPVanish is a solid choice if you’re looking to stream video – most of its servers are designed to optimize speed and stability of connection. A total of 1,200 servers are spread across the globe. The US has the largest share with around 600 or almost 42 percent.
As we’ve mentioned before, encryption standards are premium. The service uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy.
There are apps for both iOS and Android as well as desktop software for Windows and MacOS.
Many users find it an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- With around 600 US servers it can unblock just about any streaming site in HD speeds
- The interface is easy to use with Kodi and other Android-based media systems.
- Strong on privacy and security
- Keeps no logs, has an automatic kill switch and wifi protection
- Claims 24/7 support, but tickets can take one or two days.
- Look elsewhere if you need to use apps in China
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers and handles multiple connections well. Easy to use and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Can’t unblock as many streaming services as some of its rivals. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN has a bit of a data logging policy – it records “the user’s source IP address, the VyprVPN IP address used by the user, connection start and stop time, and total number of bytes used.” But this shouldn’t trouble users – there’s nothing on the internet which suggests VyprVPN has misused data in the past or willingly collaborated with authorities.
The provider adds that all information is stored only for 30 days and used to improve the product. Its robust encryption standards make it extremely difficult for malicious entities to snoop on your data in the first place.
All traffic is secured by the OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys without perfect forward secrecy, and SHA256 authentication. An internet kill switch is included.
For an additional fee, subscribers can opt to use the Chameleon ™ protocol. This feature further obfuscates your connection, making it immensely difficult for your ISP to figure out that you’re using a VPN to scour the web.
There are over 700 servers spread across the globe with a large number present in the United States.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as a desktop client for Windows and MacOS.
- Fast speeds are perfect for streaming
- Operates multiple servers in 8 major US cities
- Privacy and security features won’t let you down
- Cheaper providers higher on the list
- No cryptocurrency payment options
UNLIMITED DATA USAGE:VyprVPN is user friendly. Speeds were surprisingly good for the cheaper end of the market. Could do with more servers and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of VyprVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 days
ZenMate offers a larger network of servers and better encryption standards than its free Chrome VPN extension. There’s a 14-day money-back guarantee as well so you can try out the service and see if it works for you before settling.
Global server locations total 1,000 including many in the US, but the exact number isn’t specified.
The service uses 128-bit AES encryption in conjunction with 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA 256 for authentication. An internet kill switch is included. These are considered adequate, so no worries on this front.
One thing to consider is that the service did display some DNS leaks during our user review. That’s troubling from a privacy angle – but as we mentioned before, you can try before you buy.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS.
- Works fine with Crunchyroll and can some other popular streaming sites
- Strong online security features, including automatic kill-switch
- Plenty of reliable streaming optimized servers in the US
- We got some DNS leaks during our testing
- Email-only support
- Won’t unblock as many US streaming sites as other providers higher on the list
EASY SET UP:ZenMate is easy to install. Great for Crunchyroll and even unblocks Netflix in most regions. Not the fastest choice on this list, but can stream in HD quality. 14-day money-back guarantee
Read our full review of ZenMate.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to more than 3,000 servers spread across 70+ countries and lets you use services like Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and Crunchyroll from anywhere in the world. Crunchyroll has blacklisted certain servers, but when you find one that works, you’ll be able to watch in the highest-possible quality thanks to this VPN’s exceptional speeds. Up to five simultaneous connections are permitted.
This VPN keeps your online activities private using 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS leaks, and a kill switch that stops all data transferal whenever you lose your connection suddenly. It also offers the option to automatically connect any time you use an unsecured network. More importantly, Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any personally identifiable information after your session has ended. If you run into any problems, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
- Unblocks a wide range of popular streaming platforms
- Strong on security
- Very high speeds make it ideal for streaming
- Past privacy issues
- No Linux support
- Some servers are blacklisted
QUALITY STREAMING:Hotspot Shield manages to provide blisteringly high speeds without compromising on your security. What’s more, it easily unblocks services like Crunchyroll and Netflix from abroad. There’s even a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot shield review.
Some VPNs to avoid
When users sign up for a VPN, they’re assuming that the provider will zealously guard their data and privacy. After all, that’s one of the core use cases of a VPN in the first place – the fact that your digital footprint is largely hidden on the web.
The VPNs that we’ve recommended in this list don’t have a history of carrying out any sordid acts, but not all companies are born equal. Here are a few we think you should avoid at all costs:
Israel-based Hola, which operated a peer-to-peer VPN extension for Chrome, once had a sizable community of 50 million users. But it chose to undo all the good work by unethically (and probably illegally) turning it into a massive botnet army.
If you were a Hola user, then it’s likely that a part of your bandwidth was used for Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, promoting copyrighted content, and pornography.
Some media reports a couple of months ago reported that a well-known provider, PureVPN, willingly handed over some user data to US law enforcement agencies. This was done as part of an investigation into a credible case of online blackmailing and led to the arrest of Massachusetts resident Ryan Lin.
PureVPN insists that it didn’t track the content of Ryan’s browsing data and only handed over the source IP address but the company could definitely have been more transparent.
Crunchyroll VPNs FAQs
Should I use a free VPN for Crunchyroll?
Some users will be tempted to sign up for a free VPN. Such services are heavily advertised on the web and usually allow you to sign up without a credit card. But there are some risks you should be aware of.
Free VPN services routinely deploy weak encryption standards, painfully slow speeds, and an ongoing threat of viruses/malware infections. Such companies try to attract as many users as possible in order to make a quick buck via invasive advertisements or other unethical practices such as mining your data.
We believe it’s best if you ignore such scams. If you’re short on cash, check out our list of the best VPNs with a free trial.
What else can I do with a VPN?
We’ve written this article to show how it’s possible to access Crunchyroll’s entire library from anywhere in the world, but that’s not the only thing a paid subscription to a VPN has to offer.
VPNs spoof your identity and make host websites assume you’re located somewhere else. When you select a server in the United States, all websites you visit will now assume you’re physically present there. This will result in a bunch of other geo-restricted content opening up too - such as Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and ESPN.
We recommend you use a VPN for everyday web browsing as well. The software encrypts all the traffic flowing through your device - this is useful in the world we live today where individual privacy is increasingly under threat and governments and ISPs resort to lurid means to hack into user data. VPNs will allay these threats to a significant degree.
Is Crunchyroll free?
Yes, you can watch most Crunchyroll content for free! However, it’s worth knowing that watching for free means lower resolution streams as well as ads. If you don’t like the sound of that, there are various Premium Plans to choose from. These offer multiple benefits including no ads, unlimited access to the entire Crunchyroll library, and new episodes just one hour after their Japanese premiere.
What is the best anime on Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll offers hundreds of anime shows and it’s obviously a matter of opinion as to which is the best. However, some animes prove to be much more popular than others. With this in mind, here’s a short list of what we feel is the best anime on Crunchyroll:
- My Hero Academia
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Fire Force
- Hunter x Hunter
- How to watch Rakuten TV (outside Japan)
- How to legally watch anime on Kodi
- How to install the Crunchyroll Kodi addon.
- How to watch Crunchyroll from anywhere
- What’s the best VPN for Crunchyroll?
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. ExpressVPN
- 3. CyberGhost
- 4. IPVanish
- 5. VyprVPN
- 6. ZenMate
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- Some VPNs to avoid
- Crunchyroll VPNs FAQs
- Should I use a free VPN for Crunchyroll?
- What else can I do with a VPN?
- Is Crunchyroll free?
- What is the best anime on Crunchyroll?