If you’re traveling outside the Netherlands, you’ll find that most Dutch streaming platforms are inaccessible. This is because they’re geo-blocked for copyright and licensing reasons. In this guide, we’ll show you a simple trick to bypass those restrictions and watch Dutch TV abroad with the help of a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) gives you privacy by concealing your IP address from the websites you visit. This privacy feature also allows you to spoof your location and appear to be in a different country. This means when you connect to a VPN server in Holland, you get a Dutch IP address, which lets you stream Dutch TV from anywhere in the world. That said, there is one caveat. Not all VPNs can unblock popular Dutch TV and streaming platforms like NPO, RTL, Ketnet, Canvas, Eén, Nos, NLZiet, AT5, Videoland, and Ziggo GO. This means you must pick a VPN carefully to avoid wasting your money.
In this guide, we list the best VPNs for Dutch TV and explain how to use them to unblock Dutch internet services and TV streams. Later, we’ll provide detailed mini-reviews to help you pick between each service, but for anybody short on time, we have included a quick list below.
Best VPNs for Dutch TV:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Dutch TV. 200+ servers in the Netherlands. Unblocks Dutch services such as Eén. No-logs provider with 24/7 support and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Dutch TV.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Watch Dutch TV such as NPO and RTL abroad. Very strong security with a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 live chat support.
- ExpressVPN: Unblocks NPO and RTL channels. Very fast and reliable. Highly secure with encryption. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps.
- CyberGhost: Over 9,000 servers worldwide and over 300 in Holland. Unlimited bandwidth for watching NPO1. Strong security with a no-logs policy and encryption.
- IPVanish: Use on all of your devices at once. Works with Dutch TV channels, Canvas, and Ketnet. Consistent speeds for lag-free streaming. Uses encryption to keep your data secure.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast speeds for watching RTL 4 outside the Netherlands. Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile. A no-logs policy protects your privacy.
- AtlasVPN: Servers in 40+ countries, including Holland. Allows unlimited connections. Has 24/7 customer support.
- Private Internet Access: Strong encryption, network kill switch, 10,000+ servers, and unlimited device connections.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use our #1 VPN for Dutch TV with no restrictions whatsoever for a month—great if you want to stream your favorite TV shows on vacation outside of Holland.
There are no hidden terms—just tell customer support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and they'll issue a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Dutch TV abroad with a VPN
Not sure how to go about using a VPN to watch Dutch TV overseas? Don’t worry! We’ll take you through the quick and easy process step-by-step.
Here’s how to watch Dutch TV online from abroad:
- Start by signing up with a reputable VPN service that offers servers in the Netherlands. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download the appropriate VPN app and complete the installation process.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the Netherlands. This is how you will obtain a Dutch IP address for unblocking Dutch TV abroad.
- Go to a Dutch TV platform or streaming service and select your preferred content. You should now be able to watch without any problems.
- If you still can’t watch Dutch TV outside the Netherlands, clear your browser’s cache and cookies before refreshing the page.
The best VPNs for Dutch TV: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Dutch TV.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Dutch TV||1||2||3||4||5||6||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||Avg Speed (Europe)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 82% + Get 4 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a two year plan + 12-months free
Best VPNs for Dutch TV
There are many VPNs with servers in the Netherlands, but that doesn’t mean they are all capable of accessing popular Dutch streaming services. To help you out, we have devised a scientific VPN testing methodology to ensure we only recommend VPN providers that are up to the job.
We narrowed down the options by looking for VPNs that offer the following features:
- High-speed servers in the Netherlands
- Strong unblocking ability for watching Dutch TV abroad
- Protects your privacy with a no-logs policy
- Secures your data with high-end encryption
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Support via live chat and email (preferably 24/7)
You can read about our testing process in more detail in the methodology section below, but for now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made the grade.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for watching Dutch TV online from abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our number-one VPN for accessing Dutch TV from anywhere. It’s extremely fast and has over 200 servers in the Netherlands, making it a brilliant choice if you want to watch Dutch TV in the US or anywhere else abroad. In fact, with over 5,500 servers worldwide, you can use this VPN to watch the likes of NPO2, Eén, and Netflix. If you’d like to secure multiple devices, it’s worth knowing that NordVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections.
Another advantage of NordVPN is its comprehensive security. It follows a strict no-logs policy and offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. You can also connect to different types of servers for extra security. Double VPN servers encrypt your internet traffic twice, while Tor over VPN servers route you through the Onion network and the VPN. If you have any questions, NordVPN offers 24/7 live chat support.
Connect to a NordVPN server in the Netherlands via its apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN can also be used with select routers, but this requires manual configuration.
- Very high speeds
- Works with the likes of NPO1, RTL4, and Eén
- Operates a strict no-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Lots of security features, including encryption and Double VPN
- Knowledgeable customer support is available 24/7 via live chat
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Takes two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR DUTCH TV:NordVPN has over 200 servers in the Netherlands. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming. Fast servers. Works with Canvas, Ketnet, RTL 4, and Netflix. No-logs service with Double VPN and obfuscation. Also offers 24/7 support. A 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has recently expanded its network of servers, taking the total to approximately 3,200 across 100 countries. This includes servers in the Netherlands for unblocking and watching Dutch TV abroad. Further, this VPN is one of the fastest we’ve tested, thanks to its WireGuard implementation.
All servers are P2P-friendly, but you can connect to a MultiHop (Double VPN) server should you want an extra layer of encryption. Plus, Surfshark is ideal for families as it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
This VPN is beginner-friendly, with easy-to-use apps and 24/7 live chat and email support. Additionally, it comes with a wealth of security features, including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, where it isn’t subject to mandatory data retention laws. It operates a strict no-logs policy and even blocks ads, trackers, and malware with its CleanWeb feature.
Signing up for Surfshark allows you access to its apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are available for both Chrome and Firefox. Compatible routers require manual configuration.
- Lets you stream Dutch TV, including NPO and RTL channels
- Fast enough for HD live streaming
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Packed with security features, including Double VPN servers
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark has a very attractive price point and unblocks NPO1 and NPO2 with ease. Reliable connections for lag-free streaming. Excellent, user-friendly apps and 24/7 live chat support. No-logs service with Double VPN servers and an ad blocker. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has a network of over 3,000 servers which are located across 94 countries – far more than most VPNs. This includes the Netherlands, where you’ll find servers in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hague. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth make for stress-free streaming of Dutch TV. Indeed, ExpressVPN works with Dutch channels, including NPO1 and RTL 4, as well as international streaming services, such as Netflix.
When you use ExpressVPN, you can secure up to five devices at once. You’ll also have access to user-friendly apps and browser extensions, as well as 24/7 support over live chat and email. ExpressVPN takes your security seriously and doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified or tracked. There’s 256-bit AES encryption to keep your data secure, plus a kill switch and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks.
Watch Dutch TV abroad by connecting to ExpressVPN’s apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. You can also download custom firmware for routers and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Lots of fast servers in the Netherlands for watching Dutch TV
- Unblocks NPO and RTL channels, among others
- Excellent, user-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Very strong security with encryption and kill switch
- 24/7 live customer support
- Quite expensive compared to most VPNs
- Lack of configuration options for advanced users
STEADY SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is fast and reliable, plus it unblocks the likes of NPO1 and RTL 4. Use it on up to five devices at once. Includes 24/7 live chat support. Secure with high-end encryption and a kill switch. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is constantly adding new servers, making it one of the fastest-growing VPNs on the market. It has approximately 9,000 servers in 91 countries, some 300+ of which are in Amsterdam. High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth allow you to stream Dutch TV, such as Canvas and RTL 5, lag-free from anywhere. What’s more, this VPN lets you secure up to seven devices simultaneously.
With the CyberGhost apps, you can connect to a server with just one click. There’s also live chat and email support, which is available 24/7. One of the main reasons to choose CyberGhost is for the excellent privacy protection it provides. You will get 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. Furthermore, CyberGhost has a strict no-logs policy which means it never knows what you’re doing online.
Get a Dutch IP address by connecting to one of the following CyberGhost apps: Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You can also use browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for use with compatible routers.
- Over 9,000 servers worldwide, including 300+ in the Netherlands
- Unlimited bandwidth means lag-free streaming of Dutch TV
- Highly secure with strict no-logs policy and encryption
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- Better suited to beginners than power users
SPEED AND SECURITY:CyberGhost offers high-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth for watching Dutch TV such as NPO1 abroad. Highly secure thanks to high-end encryption and strict no-logs policy. Use on up to seven devices. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish lets you connect as many devices as you like via a single account. This makes it a good choice for sharing with family. It has around 2,000 servers across dozens of countries and offers around 70 servers in Amsterdam. This VPN stands out for its exceptionally high speeds, which make it ideal for streaming Dutch TV abroad. In fact, you’ll be able to watch NPO3 and Ketnet live without having to worry about being interrupted by buffering or lag.
When you connect to an IPVanish server, your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. You’re also protected from DNS leaks, while a kill switch ensures your internet traffic is cut should the VPN connection unexpectedly drop. As such, you’re protected from hackers and snoopers and can even use public Wi-Fi hotspots without concern. Last but not least, the IPVanish zero-logs policy allows you to stay anonymous while browsing the web.
IPVanish apps are available for desktop (Windows and MacOS), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV. Manual setup is required for use with Linux and routers.
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Canvas and Ketnet
- Lets you secure any number of devices at once
- Keeps your data secure with high-end encryption
- Zero-logs policy means your personal information stays private
- No option to pay in cryptocurrency
- Doesn’t offer an app for Linux
CONSISTENT STREAMING:IPVanish is fast and has unlimited bandwidth for consistent, lag-free streaming of Dutch TV. Unblocks Canvas and Ketnet. No connection limits. Includes 24/7 support and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN stands out for its fast connections, which are perfect for streaming Dutch TV. Although this VPN service has a smaller network of servers than some of its rivals, these are located in 63 countries, including the Netherlands. Further, it boasts excellent unblocking abilities, meaning you can watch all NPO and RTL channels abroad, as well as international streaming services such as Disney+. This VPN has also recently increased its connection limit from six devices to 10.
Aside from offering fast speed, PrivateVPN has strong security in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, which protects your data from hackers and snoopers. Further security features include DNS leak protection and a kill switch feature. With a no-logs policy, PrivateVPN can’t share any of your personal details with anyone because it simply doesn’t know what you’re doing online. Live chat support is available, as is remote help and installation.
User-friendly PrivateVPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. You can also use this VPN with Linux and select routers by following manual setup instructions.
- Fast servers for streaming without lag and buffering
- Works well with lots of Dutch TV channels, such as NPO1
- Can be used on as many as 10 devices at once
- Fewer servers in each location than some competitors
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
USER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is fast and unblocks many popular Dutch TV channels including Eén and RTL 5. User-friendly apps and live chat support. Secure up to 10 devices at once. Security includes a no-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is an excellent option for anybody wanting to watch Dutch TV abroad. It offers servers in the Netherlands that work to watch popular streaming platforms like NPO, RTL, Ketnet, Canvas, Eén, Videoland, Ziggo GO, and others. It also works with international services like Hulu, Netflix US, and BBC iPlayer.
The VPN is ideal for streaming because it comes with WireGuard by default, a protocol that is designed for fast speeds. It also has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android – to let you watch Dutch TV on any device. Best of all, you can use it on an unlimited number of devices, which means you can share your account with friends and family as much as you like.
In terms of privacy, this VPN has a solid no-logs policy. It also comes with a nice choice of advanced features, including split tunneling, malware filtering, ad blocking, multi-hop connections, and solid AES encryption. You can try it out using its 30-day money-back guarantee. And, once you are a member, you get excellent 24/7 live chat support.
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Supports WireGuard
- Unlimited connection limit
- Small selection of servers versus other VPNs
- Canceling is trickier than it needs to be
MALWARE AND AD-BLOCKING:AtlasVPN has servers in 40+ countries and comes with AES encryption, a no-logs policy, and completely unlimited device connections. Also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it out risk-free.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access includes servers in over 80 countries worldwide. That includes servers in the Netherlands, which are perfect for obtaining a Dutch IP address. PIA works with Netflix and Prime Video, though this can sometimes be inconsistent. HD and 4K streaming is made possible thanks to its use of Wireguard, which gives a speed boost to gaming and streaming activities. PIA doesn’t collect logs and is based in the United States. No logs mean your activities are kept out of sight of ISPs and internet hackers.
PIA lets you tailor your encryption settings, increasing or decreasing security as needed. It offers AES encryption, the military’s standard, to protect connections. It has a built-in network kill switch, ad blocking, malware blocking, plus split tunneling.
All plans include an unlimited device connection limit, desktop and mobile apps, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Apps available for both Android and iOS devices
- Operates over 10,000 servers in 80+ countries
- Can connect unlimited devices at the same time
- Unblocking can be inconsistent
- No Smart DNS support
- App design is a little lacking
UNLIMITED DEVICE CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access has customizable encryption, 10,000+ servers, and 24/7 live chat support. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Watching Dutch TV with a free VPN
The online platforms of most Dutch TV channels aren’t particularly difficult to unblock outside the Netherlands. However, you will find that free VPNs struggle to securely access streaming services with strict anti-VPN measures, such as Netflix and DAZN. Furthermore, free VPNs typically have only a small network of servers, making it a challenge to stream geo-restricted content in many countries.
Aside from issues of unblocking content, free VPNs also have performance problems. This is particularly noticeable when streaming. Slow speeds and limited bandwidth means you’ll encounter a lot of lag and buffering. Security may also be problematic, particularly if the free VPN you use doesn’t secure your data with encryption. Indeed, you may even find that it logs your data (such as your browsing history) and sells it to third parties.
For these reasons, we don’t recommend using them and would suggest opting for a quality paid VPN instead. See our list of the best VPNs for Holland for some recommendations.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for the Netherlands
There are lots of important things to consider when shopping for a streaming VPN. You have to know that it’s fast enough for live TV, for instance, and that it’ll be able to evade detection by increasingly-advanced VPN-detection systems. We ensured that only the best services made the cut by filtering out candidates using the criteria below:
- Dutch servers: Naturally, we’ll require these to get a Dutch IP address. Still, we look for providers with lots of servers to choose from, preferably spread across several cities. This way, you won’t have to rely on ones that are far from your actual location.
- High speeds: Streaming can be pretty data-intensive, especially if you want to watch in 4K. We only recommend VPNs that performed well in our latest speed tests, so you shouldn’t have any playback issues (providing your base connection is halfway decent).
- Streaming potential: It’s no good having a speedy VPN if it can’t unblock your preferred streaming service! We tested candidates with Dutch TV channels as well as popular international platforms, including NPO, Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video, to see just how well they fared against some of the toughest services to unblock.
- Security and privacy: Users have to be able to stream safely, so we only recommended VPNs with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a no-logs policy. Naturally, we prefer services with even more security tools built in.
- User-friendliness: Digital privacy should be available to everyone. For this reason, we’ve prioritized VPNs that have beginner-friendly apps, free live chat, and well-organized menus. Some even have special servers designed for streaming!
- Pricing: We’ll never recommend a service that charges more than it’s worth. Not only are the VPNs above fairly priced, but they all offer money-back guarantees to ensure you can try them before you commit.
This is just the beginning of our larger testing process. If you’re interested, we have a whole post that explains exactly how we put VPNs through their paces.
Privacy laws in the Netherlands
The Netherlands is generally known for upholding internet freedom and robust privacy regulations. Microsoft faced legal action from the Dutch Data Protection Authority (DPA) due to violating Dutch data protection laws through improper data processing. The country allows the use of VPNs, with numerous VPN services such as GOOSE VPN, proXPN, and Shade You being headquartered there.
Conversely, it’s part of the 14 Eyes alliance, an international surveillance coalition encompassing some European nations, the US, Canada, and Australia.
Plus, the Dutch Senate recently sanctioned a contentious data mining law that significantly enhances governmental access to information. This allegedly empowers intelligence agencies to infiltrate Wi-Fi hotspots, chat apps, and even hack into your devices if someone you’re acquainted with is suspected of a crime.
The Netherlands adopted the EU Data Retention Directive through the Telecommunications Data Retention Act until its nullification in 2014. This legislation mandated ISPs to amass user traffic and location data, storing it for a year. Ongoing revisions to data retention laws are in progress and are likely to change further due to GDPR implementation.
Given these factors, the constant law changes and potential erosion of privacy in the Netherlands could serve as a compelling rationale for utilizing a VPN while visiting or residing in the country.
Streaming Dutch TV Online: FAQs
What Dutch content can I stream with a VPN?
You can use a VPN to unblock the likes of NPO and RTL and watch the following Dutch TV shows:
- Het gouden uur
- Wie es de Mol?
- In de voetsporen van
- De HuizenFixers
- Tussen Kunst en Kitsch
- Echte Gooische Moeders
- Oorlog in de Kueken
- Holland’s Got Talent
- Race Om De Ringen
- The Dutch Way
Can I watch Dutch TV in the UK?
Unfortunately, most Dutch TV channels and streaming services are geo-blocked, so you won’t be able to access them in the UK unless you use a VPN. A VPN will help you unblock Dutch TV channels from anywhere in the world by connecting to a VPN server in the Netherlands.
Can I watch TV with Dutch subtitles abroad?
If you’re traveling in Belgium or a handful of other places like Aruba or Curacao, you may well be able to find Dutch subtitles on TV.
However, in most cases, your best bet is Netflix. Regardless of where you are in the world, all of this platform’s original content is available with Dutch subtitles. You can even turn on the Dutch audio, in case you just wanted to listen as you do other things.
Are there any Dutch movies on Netflix?
Netflix’s Dutch library has thousands of TV shows and movies, so there’s no shortage there. Additionally, Netflix Original shows are available worldwide, and they all come with Dutch audio and subtitles.
What Dutch TV can I watch online for free?
While some TV platforms and streaming services require a paid subscription, there are some channels that you can watch for free with the help of a VPN. These include the following:
- RTL 4
- RTL 5
Is it legal to stream Dutch TV with a VPN?
It might surprise you to learn that VPNs are legal in most countries. There are very few laws against accessing geo-restricted content with a VPN, however, this usually goes against the terms of service of whichever streaming platform you’re using.
There’s no need to worry, though. We’ve tested VPNs with dozens of streaming services over the years and have never once had an account banned (nor even heard of anyone who has). In most cases, your VPN will go completely undetected, but even if it’s not, you’ll simply have to disconnect it before you’re able to watch anything.
Will a VPN slow my connection down too much to watch live TV?
You’ll almost always notice slightly lower speeds when using a VPN. That’s because it takes a little extra time to encrypt your internet traffic and send it through a server in another country. However, as long as your base internet speeds are reasonably quick, you should still be able to live-stream TV while connected.
Most networks only offer 1080p live streams. To watch these with minimal buffering or stuttering, you only need speeds of around 10 Mbps. In other words, if you can get around 15 Mbps without a VPN, there likely won’t be any performance issues while watching live TV with the VPN active.